http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War of the worlds  (Read 3236 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2005, 01:50:56 PM »

more like invasion in Jersey.
This is no Independence day, not even close.
What a peice of shit I cant beleive I spent $14 on this crap.
I now see why all promotions and spot light on Cruise for the past
two months. They knew this movie was\is crap all it has going is the hype
save you money for the cable TV viewing not even worth renting.  thumbsdown

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 01:56:28 PM »

I wouldn't say it was THAT bad, but it is absolutely a 'turn your brain off and eat your popcorn' kinda movie.  I hated the ending but hey...

***SPOILERS****

Its the same damned ending as the original.  Excuse me?  A cold?!  When the aliens DO come down here and beat our ass that 'I'll give you a cold' shit better work, we've invested too much in it not to.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 02:06:20 PM »

I really don't see why we needed another modern-day remake.  If they're going to make another one, why not faithfully set it in early 20th century London for once?  

Also, the book is much much better precisely because the aliens aren't invincible so the whole thing seems more realistic.  They take out a couple alien crafts with 1905-era artillery.  I think that also makes the illness thing seem at least a little more plausible.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 02:14:48 PM »

Quote from: "juniordan"

What a peice of shit I cant beleive I spent $14 on this crap.thumbsdown

You WANTED it to be like Independence Day? I'd rather eat shards of broken glass than see another travesty like that.  In fact, saying it's nothing like ID4 is a surefire way to get my ass in the theater this weekend.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 02:37:53 PM »

thats sad that the reviews appear to be so poor.  I like Dakota Fanning, and started to like Tom Cruise after years of finding his work crappy.  That was a movie I was looking forward to going to see.  Looks like another wait for the DVD release.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 04:30:49 PM »

It's worth seeing in theatre's IMO, since the first 90% of the movie is incredible, but the ending will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:43:31 PM »

I concur godhugh.  The special effects are fantastic!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 04:45:10 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I concur godhugh.  The special effects are fantastic!

Yep, and there are some really amazing scenes as well. The Creek, the Forest of Falling Clothes, etc... Great stuff, just ends after only 50% of the story being told.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 06:03:55 PM »

I saw it and liked it but I did know how it was gonna end.  The ending is lame in the book (of course it's 100 years old), and it's the same lame ending in the movie.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 07:15:56 AM »

juniordan wrote:

What a peice of shit I cant beleive I spent $14 on this crap.

th'FOOL wrote:
You WANTED it to be like Independence Day? I'd rather eat shards of broken glass than see another travesty like that. In fact, saying it's nothing like ID4 is a surefire way to get my ass in the theater this weekend.

It dont take much too see where they were aiming with this movie
did you happen to miss the date.
Like I said before this movie is crap and dont worth seeing until it reaches cable tv.  and thats a compliment its more fit for PBS if they want to risk it.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 01:22:04 PM »

What a grim, depressing movie without a single sympathetic character and so full of plot holes that Spielberg should be ashamed of himself.

ID4 was exactly what it was meant to be: a summer popcorn where the good guys overcome incredible odds and the bad guys get the shit kicked out of them in the end.

WotW is a pretentious mess. What pisses me off so much about Speilberg that he can be so brilliant sometimes and it shows at times even in WotW.

Oh, well...it was just a movie and my wife loved it so it wasn't a waste of time.

edited to add:

King Kong is gonna rock and Cameron Crowe has a new movie coming out. Yeah!

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 05:39:58 PM »

Put spoilers in the thread title?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 11:44:31 PM »

I know I'm super late to the party here, but me and my buddies finally saw WotW this afternoon. I really enjoyed it up until the crew wound up in Tim Robbins' basement. I was actually really enjoying it, plot-holes aside, but then the movie just became ... weird. It seemed so honest and realistic up intil the basement, so natural and gritty, but then Robbins' madman survivalist pulled me out of the movie. It's a shame.

Still worth seeing in the theatres, if only for the first two thirds of the movie.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 12:10:38 AM »

I'll rent it and probably enjoy it for the special effects. I looove special effects! :wink:
Still,I wish they'd do a faithful reproduction from Well's book.

Ye Olde Farte
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »

Hated it. Irredeemably awful characters to a person. You have a movie that focuses on three assholes who pretty much stay assholes all the way through, special effects that are fantastic but only great in parts, and plot holes you could drive a truck through. Terrible flick, and really disappointing because this was one I had such high hopes for.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 02:38:47 AM »

Funny, I enjoyed the characters. I hated Ray right from the get go, and didn't mind it. I didn't blame him for any of his actions throughout the movie. One review called him out on stealing the mini-van in the beginning, where as I respect the hell out of him for doing what was necessary to save himself and his children. And how was the daughter an asshole?

What were the plot holes that you hated? The only two things that irritated me where that, one, how in the hell were the tripods left unfound under the ground with all of the cities and city utilities (water, electricity, sewage, etc.) that would have been built throughout the world? And two, why in the hell did the tripods kill off everyone at the start, and then collect people near the end? To lower the threat to themselves, maybe?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 03:07:10 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Funny, I enjoyed the characters. I hated Ray right from the get go, and didn't mind it. I didn't blame him for any of his actions throughout the movie. One review called him out on stealing the mini-van in the beginning...

What were the plot holes that you hated?... And two, why in the hell did the tripods kill off everyone at the start, and then collect people near the end? To lower the threat to themselves, maybe?

I liked Cruise's character being an ass too, since I dislike him as an actor it made it easier to tolerate him being in the movie.  I'd have stolen the van too AND I wouldn't have bothered to slow down enough to try to convince the guy to come along either.

I figure the aliens knew how many they could kill and how many they needed alive.

***spoilers

Plot holes?  Main one for me being how the son not only lived but got to Boston in such good shape.  C'mon, he wasn't even limping or bandagad or anything to show he had been through hell to get there.  THAT was a straight out 'sappy ending for sappy ending's sake' plot development.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 03:51:50 AM »

Rage liked this movie, a lot. Rage thinks you guys are getting a little way too "high horsie too good for the movies" attitude with an admittedly silly summer popcorn sci-fi action flick. Enjoy it for what it is, not what you wanted it to be.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 03:56:58 AM »

Oh yeah, spoiler regarding the ending:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't mean to sound like a creap or anything, but I didn't want the son to have survived. I knew he was going to, because it's a summer Hollywood blockbuster, but I didn't think he should have. Plus, I think it would have made the ending more powerful: you have the mother come outside to see her ex-husband cut up to hell, her daughter basically shell shocked and silent, damaged goods for life ... and her son absent. Or at least have the son come back in really rough shape, maybe with a war story of his own, but not just magically home.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 08:40:45 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

***SPOILERS****

Its the same damned ending as the original.  Excuse me?  A cold?!  When the aliens DO come down here and beat our ass that 'I'll give you a cold' shit better work, we've invested too much in it not to.

Well, there's historical precedent from Earth to suggest that it might.  Jared Diamond, in Guns, Germs, and Steel, makes an argument that epidemic diseases foreign to Native N. and S. Americans (tuberculosis, smallpox, etc...) that were brought to the 'New World' by European explorers were responsible for the death of approximately 95% of the 'New World' population, all within 20 years of the arrival of Columbus.  Likewise, tropical disease previously found in areas unexplored by Europeans caused havoc among explorers and conquistadors.  In fact, the original attempts at building the Panama Canal failed because of the high prevalence of Yellow Fever in the region, and the French and British lacked the immunity to it that the natives possessed.

Anyhow, it's not as implausible as it might seem.  Guns, Germs, and Steel is a good book, by the way.

xbox live: nude rick james
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 08:47:53 PM »

To be fair to the movie, as I recall it didn't specifically say which germ or bacteria was the fatal one to the aliens.  

My point being that maybe the aliens WERE immune to Earth germs that were around back when they planted the tripods.  It could be that some NEW bug(AIDS maybe) that they weren't expecting is the one that got them.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 09:17:37 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
My point being that maybe the aliens WERE immune to Earth germs that were around back when they planted the tripods.  It could be that some NEW bug(AIDS maybe) that they weren't expecting is the one that got them.

So the aliens came down and got frisky with some earth women? What theater were you in, and was the title "Whore of the Worlds"? slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 09:26:29 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "gameoverman"

So the aliens came down and got frisky with some earth women? What theater were you in, and was the title "Whore of the Worlds"? slywink

Haha, Whore of the Worlds, the movie where the aliens just kept coming and coming....

Seriously though, the red/blood subtext of the aliens 'farming' the area around that basement hideout was hard to miss.  If you want to infect someone, blood to blood is a good way to do it.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 09:32:52 PM »

I couldn't tell you where I heard this - anyone with a biology background could either support me or tear me a new one - but I was told, or read, that any sort of xenobiology would not be susceptible to any sort of bacteria or virus on earth. This is because all of the diseases, deadly or otherwise, have had millennia to coexist and adapt to and exploit the life on earth. Foreign disease indeed wiped out a tremendous percentage of the indigenous American population because they were diseases that knew how to "work" on humans. He he, they knew which buttons to push, so to speak.

An alien life form, on the other hand, would literally be so alien to our germs as to be totally immune. Likewise, humans would have nothing to worry about as far as, say, a Plutonian flu would go.

So I've heard.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 10:19:45 PM »

I'm unconvinced of that.

I figure, until proven otherwise, any alien lifeform capable of space travel will be similar enough to us so that they are vulnerable to similar things.

Even fish need oxygen right, even though they live and 'breathe' through gills and water, not air like we do.

I figure if an alien needs humans(or parts of humans) for nourishment, that's proof enough of possible weakness.

Let's say I go to Pluto, maybe that alone wouldn't be deadly to me but what if I was to EAT something from Pluto?  That would be a whole new can of worms.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 10:28:05 PM »

Ahh, if they do require our blood for nourishment, then yes, I can see them falling victim to our diseases. Damn, dirty aliens.

But the fish needing oxygen thing doesn't work as a valid argument, because it's an Earth creature.

I guess I would also find it unlikely that a biological life form from across the stars would use us as nourishment, would be able to use us as nourishment, would have digestive/internal systems capable of using us as nourishment.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 10:35:19 PM »

I'm thinking along the lines of life developing elsewhere pretty much as it has here on Earth, with some key differences.   So you'd still have a lifeform that eats, digests as usual.  Still needs water and oxygen to some extent.  Needs an atmosphere somewhat like ours.  Can still coexist with plant and animal life as we do, and so on.

The reason I feel that should be the 'defacto' alien profile is that we have proof of such life existing-  here on Earth.  So at least we know for a fact that our kind of life DOES exist somewhere, and therefore can exist elsewhere.

Someone who wants to say that aliens would be totally different than us would have to find some way to establish that such life could even exist, much less be intelligent and travel through space.  That's my feeling on it anyways.
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 11:42:07 PM »

They have mastered intergalactic flight, but not antibiotics.

Now that I think about it, "V" used the "War of the Worlds" ending.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 12:07:16 AM »

Yeah look, I don't know where I heard the notion from, but our (Earthly) viruses wouldn't know what to do with drastically alien cellular makeups. And I'm not sure if it's fair to assume that alien life would be similar to Earthly life just because we've only found life on this planet so far.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 12:43:48 AM »

Dear Tom Cruise,

Your lack of belief in the existence of clinical depression tells me one thing: you didn’t spend $10. to see War Of The Worlds.

Alton Brown

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 01:56:13 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Dear Tom Cruise,

Your lack of belief in the existence of clinical depression tells me one thing: you didn’t spend $10. to see War Of The Worlds.

Alton Brown

"...If vitamins can possibly help me out of this spiraling funk, please let me know which ones. Dinos? Pebbles? Freds?

Please, I’m crying out for help."

AWESOME!!! :twisted:

He has a funny "Rants & Raves" section.  Too bad it isn't updated much frown  The rest of you can check it here.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: