http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:32:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uwe Boll may be finished making big-budget disasters!  (Read 1119 times)
Orgull
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:09:14 AM »

Uwe Boll Has Directed His Final Big Budget Flop

The most important part of the brief article is...
Boll has been able to continue securing funding for his films through German tax shelter funds. Those funds have been outlawed, however, which places Boll in the unenviable position of trying to finance his new films based on the performance of his old ones.

His response?
"In the future, I will focus on small films such as (the video game adaptation) 'Postal' or (the Vietnam war drama) 'Tunnel Rats.' These are films that represent my true passion, and they can be done with small budgets."

But wait... it gets better. Uwe Boll has responded to the online petition for his retirement. His response may (inadvertently) be one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

Article with video

Here's a tidbit from Boll's repsonse...
"I want...a pro-Boll petition and I expect a million votes pro-Boll. Because look -- I'm not a f***ing retard like Michael Bay or other people running around in the business. Or Eli Roth, making the same sh**ty movies over and over again. If you really look at my movies you will see my real genius."]"I want...a pro-Boll petition and I expect a million votes pro-Boll. Because look -- I'm not a f***ing retard like Michael Bay or other people running around in the business. Or Eli Roth, making the same sh**ty movies over and over again. If you really look at my movies you will see my real genius."

Wow.

P.S. I seriously considered renting and watching Alone in the Dark this past week while I was off but I couldn't force myself to touch the case never mind take it off the shelf. Someday though...

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:24:04 AM »

He was genius enough to have 100% success rate in making shitty movies without accidentally making one good movie.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:28:58 AM »

That's a shame, I got a lot of respect for Uwe. Have traded plenty of emails with him over the years, and he's always interested in fan feedback.

Not all of his movies were great, but Dungeon Siege was one hell of a movie!
Honestly it seems like most Boll bashers haven't even seen his movies.. if you haven't seen In the name of the King yet, add it to your blockbuster or netflix queue and give it a try. It's not "Troy", but it's pretty damn decent.

The way I look at it is that half of the movies he's put out are based on games.. games that otherwise would have never seen the light of day for a movie. So what has anyone lost? Nobody else was going to do an Alone in the dark movie (which was also pretty good) or a Bloodrayne movie.. but Uwe stepped in and did what nobody else would.

If a pro-boll petition does get started, I'd definitely sign it.

(And NO, I'm not joking about any of the above. I really do respect the dude.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 05:34:12 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 06, 2008, 05:28:58 AM

(And NO, I'm not joking about any of the above. I really do respect the dude.)

Don't get me wrong, I respect the man too. I just find this all terribly amusing.

I don't like his work and I don't like his public comments. But I respect him, for one reason.

He actually makes movies. There are plenty of people who love to tear movies apart but very few who follow through and can actually make them. Think about it. Good or bad, Uwe Boll is doing what he wants to do. He's making movies. That's more than I can say for many people.

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:42:18 AM »

I think we gamers hate Boll because he choose to make shitty movies based on games. Every single movie that Boll make will kill the future prospect of those game being made into good movies. But the blame is probably those game IP owners decide to cash in on some extra money from licensing.

The other reason is that Boll has no respect to the games that he made into movies. He or his scriptwriter always think they can do better and end up ruining it. Or maybe that was intentional because they probably make more money if the movie flop because of the tax shelter fund thing. If you make a movie based on a game, your main target audience is those gamers that play that game. Which mean you need to stay true to how the game portray the characters and the background.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:06:45 AM »

The way I look at it is that half of the movies he's put out are based on games.. games that otherwise would have never seen the light of day for a movie. So what has anyone lost? Nobody else was going to do an Alone in the dark movie (which was also pretty good) or a Bloodrayne movie.. but Uwe stepped in and did what nobody else would.

I am an Uwe basher, and proud of it. and, Alone in the Dark a decent movie?? It was a piece of garbage, boring, pretentious and with so many plotholes, missing stuff and idiocy it was a pain to watch. And hey, dont just take my word for it, check out its IMDB score...

while he does make movies, that alone doesnt make me "respect" him in any way, since the movies are horrible in my opinion. All it seems that he's doing, is using the tax shelter money, to ruin game franchised movies - is that worthy of respect?

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:12:38 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on August 06, 2008, 05:42:18 AM

The other reason is that Boll has no respect to the games that he made into movies. He or his scriptwriter always think they can do better and end up ruining it. Or maybe that was intentional because they probably make more money if the movie flop because of the tax shelter fund thing. If you make a movie based on a game, your main target audience is those gamers that play that game. Which mean you need to stay true to how the game portray the characters and the background.

Very well said and I completely agree with you here; especially what I've underlined. Anyone who makes a Resident Evil movie in which only 3 minutes is set in the mansion meets the definition of pure anti-genius in my books. I'm glad that there's some folks here who appreciate his work, but his complete lack of respect for the original subject matter, at least in everyone of his movies that I suffered to watch, is nothing short of shameful.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:17:40 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 06, 2008, 06:12:38 AM

Anyone who makes a Resident Evil movie in which only 3 minutes is set in the mansion meets the definition of pure anti-genius in my books.

Uwe Boll never made a Resident Evil movie. Here's his IMDB credits Were you thinking of another movie?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 06:56:50 AM »

Quote from: Orgull on August 06, 2008, 06:17:40 AM

Quote from: kronovan on August 06, 2008, 06:12:38 AM

Anyone who makes a Resident Evil movie in which only 3 minutes is set in the mansion meets the definition of pure anti-genius in my books.

Uwe Boll never made a Resident Evil movie. Here's his IMDB credits Were you thinking of another movie?

Nope, I just momentarily confused him with Paul WS Anderson, the other mutilator extraordinaire of game IP's. Although...now that I think about it, it's possible House of the Dead was in the back of my mind as I recently suffered the torture of viewing it at a friends.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on August 06, 2008, 05:42:18 AM

I think we gamers hate Boll because he choose to make shitty movies based on games. Every single movie that Boll make will kill the future prospect of those game being made into good movies. But the blame is probably those game IP owners decide to cash in on some extra money from licensing.

Yep, that's the biggest problem.  If the dude just made shitty movies that weren't attached to a game IP, none of us would even know who he is.  The fact that he continually chooses to shit all over the source material from our hobby of choice means he's going to draw more ire than most.  I've personally never even seen one of his films, which - based on his reviews - is probably not a bad thing.

It did always amaze me how he managed to get such well-respected actors in his films.  You'd think they'd take a closer look before signing up with a guy that has made bomb after bomb.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:55:09 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »

Not all of his movies were great, but Dungeon Siege was one hell of a movie!
Honestly it seems like most Boll bashers haven't even seen his movies.. if you haven't seen In the name of the King yet, add it to your blockbuster or netflix queue and give it a try. It's not "Troy", but it's pretty damn decent.
Troy was a shitty movie, so if In The Name of the King isn't as good as Troy, that's a bad thing. A very bad thing.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 06, 2008, 12:38:35 PM

Troy was a shitty movie, so if In The Name of the King isn't as good as Troy, that's a bad thing. A very bad thing.

Umm... when did 55% become the definition of "shitty"? Over half the people who reviewed it thought it was at least decent and that somehow translates into "shitty"? It's not universal acclaim, certainly, but when the (admittedly slight) majority enjoy a movie, I think it's at least a little better than "shitty".

- Ash
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »

I've always said that the Dungeon Siege movie could have been good with a bigger budget...

and a different script.....

and a diffecent cast.... except for Clair Forlani who made a dirty farmers wife look hot....

and a different director

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:19:13 PM »

I'm actually currently undergoing an intensive drug treatment program designed to help me block out memories of Tara Reid trying to pronounce "Newfoundland" in "Alone in the Dark" and Burt Reynolds as a good ol' boy King in "Dungeon Siege: In the Name of God, WHY!?".  Hopefully, God willing, I'll be a whole man once again...someday.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:30:37 PM »

i had more enjoyment from watching lowtax pick a fight with him than i ever got from watching his movies. 

and paul  ws anderson is second in the 'crap directors wrecking good game IP's' list, of which very few good names have been added.  not because the RE movies were as bad as anything uwe shat out, but because of what he did with the plot lines. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of anderson, but i did enjoy Event Horizon.  i literally cannot think of one uwe film i enjoyed in even the smallest measure.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: