http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:25:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want some torture with your peanuts?  (Read 1160 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:22:57 AM »

I REALLY can't make this kind of stuff up:

Just when you thought you’ve heard it all...

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser®. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers.

This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

The Electronic ID Bracelet, as it’s referred to as, would be worn by every traveler “until they disembark the flight at their destination.”  Yes, you read that correctly. Every airline passenger would be tracked by a government-funded GPS, containing personal, private and confidential information, and that it would shock the customer worse than an electronic dog collar if he/she got out of line?

Uh... Okay, I'm just speechless.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:54:51 AM »

I’ve never been on a plane…this isn’t helping my chances.
UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:52 AM »

It will cut down on air travel therefore saving gas. Win Win!

The threat of anyone trying to take over a airplane is now moot since 911. Most passengers know that there is no more little divertion of their flight that they think they can survive.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:10:18 AM »

Once we get used to wearing the bracelets on planes we can try it in other places: post offices (no more going postal), bus stations, trains, any government building, the possibilities are endless.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:10 AM »

They should just add the shocking ability to the new ID's that states are issuing that already have all the other stuff.

slywink

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:12:06 AM »

uh, yeah, no thanks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »

Then all you need to do to hijack a plane is get a device that triggers everyone else's bracelet. slywink
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »

We actually do need these, just on our elected officials.

Just Imagine: "Uh oh Mayor, by your bracelet's readout I can see your insta-approval ratings are dipping down again - don't ever forget that when they drop to <35% approval, the 'insta-bake' feature triggers - you better think twice about putting your cousin on the payroll..."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:41:27 AM by Speaker2Animals » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »

what will they do if a passenger has no arms?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »

The purpose of the Dept of Homeland Security is to maximize security. One expects such enthusiasm from them as they work their way up to immobilizing air passengers in sealed pods: The ultimate in safety and efficiency! Fortunately, the Dept of Civil Rights was established to rein in such nonsense.

Wait. There's no Dept of Civil Rights?

Hmmm. I need to rethink this post.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2008, 02:54:10 PM

what will they do if a passenger has no arms?

Females will wear it on their ankle.

Males, however...

Spawn of OO Collective
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »

I'm not a fan of infringing on civil liberties, but I've had different feelings when it comes to flying a plane.  You are giving up a lot of you what you would call "rights" when you allow yourself into a contract to get on a plane, IMO.  I also don't think unreasonable for a plane to charge you by weight or size.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the government mandating bracelets.  That sits uneasy but I can easily see them making the avenue available to airlines.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 05:26:46 PM »

Obviously this will never happen.  However, I'm not sure I would mind it if it would do away with the stupid unnecessary and overly burdensome security procedures currently in place.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 07:29:44 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on July 08, 2008, 03:51:34 PM

I'm not a fan of infringing on civil liberties, but I've had different feelings when it comes to flying a plane.  You are giving up a lot of you what you would call "rights" when you allow yourself into a contract to get on a plane, IMO.  I also don't think unreasonable for a plane to charge you by weight or size.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the government mandating bracelets.  That sits uneasy but I can easily see them making the avenue available to airlines.

Actually, you are in favor of infringing civil liberties.  You're just trying to justify it.

Personally, I'm not in favor of letting private companies torture civilians.  I can see the first time one of these goes off on a pacemaker...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 11, 2008, 07:29:44 PM

Quote from: LordMortis on July 08, 2008, 03:51:34 PM

Actually, you are in favor of infringing civil liberties.  You're just trying to justify it.

Personally, I'm not in favor of letting private companies torture civilians.  I can see the first time one of these goes off on a pacemaker...

+1. My wife has a pacer/defibrillator and were one to go off on her, she'd likely die.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 07:30:26 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 11, 2008, 07:29:44 PM

Oh, come on! Blackwater has done an exceptional job in Iraq. What could possibly go wrong if we let a private company look after our safety?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: