http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We need a music thread  (Read 1982 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2006, 10:06:20 PM »

I recently bought a bunch of music and thought I'd list them and my thoughts on them.  Feel free to do the same with what you recently bought or have been listening to.  I'm always interested in what other people like.

Arcade Fire - Funeral - The singer's voice has taken some getting used to but I really like the energy and emotion in their songs.  They are really growing on me.

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory - I used to hate rap.  I had no good reason why other than being white and in my 30's.  I had this album recommended to me by several different people and I'm glad I did.  I can see why it's considered a classic.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries - these guys have also taken some getting used to.  I love metal but had a problem with the vocals.  The more I listen to them the less the vocals stick out and the more impressed I am with their songs.  These guys are incredible musicians and some of the songs are 10 minutes long and over way too soon.  I also picked up their album Damnation which is basically an unplugged version and it's also fantastic.  Their singer actually has an amazing singing voice when he's not growling and the songs are still complex and fascinating.

There's several more to come and I'll post back later.

What have you been listening to and why do you like it?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:37:44 PM »

Well, here are some selections that I've been listening to as of late:

In Strict Confidence - Holy.  This CD is about two years or so old now, but it's still absolutely one of my favorites.  Their music is a sort of EBM/dark/industrial kind of sound.  But they really have some outstanding songs that have just great chordal structures and good beats.  You can listen to some samples at their myspace account here.

VNV Nation - Matter and Form.  Although many fans see their latest release as somewhat dissappointing (but I mean come on - anything is dissappointing after the album Empires from them), VNV really have some great songs on this album.  I went and saw them live last summer and listening to this makes me remember how awesome of a show it was.  This kind of music lies in the EBM/futurepop/electronic genre.

Amelie - Movie Soundtrack.  The soundtrack from my favorite movie.  It's a gorgeous set of french/classical music that I usually listen to every night before going to sleep.  Really, to me, just about the perfect collection of songs on any CD ever.  Really quality music.

Apoptygma Berzerk - In This Together.  Although Apop was once a strictly electronica sort of band, they went out on a limb and released a more rock'ish sort of CD.  And I've really been enjoying it!  They combine the catchiness from their previous releases and incorporate more guitar work.  Long-time fans hate this new "direction", but I welcome it.  Oh, and psst!!  One of my favorite songs from their new CD is available on my website for a "trial" download!  Give it a try!

I have a weird musical taste   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 11:04:11 PM »

Interesting stuff Dep.  Most of that is new to me so I'll have to check them out.

Here's some more of mine:
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois - this is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums from last year.  Most of it is acoustic but he has great arrangements and songs that get ahold of me and don't let go.  John Wayne Gacy, Jr. stunned me the first time I heard it.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction - I'd never really heard these guys and I like this album a lot.  It really didn't click for me until the second listen-through for some reason.  They have an interesting way of using moments of silence in their songs.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe - okay so it's from 1994 - whatever.  I didn't have it and hadn't heard it for some reason.  I love (What's the Story) Morning Glory? and felt I needed this to complete my collection of (good) Oasis CD's.  It's lean and it's good rock n roll.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:18:49 PM »

Definitely Maybe is the best Oasis album by far.  Classic, classic stuff on there.  I actually like each and every song on that album and that's rare.

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

I love Jenny Lewis when she's singing for Rilo Kiley and her new sideproject is nearly as great.

How adorable is she in this video?

http://videos.myspace.com/videoplayer/player.cfm?vid=2479&Mytoken=1D0E26C8-F5E5-49AA-BE258FF42FFFD8B61222569609

Okkervil River

Very good stuff.

TheMissingLink on PSN
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:51:12 PM »

According to Winamp, the full cd's I've been listening to:

Arcade Fire - Funeral  
I like everything about that cd.  Nice range of music on it.

Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
I like this even better than the Arcade Fire cd now.  Probably because it has more of a female presence in the vocals.

Lush - Gala
Yeah, I've listened to this one off and on for a long time now.  It's some of my favorite background music.

Sigur Ros - Takk
This is becoming a new background music favorite, maybe a bit too melancholy for long term listening.  However, there's something hopeful about it that balances that melancholy to a certain extent for me.

The Kills - No Wow
I like this stuff mainly because it's seething but restrained.  It makes me think of the Stars cd if Stars was more aggressive.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 12:27:29 AM »

I'm going to see Stars live Feb. 9th biggrin

They are probably swinging by you sometime, you should check their tour dates.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:01:27 AM »

If you liked Low End Theory you will Love Midnight Marauders
Which is probably one of my most favorite CD's of all time, any style.

I recently was checking out pandora and heard this band and love thier cd:
Embrace - out of nothing  Very garage band, yet very polished and damn good.  I dunno, I mean it's hard to describe... Maybe Oasis and old school coldplay?

My mom turned me onto -
Death cab for cutie  - Very laid back and relaxed, no enya but still very entertaining.

My one guilty pleasure is -
Kelly Clarkson

Which may win best CD for 2005 for me.  Sadly, I still can't admit this to most friends, lol.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »

Well, I'm mostly into Hip-Hop and R&B.

Reasonable Doubt  Jay-Z best CD ever.

The Breakthrough Its a good CD if you like Mary J. Blige.  If you looking for her better work see What's the 411 & My Life, but this is vintage Mary.

Ludacris & Field Mob "Georgia" MP3 Is on heavy rotation on my PSP and I have it as my ringer for my cell.  I don't like alot of newer Hip Hop stuff, but this song is a banger

The Trinity by Sean Paul   This isn't traditional Dance Hall, but like Dutty Rock I like this Cd.  Also,  I LOVE seeing the women dance to Temperature

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »

What have I been listening to?

Well...

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 06:15:11 PM »

Recently I bought Decade Of Aggression By Slayer.

I also convinced my friend to buy 8 CD's biggrin

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 06:31:49 PM »

I have a love/hate relationship with these music threads. On the one hand, I love to see what others are listening to and to have my ears opened to new stuff. On the other hand, I feel so unhip as so much of what people on these boards are listening to does not appeal to me at all!

For example: Sufjan Stevens. I've seen his name everywhere. I figured, "why not give it a listen?" So I did. I don't get it.

Same with something like the Decemberists. All the music-fashionistas seem to dig 'em. I tried 'em out. I don't get it.

And Death Cab? Never got them at all, but, I will say, that when I saw them on SNL, I really enjoyed them. "Crooked Teeth" is a fantastic song. Does that make me a bandwagon jumper?

Anyway, I've been told to stop being a bitch and just listen to the music. I guess my tastes are a bit more mainstream than what some of you peeps listen to.

Back on topic:

I'm currently listening to my girls on my mp3 player (when not being obsessed with everything SEAHAWKS). My girls are Juliana Hatfield and Aimee Mann.

I'm also listening to the Rush R30 live CDs. Great stuff.

Since my Azereus stopped working, I haven't listened to much new music (other than radio: horrors!).

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 06:36:32 PM »

These music threads make me feel old.  Two years ago it was tough to stump me with any band that wasn't obscure.  Now I end up saying 'who is that' to many of those mentioned here...

Last 3 CDs I bought.

Bruce Springsteen -- Born to Run (finally completing my Springsteen collection and getting two songs I didn't have somewhere else)

The Ultimate Kinks

Green Day -- American Idiot

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 06:53:17 PM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
For example: Sufjan Stevens. I've seen his name everywhere. I figured, "why not give it a listen?" So I did. I don't get it.

For some reason he clicked with me immediately.  I can see why it might not appeal to everybody.

My girls are Juliana Hatfield and Aimee Mann.

I can listen to the Magnolia Soundtrack over and over and over.  Is her other stuff as good?

Rush?  Oh yeah.  I need to get R30.  It looks fantastic.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »

Another positive vote on Illinois by SS>  Normally I don't like 'art-house projects', but this one clicked with me instantly. Biggest thing for me is that it's not a bunch of songs on a disc, it's one of those discs that you listen to the entirety of.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 07:15:32 PM »

That guy's making a cd for every state, right?  I think I remember hearing that because he had another cd...Idaho, maybe?  Weird concept, but if it's good music, I may check it out.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 08:10:38 PM »

I'll second Aimee Man and the Magnolia soundtrack.  Love her releases.  Love her song "Red Vines."  Great tune.

I listen to music that's really, well, unpopular in the U.S., so don't worry if you haven't heard to bands I like.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »

I'm a huge fan of Charlotte Martin:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

For some reason he clicked with me immediately.  I can see why it might not appeal to everybody.

My girls are Juliana Hatfield and Aimee Mann.

I can listen to the Magnolia Soundtrack over and over and over.  Is her other stuff as good?

Rush?  Oh yeah.  I need to get R30.  It looks fantastic.

Aimee Mann is superb. Her latest, The Forgotten Arm, is awesome. Lost in Space is great as well. Her earlier stuff, Whatever and I'm With Stupid, both have their moments, but the Bachelor No. 2/Magnolia ST are where she really came into her own.

And R30 is GREAT. Even though I'd seen the RCMH boot of the same tour, seeing R30 on Christmas day almost brought me to tears, I was so pumped. :oops:

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 08:27:54 PM »

I have a love/hate relationship with these music threads. On the one hand, I love to see what others are listening to and to have my ears opened to new stuff. On the other hand, I feel so unhip as so much of what people on these boards are listening to does not appeal to me at all!

I know what you mean, every time I used to see a thread like this somewhere I'd think "Okay, here come the elitists again, pushing bands that are 'good' because no one recognizes them".

But you know what?  If you give alot of this stuff a listen(more than the 30 seconds on Amazon), you will almost always find something that you'll like.  Some stuff, like Stars, is just pop music.  Well done to be sure, but nothing 'hip', just pop music.   If you listen it with that perspective(assuming you like pop music to start with), I think you see the appeal.

Other stuff, like the Decemberists, is an acquired taste.   I had to listen to their music in small doses for a LONG time before I started to 'get' where they were coming from(at least in my view).  Now I can listen to their stuff and get a kick out of it.

And of course, LOTS of stuff I see listed I have no taste for, and never will.  That's all part of the fun to me now.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 09:30:27 PM »

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra - the entire discography, plus the free concerts downloadable from eTree.org:  i never used to be into 'afrofunk', but this NYC band has changed that for me.
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 10:49:14 PM »

Bought these last week:

Devil Doll - Queen of Pain

Deep Purple - The Very Best of Deep Purple

I'm not really much of a Deep Purple fan, but sometimes I get in the mood for Space Truckin'.  

Queen of Pain is like a Louisville Slugger with pictures of Elvis, Gene Vincent and Johnny Otis taped to it, wrapped in sensuous black velvet with the words "Fuck You" embroidered on it, wielded by a talented young lady with angel wings tattoed on her back. It swings!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 11:50:16 PM »

Lately I've been doing more sporadic iTunes downloads rather than buying whole albums.  There's not too much new stuff that interests me anymore.
The last thing I bought was Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better.  I liked their debut album a little better, but the new one is still a good listen.  

Some favorite CDs that always find their way into my player are Talking Heads - Sand in the Vaseline and Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad and Dead Man's Party.  Great 80s stuff.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 12:38:12 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"

Other stuff, like the Decemberists, is an acquired taste.   I had to listen to their music in small doses for a LONG time before I started to 'get' where they were coming from(at least in my view).  Now I can listen to their stuff and get a kick out of it.

I dont understand an aquired taste with music.  I either like something or  I dont.  Listening to something over and over until you "like it" seems more like you are just conditioning yourself to put up with it.  I dont want to have to "get" music in order to like it more.  If it sounds good to me, then I will like it.  Where they are coming from isnt going to change my opinion on sound.  Then again, I know of about 5 of the bands that have been listed in this thread so maybe I am just not with todays music standards.  Who knows.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 12:53:34 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

I dont understand an aquired taste with music.  I either like something or  I dont.  Listening to something over and over until you "like it" seems more like you are just conditioning yourself to put up with it.  I dont want to have to "get" music in order to like it more.  If it sounds good to me, then I will like it.  Where they are coming from isnt going to change my opinion on sound.  Then again, I know of about 5 of the bands that have been listed in this thread so maybe I am just not with todays music standards.  Who knows.

I had that happen with Radiohead.  The only song I'd heard by them was "Creep" back in the early 90's.  A friend gave me OK Computer and the first time I listened to it I thought "Hunh?"  But the more I listened to it, the more I began to understand what they were doing with the songs and the melodies began to work their way into my head.  Now it's one of my favorite albums.

I'm that way with most things.  Rarely does a book grab me in the first couple of pages.  Same with movies and TV shows.  For me sometimes music takes a couple of listens.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 12:53:47 AM »

The stuff I like has a strong European bent, but over the last couple of years I've liked some American music too.

The last CD I got was New Order - Singles.  I'm a huge New Order fan and got Singles, mostly for the single versions of some of the songs that weren't available on CD anywhere else.

The last new CD was Ladytron - Witching Hour.  I'm new to Ladytron, but I like this alot.  I'm a big fan of electronic music and this is good stuff.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 01:06:30 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words on my part.  When I say 'get where they are coming from' I'm most talking about what the intent of the music is, at least from my perspective. In other words, WHY am I listening to this?

For instance, you won't listen to Led Zep for the same reasons you might listen to Roxy Music- yet you could still enjoy listening to both at various times.

As to 'acquired taste', well lots of things in my life have fallen in the category of acquired taste.  Age has something to do with it, when I was a kid I listened to completely different kinds of music than I do now.  In fact Led Zep was something I remember my older brothers listening to, and all the while I could not for the life of my understand why they listened to what sounded like pure noise.  Then one day I just 'got' it.

Beer was something I hated when peer pressure granted me my first drinks.  Now I love the taste of a good beer.

I can't imagine going through life believing that if I don't like something at first(music or otherwise), I will NEVER like it.  But to each their own.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 01:12:31 AM »

I got a new computer fairly recently and I've been steadily importing my CD collection (1000ish CDs) into Itunes.  I usually listen to the whole library on party shuffle while I'm surfing.  I really enjoy the wide variety.

This is my upcoming songs list (to give a small taste of stuff I have)
The Chills -  I'll Only See You Alone Again
Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive!
Kitchens Of Distinction -  3 To Beam Up
Moev - Kim Says
The Art Of Noise - Close (to the edit)
Catherine Wheel - High Heels
The Chameleons - Tears (full arrangement)
The Psychedelic Furs - Heartbreak Beat (extended)
David Bowie - Golden Years
O.M.D. - Stay
Felt - Mexican Bandits
Love & Rockets - Judgement Day
Keane - Bend And Break
Happy Mondays - Loose Fit
Catherine Wheel - Gasoline
Depeche Mode - Nothing
The Thompson Twins - King For A Day
Tones On Tail - Movement Of Fear
The Smiths - That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
The Cure - Why Can't I Be You
The Chameleons - Free For All
The Cranberries - Ode To My Family
Smashing Pumpkins - Waiting
Happy Mondays - Grandbag's Funeral
Skinny Puppy - Choralone
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 09:18:08 AM »

The more I read these threads and look at/listen to the music people list in them, the more I kind of feel like lildrgn talked about feeling up there.

Only without the acquired taste stuff.

Up to this point in my life I've still not had anything I hated work it's way into my head until I liked it. If I don't like something, I just flat don't like it.

For instance: I can't stand the Decemberists. I've heard the "Acquired Taste" thing before in a number of other occasions, and I tried to listen to them, borrowing a couple of cd's from a buddy of mine.

It did not work.

I can't stand Radiohead either. I listened to Ok Computer over and over again trying to understand what people heard in that music that they liked so much, but I never did quite "get it".

I later traded the CD in.

Every once in a while I go back and see if my taste has changed and maybe I'll understand why people like a certain album so so much, but it never works :|

I've pretty much learned over time to stick to things I like when I hear them the first two or three times. If they dont' make it into my "good" list in that amount of time, they're not going to.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 12:54:24 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I've pretty much learned over time to stick to things I like when I hear them the first two or three times. If they dont' make it into my "good" list in that amount of time, they're not going to.

Truthfully I completely agree with you.  If I hate something the first time around I won't give it another shot.  If I'm neutral then I'll give it another listen or two.  Some of those neutral albums get better for me (Radiohead) and some get worse (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah completely suck but I just didn't realize it at first).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 03:03:53 AM »

I recently got interested in Gogol Bordello after hearing their song Start Wearing Purple at the end of 'Everything is Illuminated'.  their music seems fun, and it will be a good addition to my music library.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 04:42:09 AM »

I hate reading my replies from 5 years ago.

Anyway, nice necro.

I am HUGE into FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE and I will be SEEING THEM LIVE this FRIDAY at the CROCODILE in SEATTLE.

Good bye!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: