http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:10:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon FiOS  (Read 1503 times)
Covenant
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »

So I'm in the process of choosing a cable/internet/phone provider for my new house and was wondering if anyone here has experience with Verizon FiOS.  How's the HD and how's the service?
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:49:49 AM »

I have had fios for almost two years and love it...internet is great...phone is fine (cant tell the difference)....and tv is very good. They have added a ton of HD programming and add more every few months. there are enough movie and regular channels I never need to go for standard def anymore. (except for tvg).

The mottorla equipment is so so...had some problem with updates (needed to reboot a couple times)...the guide is good and user friendlty too
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »

The ATT guys have been workign in our neghborhood for the past couple weeks getting us ready for Uverse... I can't wait to join the fiber world. 4 Tuner DVR would solve all my TV scheduling headaches and it'll be much cheaper than what I currently pay and mayve even cheaper than most fiber uses as I may be in one of the few areas where Verizon and ATT are competing with fiber services.

I can't wait!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 17, 2008, 06:27:53 PM

The ATT guys have been workign in our neghborhood for the past couple weeks getting us ready for Uverse... I can't wait to join the fiber world. 4 Tuner DVR would solve all my TV scheduling headaches and it'll be much cheaper than what I currently pay and mayve even cheaper than most fiber uses as I may be in one of the few areas where Verizon and ATT are competing with fiber services.

I can't wait!

UVerse is most likely not going to be fiber to the premise (FTTP) unless it was built into a new development.

The customer's premises are served primarily by VDSL from large fiber fed neighborhood boxes, known as VRADs. In newer developments, U-verse may also be deployed over FTTP. The network was designed for speeds of 20-25 megabits down, 1 to 3 megabits up, with the majority of the bandwidth devoted to the TV programming.   These speeds are generally reliable within 3,000 feet (900 m) from the neighborhood gateway, though AT&T has announced they will bond two wires to extend those speeds to 5,000 feet (1,500 m).[citation needed] Homes closer than that can receive higher speeds downstream, possibly 40-50 megabits up to 1,500 feet (500 m).[citation needed] AT&T has local facilities (cross connects) within 5,000 to 6,000 feet (1,500 to 1,800 m) of most homes, some of which already are fed by fiber.[citation needed] Inside the customer's home the new services are carried over Ethernet or a HomePNA home CATV network.

It's a IP-based technology that means they don't have to keep ripping up neighborhoods every few years for fatter pipes by only delivering the channels you request over the same feed rather than trying to push all the cable channels through the wire at the same time. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:50:41 PM »

I can't wait!

They're putting it into my neighborhood as well.  I saw an article in the local paper that was about a bunch of neighbors bitching about them putting the big boxes in the easements by their houses.  I was "Bitch away, just don't get in my way of getting better speed!"
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on September 17, 2008, 06:50:41 PM

I can't wait!

They're putting it into my neighborhood as well.  I saw an article in the local paper that was about a bunch of neighbors bitching about them putting the big boxes in the easements by their houses.  I was "Bitch away, just don't get in my way of getting better speed!"

Quote from: Wiki VRAD
To make its U-verse services available to customers, AT&T needs to install VRADs in the areas they will service. The VRADs are quite large, around 150 cm wide, 122 cm tall, and 66 cm deep, which has drawn complaints from homeowners. The utility boxes are also a target for graffiti. One of AT&T's competitors, Comcast, has run ads in the Chicago area against U-verse, based on the size and unsightly appearance of AT&T's VRADs. This has cause AT&T to file suit against Comcast.

Four VRADs have exploded due to faulty batteries, at least one causing shrapnel to hurl "fifty feet throughout the neighborhood." The batteries were manufactured by Avestor, a now bankrupt company. AT&T has elected to replace all 17,000 Avestor batteries currently used by it's VRADs. As of July 24, 2008, AT&T has replaced all Avestor batteries with Alcatel SAFT Ni-Cad batteries. SAFT batteries have a 10 year life and are safer to maintain.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »

The boxes explode too!  Cool!!!
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:44:27 PM »

I just recently switch from comcast and it is nice. Got the triple play, phone, internet, and tv. The only problem is that I have to use there router, it is ok because they give me access to it to open ports but I have not been able to get port 80 to work - I guess they don't want you running a web server. I have to use there router because I got the deal of a multi dvr, witch allows me to record on the one dvr I have from them and watch it on any tv.

As far as service I have not had a problem. The phone works like a phone, the internet is fast, and the tv is clear and has a couple more hd stations than comcast.

In the end the only reason I switched is because they gave me a better deal than comcast. If comcast came to me with a better deal and paid for my cancelation I would go back to comcast. It is all about the best price.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:13:37 PM »

I've had FiOS Internet just over a year now and it absolutely ROCKS!

About a month ago the router died and they overnighted me another one at no cost to me.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »

Quote from: crumsteel on September 17, 2008, 11:44:27 PM

The only problem is that I have to use there router, it is ok because they give me access to it to open ports but I have not been able to get port 80 to work - I guess they don't want you running a web server.

I'm  not going to tell you how I know this, but I know for a fact that they block incoming port 80.  The reason actually isn't to block web servers, but instead was put in place to block viruses that were using port 80.  I've said too much.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »

Wiki knows it, too.

Port blocking
Although the official Terms of Service (TOS) does not specify any exact blocked ports, the language does suggest that at a minimum incoming port 80 and outgoing port 25 may in fact be blocked. At one time, section 3.7.5 stated that "you may not use the Broadband Service to host any type of server whether personal or commercial in nature"; however, later updates to the AUP removed that language and currently (as of 14 May 2008) merely prohibit resale, abuse or use of the service for "high volume purposes." (What constitutes "high volume" is not defined.) Section 11.2 states that Verizon reserves the right to block "selected ports" to provide for email security.

Business FiOS service is available in some areas, with higher upload speeds, static IP addresses and no blocked ports (for the static IP option).

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »

We still don't have Verizon, despite having one of their major call centers in town.  Roll Eyes

I swear my town is the most unfriendly place for IT-oriented people ever. Our salaries suck, our internet sucks, YK SMASH.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 18, 2008, 07:32:33 PM

We still don't have Verizon, despite having one of their major call centers in town.  Roll Eyes

I swear my town is the most unfriendly place for IT-oriented people ever. Our salaries suck, our internet sucks, YK SMASH.

YK could totally move to another town... Tongue
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 01:17:59 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 18, 2008, 05:57:25 PM

Wiki knows it, too.

Port blocking
Although the official Terms of Service (TOS) does not specify any exact blocked ports, the language does suggest that at a minimum incoming port 80 and outgoing port 25 may in fact be blocked. At one time, section 3.7.5 stated that "you may not use the Broadband Service to host any type of server whether personal or commercial in nature"; however, later updates to the AUP removed that language and currently (as of 14 May 2008) merely prohibit resale, abuse or use of the service for "high volume purposes." (What constitutes "high volume" is not defined.) Section 11.2 states that Verizon reserves the right to block "selected ports" to provide for email security.

Business FiOS service is available in some areas, with higher upload speeds, static IP addresses and no blocked ports (for the static IP option).

Ah, but it was speculation.  I know it as fact.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 18, 2008, 05:57:25 PM

Wiki knows it, too.

Port blocking

thanks. that explains the problem. when I called verizon they did not want to tell me why it did not work. I got the answer "not sure the problem, check your setup again"
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:30:49 AM »

I work for Verizon, and can set it up for ANYONE here that has FiOS in their area, just shoot me a PM /sales pitch off.  Honestly you would be helping me out  icon_smile /begging mode off

EDIT: It is amazing, if anyone has questions about it, let me know

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 01:11:15 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on September 21, 2008, 12:30:49 AM

I work for Verizon, and can set it up for ANYONE here that has FiOS in their area, just shoot me a PM /sales pitch off.  Honestly you would be helping me out  icon_smile /begging mode off

I would totally get it - but I can't even see where they are planning to roll it out to.  Any plans for Phoenix, AZ?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 01:20:29 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on September 21, 2008, 12:30:49 AM

If it were available to me I would get it.  However there are no plans to get it out my way for a long time from my understanding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: