http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 07:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated 32 dead at Virginia tech shooting  (Read 5463 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2007, 04:53:20 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

I don't know what the hell to say. I can only pray for their families. Being only a couple hours from Tech in a town that is heavily populated by alumni I know this will have an impact on my home town.

I am in shock, I almost couldn't drive home. I am 5 years removed from College, but still know a lot of college aged people, and my brother has a lot of friends at Tech.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:33:10 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:03:03 PM »

Yeah, my brother is a student there (he is fine) but one of the shooters is still at large, so that has be a bit concerned still. He cant leave and the campus is basically locked down he told me, so until they find the killer, I am a bit anxious.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »

Horrible.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:20:46 PM »

This is an incredible tragedy. I wonder if the shooter was a student, and regardless of that why he felt the need to shoot up a classroom. Scum of the earth.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 05:24:37 PM »

Here's the OO thread about the event, where Yankeeman is giving some first hand accounts from the campus.

Has there been any report yet on the possible motive?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »

I wonder if video games were involved.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 05:46:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 16, 2007, 05:34:11 PM

I wonder if video games were involved.

No, but they'll be blamed anyways.

This is all just terrible.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 05:54:44 PM »

Reports are that 32 are dead.

My God.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »

I'm also in Blacksburg and the reports keep getting worse and worse.  No news yet and only 22 confirmed fatalities but some news services are saying 30+.  They think it was only one shooter but aren't sure.  No idea how many wounded except that it's 28+ from a combination of panic, jumping out of windows and the shooter.  The town is locked down, all town services shut down, the bus shutdown and schools are locked down.  Daycares are closing and people are going home and locking doors.  Three hospitals are in emergency mode right now.  I've already had to pick up my little girl and no idea when my son (in middle school) will get home since I don't know when the lockdown will end.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 06:07:05 PM »

WTF?
From the AP:
A White House spokesman said
President Bush was horrified by the rampage and offered his prayers to the victims and the people of Virginia.

"The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said

What's wrong with "OMG this fucking sucks!"

PSN ID: EduardoX
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »

Keep going Eduardo, it gets better.

The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," Perino said, noting that Bush and Education Secretary Margaret Spellings held a conference on school gun violence last October. "Certainly, bringing a gun into a school domitory and shooting ... is against the law and something someone should be held accountable for," Perino said.

Well NO SHIT!!!!!!!!!  Roll Eyes How the hell do you hold someone accountable when its obvious they don't care about dying from police retaliation or taking their own life.

As an aside, and not to politicize this, I would hope that this wouldn't get the gun control crowd going again. VT is a "gun free zone" there were laws in place to "protect" students there from gun violence, and obviously it didn't work. That just proves how more laws aren't the answer and how disturbed people can and will commit crimes, regardless of what laws are in place.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:18:56 PM by jblank » Logged

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:57:16 PM by dbt1949 » Logged

Ye Olde Farte
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 06:17:39 PM »

What a terrible thing to happen... icon_frown

Not that there's any bright side to this, but at least the gunman is out of the gene pool - what a disgusting person.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 06:18:15 PM »

What a tragedy.  icon_cry

Last year, this happened in the Virginia legislature:

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Taken from here: http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 16, 2007, 06:14:13 PM

The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," Perino said, noting that Bush and Education Secretary Margaret Spellings held a conference on school gun violence last October. "Certainly, bringing a gun into a school domitory and shooting ... is against the law and something someone should be held accountable for," Perino said.

Well NO SHIT!!!!!!!!!  Roll Eyes How the hell do you hold someone accountable when its obvious they don't care about dying from police retaliation or taking their own life.

As an aside, and not to politicize this, I would hope that this wouldn't get the gun control crowd going again. VT is a "gun free zone" there were laws in place to "protect" students there from gun violence, and obviously it didn't work. That just proves how more laws aren't the answer and how disturbed people can and will commit crimes, regardless of what laws are in place.
WTF? Why even bring that up?

PSN ID: EduardoX
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 06:22:56 PM »

Agreed. That just seems completely out of place for Bush and his spokesperson to say, at that time.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 06:23:38 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 16, 2007, 06:14:13 PM

Let's not go all Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton on this.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 06:24:38 PM »

Wow!   You guys inserted politics into this thread faster than another forum I know.....  

Terrible day, and the wrong time to be already ridiculing  Bush, guns, or games --  or those that would blame games.     Time for mourning and getting the facts straight first.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 06:24:44 PM »

icon_confused

Come again Graham?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 16, 2007, 06:24:38 PM

Wow!   You guys inserted politics into this thread faster than another forum I know.....  

Terrible day, and the wrong time to be already ridiculing  Bush, guns, or games --  or those that would blame games.     Time for mourning and getting the facts straight first.

Yeah, I agree. The only reason I said anything was because of Bush's bizarre comment and to point out that at the same time he is clammoring for laws to punish people that do this sort of thing, those laws actually exist.

Bah, at least my brother is fine, thats what is important to me right now.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 16, 2007, 06:27:07 PM

Quote from: msduncan on April 16, 2007, 06:24:38 PM

Yeah, I agree. The only reason I said anything was because of Bush's bizarre comment and to point out that at the same time he is clammoring for laws to punish people that do this sort of thing, those laws actually exist.

Bah, at least my brother is fine, thats what is important to me right now.

Glad he is too jblank!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 16, 2007, 06:24:44 PM

icon_confused

Come again Graham?

Look at msduncan's post.  We really don't need to turn this into a political thread.  It's not the time nor the place.  Don't insert that BS where we don't need it.  Everyone agrees that this is a tragedy, don't make this a political issue where it's not.

Don't be a Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

No need to get hostile Graham, as I said, the only reason I said anything was because of Bush's comment, which was brought up by another poster.

Jeez, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:38:11 PM by jblank » Logged

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 06:34:51 PM »

Death Toll rising FAST I hear.

What the fuck is wrong with this country?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »

Honestly Kobra, people can't deal with stuff anymore, plain and simple. Little things that were overlooked years ago, now automatically turn into violent acts. As to what has CAUSED that, I don't know, and its been years since I had Psychology in college.

Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 06:38:30 PM »

Yeah. Just watching the news now and the death toll is now 31  icon_frown
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 06:39:43 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 16, 2007, 06:37:39 PM

Honestly Kobra, people can't deal with stuff anymore, plain and simple. Little things that were overlooked years ago, now automatically turn into violent acts. As to what has CAUSED that, I don't know, and its been years since I had Psychology in college.

And I do think to some extent we are desensitized to violence these days.    I mean kids are extremely impressionable.
RodeoRanch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »

Just bloody horrible.  I can't even imagine being at Uni and having something like that go down. icon_frown
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 06:41:21 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 16, 2007, 06:39:43 PM

And I do think to some extent we are desensitized to violence these days.    I mean kids are extremely impressionable.

Yeah, I can agree with those two statements.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »

The EMF/EMR causing anger in people.   slywink

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »

Terrible tragedy.

I had been thinking the past few weeks that we had been long overdue for something awful to happen.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »

I cannot imagine what the community and the families of these victims are going through, and they have my best wishes.

It is an emotional event, and for some, the method to deal with it may be to point fingers where none are fully appropriate and make suggestions that may not be thought through very well.  I'll pardon people's notion that an armed student body could have prevented this tragedy, because it is a genuine human reactionary statement in a heated and tragic moment, and I'll ask that you please forgive me for believing that undergrads with a stereotypical pension for indulgence in alcohol are the last people I want to see exercising their right to bear arms on campus in daily vigilance.  Not my idea of wise. 

Done posting
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »

Quote from: Graham
We really don't need to turn this into a political thread.  It's not the time nor the place.  Don't insert that BS where we don't need it.  Everyone agrees that this is a tragedy, don't make this a political issue where it's not.

I think your plea to avoid turning this into a political issue would be more effective if you weren't simultaneously invoking the names of two high profile political figures.  There are many people guilty of needlessly politicizing issues and no need for you to name *any* of them in this context, yet you cited the same two individuals in two seperate posts.  If you weren't deliberately trying to provoke a comparison between this tragedy and other current events, what was your point?  Why include that last sentence at all?

As far as I can tell, the very first person to politicize this apparent massacre is President Bush who, through his spokesperson, took this opportunity to discuss Second Amendment rights.  Every political comment in this thread stems directly from that statement -- not from anything said by Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton -- so if you're truly troubled by the politicization of this event, perhaps you should redirect your criticism on the source.

-Autistic Angel
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 09:05:15 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 16, 2007, 06:41:21 PM

Quote from: msduncan on April 16, 2007, 06:39:43 PM

Yeah, I can agree with those two statements.

I agree with that, too...  However, there is a large difference between seeing something violent and committing a violent act.  Most people feel that difference as a solid moral boundary between right and wrong.  All I can imagine is that there are more people who lack that sort of moral boundary than we ever thought and that viewing violence in the news, on tv, in games, etc... really affects them in a way that normal people cannot imagine (the vast bulk of us being normal people, in spite of our differences).  With time we will probably learn of the source of the shooter's ire but I don't think that will help us understand why s/he turned that ire into heinous action.

xbox live: nude rick james
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 16, 2007, 08:37:26 PM

Quote from: Graham
We really don't need to turn this into a political thread.  It's not the time nor the place.  Don't insert that BS where we don't need it.  Everyone agrees that this is a tragedy, don't make this a political issue where it's not.

I think your plea to avoid turning this into a political issue would be more effective if you weren't simultaneously invoking the names of two high profile political figures.  There are many people guilty of needlessly politicizing issues and no need for you to name *any* of them in this context, yet you cited the same two individuals in two seperate posts.  If you weren't deliberately trying to provoke a comparison between this tragedy and other current events, what was your point?  Why include that last sentence at all?

As far as I can tell, the very first person to politicize this apparent massacre is President Bush who, through his spokesperson, took this opportunity to discuss Second Amendment rights.  Every political comment in this thread stems directly from that statement -- not from anything said by Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton -- so if you're truly troubled by the politicization of this event, perhaps you should redirect your criticism on the source.

-Autistic Angel

I think the first people to politicize it was whoever posted the quote in the first place complaining about his statement.     This thread had no politics until that started up.   Instead it's the typical Bush bashing crap.    Can we get a thread started about Oblivion and throw some Bush bashing trash in it as well?   Hell, let's start putting Bush bashing stuff in every thread on the board.   That seems like the cool thing to do these days.    Roll Eyes

And what in the heck are you guys going to do when he's gone?    There won't be an evil tyrant to take pot shots at anymore.

Jesus.... I can't even come into a thread about a national tragedy involving a crazed gunman to check on people that might be connected to Virgina Tech without having to read something negative about Bush anymore.    It's really getting bloody old.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 09:45:02 PM »

And what in the heck are you guys going to do when he's gone?    There won't be an evil tyrant to take pot shots at anymore

Celebrate that we're free from an evil tyrant?

Sad news indeed, I'm sure they're gonna look for something to look for something to blame rather than just accept the fact that maybe the guy was fucked up in the head in the first place.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 09:45:28 PM »

Well you helped end THAT little disagreement MsD!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 09:47:48 PM »

You're angry that people are bashing Bush in this thread yet at the same time you aren't angry at his spokesman for making this odd and rude statement?

President Bush was horrified by the rampage and offered his prayers to the victims and the people of Virginia.

"The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said

The nation is in shock and she responds to the tragedy with a callous reaffirmation of the 2nd amendment.  Bush supporter or not, why aren't you jumping all over her (and the man whom she is speaking on behalf of) for being so rude?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 10:33:28 PM »

Well it certainly didn't take Jack Thompson very long..

http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-tech/breaking-idiot-thompson-blames-va-shooting-on-games-252702.php

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 16, 2007, 09:47:48 PM

You're angry that people are bashing Bush in this thread yet at the same time you aren't angry at his spokesman for making this odd and rude statement?

The nation is in shock and she responds to the tragedy with a callous reaffirmation of the 2nd amendment.  Bush supporter or not, why aren't you jumping all over her (and the man whom she is speaking on behalf of) for being so rude?

+1

This is a very tragic event made even more tragic by the comments made by the current administration.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: