http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:19:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to spend less at the pump? Lose some weight.  (Read 593 times)
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2006, 08:00:43 PM »

A new study says that we are burning more gasoline since we've gained weight on average since 1960.  Pretty interesting I thought.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/10/25/americans_girth_adds_to_extra_gasoline_consumption_study_says/

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

Are you calling me fat?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »

The amount of extra fuel consumption blamed on weight gain since 1960 -- 938 million gallons -- would fill almost 2 million cars with gas for an entire year. However, that is only 0.7 percent of the total amount of fuel consumed by U.S. passenger vehicles each year, Jacobson said.

Wow, you could save almost a whole percent! The increase in weight of the passengers is nothing compared to the increase in weight fo the cars. All that fancy safety and convenience equipment is heavy.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 25, 2006, 08:46:27 PM

The amount of extra fuel consumption blamed on weight gain since 1960 -- 938 million gallons -- would fill almost 2 million cars with gas for an entire year. However, that is only 0.7 percent of the total amount of fuel consumed by U.S. passenger vehicles each year, Jacobson said.

Wow, you could save almost a whole percent! The increase in weight of the passengers is nothing compared to the increase in weight fo the cars. All that fancy safety and convenience equipment is heavy.
I dunno... most older cars were behemoths compared to your average coupe/sedan today (SUVs being an exception, of course)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:36:19 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 25, 2006, 08:51:47 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on October 25, 2006, 08:46:27 PM

I dunno... most older cars were behemoths compared to your average coupe/sedan today (SUVs being an exception, of course)

I'll need to dig for the articles, but while it seems that way it isn't necessarily true. Todays cars are much more densely packed with "stuff".

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:45:14 PM »

I dug and found some data to prove myself wrong... average car weight now is approximately the same as it was in 1975, it bottomed out in the early 80s and has been climbing steadily since. I couldn't find data to show what was happening before 1975.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:17 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 25, 2006, 09:45:14 PM

I dug and found some data to prove myself wrong... average car weight now is approximately the same as it was in 1975, it bottomed out in the early 80s and has been climbing steadily since. I couldn't find data to show what was happening before 1975.

I believe in the study they didn't take SUVs into the equation; just cars and light trucks.  I'm too lazy to re-read the article at the moment, so I'll accept that memory as reality until I reread or someone else tells me I'm wrong   icon_smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 25, 2006, 08:34:00 PM

Are you calling me fat?

Yes.  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »

Quote from: JLu on October 26, 2006, 12:24:17 PM

I believe in the study they didn't take SUVs into the equation; just cars and light trucks.  I'm too lazy to re-read the article at the moment, so I'll accept that memory as reality until I reread or someone else tells me I'm wrong   icon_smile
\
haha

also, i love studies like this that a) dont take into account major "reasons why" and b) report miniscule findings.

=poop
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:17:17 PM »

Quote from: ElijahPrice on October 26, 2006, 05:08:28 PM

Quote from: JLu on October 26, 2006, 12:24:17 PM

\
haha

also, i love studies like this that a) dont take into account major "reasons why" and b) report miniscule findings.

=poop

Meaning they compared the weight and driving habits of only small vehicles and small trucks and the gasoline consumption today vs. then.  Of course more gas is being used because of SUVs... But more is also being used because we weigh more, and as such, similarly weighed vehicles are carrying more weight, reducing fuel economy...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: