http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:57:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We'd love your opinion on something  (Read 1155 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »

Yesterday, Ron, David and I came across a very insightful article written by Ben Kuchera over at the PA Report, and Ron posted about it here.

Needless to say, it REALLY hit home for us. Gaming Trend has been growing up a bit more as of late- traffic is increasing exponentially, non-PR hack/ original content is being published at a much faster pace than before, we're covering more gaming related events than before, and better. Overall, as producer of the site I think I can safely say our quality of content is increasing, even if our quantity and timeliness remains uneven due to the volunteer nature of the site.

Ron and I have been preparing to approach some of the bigger ad networks in the hopes of bringing in more revenue for the site in the hopes that we can get through some of these growing pains and take GT to the next level that we feel we're ready for, but there is a lot of trepidation and uncertainty in this path, and Kuchera's article underscores the risk/gain ratio with alarming clarity. The current online advertising model IS broken, and we've always been resistant to the "traditional" methods and vigilant with the networks we've worked with to ensure that the ads we run are at least tolerable to you, our readership. We already know how little we've gotten from those relationships in the past and how much trouble they are to deal with (certainly more than it's worth), and chaining ourselves to a bigger more ruthless advertising network for a few more pennies than we get now has always left a bad taste in our mouths.

Likewise, we've staunchly resisted the 'maximize pageviews' model that spawns from online advertising, and when we redesigned the site I removed the multi page concept from the design completely. We pride ourselves in (the occasional misstep notwithstanding) not succumbing to the sensationalism and shady practices of larger gaming sites, and we don't want to change that. Our mission statement is 'by gamers, for gamers', and we take that very seriously.

Where we are right now is exploring other options, crowdfunding being the one with the most potential, but we're really just spitballing at this point. We'd love if if you guys weighed in on this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:00:31 PM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »

30 views and counting with 0 replies?  This is something we really would like to hear your feedback on - if you could take a moment that'd help us a lot.

Thanks.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:53:40 PM »

I have no issues with throwing money at the directly and indirectly at the problem.  You guys have been whitelisted by me forever.  Another forum gets my Amazon affiliate purchase, and I've had no trouble throwing Paypal transactions when I deem fit.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:13 PM »

I would love to see a Gaming Trend kickstarter of some sort.  I have no idea what you would want to shoot for or how you'd pull it off, but I think there's the potential for something pretty nifty there.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »

I am more than willing to admit I block ads.  They are intrusive, can be a security risk, can be offensive and overall just hinder my enjoyment of a site.  If I enjoy a site, I will find ways to support it, as I have in the past by donating a decent sum of money to Gaming Trend, or subscribing like I recently did to Roll20.net. 

I also know that I am not your target audience, I do not read the front page as I no longer read gaming "news" or reviews.  I come to Gaming Trend for the forums, and the friendship, although to be honest I find I visit less and less as time goes by.  In the end Ron and company, you need to do, what you need to do.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 18, 2013, 08:12:10 PM

I am more than willing to admit I block ads.  They are intrusive, can be a security risk, can be offensive and overall just hinder my enjoyment of a site.  If I enjoy a site, I will find ways to support it, as I have in the past by donating a decent sum of money to Gaming Trend, or subscribing like I recently did to Roll20.net. 

I also know that I am not your target audience, I do not read the front page as I no longer read gaming "news" or reviews.  I come to Gaming Trend for the forums, and the friendship, although to be honest I find I visit less and less as time goes by.  In the end Ron and company, you need to do, what you need to do.

Honestly, I don't blame anyone for blocking ads. I probably hate them just as much or more than any of you guys do- they slow down the site, a lot of them use flash, we make a pittance off them...

In addition to ridding ourselves of banner ads, a crowdfunding might also enable us to finally make some much needed improvements to these forums   headbang

Mike Dunn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

Personally, I don't whitelist any site for ads anymore, including GT, for security, performance and just plain general browsing enjoyment.  When the text auto-link stuff was done here I took GT off my list.  I only want to see and follow links that people put in purposefully, not some random direct link to an ad or sales page.  I know what Call of Duty is, I don't need a skeezy auto-link to purchase it from Dealzorz.

I also really dislike the obvious attempts from other sites to garner extra page views with sexy images, controversial headlines, making you click through multi-page galleries, etc and appreciate that GT doesn't really do that.  I make a conscious effort not to click on articles obviously created that way and try not to visit sites that do those things (though I do still frequent a few sites like Kotaku for up-to-the-minute news, as much as I despise their practices).

So having said that, I would much rather just support GamingTrend directly with a donation like we've done in the past.  That kind of money not only goes directly to the site (no sharing with shady ad agencies or advertisers) and doesn't encourage crappy article writing tactics, but it is also probably orders of magnitude larger than what my ad views would be worth. 

Not everybody can or will do that, but some certainly would.  The GT forums are generally populated by people who are well out of college and make a decent living, so for those that can afford it I don't see a problem with spending a few bucks a month for a "subscription" here. 

I don't know what the answer is for traffic that only visits the front page, though.  Clearly it seems like there is a very large amount of the audience that never sees the forums or engages with the site beyond reading an article, so I'm sure you'd have to keep some ads there. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 18, 2013, 09:55:31 PM

Personally, I don't whitelist any site for ads anymore, including GT, for security, performance and just plain general browsing enjoyment.  When the text auto-link stuff was done here I took GT off my list.  I only want to see and follow links that people put in purposefully, not some random direct link to an ad or sales page.  I know what Call of Duty is, I don't need a skeezy auto-link to purchase it from Dealzorz.

Those would be included in the "lets get away from ads" campaign.

I don't know what the answer is for traffic that only visits the front page, though.  Clearly it seems like there is a very large amount of the audience that never sees the forums or engages with the site beyond reading an article, so I'm sure you'd have to keep some ads there. 

Well, the idea is to get away banner ads altogether. I'm not looking at this as a way to further demarcate the front page and forums, this is something we'd be doing for Gaming Trend as a whole.

Mike Dunn
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

Mike & Ron, I think maybe there aren't more replies, because it isn't at all clear what you want people weighing in on. What is it you want an opinion on? We all know banner ads are evil, so not much need for discussion there. Are you asking about crowd funding, what?

I've donated to the site in the past and willing to do so again.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:44:07 AM »

I already whitelisted GT. What more do you want from me?!?!?! Besides money, I mean.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 01:01:05 AM »

My only thing with Kickstarter is that I'm not sure what amount you would be throwing out there. Enough to run the servers for a month? Or would you go for a year. The people on the forums are a dedicated bunch and I'm sure you'll get some money out of it but would people on the front page be willing to donate? I'm sure they are mostly people that bounced here from Metacritic or something, not sure if they are the donating types.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 02:24:54 AM »

I thought after the PA kickstarter they said you can't run that kind of kickstarter anymore?  Has to be something that generates an end product.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 02:35:22 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 19, 2013, 02:24:54 AM

I thought after the PA kickstarter they said you can't run that kind of kickstarter anymore?  Has to be something that generates an end product.

You guys mentioned Kickstarter, not me  paranoid

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40:21 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on April 19, 2013, 01:01:05 AM

My only thing with Kickstarter is that I'm not sure what amount you would be throwing out there. Enough to run the servers for a month? Or would you go for a year. The people on the forums are a dedicated bunch and I'm sure you'll get some money out of it but would people on the front page be willing to donate? I'm sure they are mostly people that bounced here from Metacritic or something, not sure if they are the donating types.

If this were just about running the servers we wouldn't be considering this. There are a lot of things we'd like to do with this site that are hindered considerably by lack of time and funding. Again, we're still spitballing here.

If we do any kind of crowd funding, it would be accompanied by a lot of promotion. The key is structuring it to entice non forum goers as well. Sure, we get a lot of drive-by traffic, but I'd be willing to bet some of those folks come back from time to time, or like us on Facebook or Twitter.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:43:27 AM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 02:49:18 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 18, 2013, 10:23:26 PM

Mike & Ron, I think maybe there aren't more replies, because it isn't at all clear what you want people weighing in on. What is it you want an opinion on? We all know banner ads are evil, so not much need for discussion there. Are you asking about crowd funding, what?

Crowdfunding is a big part of what we're asking about- I don't want to just ask for money to cover server costs for x amount of time, I want to make this a better gaming site and community. What do YOU guys think we should offer (besides incentives) in exchange for your help? Crowdfunding is just as much about becoming a part of the thing you're investing in.

Other than that I left it a little ambiguous. Anybody have any other models we could explore?  icon_smile

Mike Dunn
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 03:10:10 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 19, 2013, 02:49:18 AM

Anybody have any other models we could explore?  icon_smile

Kate Upton is a model...I bet if you could explore her...on camera, it would generate lots of revenue.  (Unless your name is ATB)

ninja2
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 03:30:21 AM »

I whitelisted the site awhile ago, but I would support crowdfunding too.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 05:59:45 AM »

I would be happy to disable my ABP for this site if it will help you guys

I already see the banner up top (currently an ad for Call Of Gods),i presume ABP is for pop up type ads then right?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »

I have to say I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of responses here.  Maybe that's because of the ambiguity as previously stated?  Who knows, but I guess I expected more people to at least show some interest in the site's future.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 06:55:57 AM »

I don't care whether I have to click ads, crowd fund, or send you a personal check (I don't use PayPal ever since I got hacked a few years back) but I will support you guys however I can.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »

So, you want more page views for your articles, correct? I've thought about it, and it sounds like maybe the forum should be more integrated into the main site, more seamlessly perhaps via a forum skin that would display the latest content via a forum sidebar. Used to be that screen real-estate was more precious when monitors were smaller, but with bigger monitors now being the norm, a sidebar isn't such a big deal, and it would be a compromise I'd be willing to live with if it meant for more page views for the site content.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »

I was thinking a similar thing a few weeks back that Rumpy says

I was thinking a small forum type or just a few current stories(just the titles) links above the current 'Gaming' forum,that links to the front page stories..which obviously would keep updating/changing as you put more stories on the front page(if that's possible)

I think also signing in with the forum sign in would be more handy as well,i think when i post on the front page i have to sign in with my twitter account,as my usual forum sign in doesn't work for some reason

I do check the front page nearly everyday(Since Ron complained about us taking stories from other sites for the forums that are on the front page,so i try to make sure its not on the front page first,if it is,then i usually would link to the GT front page article in the forum topic),but i don't visit the front page anywhere near as much as the actual forums

Of course i am sure this is obvious and probably doesn't need saying,but people coming to this site and seeing the front page with articles with a lot of posts would be more encouraging,I have been to other sites when i see no posts on the front page articles and i think that the website is dead

I think of other sites i go to...take Eurogamer,CVG and GameInformer....i read and post on their front page articles,but i don't go to their forums...make of that what you will

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:03 AM »

I visit 4 forums.

One because I can do it on my work pc and it is not blocked which is Overclockers and to add its mainly a Uk forums and as such the only british user forum i frequent.

2 are due to the gone gold split which are GT and OO and the other is Quarter to Three.

Now to the point, at present GT forums seem very quiet and with only a few active posters. Topics move slowly and even more so on diferent time zones. Oe thing this has made me do is visit the front page more often than i used, my bookmark is direct to the forums.

So do GT need more front page visitors, forums visitors or both. Does the site do fine without the forum visitors or does having them help generate visitors.

I dont mind the adds, i dont block them i ignore them, i dont mind funding especially if its for improvements rather than just paying for running costs.

I also wonder at the target demograph, as forum users its the PC but most gaming is console even though pc does fine. Are you aiming at gaming in general or could there be a need on a more specific focus, especially with the next gen coming this xmas hopefully. Can that bring more visitors to both the Front Page and the forums.

Times are changing and maybe the next gen will speed that up, if unsuccessful could it mean a drop in numbers as well or maybe the transition to next gen will change things anyways.

As mentioned it may be worth tell us your vision (to a small degree) and then other ideas or thoughts would be generated.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 19, 2013, 07:12:06 AM

So, you want more page views for your articles, correct? I've thought about it, and it sounds like maybe the forum should be more integrated into the main site, more seamlessly perhaps via a forum skin that would display the latest content via a forum sidebar. Used to be that screen real-estate was more precious when monitors were smaller, but with bigger monitors now being the norm, a sidebar isn't such a big deal, and it would be a compromise I'd be willing to live with if it meant for more page views for the site content.

Pageviews aren't exactly the problem- we broke 1 million a month a few weeks ago. Gaming Trend is at a crossroads right now where we've got the traffic and we've got good content happening, but we want to take it to the next level and get better content out there, integrate our forums better, amplify our social media presence more, cover more events, etc. Our problem at this point is time and money, and traditional online advertising isn't going to make that happen without transforming the site into a direction none of us wants.

Mike Dunn
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »

Define "next level", Mike. What's the goal?

I'm with Reemul...there may be tons of page views, but the forums aren't reflecting that. People coming to view stories aren't being drawn into the community. At the same time, I think there are probably many forum vets that don't look at the front page. The two are not integrated. I think it would be desirable to capitalize on some of the foot traffic to build the community.

I would take a long look at what TouchArcade is doing. It might not be perfect, but they do a nice job of driving traffic from news articles to the forums (or at least attempting to) by linking to discussion threads from articles. They also use their search engine in their app the same way. When you search for a game title, there is a link to the discussion about that title on the info page. If there isn't a discussion, you can start one from the info page.

News sites are disposable. There are tons of them. There's no allegiance to them.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »

Yeah Touch Arcade is excellent, I have their app on my ipad, i use it for all the stuff im interested in, it links to reviews, discussions, forums etc and is really useful.

I like the idea of links to forums topics on the front page as well.

By the way the front page IMO is superb, looks so good, in fact it makes the forums and set up in general look poorer as its so good.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:09 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 19, 2013, 03:25:39 PM

Define "next level", Mike. What's the goal?

That's what we're still working out, hence the spitballing. This thread is just one part of the conversation we're having about this.

I'm with Reemul...there may be tons of page views, but the forums aren't reflecting that. People coming to view stories aren't being drawn into the community. At the same time, I think there are probably many forum vets that don't look at the front page. The two are not integrated. I think it would be desirable to capitalize on some of the foot traffic to build the community.

Certainly, but right now the balance of where we need to focus our attention tips in the direction of the front site, by dent of numbers and how much control we have. We have plans worked up for a forum overhaul with integrated comments (and in fact have done some work on it already), but a couple of months ago we had to shelve that for a bit to focus on other priorities that just made more sense with our long term plans and trajectory. We still plan to get back to that but it is not an easy project. A crowdfunding might enable us to outsource that and get it done sooner.

I would take a long look at what TouchArcade is doing. It might not be perfect, but they do a nice job of driving traffic from news articles to the forums (or at least attempting to) by linking to discussion threads from articles. They also use their search engine in their app the same way. When you search for a game title, there is a link to the discussion about that title on the info page. If there isn't a discussion, you can start one from the info page.

I'll take a look at that and see how that meshes with what we have worked out.

News sites are disposable. There are tons of them. There's no allegiance to them.

I don't necessarily agree with that blanket statement. I know personally there are some sites I frequent for news more than others, games or otherwise. When I stumble upon one I like I usually bookmark it and come back. This is a common behavior, really, so I'm not an outlier in this.

Mike Dunn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 19, 2013, 06:32:40 AM

I have to say I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of responses here.  Maybe that's because of the ambiguity as previously stated?  Who knows, but I guess I expected more people to at least show some interest in the site's future.

I think a big part of the lack of responses is the ambiguity of the topic.  I dont think that its because people are not interested ( there are a lot of views on the topic )  but how many of us actually understand the inner workings of the site or have a handle on the actual business models being used to support it?  Theres probably a very small number of people who feel they can actually add something constructive to the discussion.  Anyone can get on here and recommend a donation drive, a subscription based model or a crowd-sourcing effort but is that what Ron and Mike are really looking for here?  Theres some very bright people hanging around these forums and while the quantity of replies may not be huge, hopefully the quality will more than make up for it.  As far as me, I enjoy the site and hope its around for a long time.  Ill be happy to help however I can but I lack the knowledge to offer solutions (beside the very basic ideas already mentioned) that would be of any substantial use.  Im betting the lack of replies are because so many of us fall into that category. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »

I'm much less interested in having a bunch of news sites to visit, which sadly is why I never visit the front page of this site.  On my RSS feed I have a ton of them in there and honestly am about to pare them down because it's just too repetitive.  Notable sites that are excluded from this would be Penny Arcade Report and Giant Bomb.  Both of those provide much more than just spitting out press releases and I think if you really want to drive traffic to the site, you should work on coming up with something that makes you stand out from the crowd.  You can continue to do news and reviews, but I'd love to see you guys succeed and would be willing to kick in Kickstarter money if you offered something more than just the message board I'm used to hanging out at.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 07:36:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 19, 2013, 07:17:10 PM

I'm much less interested in having a bunch of news sites to visit, which sadly is why I never visit the front page of this site.  On my RSS feed I have a ton of them in there and honestly am about to pare them down because it's just too repetitive.  Notable sites that are excluded from this would be Penny Arcade Report and Giant Bomb.  Both of those provide much more than just spitting out press releases and I think if you really want to drive traffic to the site, you should work on coming up with something that makes you stand out from the crowd.  You can continue to do news and reviews, but I'd love to see you guys succeed and would be willing to kick in Kickstarter money if you offered something more than just the message board I'm used to hanging out at.

That's exactly the direction we are going in- Thanks to David we've been going away from the PR monkey bullshit that every site has (though we still have some) and posting more editorials and journalistic pieces (like this one for instance). We know this is what readers want and we plan to do more of it.

Mike Dunn
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 19, 2013, 07:36:53 PM

That's exactly the direction we are going in- Thanks to David we've been going away from the PR monkey bullshit that every site has (though we still have some) and posting more editorials and journalistic pieces (like this one for instance). We know this is what readers want and we plan to do more of it.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll check this out.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 19, 2013, 03:51:09 PM

I don't necessarily agree with that blanket statement. I know personally there are some sites I frequent for news more than others, games or otherwise. When I stumble upon one I like I usually bookmark it and come back. This is a common behavior, really, so I'm not an outlier in this.

Fair enough, I'm exaggerating. But I do think it is the case that readership of news sites tends to be more fluid. For instance, if a great news site popped up tomorrow, it might immediately change how often a reader goes to other news sites, but it is less likely to affect what forums they go to. I think forums are more "sticky" in that regard.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 19, 2013, 09:00:34 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 19, 2013, 03:51:09 PM

Fair enough, I'm exaggerating. But I do think it is the case that readership of news sites tends to be more fluid. For instance, if a great news site popped up tomorrow, it might immediately change how often a reader goes to other news sites, but it is less likely to affect what forums they go to. I think forums are more "sticky" in that regard.

Traditionally they have been, but the concept of forums as we know them is a dying thing- there are more outlets for conversations to happen. Not that we're giving up on the idea of a forum by any means, we just need to evolve ours so there's more relevance and integration with what's going on elsewhere on the site.

Mike Dunn
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »

Tell me where to throw some money and I'll throw some money.  While I appreciate what you guys are doing on the front page and still wander there occasionally (mainly when something of interest pops up in my FB feed), I don't really worry much about keeping up with gaming news anymore.  I'm mostly just here for the community, and will do whatever I can to keep that going.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 19, 2013, 07:36:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 19, 2013, 07:17:10 PM

I'm much less interested in having a bunch of news sites to visit, which sadly is why I never visit the front page of this site.  On my RSS feed I have a ton of them in there and honestly am about to pare them down because it's just too repetitive.  Notable sites that are excluded from this would be Penny Arcade Report and Giant Bomb.  Both of those provide much more than just spitting out press releases and I think if you really want to drive traffic to the site, you should work on coming up with something that makes you stand out from the crowd.  You can continue to do news and reviews, but I'd love to see you guys succeed and would be willing to kick in Kickstarter money if you offered something more than just the message board I'm used to hanging out at.

He's right.  I have really enjoyed the non fluff articles on the front page as of late.  There have been some interesting well written pieces.  Merrying the forums with this content should be the #1 priority.  Same logins for the comments section on articles would be a good start.  That one baffles me.  Linking those comments with a forum post would help stimulate the forums which are in dire need of fresh content.  And for the love of god can we separate the gaming forum somehow, it's a garbled mess since the merger.  I have very little interest in reading about the vast majority of console stuff but most people do not flag their post one way or the other.  IMO the post have gone down since they were merged.  May not be true but it sure seems that way.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:49:53 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »

The way I understand it, the problem isn't pageviews or keeping the forums active. It's the same problem as every other site on the internet: How to monetize the pageviews that they're already getting.

So here's my take: Gaming Trend could start a Founders' Club. Pay $2/month (or $20/yearly) to become a "Founder." If you're not a founder, you still are able to see the Non-Gaming forums, but aren't able to post in them. There would be contests open to Founders, like beta key contests and free games. It also removes ads from the forums.

This isn't unprecedented. ArsTechnica uses a Subscriber model, and it works pretty well. If you're not a subscriber, you can post in any technical forum, but you can't post in the hangout-type of forums.

So let's say that only 5% of forum members join, or about 150 members. That's $300/month extra that you can use towards the site. It's less than a cup of Starbucks coffee per month, and if a forum member really appreciates the forums, it's a price they'll more than likely be willing to pay.

So what do you do with that extra cash? You integrate the forums and front page so that users have one login across the site.

You also create a weekly web series every Monday called "The Week In Gaming." It's just a recap of what happened last week in gaming, maybe 3-5 minutes long max. Find a sponsor for it (preferably a company that isn't in gaming just in case you have to say something critical about their company).

Now take that money that the sponsor gives you and give that to people like David who've been instrumental in fixing the front page content (he totally deserves it) to help lock them down. You'll get better frontpage views, which will continue to push people to the site, and then they'll get directed to the forums, which will help them decide to be founders, and so on and so forth.

Would some people quit because of the paid area? Maybe. But those people who would decide not to visit GT just because they're not getting everything for free aren't the kind of people who will help the site in the long run, IMO.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on April 20, 2013, 03:51:21 PM

So let's say that only 5% of forum members join, or about 150 members. That's $300/month extra that you can use towards the site. It's less than a cup of Starbucks coffee per month, and if a forum member really appreciates the forums, it's a price they'll more than likely be willing to pay.

How quickly would only 150 users posting kill the forums?  (hmm though there are probably not that many more than that that post regularly anyhow) Plus that could also be a big deterrent on attracting new posters.

morlac00 on PSN
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »

Lee, I agree with Morlac here. If this were a much larger community, I'd understand that approach, but it runs counter to growing the community at this point, IMO.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »

Actually... tally up how many people post regularly in the Non-Gaming Forums. I would be shocked if that number was more than 300. We have a lot of lurkers, and they would remain unaffected.

Plus, people were just saying, "Tell me where to write a check and I'll do it."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »

Besides, to be perfectly honest, from a strictly monetary standpoint, we're not contributing a ton. What we do in this corner of the site is a drop in the bucket compared to the million frontpage views.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: