http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:28:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US to Canada move, maybe?  (Read 2816 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »

Ok after being to Canada twice now on 1-week fishing vacations, the idea of maybe moving to Canada to live is becoming closer to reality.

I know some of you here are Canadians, so i'm asking you to give me your opinions on the idea of a move like this. Is work really better there? What really is the cost of living? Do Canadians treat Americans who move there with disdain, generally? How important is it to learn to speak French? etc etc.

Last summer I vacationed north of Barrie, at the West Arm of Lake Nippissing. This summer I was at Bear Lake, close to Espanola and just south of Sudbury. So i am familiar with at least some of the traffic in and around Toronto/Barrie/Sudbury.

I would prefer to stay on the outskirts of any one of these, but work there if need be.

So...is Canada ready for Zekester? LOL

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »

Oh, and disregard my avatar......I really hate guns in general  paranoid

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on September 01, 2010, 04:44:34 PM

Ok, after being to Canada, eh twice now on 1-week fishing vacations, the idea of maybe moving to Canada, eh to live is becoming closer to reality.

I know some of you here are Canadians, eh, so i'm asking you to give me your opinions on the idea of a move like this. Is work really better there, eh? What really is the cost of living, eh? Do Canadians treat Americans who move there with disdain, generally, eh? How important is it to learn to speak French, eh? etc etc.

Last summer I vacationed north of Barrie, eh, at the West Arm of Lake Nippissing. This summer I was at Bear Lake, eh, close to Espanola and just south of Sudbury. So i am familiar with at least some of the traffic in and around Toronto/Barrie/Sudbury, eh.

I would prefer to stay on the outskirts of any one of these, but work there if need be, eh.

So...is Canada ready for Zekester, eh? LOL

FTFY

You might as well start practicing your Canadian now, eh.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »

it's all aboot the eh.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »

I can do 'eh'

nod

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »

I live one hour north of Barrie on the shores of Georgian Bay in a town called Parry Sound.
No better place on earth, but it is "small town" Ontario which has good and bad points.

You don't really need to know French in anyplace except Quebec.  I went to University in Sudbury which has a large french population, and I didn't use it once.

As far as welcoming Americans, you won't find much friendlier people than Canadians. IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:50:07 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »

Actually, it's a good idea to know French if you ever plan on living in New Brunswick -only official bilingual province in Canada- but it and Quebec are about the only places you'll hear French spoken other than the capitol and Immersion schools. In many parts of Canada you'll hear 100 non-English conversations, before you hear a word spoken in French.

It depends on the profession, but in general salaries are higher in the US and the cost of living can be higher here depending on which part of Canada it is. Can't advise you about living in the GTA, because I live in the tropics - Vancouver. slywink It's an awesome country though and I personally don't know many US ex-patriots who regretted their decision - including my own family.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »

Live North of Toronto on the shore of Georgian Bay. My town's claim to fame is that its the largest fresh water beach in the World. Wasaga-Beach. Wasaga is a 10 minute drive to Collingwood. Which has lots of ski resorts and what not. Its really a 4 season's area.

I see "yanks" up here all the time. Every now and then I'll give a little honk on my horn and wave..(when I see the liscence plate)

We're a pretty solid bunch of folks. Tolerant of most. Toronto is one of the largest multi-cultural cities in the World.
Honestly, I can't say anything bad about my country.

Jump in the water is fine...  Tongue

Oh, and I hardly ever hear anyone saying "A"

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »

Toronto is very expensive in terms of purchasing a house/condo. Most of my friends have moved to GTA suburbs or farther for that reason. I rent. My sister lives in Barrie. Just about any place outside Toronto is cheaper than in it.  icon_wink I have friends who moved out west and love it in BC, Vancouver in particular.

You really don't need French outside Quebec unless you plan to seek employment in a job that requires bilingual ability. In Toronto you are more likely to run into people speaking Cantonese, Portuguese, Filipino, Punjabi or Spanish than French.

Be warned, the recent economic downturn hit here rather hard. Plenty of people looking for work in the GTA.

Oh yeah, it gets cold(er) in winter up here.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »

Is it as simple as just moving, though?  Last I heard there were some barriers to entry along the lines of needing a job first or some other stuff.  At least that's what I gathered from reading a blog from someone who married a Canadian and moved north a few years ago.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »

yeah, you need a) employee sponsorship, b) some sort of marriage proposal, c) asylum from a brutal dictatorship or d) sufficiently high or in-demand job abilities/skills. don't expect to be let in the country otherwise.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 08:23:44 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on September 01, 2010, 08:14:29 PM

c) asylum from a brutal dictatorship

Anyone else see this heading for R&P? slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »

Dang Arclight, now I want to move up there.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 01, 2010, 08:23:49 PM

Dang Arclight, now I want to move up there.

Agreed, tho my wife would never go for it.  I also wouldn't mind a move to England or Germany.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 01, 2010, 08:02:43 PM

Is it as simple as just moving, though?  Last I heard there were some barriers to entry along the lines of needing a job first or some other stuff.

Indeed, there are many obstacles.  One does not simply walk into Canada.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »

Couldn't you just get some republicans to vouch for you on option c?

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »

I live in Sudbury. You'd probably be comfortable living in North Bay, which is about 2-4 hours south of it. And Espanola? That's very close to where I am lol. Did you get used to the paper mill smell??  icon_lol

Also what kind of work are you hoping for? There's a lot of work depending on what you're looking for. I can give you some tips for the area if you'd like. El-Producto's right in saying we have a large French speaking population, with a French college with a medical school connected to it, but you won't need it. We'll just start speaking Zekesterese for you Tongue

If you're into fishing, you're in luck as there's lots of lakes around here, and a lot of it being done in Ramsey Lake in Sudbury, both during the summer and winter, though you'd have to rent a hut during the winter.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:10:44 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 12:06:10 AM »

Well, i'd probably be coming up with two other friends and I think we would be indeed renting. I don't have any "profession", but I can do a lot of different things ok. One of my friends does security here in the States and would probably be looking into that up there as well.

I remember seeing Parry Sound and it's beach, and it is was actually a "selling point" for moving to that area. Of course fishing would be our main pastime.

Ya, I remember the smell of the paper mill lol. And one of the resort workers was telling us that Espanola crime is kinda bad, and there are a lot of drugs in Sudbury......but where isn't there nowadays?  icon_wink

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:34:56 AM »

I've never noticed the drugs here, perhaps because I'm oblivious to them or that I don't live downtown where it could be worse.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on September 02, 2010, 12:06:10 AM

I don't have any "profession", but I can do a lot of different things ok.

I believe in order to get a work visa you have to have a sponsor job already waiting for you, and frequently a college degree to go along with it.

Not to be rude, but for what purpose are you looking to move?  Do you just think Canada is a cool place to go fishing?  Is there not a comparable place in the US that you could move to?

My sister and her husband moved to Canada for a few years when his work had contracts up there (near Toronto and Montreal), and they were not overly positive on the experience, the cost of living, etc.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 03:06:07 AM »

Not rude at all, Engine....I welcome all opinions/advice

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 03:36:22 AM »

Reading up on things you have to live in Canada for 3 full years to be able to apply for citizenship. Which you will need at some point to continue to live there I assume.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 05:03:05 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on September 02, 2010, 03:36:22 AM

Reading up on things you have to live in Canada for 3 full years to be able to apply for citizenship. Which you will need at some point to continue to live there I assume.

Nah, there are plenty of places to cross.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 08:10:53 AM »

It does seem like if your goal is to just find an area where things are more relaxed and you can spend your time fishing that you could do that without leaving the US.  Wisconsin, Minnesota, and northern Michigan aren't going to be that much different then the areas you are talking about, at least from what I can tell.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »

Ya Northern Michigan is being considered, too.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »

Yeah we have a few lakes here in northern Michigan smile.

(I live just a bit outside the NE corner)
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 02, 2010, 01:53:29 PM

Yeah we have a few lakes here in northern Michigan smile.

(I live just a bit outside the NE corner)

The Great Lakes FTW! eh?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »

Still contemplating a Canada move, but in the meantime I will be in Espanola Ontario on Friday June 10th.

I will have an autograph session for approx 30 minutes, so come join in on the festivities

icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »

I think Canadian politics would make you crazy.  Most of the country is far more liberal and 'politically correct' than the US.  And yes, while we have some of the best countryside in the world for fishing, hunting and that sort of thing, it comes with 7 months of cold winter, so if you're used to the southern climate you might not like it.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »

Why do you hate America, Zeke?   Tongue

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 03:30:57 AM »

I'm also seriously contemplating a move to Canada, for many reasons.

However, I am aware that it is very difficult to get in. In my case, it'll likely take 5 years, at the least, to build my case.

With their protectionist tendencies (it's not a bad thing), it won't happen quickly at all. You can't just up and decide to move there.

The two most important things you will have to (as I will have to) do is a) get job experience and become a skilled worker, and b) amass enough money to decisively prove that you will be able to support yourself in Canada, even without a job, for three years at the very least. They absolutely do not want people to move there only to end up on their welfare program.

From what I've learned, the easiest way to get into Canada are: a) marry someone there or c) be a skilled worker on their list of "in-demand" professions.

If neither are options for you, you have a long road ahead. Judging from your previous posts, I don't have much faith that you'll reach your "goal," but good luck to you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:34:42 AM by ravenvii » Logged
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »

I live not far from Barrie..Wasaga Beach...World's largest fresh water beach(Georgian Bay, Lake Huron)

We're about 90 minutes from Toronto as well.

From my perspective the economy around us is doing fine. Wasaga Beach of course is a Summer town, but bein close to Collingwood you have the skiing in the Winter.
Jobs are out there, skilled workers are needed most of the time.

I love American's, as do most of the people I associate with. My first son was born in Tyler, Texas, so we have another reason to love the States.

I think Canada is a great place to live, grow a family, and have a blast doing it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »

What line of work are you in?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 07, 2011, 04:11:56 PM

Part time bus driver as of 2005 and 2008.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 07, 2011, 04:17:30 PM

Part time bus driver as of 2005 and 2008.

That will look good on an IMM 5620

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »

So?  I've nothing but "Professional Lover" on my resume since 1985 and it hasn't stopped the gravy train from runnin' through MY backyard.  Canada (and most countries, to be fair) routinely emails me with offers...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »

Fair warning: That ain't gravy running back there...

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 07, 2011, 01:37:43 PM

I love American's, as do most of the people I associate with...

You love which American's what?  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »

He's a secret agent man.

Because I can,
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »

Ya still driving a bus, but that also includes having a class B license. Surely there are drivers needed in Canada  icon_wink

But no, I don't have a "profession" per se.....but i've done about a dozen different type of jobs over the years including roofing, concrete work, landscaping, cabinet making, and hand-made assembly of motion control products like motors and stages at Aerotech.

So i'm not completely useless  icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: