http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:28:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War of the Ring (Board) Game  (Read 1310 times)
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2004, 05:18:19 PM »

Don't know if there are any other board gamers out there like me, but the buzz on this recent release has been excellent:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9609

I think I'll pick it up over lunch and see how it plays.

In War of the Ring, one player takes control of the Free Peoples (FP), the other player controls Shadow Armies (SA).
Initially, the Free People Nations are reluctant to take arms against Sauron, so they must be attacked by Sauron or persuaded by Gandalf or other Companions, before they start to fight properly: this is represented by the Political Track, which shows if a Nation is ready to fight in the War of the Ring or not.

The game can be won by a military victory, if Sauron conquers a certain number of Free People cities and strongholds or viceversa. But the true hope of the Free Peoples lies with the quest of the Ringbearer: while the armies clash across Middle Earth, the Fellowship of the Ring is trying to get secretly to Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring. Sauron is not aware of the real intention of his enemies but is looking across Middle Earth for the precious Ring, so that the Fellowship is going to face numerous dangers, represented by the rules of The Hunt for the Ring. But the Companions can spur the Free Peoples to the fight against Sauron, so the Free People player must balance the need to protect the Ringbearer from harm, against the attempt to raise a proper defense against the armies of the Shadow, so that they do not overrun Middle Earth before the Ringbearer completes his quest.

Each game turn revolves around the roll of Action Dice: each die corresponds to an action that a player can do during a turn. Depending on the face rolled on each die, different actions are possible (moving armies, characters, recruiting troops, advancing a Political Track).

Action dice can also be used to draw or play Event Cards. Event Cards are played to represent specific events from the story (or events which could possibly have happened) which cannot be portrayed through normal gameplay. Each Event Card can also create an unexpected turn in the game, allowing special actions or altering the course of a battle.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 05:44:30 PM »

Wow... just reading some battle reports, and it's stories like these that REALLY make me want to try this.

That's right boys and girls! In my second game of WotR my wife had taken Minas Tirith, all but eliminated Rohan and had smashed Lorien. Gondor was completely depeleted of men, I mean there were NO more Gondorians to be had.
My one shining hope was that earlier in the game, Gandalf the White had managed to take Orthanc and destroy Sarumon. This left me with only 2 VP's to victory. Still, there were no armies in the north to hold off the forces of Sauron. The northerners were too far away and the elves were mostly spent on the long hold of the southern fortresses. Gimli was dispatched and the fellowship made a mad dash to Mordor while Gimli did his work in the halls of the shorties. Soon an epic force of Dwarves headed east to try and take Sauron's mountain stronghold. A hord of Easterlings rushed to the abandon dwarf citidel. The fellowship sat perched on the rim of Mt. Doom, but were nearly corrupted and had to wait. The free people would fall the next turn if the dwarves did not successfully siege the stronghold. After a long day (almost 8 hrs!) the dust cleared and the DWARVES had won the day.

What a great game! After 8 hours over 2 days it came down to one fight. Awesome.

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 05:50:59 PM »

Sweet. If I could have more free time for 2 things, they would be reading and board games.  :?

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 06:02:33 PM »

Im pretty sure Yellowking has some experience with this game, maybe he will actually come post here about it smile
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 07:10:49 PM »

I grabbed it over lunch and it looks AWESOME.

I'll probably play a game with myself over the weekend to learn the rules, but it seems pretty straight forward, and the bits that come with it are outstanding.

s

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 07:40:09 PM »

Yep, this one is on my must get list. After the extrme disappointment of LOTR Risk I've been long awaiting a good LOTR tactical strategy game.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 08:45:56 PM »

I haven't had a chance to actually play my copy yet, but the components are absolutely beautiful.

Even so, I've already spent more time on this game (reading rules, organizing pieces & cards, and painting the bases of the miniatures) than I have on just about any other board game this year. If it plays as good as it looks (and judging from my read-through and the after action reports I've read, it will) it just may kill me. biggrin

BTW, some of those paint jobs (on the minis) posted over at BoardGameGeek are nothing short of amazing.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 09:41:57 PM »

Just what are they selling in this pic hmmmmm?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 09:54:36 PM »

Dice? Tongue

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 10:38:03 PM »

The eyes of Sauron sure look purty!  :lol:
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 10:41:32 PM »

Sounds cool, too bad I don't have anyone to play it with.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 10:48:24 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
Sounds cool, too bad I don't have anyone to play it with.

Window's unlocked.  Come on in, grab a beer. Tongue

s

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 10:55:57 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Dice? Tongue

Give'm a good shake!  Tongue

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: