http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:24:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We need fresh blood- dont we?  (Read 4876 times)
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »

if you want to drive more traffic to the site... why not have one of the pretty gals that post here - post on her blog about the great forum?  and have pics of pretty gals on the front page... isn't it that simple?  Tongue

and maybe open up a social gaming/twittercentric game subforum

and we would probably need a 50 shades of gray/vampire movie forum (but on a more serious note... a book or movie sub forum might actually make sense)
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2012, 01:43:23 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on July 07, 2012, 01:10:55 AM

I'm not into console gaming much - I have horrible dexterity, etc.  Trying to figure out what button to push literally gives me a headache.  ABXYTrigger1Trigger2, etc.  Probably not harder than the PC, but I'm used to pcs.  I'm obviously not an action gamer so I realize that I am a dinosaur in the gaming world. 

This is me, too, so I probably won't be going into the gaming forum anymore. Not that I posted much in the PC Games forum anyway. I did like to lurk there, but I'll cope.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »

thumbsup  On the forums change.  I like the consolidation, it gives everything a cleaner, sleeker look.  Like CeeKay said, if you have something you need to express something as platform specific in the Console/PC Gaming forum, just put it in the topic title.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2012, 02:29:11 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 07, 2012, 01:43:23 AM

I'm not into console gaming much - I have horrible dexterity, etc.  Trying to figure out what button to push literally gives me a headache.  ABXYTrigger1Trigger2, etc.  Probably not harder than the PC, but I'm used to pcs.  I'm obviously not an action gamer so I realize that I am a dinosaur in the gaming world. 

This is me, too, so I probably won't be going into the gaming forum anymore. Not that I posted much in the PC Games forum anyway. I did like to lurk there, but I'll cope.

Sadly I am finding myself in this boat as well.  I don't do console gaming anymore, haven't owned a console in over a year now.  I dipped my toe into the new combined forum, pretty much saw a bunch of PS3/360 threads and decided I am likely not going to go back in to try and sort through to find the PC threads.  That leaves me with reading off-topic now and again, and using the new analog games section to discuss the D&D campaign.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2012, 03:01:20 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 07, 2012, 02:29:11 AM

Sadly I am finding myself in this boat as well.  I don't do console gaming anymore, haven't owned a console in over a year now.  I dipped my toe into the new combined forum, pretty much saw a bunch of PS3/360 threads and decided I am likely not going to go back in to try and sort through to find the PC threads.  That leaves me with reading off-topic now and again, and using the new analog games section to discuss the D&D campaign.

I'm really scratching my head on this one. Out of 38 threads on the first page I count at least 20 that are PC relevant. You see the bracketed platform suffix on the console ones because they were already in a combined forum. When everybody starts giving the same treatment to PC title threads I imagine the ratio will still be considerably good.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2012, 03:26:13 AM »

Holy crap, was I an agent for change?  I have to say I'm surprised to see that things were consolidated but, where I suggested it, I think it is the right move.   I think it should foster more discussion as it will draw eyes to topics that people may not have noticed.  Also with so many games being cross platform those games will see increased discussion.  Really, my most anticipated game of the year is Xcom and is coming out
for consoles and PC and I like the idea of having all the discussion about games like that all in one place.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2012, 04:04:33 AM »

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but the reason I post less frequently is due to my backlog. Becoming a full-blooded post-college adult has restricted my gaming time to where I'm waaay behind the curve on new releases. So when forum activity picked up on that shiny new Mass Effect 3, I was busy beginning Mass Effect 2. Thus I have nothing to contribute to any new release topics, unless it is a game I've been absolutely on pins and needles to play.

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2012, 11:22:22 AM »

I hope you have another seat in that boat for me as well. The last console i owned was a PS2, and I only played about 3 games on it. PC gaming is the only gaming that interests me.

That's the main thing that really bugs me about visiting NeoGAF; they sometimes have very interesting debate topics but it's mostly "contaminated" with console games I've never heard of and have no interest in. I really have to dig around for the PC game posts there. But I'm aware that GT is not NeoGAF and as long as topics here have headers indicating console/PC type, it might still be tolerable.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »

Quote from: Chordian on July 07, 2012, 11:22:22 AM

I hope you have another seat in that boat for me as well. The last console i owned was a PS2, and I only played about 3 games on it. PC gaming is the only gaming that interests me.

That's the main thing that really bugs me about visiting NeoGAF; they sometimes have very interesting debate topics but it's mostly "contaminated" with console games I've never heard of and have no interest in. I really have to dig around for the PC game posts there. But I'm aware that GT is not NeoGAF and as long as topics here have headers indicating console/PC type, it might still be tolerable.

I think some of you PC only stalwarts need to pay more attention to the console space.   Pretty much every big Fps or Rpg is multi platform these days.  There's also a lot of stuff in the console space that would appeal to the Pc gamer.  Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma being two recent RPGs that i think the Pc crowd would enjoy.  The reason it matters is that with Dark Souls it is finally getting a PC version and no small part of that is from the demand of pc folks and online petitions.    If pc only folks had collectively ignored the console space that Dark Souls port wouldn't be happening.

On the flip side there's something like Xcom.  Xcom is probably one of the most anticipated games of the year of the old PC gamer, but it's also coming out for consoles.  The console only set, despite there having been a console version of the original Xcom, really don't know why they should be excited about it.  Now assuming the game lives up to expectations, we'd all want it to succeed so we get more games like that or a sequel a lot sooner than last time.   Now with a split forum, the PC folks would go crazy for it in the PC subforum, and the console forum might get a thread on it that would languish and die.   In the joint forum the console folks that aren't familiar with the title will now see a very active thread for the game and potentially be much more inclined to check it out.  That then further benefits discussion and success of the title.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:49:51 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 07, 2012, 12:26:12 PM

I think some of you PC only stalwarts need to pay more attention to the console space.   Pretty much every big Fps or Rpg is multi platform these days.  There's also a lot of stuff in the console space that would appeal to the Pc gamer.  Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma being two recent RPGs that i think the Pc crowd would enjoy.  The reason it matters is that with Dark Souls it is finally getting a PC version and no small part of that is from the demand of pc folks and online petitions.    If pc only folks had collectively ignored the console space that Dark Souls port wouldn't be happening.

On the flip side there's something like Xcom.  Xcom is probably one of the most anticipated games of the year of the old PC gamer, but it's also coming out for consoles.  The console only set, despite there having been a console version of the original Xcom, really don't know why they should be excited about it.  Now assuming the game lives up to expectations, we'd all want it to succeed so we get more games like that or a sequel a lot sooner than last time.   Now with a split forum, the PC folks would go crazy for it in the PC subforum, and the console forum might get a thread on it that would languish and die.   In the joint forum the console folks that aren't familiar with the title will now see a very active thread for the game and potentially be much more inclined to check it out.  That then further benefits discussion and success of the title.

I am not a "PC only stalwart", I have no problem with console games, I used to own every console on the market.  My issue is I only have one TV in my house, and with a wife and 2 kids, I can not monopolize the TV to play games.  That leaves me with the PC as my viable gaming platform.  Your argument about getting console games to the PC isn't really an argument to me, due to the fact that console games ported to the PC are generally really bad ports, and for me personally, I can't stand FPS games, and while I love RPGs, I have no desire to play the anger/frustration generator...I mean Dark Souls series, and while Dragon's Dogma looks neat, see my previous comment on ports.

I liked the fact that previously I could go in to the PC games forum, and look at the top 6-10 threads to see if anything interested me.  Now I have to filter through a bunch of threads I have no desire to read, to get to ones I might be interested in reading.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »

I'm new again to PC gaming and also like the division, because PC games pose a set of questions that just don't make sense in a console/combined thread.  Things like DRM, mods, system specs and performance - the two forums made it easy for me to look over these issues.  Now if we stay diligent and keep PC threads apart from Console threads, I'll be more happy - but I can see why it'd be nice to keep PC / Console apart - it's a good filter.  That and you'll notice certain games that ARE multiplatform (as in console / PC - NOT PS3 / 360) tend to have a dominant thread in either Console OR PC - not both.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »

You can plug a console into a pc monitor btw, I use the same screen for PC and console gaming.  Not sure the 'only have one TV' excuse works since the PS2 generation.  ninja
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 07, 2012, 07:14:53 PM

You can plug a console into a pc monitor btw, I use the same screen for PC and console gaming.  Not sure the 'only have one TV' excuse works since the PS2 generation.  ninja

It does when you have limited space at your desk, which is taken up by the PC tower and a printer.  But you are right, I suppose the truth is the impetus in getting rid of them was a combination of:

1.  I hadn't powered on my consoles for over 9 months before getting rid of them
2.  Games have gotten to be expensive when I have two kids and a house taking up most of money in a tight economy
3.  My kids kept asking to play the consoles, and I have no desire to have my kids playing games...if I could travel through time I would find some way to keep myself from ever getting hooked on games all those years ago.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »

Ok, so from a user experience perspective, what I'm hearing from both sides of this coin is that the real solution to this problem lies not in how we demarcate the forums, but rather a need for more robust tools so that the users can define their own experience better.

Here's my 'perfect world' solution for all of this, and what I am working towards:

You start a new thread about a new game. In the thread creation dialog you select the thread type as 'game', which gives you an autocompleting field for the game title that matches it up to our game tagging system on the site. You also can choose platform(s). This basically ties your thread into every game record, game review, news post, forum post, etc that exists on the site, surfacing deep links, screenshots, box art, latest news, whatever in not only the thread but everywhere else that connection exists. The taxonomy afforded to the system enables you, the user, to filter it all accordingly (just as we do in the rest of the site), and even gives you the ability to persist those filters. On your user profile page you are even exposed to a feed based on your preferences. New users coming into the front of the site get exposed to conversations going on in forum threads and forum posters are exposed to content published elsewhere. Particularly juicy news or content that forum posters share can even be evaluated by site editors and pushed to the front of the site as news, credited to the original author and tagged accordingly (with the author's consent), further elevating the community voice in a more external fashion.

Now some of that I know is absolutely possible, some of it I need to work out, and the driving force behind all of it is providing more tools and involvement with our community throughout the site. The key is providing the right tools for you guys to have more control over your experience. You don't want your forum posts ever promoted to the news stream? No problem there's a switch for that. You just want to see PC only posts in your gaming forum? Here's a persistent filter for that.

I don't know how long it's going to take to get to that ideal, but it's the project I am focusing on right now.

Mike Dunn
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »

I think combining the Portable and Console forums would have made a lot more sense than the PC/Console merge.  Just my $.02...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »

Mostly, I think your suggestions would be great, Fool.  The only hiccup I see would be in creating a thread for a game you guys hadn't hooked into the site yet.

Also, I kind of agree with Gratch.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »

in retrospect all the merging did seem quite sudden, perhaps there should have been a poll or a subject were it was more obvious such discussion was taking place.  I seem to remember such topics for portable gaming and the sports forum.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 07, 2012, 11:44:05 PM

Mostly, I think your suggestions would be great, Fool.  The only hiccup I see would be in creating a thread for a game you guys hadn't hooked into the site yet.

Also, I kind of agree with Gratch.

Ahhh, but the association can also be added to the thread after it's created...

As for the portable forum, the diversity of platforms is even greater. It's a broader category.

Mike Dunn
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »

The sub forum thing is sort of annoying and doesn't seem to serve any real purpose.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2012, 01:01:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2012, 11:45:46 PM

in retrospect all the merging did seem quite sudden, perhaps there should have been a poll or a subject were it was more obvious such discussion was taking place.  I seem to remember such topics for portable gaming and the sports forum.

Meh, the only thing that polls and discussion result in is bickering and disagreement.  slywink 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2012, 01:14:04 AM »

I remember the Gone Gold forum days. And when we all realized it was over it honestly felt like I was losing a friend(s). Although I still find the whole relationship on forums stuff a bit awkward, I blame that on my youthful  icon_lol 58 years of age.
I'm a very out going guy in "real" life, yet find it hard to form friendships on forums. But the closest I've come to feeling like one of the gang on line was with Gone Gold.

I am very thankful that this site was brought to my attention at that time, and not long after familiar "Gone Gold" feelings were returning.
The main core of people back then and now are a very cool bunch of characters. The talent, intelligence, and helpfulness of you guys is amazing at times.

Not sure why the nostalgia was aroused by this thread, but I sincerely believe this site will be around for a long time yet. Especially if the core leaders here remain.

This is my main gaming forum by a country mile over all others.

Cheers guys, and thank you for your maturity and openess all these years...God Bless.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:18:03 AM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2012, 01:14:19 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 08, 2012, 01:01:07 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2012, 11:45:46 PM

Meh, the only thing that polls and discussion result in is bickering and disagreement.  slywink 

do not! Tongue

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:51 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 08, 2012, 12:37:15 AM

The sub forum thing is sort of annoying and doesn't seem to serve any real purpose.

And that can be easily fixed.  I just pushed the trading forum back to the top.  I'm flexible with this sort of thing. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2012, 01:38:48 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 08, 2012, 01:14:04 AM

I remember the Gone Gold forum days. And when we all realized it was over it honestly felt like I was losing a friend(s). Although I still find the whole relationship on forums stuff a bit awkward, I blame that on my youthful  icon_lol 58 years of age.
I'm a very out going guy in "real" life, yet find it hard to form friendships on forums. But the closest I've come to feeling like one of the gang on line was with Gone Gold.

I am very thankful that this site was brought to my attention at that time, and not long after familiar "Gone Gold" feelings were returning.
The main core of people back then and now are a very cool bunch of characters. The talent, intelligence, and helpfulness of you guys is amazing at times.

Not sure why the nostalgia was aroused by this thread, but I sincerely believe this site will be around for a long time yet. Especially if the core leaders here remain.

This is my main gaming forum by a country mile over all others.

Cheers guys, and thank you for your maturity and openess all these years...God Bless.
  Thanks!  That means a lot.  I want this forum to be like home and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make that the case for as many of you as I can.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2012, 04:50:08 AM »

In general, I love the consolidated gaming forum, because it is what I am used to. If you want to see a good organization, IE categories and so forth then I would have to argue to look at how Something Awful does it. Basically there is a little banner/tag which is kind of being done now here but it is select-able at thread creation. Whether the game is PC/360/PS3/Whatever. I mean ultimately you should theoretically be able to filter based on that. Then that goes into the child forums which was done to this forum which is amazingly better. You would have something by genre and so forth. Like MMO games and all that. Something Awful usually creates a a new sub forum if a lot of threads are created for a new game. Like when D3 was coming out there was a D3 forum which over time would just be merged back into the main game forum.

At the end of the day I would say people don't like change but I feel this is a good step forward in fostering more discussion, and since so many games are now cross platform it doesn't really matter. Would the general information for a game like Batman Arkham City be any different between PC/PS3/360? As for not enough talk about your chosen platform, the only thing I can really say is that to just create threads if you feel there aren't any. Ultimately the forum will show what is more popular to everyone. That is the only downside but if SA is any indication PC only threads and games are just as popular as there console counterparts. I would say there is a larger pool of people over there.

I'm happy the main page is doing well, I loved the E3 coverage I didn't really go to any other site during that time and the articles and reviews I find are some of the best here. I also like how the PA Report is doing things now even though I generally disagree with Ben Kuchera or whoever it is that writes things. I know that type of reporting is a lot more difficult to write and definitely more difficult to be able to get the story. Since PA kind of started off with their name to able to get those interviews. But I hvae no doubts that GT can get to that point.

It's definately going in the right direction. 

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2012, 05:30:13 AM »

Come on guys... bring it in... *hugs*

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2012, 05:30:39 AM »

Eep! My Avatar! has it been messed up for awhile now?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2012, 05:38:07 AM »

Not that I've noticed.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2012, 05:43:34 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on July 08, 2012, 05:30:39 AM

Eep! My Avatar! has it been messed up for awhile now?

yeah, but like your bad hairpiece we didn't want to make things awkward by mentioning it.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 03, 2012, 03:18:09 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 03, 2012, 02:09:31 PM

Interestingly, traffic to the front of the site has increased.   icon_cool
Sounds like you need to point them towards the forum more then.

I said the same thing ages ago. Check out Touch Arcade if you haven't before. I like how they frequently provide links to forum threads from game articles.

The forum consolidation was a positive move. It doesn't do any good to have forums with no traffic. Better to have a smaller number of active ones.

As for my own gaming habits I have shifted hard away from console games over the last several years. Everything for me is PC right now (TSW, Tera, Diablo, LoL) plus goofing off on iOS. My most anticipated game is Borderlands 2, reserved on PC. I haven't touched a console game since Mass Effect 2, which I didn't even finish.

The real shocker for me is how bad the 3DS has been, since I was such a big DS gamer for so long. I have barely played it, with handheld time going to iPad (and iPhone before that).

Now, if Sony would make it so any PS3 game could be streamed to a Vita, I would get one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:06:22 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »

Now, if Sony would make it so any PS3 game could be streamed to a Vita, I would get one.

i dont have a vita (like you i found out last handheld generation that i just never played the things even during travel time) - but i thought sony had done this?  or is it only for games on the PSN?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 08, 2012, 05:50:51 PM

i dont have a vita (like you i found out last handheld generation that i just never played the things even during travel time) - but i thought sony had done this?  or is it only for games on the PSN?

I think certain games can, but it should have been implemented at a hardware level.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2012, 05:19:36 PM »

I thought this was a Vampirism thread, but oh well.

I think the number of posts declining is all my fault, I haven't been able to come here and post as much as I'd like to the last few months since starting the new job.  Hopefully it will equalize some and I'll be able to get more time here again smile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: