http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:26:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird Al's Latest Album, Mandatory Fun  (Read 724 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »

I have stolen this whole topic from GamersWithJobs and a user named Frahg but I wanted to share it with all of you!  Listen it is great!

Weird Al's latest album is coming tomorrow, and to promote it he'll be releasing a new video every day for eight days

All videos available at:  Weird Al's Website

7-14: Tacky

7-15: Word Crimes
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:29:02 PM by farley2k » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »

Watched a bit of the pharell (?) parody. not familiar with the original, but Al's version is annoying as crap.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »

Really?  How was that trip to the Amazon jungle for the last few months?  Because that song has been beaten to death everywhere icon_lol

http://youtu.be/y6Sxv-sUYtM

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 15, 2014, 06:30:09 PM

Really?  How was that trip to the Amazon jungle for the last few months?  Because that song has been beaten to death everywhere icon_lol

slywink

Is now a good time to mention that I spend most of my drive time listening to either the Bombcast or the Cagcast?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 15, 2014, 07:11:23 PM

slywink

Is now a good time to mention that I spend most of my drive time listening to either the Bombcast or the Cagcast?

Even so, it seems impossible to have not heard "Happy" somewhere!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 15, 2014, 07:32:47 PM

slywink

I would agree. I don't partake in "popular" music much but this song has raped my ears.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »

I'm about as unplugged from mainstream pop culture as anybody you'll ever meet, yet these songs somehow manage to worm their way into my consciousness. I heard that "Happy" song when I watched the video of the wrap party for the latest Star Trek Continues episode, for example.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:40:40 AM »

The song was originally a part of Despicable Me 2, which I have seen a few dozen times.  It has been a part of my life ever since...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »

I actually do sometimes listen to the radio, and have been to dance clubs that play current music.  However I hadn't heard Happy either.  I was quite surprised to find one I hadn't heard.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »

Foil

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »

Handy!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 16, 2014, 05:22:01 PM

Well, that went somewhere I wasn't expecting.

Love how he's getting support from people like Patton Oswalt and members of The State (and College Humor to boot).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

slywink

Yeah, no kidding, even people in Iran have got arrested for dancing to Happy lol.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:46:13 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 17, 2014, 03:53:41 PM

I only made it halfway through that one. The original song must be horrible if the parody makes my ears bleed.

Also, I hate music players that hide the volume control.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 01:26:15 AM »

I listened to the entire album today at work. Here's my track by track review. (Note - I was a huge Weird Al fan when I was younger. Older, not so much, but I still appreciate a good parody every now and again. I spoilered it since some people are sensitive about such things.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Handy" - I was familiar with Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" due to it being our guilty pleasure at work song. We kind of hate-love it. I liked Weird Al's version since I'm decidedly NON-handy, and it has a few funny lines.

"Lame Claim to Fame" - I've always thought Weird Al was best when he was doing original songs or more obscure parodies, and this falls into that category. I can't remember whose style this was a parody of (though I read it somewhere), but this song lists all those desperate claims people come up with to explain brushes with celebrity. Really liked this one because I'm guilty as charged.  icon_biggrin

"Foil" - While we're all probably completely burned out on Lorde's "Royals," this song's major saving grace is how it starts out as a pedestrian Weird Al food parody, and then takes a crazy 90 degree turn into conspiracy territory. I absolutely hated the first half of this parody until the brilliant second half redeemed it.

"Sports Song" - A rare misstep in original song territory, in my opinion. This ode to sports anthems basically riffs on "your team sucks" set to school fight song instrumentation. Thumbs down.

"Word Crimes" - As a grammar Nazi, this parody of Blurred Lines was one of the highlights of the album for me. Weird Al has a big dic.....tionary!

"My Own Eyes" - This is a parody of some Foo Fighters song I didn't recognize, and while it has some great lyrics about the weird stuff Weird Al has seen, a lot of it is drowned out by the instrumentation. (See "Tacky" for the same problem).

"NOW That's What I Call Polka!" - Any fan of Weird Al knows this is always one of the best parts of any of his albums. Another great mashup medley of the last 2-3 years of pop songs.

"Mission Statement" - As a Crosby, Stills, & Nash fan, I really appreciated the style he went for here. But damn if the lyrics aren't just completely boring. Just stating various business terminology cliches, the song goes on about 4 minutes too long.

"Inactive" - This parody of Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" falls a little flat compared to the other big mainstream parodies on the album. OK, I guess, but not one of my favorites.

"First World Problems" - One of my favorites of the album. Another original, but he heavily borrows from The Pixies which is just awesome. I'm also a fan of "first world problem" memes so I really enjoyed this one.

"Tacky" - Your love of this one, as shown in this thread, will probably be determined by how much you can stand "Happy." I liked it, but then again I'm a big Despicable Me 2 fan so I've liked the song every since then.

"Jackson Park Express" - This is another original, and Weird Al's attempt at the long 60's/70's story songs popularized by Arlo Guthrie. This thing is 9 minutes long, but unfortunately the laughs are spaced out far too much to hold my interest. It has some of the typical sadistic Weird Al imagery, but it loses its punch when stretched out this long.

Overall impressions - about half of the album is good, the other half is skippable. And the "good" side largely depends on your tolerance of hearing "Happy," "Royals," "Blurred Lines", and "Fancy" for the 10 millionth time.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 10:26:24 AM »

Chalk me up as another unfamiliar with the original.  While I've been aware of "Happy"'s existence for a while, I hadn't actually heard it until I clicked on Farley2k's link.
dobberhd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »

The album is $6 today on amazon.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »

Yellowking, My own eyes I believe is a parody of their style, not any particular song fwiw.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 03:11:59 AM »

Ah, thanks Hark. I haven't bought a Foo Fighters album since the late 90's so I figured I had just missed something.  icon_biggrin
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »

Listened to a couple of more songs and honestly I don't know how, beyond the initial chuckle factor or 'ooh he's clever' how anyone listen's to any song of his more than once.

He's obviously talented, but...

I owned one of his albums when I was a kid...Even Worse is apparently is what it was called and I think I listened to the whole thing twice. Other than Melanie and Twister the whole thing was pretty annoying.

TEHO, I guess.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 10:51:09 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 15, 2014, 10:50:00 PM

Really?  How was that trip to the Amazon jungle for the last few months?  Because that song has been beaten to death everywhere icon_lol

slywink

I would agree. I don't partake in "popular" music much but this song has raped my ears.

i would be super Happy to never have to hear it again in my life...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 01:35:53 AM »

Word Crimes is utterly brilliant.  That, alone, makes the album worth it.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »

...and it's going to enter the billboard charts at #1.  His first in a 30 year career that has outlasted most of the acts he lampooned.  Good job, Al.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: