http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:39:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water Filtration Pitchers  (Read 1088 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:01:43 AM »

does anyone use these things?  I'm planning on starting to drink more water, but C-Bus city tap water sucks, so I'm looking at getting a pitcher with a filter built in to it.  so far I've seen the Brita and Pur ones- is either one supposed to be better or is there one I haven't seen yet?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:09:10 AM »

I fill water jugs at kiosks.  Filtered city water tastes just dandy to me.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »

I have both...I like the Pur one better.  They both work to remove the chalky taste in the water, but for some reason (taste bud preference wise) I like the one from Pur better.  I bought one at Costco and the other at Target.  They work great for me.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:37:57 AM »

I've used a Brita for years and it works quite well.  Never tried a Pur so maybe it works better.

gellar
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »

I live by my reverse osmosis system installed under the kitchen sink and hooked up to the fridge ice maker. It tastes better than bottled water and the ice cubes are crystal clear.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:20:16 AM »

I use a Brita and it's great. No complaints at all.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »

We use Brita.  It's a couple of gallons and sits on the top shelf.  It has a spout, so we just tap into that, and the water is always cold, which is the only way I can drink water.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »

We started using a Brita one this year and now we regret taking so long about it.  Tap water is actually drinkable again!  Now I can drink a few pints of water a day whereas before I'd drink very little.  Also, the UK has a problem with hard water which the Brita jug solves nicely.  We haven't had to descale the kettle since we started using it.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 02:24:20 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 16, 2009, 04:44:56 AM

I live by my reverse osmosis system installed under the kitchen sink and hooked up to the fridge ice maker. It tastes better than bottled water and the ice cubes are crystal clear.

We're in the process of redesigning our kitchen and the plan is to install something similar.  Relocating the fridge will allow us to utilize the ice cube maker, the filtration system will cut down on bottled water costs (and whatever chemicals we have dissolved in our bottled water), and who doesn't like clear ice cubes for their bourbon?   icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 03:48:23 PM »

We have used Brita's for years. My office has terrible water (chlorine taste) and the Brita takes that away. Same thing at home. No treated water flavor. The Brita water tastes (or doesn't taste I guess) like bottled water.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

We had a Brita, and now have a Pur... they were both good. The Pur fits better in the fridge because it's taller and narrower than the Brita was... though Brita might have new models now. I think the taste is good w/ both of them, and definitely worth it.

We never drink bottled water.  If you have to transport water, I can't recommend a stainless steel water bottle enough... totally tasteless.  Kind of pricey, but worth it.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »

I'm stuck with a Brita pitcher now - I'm not a big fan of it versus the Pur one I had to leave behind with the last X. They do a comparable job but I like the Pur cartridges slightly better they dont seem to bleed out coal pellots all over the damn place constantly.
I believe both are overpriced for what they do, however, and would love another option - you can feel your liver actually dying drinking city water here.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »

I buy Crystal Geyser Spring Water. Its $3 a case and comes from a spring about 30 - 40 miles from my home way back in the mountains. Actually been there . Its the best water Ive ever drank and I hate water. Also I can drop in a packet of kool-aid..perfect size for them.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »

I don't have a particular brand recommendation, but look for one with reverse osmosis filtration; necessary for removing the pharmaceuticals that get into the tap water.  Can get pricey quick though.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 11:51:20 PM »

i've been using a Brita pitcher for several years and have been very happy with the results...definitely makes a noticeable improvement in my otherwise mediocre tap water.  i've never tried a Pur filter, but i'd highly recommend Brita as an easy solution to the bad tap water problem.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 11:54:24 PM »

cool, thanks for the feedback guys.  I was going to grab one at a local grocery store but then it occurred to me the local Target might have a better selection of sizes to fit my compact fridge.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 12:07:39 AM »

Quote from: kratz on July 16, 2009, 05:17:08 PM

If you have to transport water, I can't recommend a stainless steel water bottle enough... totally tasteless.  Kind of pricey, but worth it.

Agreed.  I have a SIGG and love the damn thing.

gellar
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 12:44:41 AM »

After looking at those PUR 3 stage things that go on a faucet Im tempted to get one. But $40 for every 100 gallons? And if a well is not that great will it clean that water? Safe wise I mean. So wells around here are tainted and not usable. Ours may or may not be ok. Not drank it enough for symptoms hehe.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 12:53:20 AM »

Every time I think of these, I hear the commercial in my head:  "The Brita Wata Filta!"

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 05:30:22 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 17, 2009, 12:44:41 AM

After looking at those PUR 3 stage things that go on a faucet Im tempted to get one. But $40 for every 100 gallons? And if a well is not that great will it clean that water? Safe wise I mean. So wells around here are tainted and not usable. Ours may or may not be ok. Not drank it enough for symptoms hehe.

How much are you paying for bottled water again?  $3 per case of 16 oz bottles?  That's $100 for 100 gallons.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »

And god knows how many empty plastic bottles.  Do you recycle them, or throw them over the fence with the dog food tins?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »

Some thoughts for a bad economy:

+

drinking water, pure and plentiful
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »

We've used a Brita pitcher here at work for years. However, some of our office prefers drinking bottled or bottled carbonated water, and won't touch the pitcher stuff. The municipal water here is technically "safe" but it tends to taste or smell "off." I drink distilled water at home, just out of habit.

One tip I've read on consumer education articles is to just pour a pitcher of tap water and let it sit in your fridge overnight uncovered. This (they say) usually lets some of the chlorine-related odor/taste problems basically evaporate, and then it's usually a lot more pleasant to drink. That won't work everywhere, but I've tried it at home here and it does seem to help in the taste department.

If you use a treatment pitcher, probably the main things to remember are to replace the filter regularly (usually there's some simple dial or mechanism to remind you), and to not worry about tiny black particles in the water (assuming they aren't ticks from your hair  icon_eek, they're more likely harmless carbon filter particles, though you can rinse them out if they bother you).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16:02 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 17, 2009, 05:30:22 PM

How much are you paying for bottled water again?  $3 per case of 16 oz bottles?  That's $100 for 100 gallons.

$3 gets 24 bottles of 32oz.

And we have no recycling in our area so they either get garbaged or burned.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 17, 2009, 07:16:02 PM

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 17, 2009, 05:30:22 PM

$3 gets 24 bottles of 32oz.

And we have no recycling in our area so they either get garbaged or burned.
Good god man. They tax bottled water here for that very reason.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »

You might be interested in this comparison - why Pur is better  Tongue  and I also think that Pur counts as a mechanical and chemical reduction filter that complies to ANSI /NSF Standard 42 and ANSI/NSF 53 for the reduction of lead, mercury, cysts, turbidity, asbestos, benzene, P-dichlorobenzene, toxaphene, 2,4-D, and atrazine.  (whereas, Brita does not).
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »

All that is in water? geez how did people live 200+ years ago??

Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 01:37:23 AM »

We use the Brita it's been great. Costco carries the pitchers and filters too. I drink alot more water now than I used to.

-Cota
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: