http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 09:20:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Venture Brothers....going downhill?  (Read 1667 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:46:45 PM »

Dont get me wrong..I love this show and still get some good laughs out of it. But it just hasn't been the same since season 1. I had been thinking this for a while then today I watched 2 eps from season 1 that my DVR had grabbed and damn if they aren't funny and cool. I wish they could get back on track.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »

I thought season 2 was great.  however, in this third season they seemed to concentrate more on character development and it was a bit more introspective than I like from my venture bros. 

however, the worst venture bros is still 10 times better than most other animation (hell...i'd even say live action) shows on the air.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »

Are you kidding me?  Season 3 was the BEST yet!  Can't wait until season 4!!!!!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »

I think the 3rd Season needed fewer flashbacks.  I would've rather seen an episode or two entirely about the earlier Team Ventures, rather than have bits and pieces of info about them scattered throughout several episodes.   It's definitely still a great show, but there were a few snoozers this season.

In a related note, I thought Metapocalypse was exceptional this year.  The finale was hillarious.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

I actually really liked the flashbacks, even though at times I couldn't remember if the stories were contradicting themselves (I thought there were a bunch of things that happened when Rusty was in college that didn't fit in with last season but I would have to go back and watch the older episodes to be sure). I thought the Quizboy/Phantom Limb origin show was fantastic. The season did have a different feel to it, I will admit, but I fully enjoyed it.

After 3 seasons, the show has managed to stay pretty much on track, as opposed to shows like Brak and Sealab, which once had plots and then turned to nonsense when they seemed to run out of ideas. ATHF, which was never really about anything in the first place, has even slipped into this mode.

And yes, Metalocalypse is genius.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »

I'm not sure if it's the show that had declined as much as the "newness" of the concept has worn off.  That said, I think that the show has changed a bit from the original season. 

The only thing that really bothers me is that they raised some issues this season and didn't bother dealing with them again.  I'm not talking about the child of Brock story, but rather things like the untouched biodome, etc.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »

Brak Show and Sealab had plots?
I thought the plot for Sealab was to find a new and unique way to blow the place up every week.
God I miss that show. Hey, did anyone see the retro night they did a few weeks ago with the
Kafka episode of Home Movies and the Brak show eps with the time machine and Zorak's voice?
They just needed Murphy trapped under the Bebop Cola machine and Stormy electrocuting Quinn.

BTW, I still haven't watched the last 3 eps of season 3 and while I'd been told that someone died
I didn't know who until I saw th'Fool's avatar. D'oh!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »

well, looking at the episode list, I guess sealab devolved pretty quickly.  The early episodes were pretty coherent, like the one with the kid from the make-a-wish foundation and Debbie interviewing people to father her baby, but then you got in to stuff like the Bizarro episode and the one where the captain is playing golf through the station. That stuff was funny at times but often had me shaking me head.

Brak went bad when they changed the Mom's voice. That was really jarring.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 17, 2008, 04:17:58 PM

BTW, I still haven't watched the last 3 eps of season 3 and while I'd been told that someone died

Sorry icon_neutral I thought since it had been a couple of weeks since the finale....  I wanted to memorialize my favorite character...

Mike Dunn
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 17, 2008, 05:22:55 PM

well, looking at the episode list, I guess sealab devolved pretty quickly.  The early episodes were pretty coherent, like the one with the kid from the make-a-wish foundation and Debbie interviewing people to father her baby, but then you got in to stuff like the Bizarro episode and the one where the captain is playing golf through the station. That stuff was funny at times but often had me shaking me head.

Brak went bad when they changed the Mom's voice. That was really jarring.

Yeah, i agree.  The first two seasons of Sealab are priceless.  Murph was my hero.  Unfortunately, after the actor who voiced him passed away, they lost their momentum.   icon_cry

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »

I'm kinda backwards here.  I just started watching Venture Brothers for the second half of this last season and quite by mistake and I totally loved it.  The only episdoe that left me hollow was the nuclear fall out shelter episode.  I loved it so much I was all excited about them showing reruns beginning from 2004.  While I still enjoy them, they just don't have the non stop pace and willingness to go completely out there that the end of season 3 did that hooked me.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 09:32:22 PM »

They just needed Murphy trapped under the Bebop Cola machine
And his little scorpion friend smile

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 03:45:22 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 17, 2008, 06:29:48 PM

Sorry icon_neutral I thought since it had been a couple of weeks since the finale....  I wanted to memorialize my favorite character...

I believe the guys that make the show said they killed him mostly because the voice was really hard for the actor to do. Popular opinion seems to be that a very, very similar character will show up next season with a different voice.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 03:46:52 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 18, 2008, 03:45:22 AM

I believe the guys that make the show said they killed him mostly because the voice was really hard for the actor to do. Popular opinion seems to be that a very, very similar character will show up next season with a different voice.

Really?  That's funny considering it's Jackson Publick himself.... (one of the writers/creators)

Mike Dunn
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 03:49:00 AM »

Well maybe he was just saying it was hard for him to do. I'm not crazy fan here. I don't know who does what voices. I didn't even see whatever interview it was (or wasn't, as it were) said in. I heard the story from a friend that's a far bigger fan of the show than I am. It's a fun show. I watch it on DVD. That's about where it stops. I've never actually seen an episode on cartoon network. I work nights, when the show's being aired so I had to catch season 3 on the adult swim website.

I thought you might like to know at some point someone said they might bring back a similar character. Sue me  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:55:48 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 04:05:57 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 18, 2008, 03:49:00 AM

Well maybe he was just saying it was hard for him to do. I'm not crazy fan here. I don't know who does what voices. I didn't even see whatever interview it was (or wasn't, as it were) said in. I heard the story from a friend that's a far bigger fan of the show than I am. It's a fun show. I watch it on DVD. That's about where it stops. I've never actually seen an episode on cartoon network. I work nights, when the show's being aired so I had to catch season 3 on the adult swim website.

I thought you might like to know at some point someone said they might bring back a similar character. Sue me  Roll Eyes

I loved the bit in one episode where they describe him as the guy who sounds like Ray Romano. The perfect solution would be to get Ray Romano to voice a new henchman.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 06:24:15 AM »

I have a really hard time believing that character is dead, regardless of what the creators say.  They are certainly capable of blowing some smoke.

icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »

Not your fault, my own for not getting around to watching it.
I missed those last few eps because my wife and I were watching the Olympics a lot.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 02:47:29 PM »

I think the other guy will go to Dr. Venture and see if he can do anything.  Remember, he believes that his kids are immortal.  There's certainly the opoprtunity for a cloning or Venturestein II.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »

Ive just watched 3 more episodes. I stand by my original post. season 1 is a solid 11 man! The rest were 9s. smile Im laughing out loud for real at these eps.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 08:19:02 PM »

"Did you ever make your GI Joe hump Rainbow Brite? He's totally what their kid would've looked like..."

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 08:20:25 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 27, 2008, 04:26:19 PM

Ive just watched 3 more episodes. I stand by my original post. season 1 is a solid 11 man! The rest were 9s. smile Im laughing out loud for real at these eps.

wait, wait- you're judging the whole season based on 5 episodes?  Good God, man!  You haven't gotten to the meat of the season!  Wake me up when you've seen the whole thing, you heathen!

Mike Dunn
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »

No Ive seen all seasons. im re watching season 1.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: