http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:02:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're having a little girl  (Read 1882 times)
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 08:46:40 PM »

Here's a sad thing about GG being gone. I can't add to the thread I started 9 months ago where I questioned whether I should ever have a child, etc, then updated it 3-4 months ago to let everyone know we were having a baby and were excited about it.

Yesterday we found out we're having a girl. Only 1. I'm sorta disappointed. I was rooting for twins. smile  She appears healthy in there. All her fingers and toes and a head.

Can anyone recommend a nice movie with a father, little-girl relationship in it? Besides Family Man. Which is a cool movie, but then that kid basically ceases to exist by the end of the flick. Man, that disturbs me.

I'm looking at the pros and cons of having a girl. Pros are that when she gets really pissed, she'll probably get pissed at her Mom as opposed to me. Cons are that someday some boy is going to come along and take her away from us, whereas boys go and take someone else's little girl away from them (assuming heterosexuality of course). Pros are that they're supposed to be marginally cleaner and less wild than boys.

We've found our nanny/maid, who will start as soon as the new house is finished (which will be about 4 months after our baby girl is born). She's spent 6 of the last 8 years working as a nanny for a family helping to raise a set of twins (boy and girl) and their older sister. She's also my sister and she and my wife get along really well, so we're all really happy with the situation. She's worked for one of our companies for the past two years and has a fantastic work ethic. We're just dreading losing her when she finishes with her Masters in a few years.
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 08:49:47 PM »

Nanny and maid? So you've got the money tree seeds?
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 09:08:02 PM »

Congrats to you on that great bit of news. One movie that comes to my mind that I really enjoyed was "I Am Sam" with Sean Penn.

My daughter is now 6 months and she's been pure joy up to now. You'll be in heaven from the get go, especially with their first smile and the first "dada".
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 09:20:03 PM »

That's fantastic news, malichai. We've got our 20-week ultrasound in a couple weeks, but I don't think we're going to find out the sex. I've thought about the advantages/disadvantages of having a boy or girl. All the symptoms point to being a boy so far, but I had a gut feeling it's a girl. We'll find out for sure in March.

I don't know any movies that fit. There's "What a Girl Wants", but that's about a dad being reunited with a teenage girl.

I think it would be neat to have a daddy's little princess, despite the fact that I'd be outnumbered. A friend of mine has a couple daughters, and the one that I've met is absolutely precious. My cousin, on the other hand, has 2 sons (one is my godson), and there's no way I'd ever let those hyperactive little critters anywhere near my home. My cats would be traumatized for life.

Neat, and you're living in about my favorite city in the country (I'm a KU grad). Lawrence would be a fun place to raise a kid. Good luck, and remember you have a few years to perfect your "Lay a hand on my daughter and I'll kill you" speech.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 09:21:06 PM »

Matchstick Men?  biggrin

Seriously though, congrats.

LiveTAG: happydog
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 09:30:57 PM »

Quote from: "tripwire"
Congrats to you on that great bit of news. One movie that comes to my mind that I really enjoyed was "I Am Sam" with Sean Penn.

My daughter is now 6 months and she's been pure joy up to now. You'll be in heaven from the get go, especially with their first smile and the first "dada".

Thanks, I'll order that movie and give it a shot.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 09:37:24 PM »

Quote from: "Grievous Angel"
Good luck, and remember you have a few years to perfect your "Lay a hand on my daughter and I'll kill you" speech.

Yeah... I've been trying to figure out how to do that. I run that speech through my head a lot. It involves letting that boy know that I will hire people to follow him if I suspect trouble, that I am armed, that I will always be awake when he could be up to mischief with my little girl, and that I will destroy him if he hurts her.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 09:43:42 PM »

Malichai, contragulations man. I have a 7 month old daughter and little girls are awesome. They usually turn out to be "daddy's little girl" from what I am told. One thing I think is kinda cool is that girl clothes are a lot cuter than boy clothes, so enjoy the experience of buying her stuff to wear.

Just think. When she's old enough to date and brings boys around to meet you, you can be cleaning your gun in front of him and give him the old "hurt her and I WILL kill you" speech. I look forward to that day...

As for good father-daughter movies, I really enjoyed Jersey Girl. I am a big Kevin Smith fan so I was really looking forward to it. The unfortunate thing is that the previews made it look like a romantic comedy. Once again, another example of a movie studio completely mis-marketing a movie. The whole Ben Affleck-Liv Tyler romance angle was completely secondary to the main story, which is about a guy and his relationship with his daughter in the face of the choices he has to make between doing what's right for his girl and doing what he thinks is right for him. A lot of people didn't like the movie but I loved it, and it had a lot more meaning to me since I have a daughter.
Papa Smurph
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 10:04:42 PM »

I have a daughter who is now 4 years old, and a 2 year old son.  I have to say that I love them both and am very happy!  smile  However, when my wife became pregnant with our son and I found out it was a boy, I was a little bit unhappy.  See, I was originally scared to have a girl, but she was so great that I wanted another one!  Good for me, it turns out that a son is really great too.   biggrin

I can't think of any movie recommendations, but I will say that you will, without a doubt, be the happiest man you've ever been when that baby is born.  By the way, and don't be grossed out but I got kinda scared when my daughter was born and she was *purple*.  Turns out that it's normal, just from being in the womb or something.  So don't freak like I did and ask the doctor "Should she be purple like that, or are you just incompetent?"  (Ok, ok, I just thought the later part.)

Girls, in my experience, are less rowdy and more social than boys.  But they also seem to become "independant" faster (as in "I want to play by myself, leave me alone daddy").  Quick little story, my daughter and I were playing The Sims 2 the other night when our sims had a newborn.  I was playing with the baby to get it's "relationship" meter up with the parents when my wife asked by daughter "how much do you love daddy?".  So, my daughter says "My little red bar goes from the bottom of the screen allllll the way to the top".  (The bar in Sim2 is green, btw, and grows horizontally).  So I said "is that good".  And she says "I love you *this* much" and holds her arms as wide a possible.  There is nothing else in the world that makes you feel that good.    biggrin

So, to sum up, congratulations.  It's a scary step, having kids, but one that you will not regret.

GoneGold refugee
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 10:27:52 PM »

Quote from: "Papa Smurph"
Girls, in my experience, are less rowdy and more social than boys.  But they also seem to become "independant" faster (as in "I want to play by myself, leave me alone daddy").  

So, to sum up, congratulations.  It's a scary step, having kids, but one that you will not regret.

Yow. You need to come to my house. My daughter is insane. 2.5 years and a nut job already. slywink of course. I call her Crazy Hazy.

Congrats to malchi123493219 on the baby. When they whipped Haley out via c-section, I thought she was a boy (we didn't find out). Turns out her privates were not only purple, but quite swollen, giving the look of being hung.

Some bonuses of having a girl (I have a boy now, too, and figure I can be an authority on the subject):

1. NO CIRCUMCISION DECISION. I thought I'd be cool, calm and collected when the time came to make the C.D. with Riley. With a girl, it's come as you are.

2. Diaper changes are easy. My friend who had a boy said boy's diapers were easier. I call bull. Wiping the remnants of breast milk poo poo away from a boy's sack is one of the most difficult things I've done in a long time. With a girl, you just need to clean out all the folds. Remember: front to back!

3. When the women tell you how cute your baby is, you feel special. After all, she is half yours, no matter how ugly you may be. slywink

4. You get a Daddy's Girl. Selfish as it may sound, I LOVE it when Haley comes to me instead of Mommy. Mommy gets her all day; I get her 2 hours a night. That's my time.

Some bad things about having a girl:

1. Boys.

2. Being surrounded by Dora the Explorer and Princess stuff all the time.

3. Wait til she turns 6-8 or so. I 've seen stores like Limited Too where they want your daughters to dress like hos. Freaks me out.

4. Not much else.

Kids are cool. Congrats to you and keep us posted.

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 11:11:26 PM »

Quote from: "malichai11"
We're having a little girl

...and she looks delicious.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 11:43:36 PM »

We just had a little girl (our first child) 2 months ago today.  I can honestly say that I could not possibly love her any more than I do.  I was ecstatic to find out we were having a girl.  She is so sweet and adorable.

I really don't care for baby boys or little boys because they act like girls.  Why not get the real thing?
Phouka
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 11:50:48 PM »

Aw dude... congrats. I've got an 8-mo-old boy, and although it's a shock to my life, I've no regrets about being "tied down" by a kid. It's awesome.

But let's get real: You're having a girl, so you need to buy a gun. There's no getting around it. You're a guy, you know what guys can be like. Do you want some guy dating your daughter without knowing that you're a vindictive rat who'd shoot him for just looking wrong at her? My suggestion: a good pump shotgun that you can have sitting dissembled on the kitchen table when he comes over. Practice sitting there cleaning it and talking at the same time, so you can have the "when will you have her home?" talk while wiping it down. You could consider a handgun, but frankly (and speaking as an owner of handguns, rifles, and shotguns) there's just something about a shotgun that says "don't get me pissed off because you tried to cop a feel on my girl."

Best,

Pooks
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 03:58:00 AM »

Quote from: "Phouka"
But let's get real: You're having a girl, so you need to buy a gun.

You could consider a handgun, but frankly (and speaking as an owner of handguns, rifles, and shotguns) there's just something about a shotgun that says "don't get me pissed off because you tried to cop a feel on my girl."

I've considered that, but for psychological angle, I think the exotic/unknown would have a better impact. Like an SKS in a dragunov stock with a 30 round clip. That's an interesting looking firearm, and to the average person, pretty impressive (more so to some snot-nosed shitbird who thinks he can date my daughter).
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 11:56:02 AM »

Girls are the best  Cool !
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 01:32:52 PM »

Congrats, Malachai.  I'll second the 'Jersey Girl' recommendation; sure, if you wanted a romantic comedy, that's not it.  But for a good father-daughter flick, it's about all I can think of, and pretty well-done at that.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 09:52:46 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 15, 2004, 11:56:02 AM

Girls are the best  Cool !

With the birth of my son, some 16 months ago, I'd like to append this statement as follows.

When your first child is a girl, girls are best. When your second child is a boy, then they both are.

I love you kids!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: