http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:29:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, crap. Big Bang Theory eps?  (Read 1145 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:31:41 AM »

Well, my crappy DVR frequently just decides to stop recording stuff.  It doesn't seem to like Modern Family, as I've had to buy episodes twice online.

Recently, though, it missed the whole last run of Big Bang Theory, so there are four whole episodes I haven't seen.  It seems CBS is stingy with eps, since only the last two are available online and neither Amazon Instant, Netflix nor Hulu has anything but those two. 

Through SideReel (which I hadn't heard of before), it looks like I can get the Canadian versions on iTunes, though I haven't actually tried downloading yet.  Plus I'd like to watch them on the TV without crappy quality, since the wife likes the show, too.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I might track these four episodes down?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 24, 2011, 04:31:41 AM

Well, my crappy DVR frequently just decides to stop recording stuff.  It doesn't seem to like Modern Family, as I've had to buy episodes twice online.

Recently, though, it missed the whole last run of Big Bang Theory, so there are four whole episodes I haven't seen.  It seems CBS is stingy with eps, since only the last two are available online and neither Amazon Instant, Netflix nor Hulu has anything but those two. 

Through SideReel (which I hadn't heard of before), it looks like I can get the Canadian versions on iTunes, though I haven't actually tried downloading yet.  Plus I'd like to watch them on the TV without crappy quality, since the wife likes the show, too.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I might track these four episodes down?

My wife found them through boxee (the free program running on windows, not the box itself) but I don't know how. Couldn't have been too hard though.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »

I'm sure they can be found up on the torrentz. If you don't mind doing a little hunting, I'm not sure if you have it setup to stream from your desktop unless you have an HTPC or something.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »

I don't think a torrent suggestion is very kosher around here.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »

Yeah, I'd rather avoid that.

I hadn't actually heard of Boxee, which surprises me, given it's pedigree.  Wow, that was quite a sentence.

Unfortunately, they also only have the last two eps available.  Grrr.  Stupid CBS.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »

Respectfully, what's wrong with torrenting an episode of a TV show?  saywhat  I understand not pirating a movie or a game, but TV that you pay for and just happened to miss?  Recording it on the PVR is ok, but downloading someone elses copy that they recorded on a PVR is bad?  That's new to me...
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »

I think they used to not have any full episodes available.  You would think a show that appeals to geeks would have more robust online options.  It was very annoying back when I could only record one show at a time and had to pick between BBT and Community.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on May 24, 2011, 03:07:47 PM

Respectfully, what's wrong with torrenting an episode of a TV show?  saywhat  I understand not pirating a movie or a game, but TV that you pay for and just happened to miss?  Recording it on the PVR is ok, but downloading someone elses copy that they recorded on a PVR is bad?  That's new to me...

There are rights and you're not paying for it, the advertisers are.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »

Which most of us fast forward through when the show airs. 

This is such a gray area.  He made a good faith effort to record them on his personal device and was let down by a failure of his equipment.  He then wants to watch the episodes in a fairly timely manner after he discovers the issue, but not timely enough for the network's arbitrary decision.  It's not like he's trying to compile an archive of all the episodes so he can watch them later to avoid having to purchase the DVDs.

And remember, torrents are not inherently dishonest.  It's a tool like any other that can be used for good or ill.  But as this forum is not owned by me, the rules of the owners would stand as to what is an approprate discussion.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »

Recording something for your own personal use has always been okay.

Recording something and then distributing it over the internets?  Not so much.  It's bootlegging, same as it would be for a movie or game.  Also, CBS is a broadcast network in the US - technically all you need is an antenna to get it, so you aren't paying for it.

As for Freezer's comment, the lack of an ability to watch this online has always baffled me, too.  I wonder how CBS convinced Lorre to finally allow for episodes to be put online in full.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »

You can't get eps of other CBS shows except the two most recent and one or two limited eps, from what I could tell in my limited research.

Isgrimmur, you're right that I would be a legitimate excuse for a legal torrent download of these eps.  I would even watch commercials to get them, at this point.  However, I don't think it's quite as grey an area as you imagine.  The means to get episodes legally help to pay everyone involved in the show (mostly the studio suits of course), including cast, crew and music rights.  Even if you don't pay for them, someone did.  If I skip over the commercials, that doesn't keep me from seeing them rush by in the background (with even an odd chance that I might stop on an interesting one).  Subliminal advertising doesn't seem like it's very effective, but it's better than nothing, as far as advertisers are concerned.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »

I certainly support paying for the episodes if I was looking to purchase and keep the episode.  But for something that someone is going to watch once and delete, that someone made the good faith effort to record when it was on, and seeks an alternate method to make up for the failings of their technology, I'm not going to run them out of town on a rail.

Now if someone were torrenting the episodes specifically to own and enjoy the episodes multiple times at a later date, I would have issues with it.

If Hulu Plus had a monthly pass that would give you access to more past episodes, I'd likely purchase that over going the torrent route in your situation.  I don't know what, if any, other options are available to get the past episodes and would always advocate exploring those options prior to the torrent route for a TV show.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »

The streaming media services are woefully underserviced in general, IMO.  Lame, limited selections all around.  I would have joined some if there were some halfway decent options.  Even the one I'm in by default (Amazon Instant) I've only used once (to show my kid what Tennessee Tuxedo was like).

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »

Bullwinkle, if you just wanna catch up, the CBS web site usually has at least the last two episodes up online (the quality's OK as far as web sites go, imho):
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/
*Full episodes are usually in the lower left on most CBS web show sites.

For some reason they only have the last couple, and then a couple moldy oldies from January at the site -- at least when I checked.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:46:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 24, 2011, 10:41:50 PM

Bullwinkle, if you just wanna catch up, the CBS web site usually has at least the last two episodes up online (the quality's OK as far as web sites go, imho):
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/
*Full episodes are usually in the lower left on most CBS web show sites.

For some reason they only have the last couple, and then a couple moldy oldies from January at the site -- at least when I checked.

Yeah, the problem is I'm 4 behind.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 11:16:36 PM »

So legitimate question, let's say you install Boxee and it has all of it's scrapers and it finds:

link to BBT S04E20

that, (I did actually find a link to it that is streamed from a site) but it's obvious it isn't endored by CBS at all. And it streams it out to your TV, is that worse or the same as torrenting?

I didn't mean to anger anyone by suggesting torrents sorry if I did. Anyway, Boxee and other things similar to Boxee hunt around everywhere for the episodes, sometimes off of youtube or whatever it's how they work.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 12:17:49 AM »

Just torrent it. If CBS wanted you to watch it any other way then they would have made it available
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 01:28:50 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on May 24, 2011, 04:32:26 PM

Recording something for your own personal use has always been okay.

Recording something and then distributing it over the internets?  Not so much.  It's bootlegging, same as it would be for a movie or game.  Also, CBS is a broadcast network in the US - technically all you need is an antenna to get it, so you aren't paying for it.

As for Freezer's comment, the lack of an ability to watch this online has always baffled me, too.  I wonder how CBS convinced Lorre to finally allow for episodes to be put online in full.

Also, if you own all the episodes already from downloading on the Internet, you don't need to buy the season DVDs they will inevitably sell.  In the end, they own the content and can say what can be done with it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 01:48:26 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 25, 2011, 12:17:49 AM

Just torrent it. If CBS wanted you to watch it any other way then they would have made it available

But there are other, legal ways.  Like reruns (BBT is one show CBS consistently reruns) or DVDs.

mike
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 04:32:30 AM »

Exactly! There has to be a paradigm shift or revenue is left behind.

In a 24 hour society is everyone able to watch the original airing? Does everyone own a DVR? Buy it on DVD? This is 2011, check DVD sales. Wait for a re-run? Read the 24 hour sentence again.

Perhaps, make all episodes available to stream on-demand while selling commercial time within those streams. I'd sure go that route if available.

Or, a few mouse clicks and you get a torrent in whatever HD resolution you desire. Hmm, I wonder why torrents are multiplying like rabbits?   

/\/\ike
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »

Quote from: mike on May 25, 2011, 04:32:30 AM

In a 24 hour society is everyone able to watch the original airing? Does everyone own a DVR? Buy it on DVD? This is 2011, check DVD sales. Wait for a re-run? Read the 24 hour sentence again.

Perhaps, make all episodes available to stream on-demand while selling commercial time within those streams. I'd sure go that route if available.

Or, a few mouse clicks and you get a torrent in whatever HD resolution you desire. Hmm, I wonder why torrents are multiplying like rabbits?    

If I create something and even if everyone wants it but I refuse to sell it in a way that meets their needs, that does not give the potential audience the right to steal it. On the flip, the media is largely behind the gotta have it now consumption of products so I guess they reap what they sew.

That said, it's lame that they're not available in a way that's more transparent. Chances are only 2 episodes are available so that people will feel they need to buy hulu + in order to see older ones.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »

I think the best example would be to look at the music industry right now. CD sales are down the drain, the RIAA is still trying to fight this losing battle and now it's the TV/Movie industries turn. I would watch everything on Netflix if I could, just like I now listen to all my music by buying it on iTunes, or streaming it legally. That only came about because everyone downloaded it illegally. It's an uphill battle but people are going to go the easiest route to obtain what they want. Torrenting provides an avanue that is stupidly easy, download it, turn streaming on and watch it on your xbox/ps3/whatever, the entire process can by automated there are programs that automatically convert TV shows and films to any format needed, you get 1 copy that can be used with any/all of your devices. How is that not easier than, waiting for the show at the right time downloading it on your DVR and sitting down and watching it whereas you could be streaming it from your computer to your tablet or phone no matter where you are? My two cents anyway.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 25, 2011, 03:48:19 PM

If I create something and even if everyone wants it but I refuse to sell it in a way that meets their needs, that does not give the potential audience the right to steal it. On the flip, the media is largely behind the gotta have it now consumption of products so I guess they reap what they sew.

That said, it's lame that they're not available in a way that's more transparent. Chances are only 2 episodes are available so that people will feel they need to buy hulu + in order to see older ones.

They're not even on Hulu+.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »

I mark a distinction between network broadcast shows and everything else as far as torrents are concerned.  They were presented "free" to the end consumer with the expectation of the money on the back end from advertisers, DVD sales, and rental agreements. 

Unfortunately, the modern world has made us into an on-demand society, much the fault of the media companies to begin with.  And then they want to take us to task when we seek other methods for acting like they taught us to act.  Artificially introducing scarcity into the market is a losing game with the resources that are in the hands of the public today.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 25, 2011, 04:58:29 PM

I mark a distinction between network broadcast shows and everything else as far as torrents are concerned.  They were presented "free" to the end consumer with the expectation of the money on the back end from advertisers, DVD sales, and rental agreements. 

Unfortunately, the modern world has made us into an on-demand society, much the fault of the media companies to begin with.  And then they want to take us to task when we seek other methods for acting like they taught us to act.  Artificially introducing scarcity into the market is a losing game with the resources that are in the hands of the public today.

^ This.

And the networks are evil. See Flash Forward and Bones for prime examples.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 25, 2011, 04:47:47 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 25, 2011, 03:48:19 PM

They're not even on Hulu+.

Well in that case, I would recommend kidnapping the cast and forcing them to perform the episodes in your basement and warn them that if they displease you they will get the hose again.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on May 25, 2011, 05:11:45 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 25, 2011, 04:58:29 PM

^ This.

And the networks are evil. See Flash Forward and Bones for prime examples.

Going to get even worse with the NBC/Comcast merger. Being the distribution and the creator. Wouldn't be surprised if NBC stuff get's pulled from Netflix and Hulu and every other source pretty quickly.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 24, 2011, 03:54:16 PM

Which most of us fast forward through when the show airs. 

This is such a gray area.  He made a good faith effort to record them on his personal device and was let down by a failure of his equipment.  He then wants to watch the episodes in a fairly timely manner after he discovers the issue, but not timely enough for the network's arbitrary decision.  It's not like he's trying to compile an archive of all the episodes so he can watch them later to avoid having to purchase the DVDs.

And remember, torrents are not inherently dishonest.  It's a tool like any other that can be used for good or ill.  But as this forum is not owned by me, the rules of the owners would stand as to what is an approprate discussion.

Rhetorical question:

Would you be ok with breaking into the bar of a catering company from a wedding you were at with an open bar in order to get a beer after the catering company shut down for the night?  You grabbed a six-pack before they shut down, but you spilled one all over the place and wanted to replace it.  Or would that be theft?  Realizing that open bars are paid for by the hour...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »

In your rhetorical question, that would equate me to breaking into CBS's network to download it from them.

I would liken it more to there being an open bar that was allowing people to fill their growlers up with free beer, having it sponsored/donated by the beer company.  You miss last call, but stop by a buddy's house that did make it and kept his in the fridge.  He's willing to share what he had.  The beer was acquired in a legal manner, just being made available by someone else after the fact that had made the acquisition during the rules in place at the time. 

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 25, 2011, 10:24:38 PM

In your rhetorical question, that would equate me to breaking into CBS's network to download it from them.

I would liken it more to there being an open bar that was allowing people to fill their growlers up with free beer, having it sponsored/donated by the beer company.  You miss last call, but stop by a buddy's house that did make it and kept his in the fridge.  He's willing to share what he had.  The beer was acquired in a legal manner, just being made available by someone else after the fact that had made the acquisition during the rules in place at the time. 

Bad anology.  Buddy != torrent, and purchased beer != intellectual property.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 12:15:22 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on May 25, 2011, 11:05:56 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 25, 2011, 10:24:38 PM

Bad anology.  Buddy != torrent, and purchased beer != intellectual property.

Also, I think you'll find the open bar drinks aren't meant to be taken home from the party.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »

No worse an analogy than breaking and entering. 

I think I've made my thoughts on this particularly narrow scenario clear.  I understand that not everyone is going to agree with them.  And I appreciate that no one has attempted to suggest that I would use the same logic when it came to paid content.  But I don't think that I have anything more of substance to add to this particular discussion at the moment.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 02:55:13 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 26, 2011, 01:00:01 AM

I think I've made my thoughts on this particularly narrow scenario clear.  I understand that not everyone is going to agree with them.  And I appreciate that no one has attempted to suggest that I would use the same logic when it came to paid content.  But I don't think that I have anything more of substance to add to this particular discussion at the moment.

You've made your thoughts clear, but clear thoughts based on faulty logic don't make those thoughts good ones, regardless of how you clear them with your moral values.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 03:19:31 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on May 26, 2011, 02:55:13 AM

You've made your thoughts clear, but clear thoughts based on faulty logic don't make those thoughts good ones, regardless of how you clear them with your moral values.

Also, I think you'd apply the same logic to paid content.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 03:32:36 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2011, 03:19:31 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on May 26, 2011, 02:55:13 AM

Also, I think you'd apply the same logic to paid content.

Indeed.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 04:08:34 AM »

You are both incorrect.  I neither use nor advocate torrents for the acquisition of paid content.  I spend money in the Amazon store to acquire my music and books.  I use Netflix to rent and stream my movies.

And I thought that I made it clear from my statements in this thread that my position was limited to a broadcast TV situation.  Apparently, I wasn't clear enough.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 04:09:28 AM »

While Im not one to condone video piracy,  I will jump in to say that in the case of CBS,  I.can almost let it slide.  They are by far the worst when it comes it video availability.  You cant even legally get online episodes of the Mentalist and Criminal Minds.  For most of their other shows, they provide 2 episodes, generally.  They are only legally available on Cbs.s site and are gone in a weeek or two.  Other networks generally provide 5 episodes and can be found on hulu or amazon as well.    The internet is rapidly becoming the main entertainment pipeline imto peoples homes,  CBS needs to do better or they will find themselves behind the curve, very soon.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:33 AM »

There are six full episodes available at tv.com right now:

http://www.tv.com/the-big-bang-theory/show/58056/videos.html?tag=vid_carousel;more

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

Quote from: Graham on May 26, 2011, 05:20:33 AM

There are six full episodes available at tv.com right now:

http://www.tv.com/the-big-bang-theory/show/58056/videos.html?tag=vid_carousel;more

Yeah, it's the last two and then random, earlier ones.  Thank you, though.

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 26, 2011, 04:08:34 AM

You are both incorrect.  I neither use nor advocate torrents for the acquisition of paid content.  I spend money in the Amazon store to acquire my music and books.  I use Netflix to rent and stream my movies.

And I thought that I made it clear from my statements in this thread that my position was limited to a broadcast TV situation.  Apparently, I wasn't clear enough.

And I thought it would be clear from using the exact same verbiage as you that I was joking.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2011, 12:06:13 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 26, 2011, 04:08:34 AM

And I thought it would be clear from using the exact same verbiage as you that I was joking.

Indeed.   icon_wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: