http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vancouver, BC Travel advice needed  (Read 1593 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2004, 04:21:27 AM »

Alright gang, my Fair Lady and I are heading to Canada in January for our honeymoon and we need some traveling tips. We'll be in Whistler for the most part, but then we'll be in Vancouver from Janu. 13-Jan.16. We're looking for a hotel near the pretty happening social life, and not a hotel located in a place where everything shuts down at 8 p.m. Affordable would also be nice. smile Also, any suggested attractions that are genuinely worth seeing in Vancouver would be appreciated. So, all thoughts and comments are welcome regarding this. Thanks!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:41:00 AM »

Well hey, I think I can help you out. Vancouver is about fifty miles from here. smile

Our last visit there we stayed at Sutton Place (prices start at about $150 U.S.) and it was great and right in the middle of downtown. Everything is within walking distance, like Gastown, Space Needle, Chinatown, museums, shops, nightlife, etc. Make sure you also jump on a shuttle or take the bus and spend a day at Stanley Park and the Vancouver Aquarium. Take your wife to Death By Chocolate too (which happens to be right across the street from the hotel).

If you have time maybe see about catching the ferry from Tsawwassen  to Victoria and spending the day there.

Let me know if you have any other questions! If you want I'm sure we could crash your honeymoon and come and say hi. slywink
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 02:19:02 PM »

Awesome Whiteboy!  My fiance and I are going to Canada for our honeymoon as well.  Our wedding is going to be April 2, so we'll be there the week after that.  

We're going to Prince Edward Island, so I'm sure we'll probably be flying into Vancouver (right Simon?).  We may stay a few nights there as well.  Can't wait!

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 05:07:09 PM »

Thanks for your help Simon. My Fair Lady just called me drooling at the thought of Death By Chocolate. If I come back now with my bags and a huge coffin, it's your fault. That's all I'm sayin'. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 05:16:55 PM »

"We're going to Prince Edward Island, so I'm sure we'll probably be flying into Vancouver (right Simon?). "

Um . . . Vancouver and P.E.I. are about as far away as two things can get in Canada. =)

My folks have a summer house on the island and I've spent lots of time there.  Charlottetown is great and there are some amazing beaches.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:41 PM »

Quote from: "Hamlet3145"
"We're going to Prince Edward Island, so I'm sure we'll probably be flying into Vancouver (right Simon?). "

Um . . . Vancouver and P.E.I. are about as far away as two things can get in Canada. =)

My folks have a summer house on the island and I've spent lots of time there.  Charlottetown is great and there are some amazing beaches.

LOL

Oops. smile  I was misinformed and didn't even think to check for myself.  Thanks for the heads up.  

What city do you think we'll fly into.  

We're looking for a great B&B on PEI, so if you know of any let me know.

We've been searching this site:

http://www.bbcanada.com/

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 09:52:35 PM »

You absolutely have to visit Victoria, esspecially the Butchart Gardens. It may be too cold though, but Victoria is an absolute MUST.

I also recommend that you visit Chinatown or Richmond, that will have some of the greatest chinese food in this hemisphere.

Just Hiro will do.
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 02:40:07 AM »

wbs:  Death by Chocolate is a must.  I go there everytime Im in Vancouver.

You might be all 'mountained-out' by the time you get back from Whisterl(you lucky dog), but Grouse Mtn. is pretty cool.  It's pretty much smack dab in the middle of Vancouver, and you can get some pretty cool views of the country/city from there.

And hit all the spots Simon mentioned...they're all great.

Have fun!

I had one...
deucalion
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 05:17:07 AM »

I highly recommend the Sylvia hotel - if you can get a reservation.  It is on English Bay and very close to Stanley Park but the downtown area is not far away either.  My family had a great stay there.

Check it out - www.sylviahotel.com -  smile
Frog's Honey
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 07:08:35 PM »

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for all the responses!! smile  I can't wait for Death by Chocolate, Grouse Mountain, Victoria (I was there when I was a little girl, but I don't really remember it that much) and all the other exciting things we are going to do.  

The Sylvia Hotel looks wonderful and we have also been checking out B&Bs, so just wanted to thank Console Gold for coming through - and if you have any other suggestions, keep'm comin'!!

biggrin

I Love The Law!  smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 07:49:16 PM »

What day are you all getting Married, Me and the Future Mrs. are getting married on the 8th of january and were planning on going to NYC, staying at a really uppity hotel and hitting the museums and a play and whatever catches our interest, but we're still searching out for something, I figure I've got about 2 weeks to lock something in.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Frog's Honey
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »

Congrats Tebunker- we got married on August 28th, but because I was already in my second year of law school, we had to postpone the honeymoon until January.  

Good Luck on everything!  Marriage is wonderful!! smile

I Love The Law!  smile
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 08:36:27 PM »

The only problem about visiting Victoria is that it doesn't really bode well for a day trip, unless you leave REALLY early and come back REALLY late.  The ferry to Vancouver Island takes quite a while, plus there's the additional drive to the city itself.  You could always fly, but that's really expensive.

Victoria is great, though.  I spent a week there a few summers ago.  And if you have time, I highly recommend doing one of the whale watching tours.  That was a blast.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 09:08:00 PM »

I remember taking a trip to Victoria and Vancouver when I was about 10 years old.  I only remember bits and pieces, but maybe one of you guys can help me out.  We went to some sort of museum (in Victoria, I think) that was entirely dedicated to miniatures.  They had these incredible miniatures of famous buildings, complete recreations of major battles in miniature, and all kinds of amazing stuff on a small scale.  I remember it being one of the coolest things I'd ever seen and have always wanted to go back and see it again.  Anyone know what the name of the place was?

I also vaguely remember Buchart Gardens, which were boredom incarnate for a 10 year old.  I'd love to go back now that I would appreciate it more.  Hmmm, maybe Mrs. Gratch and I need to head that way next summer...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 11:09:32 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
The only problem about visiting Victoria is that it doesn't really bode well for a day trip, unless you leave REALLY early and come back REALLY late.  The ferry to Vancouver Island takes quite a while, plus there's the additional drive to the city itself.  You could always fly, but that's really expensive.

We actually just did a day trip there about two and a half weeks ago with Naednek when he was visiting. It did make for a long day but we were able to do it and that was even with a two year old. We got the 9am ferry over and the 7pm ferry back, and the ride takes about 90 minutes. We ended up with about six hours in town which was enough to walk around, eat, and visit with Greg's Angel, DoubleG, and their daughter.

Quote from: "Gratch"
I remember taking a trip to Victoria and Vancouver when I was about 10 years old.  I only remember bits and pieces, but maybe one of you guys can help me out.  We went to some sort of museum (in Victoria, I think) that was entirely dedicated to miniatures.

Miniature World! We took Ethan there on another visit back in July and he loved it. It's a really old fashioned attraction now but still very cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: