http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:24:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weight tracking, feel free to join in!  (Read 11991 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »

Ron suggested I start a new thread for tracking my weight, feel free to join in anyone who would like to get in to better shape.

I intend to do one post per week and will edit the post with daily weight then my weekly average.

Overall Goal - 200 lbs

8/22/06 - 262.8 lbs
8/23/06 - 262.0 lbs
8/24/06 - 262.4 lbs
8/25/06 - 261.6 lbs
8/26/06 - 260.4 lbs
8/27/06 - 259.8 lbs
8/28/06 - 258.4 lbs
8/29/06 - 258.0 lbs
8/30/06 - 257.4 lbs
8/31/06 - 256.4 lbs
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:51:45 AM by Arkon » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:03:01 PM »

I'll join you Arkon. I need to lose 10 pounds before coming to Pittsburgh, as I plan on putting it all back on when you take me to the best, most fattening, sloth-laden, delicious restaraunts in the area!   I plan on redefining "Pig Out!"  icon_biggrin

8/22/06  -  180.0 lbs.  --->  but still insanely good looking!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:15:50 PM »

Sure sure - I'm in.

Goal - 185 by 12/1.

8/23 - 211.5
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:16:33 PM »

Great idea to get a thread going on this sort of thing...  Friday the last day of what will hopefully be the last 'weight loss challenge' I'll be a part of, or I'd play too.  Weekly weigh ins (especially with money on the line for certain timeframes with friends) can be a huge motivational factor.  146 for me this morning; my shortterm goal to stay under 150 between now and the spring.  (As I mentioned in another thread, I was low 190's four years ago at this point).

Good luck to you guys in reaching your goals!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:48:32 PM »

On August 14th I weighed 247.5 lbs.

Today I'm down to 242.75 lbs.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:29:42 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 23, 2006, 01:03:01 PM

I'll join you Arkon. I need to lose 10 pounds before coming to Pittsburgh, as I plan on putting it all back on when you take me to the best, most fattening, sloth-laden, delicious restaraunts in the area!   I plan on redefining "Pig Out!"  icon_biggrin

Hate to break it to you, but that was the old Arkon. New Arkon will be taking you to vegetable joints and tofu stands.  Oh and maybe he'll show you his walking course.

As for me and my weight, I'm tracking it on BC as a part of my marathon training, but I'm in.

I've lost about 8 or 9 off of my lifetime high of 205/206, but as I sit right now:

Goal for the Marathon is +/- 180.  Ideally, I'd be back at 173 for the race.

23/Aug/06: 197 lbs
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:31:32 PM by ATB » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 02:37:56 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 23, 2006, 02:29:42 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on August 23, 2006, 01:03:01 PM

Hate to break it to you, but that was the old Arkon. New Arkon will be taking you to vegetable joints and tofu stands.  Oh and maybe he'll show you his walking course.

As for me and my weight, I'm tracking it on BC as a part of my marathon training, but I'm in.

I've lost about 8 or 9 off of my lifetime high of 205/206, but as I sit right now:

Goal for the Marathon is +/- 180.  Ideally, I'd be back at 173 for the race.

23/Aug/06: 197 lbs

Lol, nah I will take him to some good places, and I will just eat sensibly!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »

I'm in.  I have a couple suggestions first though:

- I don't think a thread will work for this, as there will to much other talk, and weights will get lost fast.  If someone had a webpage somewhere, that'd be great, and have an easy to read layout.  Also great to have some kind of graph on it showing loss/gain for all of us.  I don't have a site, otherwise I'd consider doing it.

- Potentially make this a bit more interesting, say, set a goal for 3 months out, and put a game or something on the line.  If you miss the goal, you contribute a game to the site to be given away, or such.  Weight goals are all well and good, but helps to have some other motivation too.

That said...

I'm currently at 187 or so now, down from 206 10 weeks ago.  Weight loss and training for a half and full marathon were going great until Sunday.  At that point, after running 12 miles, the extremely complex task of putting my foot down flat went awry, and I now have a very badly twisted ankle that has put running on hold, and has me pretty damn down about potentially missing my 9/30 half marathon, and even if I make it, not doing well.

So...
now: 186
goal: 170 by 10/30

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »

Quote from: Scott on August 23, 2006, 03:02:44 PM

I'm in.  I have a couple suggestions first though:

- I don't think a thread will work for this, as there will to much other talk, and weights will get lost fast.  If someone had a webpage somewhere, that'd be great, and have an easy to read layout.  Also great to have some kind of graph on it showing loss/gain for all of us.  I don't have a site, otherwise I'd consider doing it.

- Potentially make this a bit more interesting, say, set a goal for 3 months out, and put a game or something on the line.  If you miss the goal, you contribute a game to the site to be given away, or such.  Weight goals are all well and good, but helps to have some other motivation too.

That said...

I'm currently at 187 or so now, down from 206 10 weeks ago.  Weight loss and training for a half and full marathon were going great until Sunday.  At that point, after running 12 miles, the extremely complex task of putting my foot down flat went awry, and I now have a very badly twisted ankle that has put running on hold, and has me pretty damn down about potentially missing my 9/30 half marathon, and even if I make it, not doing well.

So...
now: 186
goal: 170 by 10/30

Yeah it could get a bit cluttered, what about google spreadsheets?

Ok, set up a google spreadsheet, sent invites to those who have email addresses posted.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:18:59 PM by Arkon » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 03:50:12 PM »

Egads, this morning I am 277lbs on the nose.  But before you gasp, remember I am almost 6'5" tall and was a powerlifter for years.  Yeah, got a belly from hell right now though.

8/23/06: 277lbs

Goal: 225lbs  (52lb loss)

I moved the treadmill next to the computer area, and starting today I am on a strict 1500calorie a day diet with NO soda.  In addition, no food after 8pm at night. (late snacking is a huge problem for me.)

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 03:57:04 PM »

Sorry for the Derail but omg pigging out in Pittsburgh reminds me of those yummy yummy Pirmanti Bros. Sandwiches..Love that Pitts-burger cheesesteak..Shame we dont have good stuff like that in the south.  Good luck to you all in your weight loss endeavors
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 04:42:01 PM »

To those who don't have an email in thier profile, if you would like PM me your email and I can get you added to the google spreadsheet editor list so we can all enter our own data day by day.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 05:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 23, 2006, 03:50:12 PM

I am on a strict 1500calorie a day diet with NO soda.

I was trying no soda; and eventually I had to break down and have a cancercausing diet soda maybe once or twice a week...  It isn't ideal, but helped prevent me from going out and grabbing a 250 calories Coke (and having been doing between 1500 and 1800 calories since June, 250 is a lot)...

For ice cream fanatics who can't cut it out altogether; Edy's light is a lifesaver (so long as you stick to the 1/2 cup serving size, it's only up to 130 calories per serving)

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 05:11:17 PM »

I have no idea what my calorie intake is right now.  I just know I have cut back from what it was and am getting some exercise via walking.

Here are the links to the spreadsheet, not 100% sure if anyone can view or not...

GT Weight Tracking Spreadsheet

HTML Viewable version of spreadsheet
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 05:59:34 PM by Arkon » Logged
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 06:11:51 PM »

http://www.thedailyplate.com is an excellent way of tracking your caloric intake - I recommend it  thumbsup
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 07:32:57 PM »

Please add me to the spreadsheet, I updated to show Email.

I am NOT a big Soda fan so cutting it out is easy..  I actually prefer Vitamin Water over soda, and Kirkland brand sport drinks are only 120 Calories for a 20oz. Bottle.. Very nice stuff.

So far I am doing good today, I avoided the wifes famous choco-chip cookies, and had 2 salmon wraps for lunch (about 200cals each).  Total of about 500Cals today so far. That leaves me 1000cals for dinner.  Then I moved the treadmill to a spot where I will WANT to walk on it, and plan 30-40 min a night on that thing.

If history still holds for me, I can usually lose 10lbs the first week on a diet.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »

I moved the treadmill next to the computer area, and starting today I am on a strict 1500calorie a day diet with NO soda.  In addition, no food after 8pm at night. (late snacking is a huge problem for me.)
You can't maintain that, it isn't healthy for your weight.  Maybe for a few days if you have great willpower, but that's beyond any recommended loss.  Most doctors advice losing 2lbs tops a week, with 2.5lbs stretching it.  Just be careful.

Also, losing 10lbs the first week probably is water and other somewhat fake weight.  I don't think you start seeing the real, good loss until a few weeks.  If you can maintain for 10 weeks+ then you'll really start cruising.

Anyway, not trying to single anyone out, just that to make it long term, you have to be careful what you eat.  Losing weight to fast is also bad for your body, heart, etc.

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »

Trust me, I know all about it, I have done extensive research on diet, food and health for several years.  My wife being a MD also helps with these types of matters.  For me, the case now is this weight is causing long term health issues, and the benefits of losing it fast outweigh the risks of having the weight!

I agree on the shock value of rapid weight loss, it can make you pretty sick..   I am aware of the first 10lbs being mostly superficial waterweight.  I generally can lose 15-20lbs per month on a good solid diet with exercise.

The key is exercise, dieting alone seldom works well..

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »

The key is exercise, dieting alone seldom works well..
I completely agree.  I was doing great until my ankle popped on Sunday.  Not only do you have all the benefits of exercise, but I don't really want to eat that cookie when I know it'll undo 3 of the miles I ran in the morning!

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 12:38:43 AM »

My body responds remarkably well to exercise, I cut right up in a matter of days, not weeks working out.  Most of that stems from years of lifting, and powerlifting.  Its like my muscles are there, but hidden by some flab right now waiting to get that burst of blood and oxygen.   icon_biggrin

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 01:37:27 AM »

About a week ago I was up to 255.  I got down to 250 but left for a trip where food and drink would be running aplenty.  We'll see where I'm at when I get home. slywink
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 04:27:11 AM »

I'm in.  Get me access to the spreadsheet and I'll post away. 

Currently 262 at 5'10"
Goal: 210

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 05:13:39 AM »

No food after 8pm is killin' me.. I'm sitting here dreaming of a hamburger that I have in the fridge..

Probably best to just hit the sack, you aren't hungry in your sleep, then have a nice breakfast.

1500 cals on the nose today.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »

Invites sent to those who requested them to be able to edit/view the spreadsheet.

So far I am getting at least 2.5 miles per day walking for my exercise, need to do a better job of counting the calories tho I think.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 12:06:16 PM »

Thanks for the email Arkon, I'll update the sheet today.

---
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »

As for the spreadsheet:

What we have so far is very basic.  Feel free to edit the design if anyone out there is a spreadsheet guru.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 02:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 24, 2006, 05:13:39 AM

No food after 8pm is killin' me.. I'm sitting here dreaming of a hamburger that I have in the fridge..

Probably best to just hit the sack, you aren't hungry in your sleep, then have a nice breakfast.

1500 cals on the nose today.
If that is just food intake, its not anywhere near enough caloric intake for your weight when you factor in any exercise at all. You are going to start cannibalizing the muscle you insist is under there- icon_wink- very soon. Ask your wife, or I will drag up my old thread on the other forum and post some statistics and numbers that the FDA and other institutes have come up with regarding healthy daily caloric intake for dieters. Your wife is an MD, I can't  fathom she would tel you that having that few calories is healthy. its not the rapidity of the weight loss that concerns me, its the lack of proper food and nutritional intake. How much protein can you get with that few calories?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »

From what I am reading, 2100 calories should be about what I need per day to maintain a weight loss of 1.5 lbs per week, with my current activity level, granted that would change as I loose weight correct?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 02:49:03 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 24, 2006, 02:38:26 PM

From what I am reading, 2100 calories should be about what I need per day to maintain a weight loss of 1.5 lbs per week, with my current activity level, granted that would change as I loose weight correct?
Can you break down your weight, current caloric intake daily (Roughly), and expected exercise level and length? I can give you some good ideas from there.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 03:32:37 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 24, 2006, 02:49:03 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 24, 2006, 02:38:26 PM

Can you break down your weight, current caloric intake daily (Roughly), and expected exercise level and length? I can give you some good ideas from there.

Current weight is 262 lbs.  If I had to guess on calorie intake, before starting to watch what I ate this week, I was probably close to 3500 calories daily, while I generally ate good food, my portion control was way out of whack.  Right now my exercise consists of 2 20 minute walks (.75 - 1 mile, good bit of hills) during the work day and then another 20-45 minute walk at night depending on how I feel.  I also do a series of exercises before bed such as push ups and crunches. ( not able to do very many of either yet, but working on it).
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 12:31:06 PM »

8/25/06 - 261.6 lbs.

On a side note, I have been walking every day, but am getting very sore, both my shins and calves.  Do I just need to grin and bear it and keep up and it will eventually go away, or do I need to take it easy until the pain recedes some?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 01:58:13 PM »

Ok Arkon, some answers.

You need to for the first month or so, lower your caloric intake to about 3000 a day (this will go lower later). So I want you to cut out 500 or so a day in addition to your exercise, which is good for you, and a good start, but fairly low intensity and wont burn a ton-say maybe 250 cals more (conservatively).

What I would really like you to do in terms of exercising is compliment one walk a day with one sessino of eliptical, running, or biking. I really would recommend elliptical. It will help tremendously. I would also like to see you do 40 minutes of weights 3 times a week to start.

As for diet specifics. Would like to see you break down 20% fats, 30% carbs, and 50% protein for the start. We really want to eliminate candies, cookies, processed sugars and carbs, and regular soda/juice. They are killer. Ever day have a candy bar, a couple cookies, one coke, something like that to satisfy your sugar cravings. People that deny themselves 6 days a week, or for the first 3 months or whatever completely, are usually destined to fail or go the other way and gorge for months later. It's not healthy-just remember to factor in that treat into you calories. As much as I hate to say it, for the first month you should be counting and tracking the calories and what you eat. That is the only way to get an accurate count of what you are taking in. If you do this, combined with your exercise, we will probably see a 1.5-2.0 pound loss per week-probably closer to 1.5 pounds until you increase the amount and intensity of exercise. Many people here and elsewhere will tell you to cut your calories even lower to start. Don't. You are a big guy. You need more than 1500 calories to function, and your body will start cannibalizing muscle at anything less than about 2500. There is no need to go crazy and get lethargic, tired, angry, and weak to do this a tad faster. Eat smart and a tad less, and it will be fine. Needless to say, except for one meal or so a week, pizza, hot dogs, fatty hamburgers (more than 7% fat), fast food, cake, ice cream, etc-is gone.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 25, 2006, 12:31:06 PM

8/25/06 - 261.6 lbs.

On a side note, I have been walking every day, but am getting very sore, both my shins and calves.  Do I just need to grin and bear it and keep up and it will eventually go away, or do I need to take it easy until the pain recedes some?

Take at least a day off. Maybe two. You should be able to walk every day with little to no physical pain, but my guess is your shins and calves are both underdeveloped and not strong enough to handle the stress of your weight walking that frequently-which is GOOD. This is not a putdown in anyway. The fact that they hurt means they are trying to get stronger. Take a day, maybe two at most, and try to let the swelling go down. Stretch a little bit each day, and try maybe to bike a little on off days from walking to keep your heart rate up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »

Oh I almost forgot. I would really like to see you supplementing your diet with lean protein shakes. The easy suggestion is Optimum Nutrition Whey. I like the mint chocolate. It doesn't really taste good but its cheap and easy to get down. I think its maybe 160 calories for 24g of protein, with VERY little fats and carbs and other crap. Whatever you do for protein, do not get a mass builder!! Get lean whey/casein/whatever. Take...man..I would like you to take in maybe 100 grams a day in extra shakes. It suppresses some appetite, makes your metabolism work faster, and gives you much less carbs to burn. I figure you were probably eating way too many carbs before either way smile In total though, I would like to see you get no less than .75 * your body weight of protein, so...lets say 175 grams so as not to scare you off. Get at least 75 grams from supplementing and your life will be much easier smile
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2006, 02:18:23 PM »

Also I would like to suggest Vitamin Water from Glaceau instead of Soda..  Only 110cals for 20oz bottle, lotsa nutrients!  Compare that to Soda, zero value, zero nutrients, and what 250-280 cals?

3500 calories = 1 pound

Let's do the math:

1 20 oz. soda = 250 calories                                                                                               

1 20 oz. soda/day - 1750 calories/week

1 20 oz. soda/day for 2 weeks = 1 pound

1 20 oz. soda/day for 1 month = 2 pounds

1 20 oz. soda/day for 1 year = 24 pounds!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »

I don't have a gym membership and don't really have the money for one either at this point, nor do I have a bike or weights, so I can only do things like walking/jogging at this point.  I have 2 bad knees so jogging/running doesn't work.  I am actually suprised at how far I have been able to walk without my right knee giving out.  I am also nursing a bad shoulder which makes push ups very painful, but still trying so I can strengthen it up.

I don't eat candy, cookies or snacks in general, and I only drink water, with the occasional glass of unsweetened iced tea.  I know my carb intake was way too high, I like bread, I like pasta.  I have cut back on both of these and when I do have them I am being sensible with portion sizes.  I do need to start counting calories, but not 100% sure exactly how to do that.  For example if I go online and look at some websites they will give calories for say an omelet, but they don't include what that portion size was, was it a 1 egg omelet, or was it 2.  Or for example I had some meatloaf the other day, but a website will list a calorie amount but not a serving size.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 25, 2006, 02:18:23 PM

Also I would like to suggest Vitamin Water from Glaceau instead of Soda..  Only 110cals for 20oz bottle, lotsa nutrients!  Compare that to Soda, zero value, zero nutrients, and what 250-280 cals?

3500 calories = 1 pound

Let's do the math:

1 20 oz. soda = 250 calories                                                                                               

1 20 oz. soda/day - 1750 calories/week

1 20 oz. soda/day for 2 weeks = 1 pound

1 20 oz. soda/day for 1 month = 2 pounds

1 20 oz. soda/day for 1 year = 24 pounds!

I honestly don't remember when the last time was that I had a soda.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 02:53:51 PM »

Fantastic calorie tracking website - Calorieking.com.  I've used this one when I was more concerned about my calorie intake (in my case it was maintaining a high enough intake!).  Great interface and an unbelievably complete food database.  Only downside is that it's pay - like $30 for a whole year - but I think they have a free trial.

A good free one is fitday.com.  Not quite as good interface and not as many foods in the db but it's not hard to set up yourself.  Both of these sites let you select food, then select serving size, and it computes the nutrients from that.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »

Counting calories is a total pain to start.  After a while you start to know that eggs are 70 calories each, and that 2% milk shredded cheese (depending) is maybe 80 calories per 1/4 cup.  Fruit I generally assumed 100 calories per; some are more, many are less, but the math was just easier for me...  But basically, the longer you do it, the more it becomes second nature and you can kind of guestimate something close enough... 

The big thing is to never get discouraged.  There will be days you go over your desired calories.  Well, not a big deal so long as you stay on track for the next day. 

Good job on the walking; 'seconded' on taking a day off here and there until you don't feel pain.  Overdoing any exercise is bad, since an injury will take you out of that game completely.

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2006, 06:15:11 PM »

One intersting thing I learned when I changed to a healthy lifestyle over a year ago is how misleading food labels are, specifically concerning fat.  Like Calvin said, you want a certain percentage of your calories per day to be from fat, but you don't want it to be the  "bad" fat, you want the Omegas.  So, take "2%" milk for example.  2% milk sounds low fat enough, right?!  Well, not really.  To get the TRUE fat amount in there, you have to look at the serving size, the calories in there, and fat calories per that serving.  Using the 2% milk you get:

Serving Size:  1 cup
Total Calories per serving: 130
Fat  Calories per serving: 45

Divide 45 by 130 to get .34, or 34% FAT!  (Thus the reason I drink only skim!)

The labels are misleading because they can give you fat by weight, by volume (as in milk), or whatever they feel like.  The TRUE number is in the calories!  Even "lean" beef is misleading.  You'll see labels that say "4% fat", etc.  Once again, you have to look at the calories/fat calories to get the real number.  They are using the fat by weight method.  Muscle is heavier than fat, so it looks better to use this method.  What they are saying is 4% of that packages weight is fat, the rest is the "muscle" of the meat.  BUT - your body uses calories, NOT WEIGHT!  Let's break down this 4% lean beef (using real numbers by the way):

Serving size: 4 oz
Calories per serving: 140
Fat Calories per serving: 40

40/140 = .28, or 28% FAT!

Be careful, hope this helps, and good luck!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: