http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 04:48:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vietnam War mini-series a la Band of Brothers- YES or NO?  (Read 4292 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up-this idea just popped into my head as I read Marlante's unbelievable Vietnam War fiction called Matterhorn.  As I read it I can't help but thinking, 'Man I wish HBO would do a 10 part mini series of this book!'  
Seriously, if you have any interest in the topic then go grab yourself the book and if you have interest and a hundred million bucks then please get on that mini series.  If anyone knows of any other Vietnam war related TV series that have already been made then please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:07:21 PM by Canuck » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »

Tour of Duty was a tv show about Vietnam. I remember liking it as a kid...but I've no idea if it holds up.

A good- but VERY dense- book about vietnam is 'Hell in a Very Small Place'.  Hal Moore read it before going into war with the first ever helicopter cavalry as described in We Were Soldiers, Once. 

We Were Soldiers is probably my favorite book about war.  It's brilliant.  I'd recommend that over 'Hell'.

And yes, I'd love a Band of Brothers in Vietnam type series. 
Trink
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »

Gf's dad was a door gunner in the 1st Airborne.  1st company.  I get loads of vietnam stories from him.  He was also a medal of honor winner.

Would still love to see a mini series about it, like BoB.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »

I would watch for sure.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »

I agree about Tour of Duty - that was a very good series and IIRC it managed to stay on the air for 4 seasons. I can't remember the technical aspects so well, but I remember being quite impressed by the realism of it. There were certainly films out before 1987 that technically depicted the war quite accurately. If you're really interested in the subject, it would be worth tracking down for a viewing.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »

I still need to get The Pacific on DVD,but i would love a Vietnam one....it would complete the trilogy wouldn't it? icon_wink

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »

they should do the Korean War next; there's already a ton of Vietnam films out there, it seems like Korea is rely becoming 'The Forgotten War'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »

Generation Kill completed the trilogy for me
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:21:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 13, 2011, 07:12:48 PM

they should do the Korean War next; there's already a ton of Vietnam films out there, it seems like Korea is rely becoming 'The Forgotten War'.

actually i wouldn't mind this,i know pretty much nothing about this war,except what little i could get from episodes of M.A.S.H.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »

What about China Beach which is sort of the Vietnam equivalent of M.A.SH. only without the humor?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:25:39 PM by TK-421 » Logged

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on February 14, 2011, 02:22:18 PM

What about China Beach which is sort of the Vietnam equivalent of M.A.SH. only without the humor?

I used to love China Beach (had a big Dana Delaney crush). I mean, maybe the whole "Vietnam/war is hell" concept has been overdone, but I think it's been out of the spotlight for a while and there are probably plenty of good stories that would make good television. I think other than the Mel Gibson movie there hasn't been much on Vietnam since Platoon/Full Metal Jacket and those TV shows. Video games have even neglected it for a while in favor of WWII (and now "modern" combat).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »

I wouldn't mind seeing a WWI series either, since I don't know a whole lot about it. Unless of course it's just a bunch of guys sitting in trenches the whole time. It would be like the WWI equivalent of Das Boot.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »

Theres a lot of history wrapped aound the vietnam war.  A series like this could be very interesting.  It would be cool to see a series that covered not only what was happening in 'Nam but what was going on at home.  This military action was arguably one of the most publically despised actions our government has ever taken.  It caused protests across the nation and eventually led to our own military firing upon and killing innocent citizens.  The Vietnam era brought with it an end of innocence and the US has never been the same since.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:01:54 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 14, 2011, 03:34:37 PM

It caused protests across the nation and eventually led to our own military firing upon and killing innocent citizens.

I feel the need to clarify your statement. The people that fired on the students at Kent State were National Guard troops, not active duty military. There were there at the governor's request, not from any federal agency or request.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 13, 2011, 07:06:48 PM

I still need to get The Pacific on DVD,but i would love a Vietnam one....it would complete the trilogy wouldn't it? icon_wink

What about Korea.....?
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »

Theres a lot of history wrapped aound the vietnam war.  A series like this could be very interesting.  It would be cool to see a series that covered not only what was happening in 'Nam but what was going on at home.  This military action was arguably one of the most publically despised actions our government has ever taken.  It caused protests across the nation and eventually led to our own military firing upon and killing innocent citizens.  The Vietnam era brought with it an end of innocence and the US has never been the same since.

I think most Americans supported the war...at least until 1968.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »

I'd like to see a movie or miniseries based on the book Matterhorn. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 14, 2011, 04:01:54 PM

It caused protests across the nation and eventually led to our own military firing upon and killing innocent citizens.

I feel the need to clarify your statement. The people that fired on the students at Kent State were National Guard troops, not active duty military. There were there at the governor's request, not from any federal agency or request.

You are correct, Kent State was national guard. They were requested by the governor and approved by President Nixon. On May 4th, 1970,  Armed troops trained by our military fired on a gathering of approximately 500 students. Of the 4 killed, 2 were not involved in the protest and were simply walking to class.
  I didnt want to argue semantics though, the point was it was one of the most interesting and volatile wars in US history, both home and abroad.  I thought that a series showing both aspects would be interesting.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »

Tour of Duty and China Beach was both good series, but ToD suffered during season two as the network wanted to add female viewership and added unneeded female cast.  When season three rolled around the writing was on the wall for this series.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 13, 2011, 04:13:00 PM

I agree about Tour of Duty - that was a very good series and IIRC it managed to stay on the air for 4 seasons. I can't remember the technical aspects so well, but I remember being quite impressed by the realism of it. There were certainly films out before 1987 that technically depicted the war quite accurately. If you're really interested in the subject, it would be worth tracking down for a viewing.

I liked China Beach, but I was glued to Tour of Duty every week.  I wonder why they haven't appeared on reruns;  I seem to remember a hue and cry when ToD was taken off the air.

Memory lane:

nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on February 14, 2011, 06:34:43 PM

Quote from: kronovan on February 13, 2011, 04:13:00 PM

I liked China Beach, but I was glued to Tour of Duty every week.  I wonder why they haven't appeared on reruns;  I seem to remember a hue and cry when ToD was taken off the air.

Loved Tour of Duty.   One of the best things about the show was it's  sound track,  which included some fantastic rock from the 60's. when I was stationed in West Germany, I  picked a couple of CDs of the show's music.   A few  years ago I watched the show on DVD, and was kind of shocked that they'd scrubbed all the great music from the show.   The opening theme "Paint it Black" was replaced with some instrumental score.    Guess it was copyright problems.   
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 13, 2011, 12:45:53 PM

Tour of Duty was a tv show about Vietnam. I remember liking it as a kid...but I've no idea if it holds up.
Being on network TV, Tour of Duty was really hamstrung -- no cussing, no gore, nothing more violent than the average police show of its time. It's still worth a look today because the characters were interesting. The full DVD set (1987-1990) is about $62 on Amazon fwiw. And it and China Blue (a nurses drama set at an Army base in Vietnam during the war) in 1988-1991 were probably the only network shows set during that war.

As for a show, sure I'd be interested. But Hanks and Spielberg seem strictly WWII history buffs. I don't see them having any interest making a mini-series based on stuff in Korea, Vietnam, or the more recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Perhaps if some Vietnam War veterans write to them about the idea, it might get their interest.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:59:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »

I would love a Vietnam war mini-series, a la Band of Brothers. However, I would prefer that it be based on real units and real historical actions. Perhaps following the 1st Cav? Its got the Battle of Ia Drang, Operation Pershing, relieving the Marines at Khe Sang, and then A Shau Valley ops. Lots of stuff to draw from there.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 24, 2011, 05:54:24 PM

As for a show, sure I'd be interested. But Hanks and Spielberg seem strictly WWII history buffs. I don't see them having any interest making a miniseries based on stuff in Korea, Vietnam, or the more recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Perhaps if some Vietnam War veterans write to them about the idea, it might get their interest.

Maybe something about the US Navy fighting the Japanese in the pacific?  Set it on a Destroyer or a Cruiser in the Solomons Islands Campaign.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: