http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:14:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We need fresh blood- dont we?  (Read 4637 times)
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:41 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 05, 2012, 04:53:06 PM

The hell? Are you saying my thread has no positive effect? Well, we can hunker down under a rock and then the last one can turn out the lights, if you so please - I just think raising awareness is the right thing to do, instead of just keeping silent and trying to silence something to death.

And yes - kudos to you for the gaming site - its bloody brilliant. Its just not for me. If that makes you frustrated well..then I don't know what to tell you - Not everyone has to like everything. Like wonderpug, I simply dont have the patience to read that verbose reveiws anymore - I'm a lot more interested in what people say about it.

I am not saying the thread has no positive effect, in fact I think its a great thread. Its opened up a much needed dialog.  All I was saying was if it had only one positive effect, I hoped it helped open GT's other facets to those of us here.  More activity site wide would benefit the forums as well.   I agree, when things get stagnant, its better to shine a light on it than stay in the dark. 

y

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

All this talk convinced me to take a look at the "Front Page"...running chrome on Windows 7, it locked my PC up for a good 20 seconds, hard drive light was thrashing and everything was non responsive, couldn't move mouse or anything.

I know the site has awesome content, but I just don't read gaming news...ever, no matter the site.  My web browsing boils down to check these forums, perhaps check OO or Quarter to Three, check my email to see if I have anything other than spam or bills, read up on hockey and local news and that is it.  That said, even if I wanted to read the gaming news, not sure I would bother when the site locks my machine up like that simply by trying to load a webpage.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 06, 2012, 03:16:41 AM

Quote from: Razgon on July 05, 2012, 04:53:06 PM

The hell? Are you saying my thread has no positive effect? Well, we can hunker down under a rock and then the last one can turn out the lights, if you so please - I just think raising awareness is the right thing to do, instead of just keeping silent and trying to silence something to death.

And yes - kudos to you for the gaming site - its bloody brilliant. Its just not for me. If that makes you frustrated well..then I don't know what to tell you - Not everyone has to like everything. Like wonderpug, I simply dont have the patience to read that verbose reveiws anymore - I'm a lot more interested in what people say about it.

I am not saying the thread has no positive effect, in fact I think its a great thread. Its opened up a much needed dialog.  All I was saying was if it had only one positive effect, I hoped it helped open GT's other facets to those of us here.  More activity site wide would benefit the forums as well.   I agree, when things get stagnant, its better to shine a light on it than stay in the dark. 

y

Thanks - and sorry for the tone. I can see now that I come off as an ass - sorry about that :-)

A new one
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2012, 02:27:41 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 06, 2012, 02:07:38 PM

All this talk convinced me to take a look at the "Front Page"...running chrome on Windows 7, it locked my PC up for a good 20 seconds, hard drive light was thrashing and everything was non responsive, couldn't move mouse or anything.

Ok, this has my complete attention now. I'm going to get to the bottom of this. Wish I could replicate the issue but I'll do what I can. I may pop in here asking for help testing...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 06, 2012, 02:27:41 PM

Quote from: Arkon on July 06, 2012, 02:07:38 PM

Ok, this has my complete attention now. I'm going to get to the bottom of this. Wish I could replicate the issue but I'll do what I can. I may pop in here asking for help testing...

well, I just tried as well, since I had those freezes a while ago, but only half a page loaded and this showed :
   Fatal error: Call to undefined function sfc_like_button() in /home/gtroot/public_html/wp-content/themes/Magazine/loop-index.php on line 119

edit: tried refreshing it a few times, and then it worked :-)

A new one
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

Yeah, I'm peeling some stuff out slywink

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »

Ok, so peeled out the social media share button plugins and am now adding the buttons back in one by one manually. I've been looking at some of the simpler stuff we rely on plugins for and am trying to figure out how to implement them better, these were at the top of the list.

Facebook like button is back in- any noticable differences?

Mike Dunn
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »

Just tried loading the page, and it didn't have any issues this time, but then it doesn't always lock up on me like that, which obviously makes it difficult to diagnose.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 06, 2012, 03:19:03 PM

Just tried loading the page, and it didn't have any issues this time, but then it doesn't always lock up on me like that, which obviously makes it difficult to diagnose.

What browser are you guys using? I can help testing...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »

I am using the most recent version of Chrome (20.0.1132.47).

Installed add-ons are AdBlock Plus, Flash Block and Pop Up Blocker, however they Adblock Plus and Pop Up Blocker as disabled for gamingtrend.com.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »

It came up ok in IE9 and Chrome. Came up in IE Tester IE6 and 7 with a litany of script errors. IE8 started with the script errors and then completely locked up my VMWare Fusion session.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 05, 2012, 01:14:55 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on July 05, 2012, 12:10:27 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 03, 2012, 04:30:50 PM

Quote from: Kagath on July 03, 2012, 03:18:09 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 03, 2012, 02:09:31 PM

Interestingly, traffic to the front of the site has increased.   icon_cool
Sounds like you need to point them towards the forum more then.

Well, for years we tried pointing you guys to the front of the site to no avail...

That's because I come here to read the Forum and have zero interest in getting any news from GT.  I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

That's too bad. You see, this is a gaming news and reviews site with a forum, not the other way around. We love providing a place for everybody to hang out and talk, but our efforts are considerably more focused on the rest of the site. You should check it out sometime.

Well, you're wrong.  It's a forum to me and always will be.  I'm glad that your efforts are considerably more focused on the rest of the site and I hope that works out fine for you.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 06, 2012, 03:41:28 PM

It came up ok in IE9 and Chrome. Came up in IE Tester IE6 and 7 with a litany of script errors. IE8 started with the script errors and then completely locked up my VMWare Fusion session.

IE6 is no longer supported. IE7 is on the way out (maybe out already. only 1% of visitors using it). IE8 on the other hand is still supported (ah, microsoft!).

Curious as to what those errors are.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on July 06, 2012, 03:43:56 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 05, 2012, 01:14:55 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on July 05, 2012, 12:10:27 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 03, 2012, 04:30:50 PM

Quote from: Kagath on July 03, 2012, 03:18:09 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 03, 2012, 02:09:31 PM

Interestingly, traffic to the front of the site has increased.   icon_cool
Sounds like you need to point them towards the forum more then.

Well, for years we tried pointing you guys to the front of the site to no avail...

That's because I come here to read the Forum and have zero interest in getting any news from GT.  I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

That's too bad. You see, this is a gaming news and reviews site with a forum, not the other way around. We love providing a place for everybody to hang out and talk, but our efforts are considerably more focused on the rest of the site. You should check it out sometime.

Well, you're wrong.  It's a forum to me and always will be.  I'm glad that your efforts are considerably more focused on the rest of the site and I hope that works out fine for you.

What would make it a site you would be interested in getting news from?

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 06, 2012, 03:50:36 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 06, 2012, 03:41:28 PM

IE6 is no longer supported. IE7 is on the way out (maybe out already. only 1% of visitors using it). IE8 on the other hand is still supported (ah, microsoft!).

Curious as to what those errors are.

Chrome is reporting a bunch of non fatal errors in connection with the FB stuff. Irritating, but it's a chrome specific issue and is widely considered a bug. I don't have an instance of windows so I can't check on the IE8 stuff.

If the IE7 stuff is non fatal I'm not going to waste my time with it

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »

Google+ share button now manually added. Now for twitter

Mike Dunn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »

Just locked my browser up for ~10 seconds (latest Chrome).  We've been having this problem for a long time and I think there were actually a couple threads in the feedback forum up to a year ago.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 06, 2012, 04:55:59 PM

Just locked my browser up for ~10 seconds (latest Chrome).  We've been having this problem for a long time and I think there were actually a couple threads in the feedback forum up to a year ago.

Right. I've been trying to figure out what is causing it for nearly as long. I'm having a hard time replicating the issue at this point (all of my other tweaks appeared to help to me).

Here are the possibilities:

1. Some people have a problem with the version of Flash that Chrome comes preinstalled with. If you have an ad blocker of some sort enable it briefly and refresh the site. If the lockup doesn't occur then you are one of the "lucky" ones. It is a client-side fix (which sucks for me): just install the flash plugin from Adobe
2. There is a plugin conflict on the site. This is extremely hard to troubleshoot but I am eliminating some of the usual suspects. Seems odd that it would be a consistent issue for one user on one browser, but hey, that's the web. Try clearing your cache to see if the new fixes I just implemented have any effect.
3. Chrome for Mac has had some serious issues lately with freezes and blank pages served. Thought they had fixed it but it looks like some folks are still experiencing it.

If you have any other browsers installed check the site on those. If they don't have the same effect we can at least isolate this to a Chrome issue.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »

For what it's worth I'm experiencing a significant page-load performance boost after the most recent tweaks in Chrome, Safari and Firefox on Mac (all latest versions)

Mike Dunn
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »

On my side, Chrome for Mac and I'm not getting any lockup issues on the mainpage.  It loads sort of funny, but not in a way that I'd call slow.  I haven't really browsed the site though so I don't know if there's anything beyond that.

Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47 with no extensions other than 1Password.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2012, 08:59:14 PM »

To me, one of the main questions is about what part of the forums is more robust.  I come here to get reviews on console games, my other board is more PC focused.  Also, the off-topic region is more robust at my other stomping ground.  I've cross-posted stuff before, and get little to no traction here on the threads I'm interested enough to start here. 

For the game stuff, I tend not to stay on the cutting edge with my purchases, and it's been more PC-oriented lately due to the Steam discounting.  Even games that I purchased new don't seem to get the traction here.  Tiger Woods gets no traction, whereas the latest action RPG is eaten up with a spoon.

I would love for the forums to be populated with more folks like we have in terms of demeanor, but perhaps with some wider gaming interests.  But how to draw them in is the question.  Is there an advertising budget?  I know I've seen the reviews quote-mined for ads.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »

Oh, and use.typekit.com just kicked me into a long wait for the main page.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 06, 2012, 08:59:50 PM

Oh, and use.typekit.com just kicked me into a long wait for the main page.

Actually, that may be me- I borked something and had to fix it Tongue

Mike Dunn
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 05, 2012, 11:41:18 PM

It already IS only a single click to get from forums to front page.  Click the word GAMINGTREND in the upper left

You missed my point entirely. I was saying create forum threads and put links in them that are compelling for forum members to visit - hence click on. Not that you can click the upper left of the page and be taken to the front page like the vast majority of websites.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:31:33 PM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »

Kronovan,

are you suggesting that the posts on the front-side get a thread created in here? EG:

Title: GT [News/Review/Screenshots/Video, etc] Title of Article
First two paragraphs of article
Link to full article
Link to FB page

It would mean that we'd have more posts in here, and that there would a lot of "system generated" ones. I don't know if it's even feasible / easily implemented.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2012, 09:44:53 PM »

That's a terrible idea.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

I'm all for news posts tied to news posts, but I think it would need to be done manually.  If there's a news post about a game in development, and we've been talking about it for months, have the news post link to the existing conversation rather than a new, automated post.

What are you trying to do, put the spammers out of business by doing it yourself? Tongue

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 06, 2012, 09:41:51 PM

Kronovan,

are you suggesting that the posts on the front-side get a thread created in here? EG:

Link to full article
Link to FB page

It would mean that we'd have more posts in here, and that there would a lot of "system generated" ones. I don't know if it's even feasible / easily implemented.

No, I'm saying be more selective than that and only posts for front page content that appeals to the forum crowd - links to reviews would be good. I know KD has done that sometimes when he's just completed a review. As well, there used to be a link after articles on the front page that said "discuss it in the forums", but that seemed to have dissapeared a while back. I don't see how the little additional traffic would be such a big deal, considering this thread started with Razgon's comments that forum traffic seems to be slowing.

[Edit] And I'm with Isgrimnur that they should be manually created threads. Unless some very clever person can make an auto-generated one look just like that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:02:46 PM by kronovan » Logged
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2012, 10:24:34 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 06, 2012, 09:41:51 PM

Kronovan,

Link to full article
Link to FB page

That's what I was saying.  icon_wink

I think adding those would be a good idea because it was add places for discussion of the front page.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2012, 10:28:56 PM »

Could we install a pool here and maybe a fence for stray Octopi?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 06, 2012, 10:28:56 PM

Could we install a pool here and maybe a fence for stray Octopi?

Are you kidding?  With as much a supporter as I am of Dread Cthulhu I figured you 8-legged folk would feel right at home!  Slither on in!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »

now R&P feels like that nutty old lady who lives upstairs that most people don't want to deal with  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 06, 2012, 11:04:04 PM

now R&P feels like that nutty old lady who lives upstairs that most people don't want to deal with  icon_lol
I don't venture in there but I thought that's how it always felt? Tongue

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »

Watch what you say about the child of this forum.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:44 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 06, 2012, 11:24:29 PM

Watch what you say about the child of this forum.

heh, if you follow the child logic then shouldn't portable gaming should be a child of PC/Console gaming, and a grandchild of analog gaming?

'and lo, Analog and the oscilloscope begat PC gaming, who laid with coin op and sired consoles, who fornicated with the Mattel Football and spawned portable handhelds.' - Book of Higinbotham, 19:58

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2012, 12:52:47 AM »

Unfortunately for me, the blending of Console and PC just seems to indicate how insignificant PC gaming really is here.  I will check out the front page, but the games don't usually appeal to me at all.  I don't think I'm the target demographic.  It is making me check out OO again, though.  You can't please everyone.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2012, 12:55:56 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on July 07, 2012, 12:52:47 AM

Unfortunately for me, the blending of Console and PC just seems to indicate how insignificant PC gaming really is here.  I will check out the front page, but the games don't usually appeal to me at all.  I don't think I'm the target demographic.  It is making me check out OO again, though.  You can't please everyone.

trust me, I'm going to keep on finding PC games and posting about them.  unfortunately that means people only looking for PC stuff will have to sift through console games, or people looking for console games will have to sift through PC games.  I went through the first 3 pages and added '[PC]' to all the threads I started about PC only games if that helps.

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2012, 01:00:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2012, 12:55:56 AM

trust me, I'm going to keep on finding PC games and posting about them.  unfortunately that means people only looking for PC stuff will have to sift through console games, or people looking for console games will have to sift through PC games.  I went through the first 3 pages and added '[PC]' to all the threads I started about PC only games if that helps.

I do appreciate the effort.  My first visit back to OO reminded my of the forum drama that breeds over there.  Sigh.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2012, 01:02:16 AM »

PC is most certainly not insignificant on this site: http://gamingtrend.com/platforms/pc/

The merging of the two forums just indicates that we find the various consoles and PC as one large group of non portable platforms. Just as we don't have a 360 forum or a PS3 forum. Just as there are console specific games, there are a lot of cross-platform games, cross-platform including PC. We saw a lot of the same discussions in both forums about the same game. It felt like a logical move.

Our "target demographic" is gamers smile

Mike Dunn
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2012, 01:10:55 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 07, 2012, 01:02:16 AM

PC is most certainly not insignificant on this site: http://gamingtrend.com/platforms/pc/

The merging of the two forums just indicates that we find the various consoles and PC as one large group of non portable platforms. Just as we don't have a 360 forum or a PS3 forum. Just as there are console specific games, there are a lot of cross-platform games, cross-platform including PC. We saw a lot of the same discussions in both forums about the same game. It felt like a logical move.

Our "target demographic" is gamers smile

I'm certainly one of those folks who is a forumite before a frontpageite(?) so I'll need to check it out.  Your link did give me more to check out than I expected to find there. 

I'm not into console gaming much - I have horrible dexterity, etc.  Trying to figure out what button to push literally gives me a headache.  ABXYTrigger1Trigger2, etc.  Probably not harder than the PC, but I'm used to pcs.  I'm obviously not an action gamer so I realize that I am a dinosaur in the gaming world.  I'm not sure if this is chocolate in my peanut butter or peanut butter in my chocolate, but to me it is liver in my beef stroganoff.  Stay away!  Of course, I don't like changes so who knows how I will feel in a few months?  It just seems like I will have to plod through stuff I have no interest in. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: