http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:59:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We don't know Jack (Thompson)  (Read 1293 times)
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:29:12 PM »

Story here.

You know you've gone too far when even your friends start telling folks you're a loon.

Coincidentally, a couple days ago began some fun Thompson developments on the Penny Arcade front.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

Ctrl-Alt-Del covered this as well...

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:37:10 PM »

Wow, what's up with that guy?. He sounds like he needs to get out of his Neo-Matrix world and back into reality.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 10:31:15 PM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"

Not the most compelling argument... if anything, he's proving Jackson's point to a degree.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 10:44:36 PM »

Jack Thomson is a festering zit on the ass of society.

There, I said it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 01:13:42 AM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"

Yeah, but Penny Arcade's comic actually happened.  biggrin  I was cracking up reading the write-up about it.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 02:05:51 AM »

I found both strips muy funny!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 03:00:47 AM »

I liked them both until I read "man up" in the C-A-D strip.  What a stupid saying.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 03:32:59 AM »

"man up" is the frequently repeated mantra when handing your buddies the seventh or eighth shot, and all the ones that follow...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 03:45:12 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
"man up" is the frequently repeated mantra when handing your buddies the seventh or eighth shot, and all the ones that follow...

I've certainly heard it before, I just never liked it.  I guess it's just one of those things that bothers you for no reason.  I'm just thankful he didn't say "cowboy up."

Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 11:02:41 AM »

I don't even know what cowboy up is supposed to mean. Am I supposed to ride something? Cowboy anything just doesn't make any sense, it's like me telling someone to pickle catch. Neither person knows what you are talking about and feel vaguely dirty afterwords.

Oh Jack Thompson. How can you even speak with your foot so far in your mouth. Why not just say I'm an attention whore and get this over with.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 11:41:26 AM »

It's just a new way of saying 'man up' or 'pony up'.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 04:00:19 PM »

I wonder what the prerequisits are for saying "cowboy" rather that "man". Do I have to be smoking a cigarette and wearing chaps? Or does it go much deeper.
Perhaps my daughter could visit me, from college, and bring her wacky dorm resident to get her out of some marriage proposal. Of course I wouldn't like the fellow one bit but would allow him to do some chores so I, and my rather large ranch-hand, could have a good laugh. Maybe after being unable to corral some pigs I could tell him to "cowboy up". And he would, and I could possibly respect him for that.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 07:00:33 PM »

After reading his response to the letter from the other day I am more and more convinced that this is a deeply disturbed man. I hope he does something stupid enough to warrant discipline or disbarment. He should not be anywhere near the court system.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 10:40:19 PM »

You mean like these:
As the "Man in Miami" for NewsMax.com, he made a series of bizarre allegations [1] regarding Reno, met with incredulity in the press [2] [3], claiming that she was a closet lesbian suffering from various mental disorders as side effects of Parkinson's medication, and that she was being blackmailed by the Mafia.

The Florida Supreme Court ordered that he undergo psychiatric testing during this campaign, which he successfully passed.

More recently, he has attempted to persuade the lawyers defending Dustin Lynch, charged with the murder of JoLynn Mishne, that video games were responsible for the defendant's actions. The lawyers have declined to do so, and Thompson has subsequently offered to defend Lynch for free, presumably in the hope that he may use and thus create credibility behind the "video games defense"

As well as propagating the "video games made me do it" defense, Thompson has also attempted to predict which violent crimes will be caused by specific video games; in the Washington Sniper case, he was the first individual to suggest to the press that video games may have been the source of the sniper's skills, a conjecture vindicated by the discovery of a ubiquitous PlayStation in the van used as a "mobile hideout" by the two men responsible. Dateline NBC reported that Malvo "trained" extensively on the Xbox game Halo. Because of this report, Thompson believes that "Microsoft should be sued and held liable for money damages by the victims of the Beltway Snipers." [6] It is important to note, however, that John Allen Muhammad was a former soldier with significant rifle training, as predicted by the police, and that Lee Boyd Malvo's shooting skills could have easily been the result of instruction by Muhammad.

# He has been commonly accused of, and many times proven to, use half-truths and misinformation to persuade others to accept his views.

# He frequently utilizes ad hominem attacks and slanderous "low blows" against those who disagree with him, as well as simply insulting his detractors, be they politely-worded or otherwise, with a variety of invectives.

# He frequently will either imply or blatantly insult those that express dissenting opinions as being mentally ill, mentally deficient, brain damaged, or on drugs.

# Accusations by him that those he disagrees with suffer from Tourette's syndrome, made without any substantiating proof or even the suggested condition's relevancy to the subject being discussed, are especially common.

# He has ignored individuals who point out factual errors or misstatements made by him and who supply substantiating proof or references, or has responded with the above described behaviors while intentionally failing to acknowledge or respond to the individual's mention of his (Thompson's) errors.

# He has provoked several people who have e-mailed him by telling them that they should enter treatment facilities. When they respond to his comments, he invokes the protection of the Florida Cyberstalker Law and threatened legal action against them. He will not hesitate to threaten legal action against people replying to negative and often hateful emails which he himself sent in the first place.

# He often invokes broad negative stereotypes against gamers in general. For example, in an e-mail correspondence with Scott Ramsoomair, he questions: "HOnestly [sic], are all of you gamers on drugs, or what?"[24]. In a correspondence with Ryan Acheson (Gaming writer for The Horror Channel’s Dread Central), where Ryan Acheson is supporting Thompson's intentions to make games rate M inaccesible to children, he identifies "gamers' ideas" as "the latest oxymoron"

It's really a wonder anyone can take this man seriously anymore. But just like Uwe Boll he somehow manages to find to find work.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"
As the "Man in Miami" for NewsMax.com, he made a series of bizarre allegations [1] regarding Reno, met with incredulity in the press [2] [3], claiming that she was a closet lesbian suffering from various mental disorders as side effects of Parkinson's medication, and that she was being blackmailed by the Mafia.

That was him?  I remember enjoying that particular story when it was making the rounds.  I didn't think he was that creative since his other arguments and insults show such a lack of imagination.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 08:16:19 PM »

Gee Jacko, let's blame video games that have been around for 15 or so years and just ignore HUMAN NATURE which has be around for 5000+ years.  Those fucking Persians, I bet they did what they did after playing Prince of Persia: Zero.  And don't get me started on those Mongols.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: