http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 08:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was the Gargoyles animated series really this good?  (Read 1397 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »

I'm looking at the DVD for the first season of Gargolyes from Amazon (Link) and it has an average 5 star review based on 180 reviews!  Reading some of the reviews is like walking into the middle of a love-fest.

I never saw the show but I can get the DVD locally for under $20.  What do you think about the show?
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 02:53:16 PM »

I think there was a pretty big fan following of the show, and I admit that when I remembered to tune in, that I liked it.  There was a bit of an air of seriousness about it, and some of the stories were really well done.

Whether it's worth the 5 star praise I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a sizeable community that has been waiting for this to release for a while.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 02:56:29 PM »

Gargoyles suffered from the same problem as Batman Beyond and Invader Zim -- although they're animated, they just aren't intended for young kids.

Gargoyles is an excellent series, featuring complex characters, fully-fledged multi-episode story arcs, and some surprisingly deep themes.  It draws a lot of its insipration from Celtic and Norse mythology, especially as the series matures into its second and third seasons, and the Gargoyles universe is uncommonly well realized by the end of its run.

If you have any sort of digital cable or satellite television service and can get the "Toon Disney" channel, two episodes of Gargoyles are run back-to-back at 11:30pm and midnight every night of the week.  Unfortunately these episodes are cut down to eliminate some of the more graphic scenes, but the majority of the episodes are untouched and still extremely enjoyable all these years later.

I would snap up the DVD set in a heartbeat if I knew the following seasons of the show would also be made available.

-Autistic Angel
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 04:15:17 PM »

Not to mention that if you're a hardcore enough fan to buy the series on DVD, you will probably give it stellar ratings...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 05:28:05 PM »

Pretty big fan following is putting it lightly. I think The Gathering (Sort of a convention by the fans) is on it's 7th year now. Greg Weisman is still active with the community which you can't say about a lot of shows. It's one of the few shows, for me, where I didn't need the rose colored glasses because it was still good after all these years.
I suppose I would agree with Autistic Angel in that it is a teenager+ show but I wouldn't place it in the same league as Invader Zim as far as the violence is concerned. I can't really recall any deaths, though I'm sure there were a few as was the case with the entire Batman series (Animated Series, New Adventures, and Beyond). To which it shares sort of the same feeling as those shows.

And besides it's got Marina Sirtis, Jonathan Frakes, Keith David, and Bill Fagerbakke. You have to watch it for those people alone.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 05:32:03 PM »

Yes, the series really was a great watch. And as already said - it was a cartoon show not for kids.

I didn't know it was out on DVD, either. Thanks! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 05:33:40 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
Gargoyles suffered from the same problem as Batman Beyond and Invader Zim -- although they're animated, they just aren't intended for young kids.

Totally agreed.  I didn't watch a lot of Gargoyles or Invader Zim, but I watched Batman Beyond religiously.  I was bummed when they took it off the air and then made us go through the cut version of Return of the Joker.  They made it all right with the uncut release though.  I also was excited to see Batman Beyond in the Justice League Unlimited that ended the last season (and the following week the new season began...yeah, great scheduling there CN).

I am a huge fan of the Batman Animated Series and the Superman one.  I think WB television animation was at their best during the Timm/Dini era (up through Batman Beyond).  Now with one of them gone for Justice League and JLU, it just isn't the same in my opinion.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 06:55:30 PM »

I loved that toon...I remember the head gargoyle guy was the voice of another of my favorite toons but right now I cant remember who it was..I can still hear the voice in my head though.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 08:58:07 PM »

I really hope that they release Season 2 on DVD, because (for me) that's when things got really cool, really smart, and really enthralling. That's when the Shakespeare and the Norse and the time travellin' and the Arthurian showed up and kicked my ass while it blew my mind.

The Season 1 DVD is pretty solid, by the way, and worth picking up for anyone who enjoyed the series when they were younger.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 11:46:38 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I loved that toon...I remember the head gargoyle guy was the voice of another of my favorite toons but right now I cant remember who it was..I can still hear the voice in my head though.

It looks like the only main character he did was Spawn. Did some voices for Justice League and Teen Titons. For a man who I only know by his voice he sure did more acting, than voice, roles.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 12:53:10 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"

Gargoyles is an excellent series, featuring complex characters, fully-fledged multi-episode story arcs, and some surprisingly deep themes.  It draws a lot of its insipration from Celtic and Norse mythology, especially as the series matures into its second and third seasons, and the Gargoyles universe is uncommonly well realized by the end of its run.

my thoughts exactly...some great cartoons have disappeared simply because they were on a channel that went for the wrong target audience.  i never watched much Batman Beyond, but Invader Zim and Gargoyles are both great series.

like AA said, the real strength of Gargoyles were the ties to mythology...it really gave the show extra depth.  they also liked to work in a lot of Shakespearean references.  while adults find it interesting, those kinds of things go right over the head of most kids watching the show.  a shame really...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 04:46:44 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"
Quote from: "Daehawk"

It looks like the only main character he did was Spawn. Did some voices for Justice League and Teen Titons. For a man who I only know by his voice he sure did more acting, than voice, roles.

That my friends is the one, the only Keith David, who is a badass of a man.  He not only voiced Goliath and Spawn, he also kicked Rowdy Roddy Piper's ass (and got his own ass beat) in They Live.  According to his IMDB page, he also voiced a character in Planescape Torment.  I also saw him in a live play performance and he is an excellent actor all around.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202966/

And I agree with what everybody is saying about Gargoyles, though I wouldn't go so far as to say that it wasn't meant for kids.  I think the bigger compliment is to say that it was sophisticated enough for adults.  They had a storyline involvine Auberon of the Fey that was complex and engaging stuff.  A great show all around.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 05:35:50 AM »

Sounds like this is worth $20 pretty easily.  I'll pick it up as soon as payday arrives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: