http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:47:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We need fresh blood- dont we?  (Read 4731 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »

So, looking at the statistics I can see we have a LOT less new posts, new members, new everything this year than the previous one, and the one before that. It does seem like a trend, unfortunately, and I was curious as to whether there were any plans to combat this?
I can already see several subforums arent getting much attention, and its shame, because I like the community and the people here, but right now it does seem in decline.

Anyways - I don't have any ideas, just wanted to kickstart the discussion about it,and see if anything was being done about the issue.

edit: Now that I think about it - is it perhaps because new users on the internet aren't forum posters, but more of social network service users these adys?

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »

yes we do need fresh blood,and because you brought it up...i say it should be yours,CK is currently out shopping for our Robes  icon_twisted icon_twisted  icon_twisted

There was a thread where everyone was mentioning how many people had left,some through arguments and unfortunately one i can think of sadly passed away,but i am not sure why a lot of the other people left(they can't all be because of arguments can it?)

Maybe its all your lovetalk about Nic Cage that has drove them away icon_wink Tongue

Quote from: Razgon on July 03, 2012, 09:11:32 AM

So, looking at the statistics I can see we have a LOT less new posts, new members, new everything this year than the previous one, and the one before that. It does seem like a trend

a 'Gaming Trend'?

Ho Ho

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »

This has been the way of things since Gone Gold. The community is small but tightly knit and (mostly) mature. Occasionally new people will appear while others leave, but there's no large influx of new members and there has never really been. I think most of us like it this way, as too many new members will turn this forum into another generic gaming forum where you can hardly turn a corner without wandering into a profanity-laden troll. We've survived this way for well over 10 years, and I don't see the community going away.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »

Well, actually - its not how it has always been. Take a look at the statistics and you will see each month we have about 1/4th less posts
and threads than the previous year - thats quite a lot and since it, based on the two years of data I can see, is a trend, its not a good sign.

A new one
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »

I think you may be right about social networks.  Maybe people just don't post on forums in general as much today.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »

I know that I post far less than I used to, partly because I don't own consoles anymore, which is a large percentage of the discussion here.

I don't use any sort of social networking stuff (facebook, twitter, etc) so that has no bearing for me.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »

I think the forum needs help.

This is my favorite message board on the citadel, but I'm finding myself posting less and less because the discussions I'm hoping to partake in aren't happening, or have happened and already died off.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 03, 2012, 11:39:09 AM

This is my favorite message board on the citadel, but I'm finding myself posting less and less because the discussions I'm hoping to partake in aren't happening, or have happened and already died off.

If there are discussions you wish to take part f but not here, why don't you initiate them?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »

I didnt need stats to notice this trend.  Ive also noticed that posting on the off topic forum has become quite mundane and very focused around entertainment.  Looking at it today shows that a large percentage of posts revolve around movies.  The fact that its summer around here also likely contributes to the dearth of posts.  I dont think its time to break out an obit, but GT is definitely in a lull.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »

Bah. CeeKay is on holidays.

ATB is a thread-starter, and he had taken a break. Perhaps it's his fault? smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 03, 2012, 12:03:44 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 03, 2012, 11:39:09 AM

If there are discussions you wish to take part f but not here, why don't you initiate them?

I do.  But I can't exactly force people to talk about things they're not interested in talking about (Hero Academy, FTL, Transformers comics), so I talk about those on other forums where there are active discussions.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 03, 2012, 11:29:41 AM

I know that I post far less than I used to, partly because I don't own consoles anymore, which is a large percentage of the discussion here.

My posting has gone down quite a bit, for a couple reasons:

1.  My time spent gaming (PC or consoles) is maybe 1/3 of what it was 3 years ago, and that's being generous.  With my new responsibilities at work, constant travel, my kid, etc I simply don't have time to keep up on the gaming world like I used to.

2.  I don't know if it's a shift in the industry or a shift in me, but gaming isn't nearly as interesting to me as it used to be.  I used to look at lists of new releases and see lots of games that I absolutely had to play.  These days I'm lucky if there's one or two games that I even have a passing interest in.  Not being interested in MMO's, online multiplayer, 'social' games, FPS games, or anything with zombies or military themes basically eliminates 90% of what's on the market right now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:35:18 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 03, 2012, 01:12:50 PM

Quote from: Arkon on July 03, 2012, 11:29:41 AM

My posting has gone down quite a bit, for a couple reasons:

1.  My time spent gaming (PC or consoles) is maybe 1/3 of what it was 3 years ago, and that's being generous.  With my new responsibilities at work, constant travel, my kid, etc I simply don't have time to keep up on the gaming world like I used to.

2.  I don't know if it's a shift in the industry or a shift in me, but gaming isn't nearly as interesting to me as it used to be.  I used to look at lists of new releases and see lots of games that I absolutely had to play.  These days I'm lucky if there's one or two games that I even have a passing interest in.  Not being interested in MMO's, online multiplayer, 'social' games, FPS games, or anything with zombies or military themes basically eliminates 90% of what's on the market right now.

Pretty much how I feel, word for word.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

I think my gaming time may pick back up once Guild Wars 2 hits, otherwise I have been playing some Dwarf Fortress and that is about it.  Travel has picked up for me as well, limiting my time.  I still come to the forums a lot, but usually what happens is I scan the first page of topics, find nothing that interests me in reading and move on.  That said it isn't just Gaming Trend.  I almost never visit OO anymore, and even Quarter to Three while I look at it daily, I may only read 3 or 4 threads a day at most.

I am hoping that some of the Kickstarter projects I have backed will turn out and get me back into caring about gaming again, as it is pretty much my only hobby.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »

Interestingly, traffic to the front of the site has increased.   icon_cool

This week we are testing out some new forum software that has a greater integration with the rest of the site. With luck we'll have it ready by the fall for the swap-out. If it works out we'll be giving you guys a lot more features to play with smile

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »

OUT!

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »

Quote from: Devil on July 03, 2012, 02:55:45 PM

IN!

Quote from: Devil on July 03, 2012, 02:56:17 PM

OUT!

I hope you're wearing protection.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 03, 2012, 02:09:31 PM

Sounds like you need to point them towards the forum more then.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »

Let's face it--We're dinosaurs. The vast majority of sites have integrated feedback via comments right below their articles (Kotaku, Huffington Post, 1up, etc). Most people won't participate in internet communities unless there's an immediate way to do so (login via Facebook, Twitter). The whole process of sending someone to some backwater message board is just.. well, it's just so last decade. Look at the posters in this thread: These are your friends for years to come. It ain't gonna get better.  icon_razz
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »

The forum does seem especially dead lately.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 03, 2012, 03:17:27 PM

Quote from: Devil on July 03, 2012, 02:55:45 PM

IN!

Quote from: Devil on July 03, 2012, 02:56:17 PM

OUT!

I hope you're wearing protection.

Poncho is not a fan of that

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 03, 2012, 03:47:26 PM

Let's face it--We're dinosaurs. The vast majority of sites have integrated feedback via comments right below their articles (Kotaku, Huffington Post, 1up, etc). Most people won't participate in internet communities unless there's an immediate way to do so (login via Facebook, Twitter). The whole process of sending someone to some backwater message board is just.. well, it's just so last decade. Look at the posters in this thread: These are your friends for years to come. It ain't gonna get better.  icon_razz

This is probably accurate.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

Just in the short time I have been here I have seen the site slow down to a trickle. Sadly I think that is just the way things work.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 03, 2012, 03:18:09 PM

Well, for years we tried pointing you guys to the front of the site to no avail... Heck, Scuzz up there thinks our site is only a forum by his assessment of our traffic  slywink

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 03, 2012, 03:55:07 PM

This is probably accurate.

It is. That's why the upgrades we are looking at address our community features as a whole, not just a forum.

Stuff like single log-in for forums and comments. Integration of forums and comments. (Hopefully) the ability to push forum posts to the front of the site and vice versa. Just some of the things we're looking at...

Mike Dunn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

CeeKayBot will love that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »

I agree with PR_GMR I visit three forums on a consistent basis, GT, OO and Wanderers.  I have no use for any other except for information.  I might be in the minority , but I like our tight knit community.

Do I wish traffic pick up sure, but as long as we are here I'm good

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

Look at the posters in this thread: These are your friends for years to come. It ain't gonna get better.  icon_razz

well once we get you deported to Turkmenistan it won't be a bad bunch  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 06:21:48 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 03, 2012, 04:30:50 PM

Quote from: Kagath on July 03, 2012, 03:18:09 PM

Well, for years we tried pointing you guys to the front of the site to no avail... Heck, Scuzz up there thinks our site is only a forum by his assessment of our traffic  slywink

I am not sure of your point. I know there are areas I haven't been to simply because they don't interest me so maybe they are very busy. Tell me oh wise one, what am I not aware of?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »

Bring Sunday Skin back!

And Crawley!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »

This is a post to prove that I will be everyone's forever friend.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »

I think the move to social media is part of the story. So is the migration to smart phones, which just aren't as friendly to long blocks of text. Those "sent from my smartphone" one-liners seldom advance a discussion very much.

That said, I'm content to be a minor part of a small clique, although I wish it was adding members at the same rate that it loses them. I further wish that those new members included more nymphomaniacs of the nubile young female variety. We have enough middle-aged male science fiction nerds already.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »

I've been a reader since the days of Gone Gold, but I rarely post as I honestly have little to say. One of the things I have always liked about this forum is that we are all a bit older and more mature.

The shift that gaming seems to be headed towards all blockbuster franchises sort of makes me lose interest as well. Most of the games I've been playing are older ones, as very little recently has interested me. Just these last two days I've fired up RDR and Red Faction:Guerrilla, and I'm thinking about another playthrough of Psychonauts. Meanwhile I have Mass Effect 3 sitting there from gamefly, I'm maybe about 2/3rds in and I really can't be bothered to finish it.

Now boardgames lately have really been catching my fancy, I just wish I had a group that was interest in them.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on July 03, 2012, 07:54:16 PM

One of the things I have always liked about this forum is that we are all a bit older and more mature.

+1.  I'd much rather have a smaller community of close knit, mature posters than a glut of "OMG PS3 ROOLZ, 360 DROOLZ" trolls.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 03, 2012, 08:03:41 PM

One of the things I have always liked about this forum is that we are all a bit older and more mature.

+1.  I'd much rather have a smaller community of close knit, mature posters than a glut of "OMG PS3 ROOLZ, 360 DROOLZ" trolls.

haha, well - I think there *are* a few people out there capable of writing complete sentences that aren't already on this board ;-)

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on July 03, 2012, 06:40:30 PM

Bring Sunday Skin back!

And Crawley!

CR, you're being paged...

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:21 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 03, 2012, 08:07:55 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 03, 2012, 08:03:41 PM

haha, well - I think there *are* a few people out there capable of writing complete sentences that aren't already on this board ;-)

True, but how many of them frequent gaming-related sites?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »

YUU MACK GOOD PONIT.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 03, 2012, 07:26:22 PM

I think the move to social media is part of the story. So is the migration to smart phones, which just aren't as friendly to long blocks of text. Those "sent from my smartphone" one-liners seldom advance a discussion very much.

this.

Sent from underneath Hepcat's toupée

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: