http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video File Problem [no sound]  (Read 1360 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2004, 07:51:13 PM »

Hey all, I have the entire Firefly season 1 on my hard drive however I'm having trouble playing them.

Each episode is a separate file, and when I open one of the files with Windows Media Player, it searches for a codec with no luck. Eventually the file loads and the video quality is outstanding, but their is no sound. I'm not really new to all this, but I sure haven't been messing with Divx etc. in a while.

The files appear to be xVids, and I downloaded the Xvid codec and it still didn't work. The files are confirmed to be 100% working files though, with audio, so I know it's just something on my end.

Lastly, once I figure out how to fix the sound problem, how would I go about joining the episodes together, to burn a DVD with them?

I know how to convert from Divx to DVD etc., and am familiar with dvdrhelp.com and all the walkthroughs there. These files appear to be different though so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 08:33:37 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Hey all, I have the entire Firefly season 1 on my hard drive however I'm having trouble playing them.

Each episode is a separate file, and when I open one of the files with Windows Media Player, it searches for a codec with no luck. Eventually the file loads and the video quality is outstanding, but their is no sound. I'm not really new to all this, but I sure haven't been messing with Divx etc. in a while.

Well, I'd check to see what codec you used to encode them from the original DVDs that you must own and try to work your way forward from there.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 11:25:56 AM »

Something you might look at....

I find that one of the Xvid codec files on my system gets locked by the system, so that when I install a new version, it doesn't properly update.  You might uninstall Xvid, then go look for the files in your Windows\system32 folder and see if they're still there.  If they are after a reboot, move them and then reinstall the codec.  I usually know I need to do this when the video stutters..not a sound issue though.

On a side note,  does anyone else think of the Metal Gear series when they see codec?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 02:31:58 PM »

Thanks guys.  I downloaded a codec pack and it took care of the problem.  The quality of the Xvid is oustanding.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 02:58:16 PM »

On a side note, does anyone else think of the Metal Gear series when they see codec?
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

Nope, not at all.

On a related note, my dvd player plays Divx and Xvid.  I only had two items to try and both had shoddy source material.  I'll have to divx a dvd and see how she turns out to see if its the player or if its the material.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 04:45:37 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
On a side note, does anyone else think of the Metal Gear series when they see codec?
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

Nope, not at all.

On a related note, my dvd player plays Divx and Xvid.  I only had two items to try and both had shoddy source material.  I'll have to divx a dvd and see how she turns out to see if its the player or if its the material.

WinAVI works like a charm and is really easy.

My Xbox will soon play Dvix and Xvid, so then I'll be set and not have to go through the conversion each time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: