http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 09:37:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Van Hamstrung is more like it  (Read 2836 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 02:34:55 PM »

Sweet merciful crap does this movie blow. Rented Van Helsing last night, and the wife and I are only half-way through it, but I started to tune out almost immediately. I really liked the sense of place and the "hunter vs. hunted" mentality of the opening in Paris, but then it cuts to the distance and you see a light racing up the side of a cathedral. Okay, someone's gone slap-happy with the CG while guzzling Red Bull.

Then I see Mr. Hyde, and just start snickering. It gets to full-blown "alright, there's nothing here at all" with the absolute dumbest looking werewolf design and chase I've ever seen. I'm going to wait until I've seen the whole thing before I post more impressions, but I'm past the "scores of mini-vamps that look like gargoyles" attack the town and that's where we stopped.

Also, this Dracula belongs in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 02:42:22 PM »

It only goes downhill.  By the end it is so bad you are just praying it will end.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 02:42:25 PM »

I think it's generally agreed upon by most that this movie was a disaster.   Not on "heaven's gate" level, but a disaster nonetheless.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 03:50:09 PM »

Needed more corsetted Kate Bekinsale...
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 04:00:41 PM »

Hmmm, i've been wanting to rent this lately.

Guess now I won't  :wink:

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 04:03:11 PM »

I keep seeing the DVD commercial, and it makes me want to check out the movie.  I should have learned my lesson with (most recently) Hellboy that just because the trailer is neat, doesn't mean the movie won't blow.

Guess I'll steer clear of it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 04:32:31 PM »

It was just too intense as well.  Very little story and all action.  Now I'm a manly-man and like my blow 'em ups, but this one wore me out.  Very cool effects, but it needed some moderation.  I did like the Frankenstein's monster design though.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 04:40:05 PM »

The moment I heard 'VanHelsing' from the director of 'The Mummy' and 'The Mummy Returns' I knew to stay away from the movie. Stephen Sommers is a damn hack. He and Michael Bay shouldn't be allowed to make movies again.  :x
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 04:47:46 PM »

Yes it's bad. Yes, the director ius a hack...BUT...

I watched this last night for the first time also and if you drink enough beer and watch it with friends MST3K style then you can have a pretty enjoyable experience smile

Funniest thing on the DVD is the blooper reel-you can completely tell that all of the actors are quite aware of just how bad the movie is.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 04:48:06 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I keep seeing the DVD commercial, and it makes me want to check out the movie.  I should have learned my lesson with (most recently) Hellboy that just because the trailer is neat, doesn't mean the movie won't blow.

Guess I'll steer clear of it.

I disagree with your assessment of Hellboy.  It falls right in the middle of Cheese and Good.  I enjoyed it, but I also had no expectations on the movie either.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 04:56:55 PM »

I keep seeing the DVD commercial, and it makes me want to check out the movie. I should have learned my lesson with (most recently) Hellboy that just because the trailer is neat, doesn't mean the movie won't blow.

Hellboy was pretty damn good, IMO.. and even if it wasn't generally considered great, I'll betcha is a masterpiece when compared to VanHelsing.  Cool
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 05:04:11 PM »

I'm going to watch it this weekend - Couldn't possibly be worse than The Day After Tomorrow.

DAT took 'The worst movie ever made' title from 8MM!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 05:20:24 PM »

There were occasional good parts (the Frankenstein monster was a neat adaptation, and I liked the guy who played Igor when he was Benny in the Mummy), but the movie had absolutely no personality. For a guy who hunts vampires and other monsters, Van Helsing was a pretty boring guy.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 05:24:45 PM »

I am Jack's complete lack of interest.

I hated this movie in theatres. I have no need to ever see it again.

Worst movie of the year, no question.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 05:37:02 PM »

Hellboy is definitely better and even somewhat re-watchable for me.  The good guys were great, but the bad monsters were not very well done.  He fought the same monster 3 or 4 times.  And the last one was really disappointing both in design and the fight sequence.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 06:10:08 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I'm going to watch it this weekend - Couldn't possibly be worse than The Day After Tomorrow.

Bold statement, my friend.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 06:37:03 PM »

Rage liked Van Helsing. Rage liked it a lot!! You guys just need a greater appreciation of popcorn movies!
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 06:50:12 PM »

but but but... Van Helsing had Faramir in it.  That can't be all bad.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 07:02:38 PM »

Quote from: "Dramatist"
but but but... Van Helsing had Faramir in it.  That can't be all bad.

Caligula had Malcolm McDowell and Peter O'Toole in it. You can have all the professional dramatists you want in a pile of crap, and it won't make the smell any easier to take. smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 07:12:36 PM »

wbs - I'm telling you. Awful! Where else could you see a person run away from 'cold' by giving it a head fake and taking a left while 'cold' went right?

VH couldn't possibly be worse than TDAT, but I'm almost giddy at the thought that it might be.

I think someone should start a thread about The Day After Tomorrow if there isn't already one out there.

It was THE WORST.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 09:42:12 PM »

wbs - I'm telling you. Awful! Where else could you see a person run away from 'cold' by giving it a head fake and taking a left while 'cold' went right?

VH couldn't possibly be worse than TDAT, but I'm almost giddy at the thought that it might be.

I think someone should start a thread about The Day After Tomorrow if there isn't already one out there.

It was THE WORST.

I was listening to the radio for a long time this morning on the way into work (thanks rain!) and they were talking about the movie and they played clips of the dialog.  It was so, so bad that now I must rent this! :lol:
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 11:25:46 PM »

I have to say I liked 8mm.  Which should be apparent from my sig.  smile It was hard to take at times but had a fairly powerful message.  

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 11:47:58 PM »

Rhino - Typical Schumaker preachy BS filmed in cloudy skies with horrible 'action' and Cage over-acting. I couldn't handle it. :cry:

Biyobi - The dialog in DAT was, by far, the least offensive part of the movie. You're in for a treat. Paint by numbers story arc, HORRIBLE plot, needless characters (you could write them out and it wouldn't notice), etc. etc. A train wreck in the purest sense of the words. I can't wait until you see it!!  :lol:

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 12:45:10 AM »

I guess I should be ashamed that I own TDAT then?

I'm a special effects junkie, so I can enjoy movies like TDAT on a purely visual level.  smile

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 02:53:10 AM »

Quote from: "Rhinohelix"

I have to say I liked 8mm.  Which should be apparent from my sig.  smile It was hard to take at times but had a fairly powerful message.  

Rhino

Unless that message was "Bend over, here comes a big train of Fuck You I raped Batman and you'll like this too," then you and I saw different movies.

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 03:38:44 AM »

Unless that message was "Bend over, here comes a big train of Fuck You I raped Batman and you'll like this too," then you and I saw different movies.
 He did f*ck Batman AND Clooney, who I thought was the best Batman in the worst movie.  What I took from the movie was the thin line many of us tread between good and evil, the effect of evil on good men.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: