http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:11:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vitamins  (Read 530 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »

Do you take them? If so, why? If not, why?

What kind do you recommend?

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »

It seems like most health nuts claim they donít do much but I take them anyways because my diet is horrible and I figure itís better than nothing. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 09, 2013, 05:09:50 PM

It seems like most health nuts claim they donít do much but I take them anyways because my diet is horrible and I figure itís better than nothing. 

That's why I was leaning into taking them...to get nutrients I miss..
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »

My doctor told me that taking vitamins is mostly a waste of money and basically gives you expensive pee.  There are some exceptions when it comes to supplementals like vitamin D, but multi vitamins are almost worthless nutritionally.  His advice is that with a proper diet, you never need vitamins., so eat right.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »

Yeah, what rshetts said. I eat a pretty well balanced diet. I did try taking a multivitamin for a little while in the wake of all the press about Americans not getting enough D (esp. in the winter when us northerners see almost no sunshine), but was never quite able to make it a regular habit.

My doctor friend says that us pale northern types really would benefit from more vitamin D. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »

I'll occasionally drink a Vitamin Water, but other than that I don't take them in pill form.  Sometimes the VW will give me some nasty runs though; it happens at random so I'm not sure why, but every now and then I'll drink one and then a half hour later I'll be able to shit through a screen door at 20 paces.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 09, 2013, 05:09:50 PM

+1
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »

I take fish oil pills and vitamin D. My doctor is hot on those two. He said that if you eat an average diet most other requirements were already met so a vitamin pill was unnecessary.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »

Most multivitamins are pretty crap.  If you're going to go that route, get the good stuff at least.  Here's what I take daily:

Omega-3
Vitamin D (2000 iu minimum)
Psyllium husk (fiber)
Low dose aspirin
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on July 10, 2013, 10:33:27 PM

I take fish oil pills and vitamin D. My doctor is hot on those two. He said that if you eat an average diet most other requirements were already met so a vitamin pill was unnecessary.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fish-oils-may-raise-prostate-cancer-risks-study-confirms-6C10597283

Today it's bad for you. Tomorrow it's good. Tomorrower it's bad again.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »

I'm over 40.  I take flintstones chewables.  My diet sucks, so I figure it can't hurt.  smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »

Quote from: gangeli on July 11, 2013, 02:57:11 PM

I'm over 40.  I take flintstones chewables.  My diet sucks, so I figure it can't hurt.  smile

I saw they have gummy vitamins nowadays.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2013, 03:49:11 PM

Quote from: gangeli on July 11, 2013, 02:57:11 PM

I saw they have gummy vitamins nowadays.

for adults too....
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »

Yeah, I take gummy multivitamins.  smile  I also take a B-Complex, time-release Niacin and fish oil. 

My diet is not exactly the most balanced there is so I'm sure I could always use some vitamins, and I've certainly noticed a change in mood and energy level since taking this combination.  If it's just a waste of money, well, then it's not a very big one.  I think I spend more on lunch some days than this costs me a month.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »

My doctor used to be big on niacin but he has cooled on that. Of course if you have a history of heart trouble they will recommend that.

My doctor gave me the option of flax or fish oil. Fish oil was cheaper if I remember right. He was also big on a few other options for fish oil or flax but I don't remember them now.

I also do the .80mg aspirin every night.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:03:10 AM »

The scientific consensus right now is that for first world people, almost all do not need to take vitamins. The food we eat is of such high quality and variety, often fortified with extra vitamins on top of that, that we really no not need to supplement.

Any extra vitamins are wasted, in fact, it's just more work for your kidneys to extract them, and you end up literally peeing the money away.

However, for some, they do need supplementation, but usually it's for something that your doctor can diagnose.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:00:07 AM by Turtle » Logged
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 04:11:02 AM »

What about someone who hasnít eaten a vegetable in 6 years and rarely eats meat?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 05:39:02 AM »

I'm going to guess that their diet is high in minerals...?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »

UhÖ are there a lot of minerals in bread, fruit and dairy?  I do cook solely in cast iron though, which Iíve been told fortifies everything with iron.  Maybe thatís why Iím still alive?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »

I was going with the animal, vegetable, mineral joke.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »

I'm taking a basic One a Day "Men's" Vitamin. imho, the main problem is the vitamin industry is not regulated/inspected. The box/bottle CLAIMS it has this that and the other vitamin. It can claim to cure cancer and grow hair on your bald head, etc. But there's no testing to speak of. Nobody is crunching your vitamin in a test tube to verify it actually has anything in it at all. We could all just be swallowing/chewing sugar pills for all we know.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 02:31:10 AM »

I generally take a multi-vitamin. My GI said it can't hurt. As a someone who suffered from severe crohns and has had a small bowel resection, I don't absorb nearly as much as I should, so getting some extra in there doesn't hurt.

I would think that if you could get it in a liquid form it would be easier to absorb some of the vitamins and minerals, maybe not others. I know I need B and Iron more than most, and my counts have stayed normal, so I guess it helps. I still doubt it does much, but I take it at my GI's urging.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »

I generally take a multivitamin during the winter months. I still get sick so in don't know whether it's doing anything. I'm pretty sure it's not hurting me so I don't mind spending a little money. This winter I think I'm going to load up on 4000 iu of vitamin D a day as that's supposed to ward off colds.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 15, 2013, 08:53:59 AM

I generally take a multivitamin during the winter months. I still get sick so in don't know whether it's doing anything. I'm pretty sure it's not hurting me so I don't mind spending a little money. This winter I think I'm going to load up on 4000 iu of vitamin D a day as that's supposed to ward off colds.

Oil of Oregano at first sign of symptoms.  It'll blitz whatever you were on the way to getting away.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 12, 2013, 09:02:17 PM

I'm taking a basic One a Day "Men's" Vitamin. imho, the main problem is the vitamin industry is not regulated/inspected. The box/bottle CLAIMS it has this that and the other vitamin. It can claim to cure cancer and grow hair on your bald head, etc. But there's no testing to speak of. Nobody is crunching your vitamin in a test tube to verify it actually has anything in it at all. We could all just be swallowing/chewing sugar pills for all we know.

That's not actually true.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 11, 2013, 01:14:45 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on July 10, 2013, 10:33:27 PM

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fish-oils-may-raise-prostate-cancer-risks-study-confirms-6C10597283

Today it's bad for you. Tomorrow it's good. Tomorrower it's bad again.

So a person in the linked article says "These fish oil supplements in which some men getting mega, mega dosesÖin our opinion that is probably a little bit dangerous". Any idea what in the heck a "mega mega" dose might be? Or even a mega dose? I was recently checking out various products and they all have different amounts of EPA, DPA and DHA in them but I have no idea if any (or all?) of them would fall into this "mega" category.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: