http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:26:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update: 2 YEARS!!! since my last cigarette!  (Read 9211 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »

...trying this shit again.  Kicking myself for starting again at all... I had a good two months pretty much exactly a year ago where I didn't smoke more than a puff or two.

Wednesday was my kid's first birthday, and it gave me a good excuse to quit... again...

I'm really worried about what will happen the first time I get around my social circle, or band...  my problem has always been more of a mental/social addiction to smoking and not a physical addiction, as I could go for long periods without doing it (even days), though in the last 6 months I'd gone from just smoking socially to once again smoking during the day... maybe 10 - 15 cigarettes a day... trying to hide it from my wife (ugh).

I'm definitely feeling some physical withdrawal symptoms... trouble sleeping, really bad cravings at the moment...  

I think I can stick with it as long as I'm not around my smoking friends (which is... pretty much all of them), but once I get around them, it's so damn easy to say 'oh, can I have one of those?'

I wanna be around for my kid.  I'm doing a lot of reading on quitnet today... it all is very obvious stuff, really. It all makes sense.  It comes down to me and what I do when I get around those people and my willpower starts to erode...

I'm trying to keep busy with some games in the evenings... NHL 09 and finally revisiting Mass Effect...

Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:46:30 PM by kratz » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »

Glad to hear you're giving it a go.  I'm glad both my parents finally managed to quit.

Not that I've been through this battle, but I have a manual fixation. Try sunflower seeds to keep your mouth busy and a cup for the shells. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »

I hope it sticks for you this time.  Are you running one of those apps that tells you how many cigarettes you haven't smoked and how much money you've saved since you quit?  One of my friends has one one of those set up since he quit and it adds up really fast.

Also, enjoy tasting food again!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:49:57 PM »

Go Kratz Go! I'm hoping I can get myself in the right frame of mind to do the same.

Good luck man!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on September 26, 2008, 03:49:45 PM

I hope it sticks for you this time.  Are you running one of those apps that tells you how many cigarettes you haven't smoked and how much money you've saved since you quit?  One of my friends has one one of those set up since he quit and it adds up really fast.

Also, enjoy tasting food again!

Yeah, I am.  I've saved like $4 so far. smile
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »

I'm closing in on two years without smoking after smoking 2 packs a day for 10 years. For me I found the patch and telling as many people as possible that I quit to help. The guilt I would feel from starting up again was a key factor in keeping me from going back. Even after two years I still get the urge from time to time to smoke but the guilt keeps me from doing it. There was a group of 3 or 4 people that quit and the same time and I was the one that wasn't expected to stick with it so it can be done.  thumbsup It's a good thing I was underweight when I quit because I gained 50 pounds since then.  icon_eek
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »

In the times I've tried to quit, what I've noticed is that 'thinking about it' is what makes it harder than anything else. I can go days without the desire for a cigarette, but if I get stressed out for whatever reason, or I'm around someone who is smoking, I begin thinking about it again.

As a result, whenever I quit, I don't talk about the fact that "I'm quitting smoking". When I'm around someone who I know used to smoke but doesn't anymore - no matter how long it's been, I don't smoke around them. It really is a mind over matter thing.

I also find that, personally, beef jerky works best.

Good luck!
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 26, 2008, 03:46:29 PM

Glad to hear you're giving it a go.  I'm glad both my parents finally managed to quit.

Not that I've been through this battle, but I have a manual fixation. Try sunflower seeds to keep your mouth busy and a cup for the shells. 

I chew on plastic coffee stirrers. I go through 4 or 5 a day.  Guess it's better then smoking. icon_lol
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »

Kratz,

Just quit.  Please.  I just found out this morning that a coworker of mine has throat cancer.  She's been smoking regularly since 1986.  She's walking around saying "why did I have to smoke"  over and over again.  Kicking herself. 

Just stop.  If not for yourself then for your kid.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »

Good luck, Kratz. I've never smoked but my brother is a smoker and it worries me sick. My grandfather died of lung cancer; he started smoking at the same age my brother did. All I can think about sometimes is the idea that one day I'll have to watch my brother die in the same way.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on September 26, 2008, 03:58:48 PM

Wow, that actually sounds really good right now.  Hrm...
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 26, 2008, 04:21:40 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on September 26, 2008, 03:58:48 PM

Wow, that actually sounds really good right now.  Hrm...

Right now I smoke maybe... two packs a week, down from a pack a day (only been cutting back my smoke intake for about 3 weeks). On the other hand, I eat about a $3 bag of beef jerky a day now (I buy them at walmart). So I'm not saving money, but I'm smoking less, so I'm sure that's healthier.

The other thing that's important is - if you're an indoor smoker at home, make sure to cleanse your house of any of the odor of cigarettes. Rent a carpet shampooer, and get something to cleanse the air - I used incense, but that's not the best option. And hide / throw away all your ashtrays - you want to smoke outside if at all. And those things you do while smoking - don't do them for a while.

For me, I smoked at my computer desk, while playing world of warcraft. Right now, trying to quit, I find myself playing WoW and having a high desire to light up while I play. So I had to stop playing World of Warcraft for a while, because the two are tightly associated in my mind.

I still, unfortunately, have to have a cigarette on my drive to and from work, and I'm probably going to put on weight from all the extra food I'm eating, but damn if beef jerky isn't tasty.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 04:46:19 PM »

I have never smoked in a house I've lived in... sometimes in my car, but only with all the windows down.

My kid has never seen me with a cigarette.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »

GO MAN GO!!!!!

I quit Nov 11, 2007 after smoking about 15 years.  I used the patch myself, but not the regimented plan they put you on.  It REALLY helped subdue the cravings and let me concentrate on breaking the habit of smoking. 

YOU CAN DO IT MAN!!!!!

It gets way easier as time goes by.  All of my friends still smoke and now I can be around them, out drinking, and I don't even flinch. 

Good for you man, you are making the right choice!!!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »

Congrats on the attempt!  Well done sir.  Please keep us updated daily. 

I bet if you asked your buds, they'd encourage you to quit too cause I'm sure they all want to quit as well. Any chance it could be a group quit?

Prayer helps, too, I've heard. smile
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »

Treat the smoking thing like the pushup thing. Only not like I did it. I stopped the pushup thing but started again last night. You killed on the pushup thing.

Make it happen, cap'n!

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 05:51:29 PM »

I need to restart the pushup thing as well.

And incorporate a situp thing...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 06:10:13 PM »

just attempting it is enough for a round of applause

i started smoking when i was 13,quit when i was 18,got in with a girl when i was 20 and she got me smoking again(bitch)...and then quit when i was 22(or 23)...used to smoke a pack of Marlboro a day,coughed up all sorts of things...glad i quit

(Marlboro because my hero at the time smoked them...Slash from Guns N' Roses..LOL,what can i say...monkey see,monkey do)

maybe some advice or some things to look out for....(whch you may of already got to)

-that smoke after a meal is one of the hardest to stay away from
-damn it,do something with your hands!!
-watch out for Dreaming/dreams,often after i quit i would dream of having a smoke and when i awoke i would sometimes feel one of two things,dissapointment,thinking i had smoked again(immediately followed by joy as it was a dream)..or wanting a smoke even more
-going out drinking with mates...if mates smoke,its murder seeing them smoking,and even when going out and they dont smoke,a beer usually goes well with a smoke in the other hand

its funny how i stopped actually,i stopped immediately....
i was broke of cash(so no change there then),and i borrowed some money of my girlfriends auntie,and i got some cigerettes with the money..got back home and realised my Cat needed food,and i had forgot all about her..it kinda hit me,how shit it was being a smoker and being skint,gave the cigerettes to my girlfriend...borrowed some more money of her dad,LOL..got the moggy some food..havent smoked since...wierd,but at least that little episode did me a favour...that was 10 years ago

that cat is dead now(runover),girlfriend left(older guy),and i am still broke....but at least i still have my health disgust

my dads friend,old army buddy(who i called 'Uncle Jack' as they were that close)used to come round to my mum and dads with his wife every saturday to play cards,shoot the shit whatever,he smoked a lot and got lung cancer,i believe he needed to actually have a lung removed...after missing a few months of coming round,he started the tradition again of coming round every saturday(not smoking),he brought his wife and also a very,large machine to help him breath,it was pretty dreadful to look at,i can still remember my uncle going to pet my mums cat,and the damn thing being so scared of him the cat took off the fastest i have ever seen the cat move,i'll never forget the look on my Uncles face when the cat did one,it was the saddest face i have ever seen....my uncle died not long after,about 1996 i think it was,he was the same age as my dad,my dad turned 62 last birthday

below are some pictures to help you stop smoking(you dont have to look).....in the spoiler as they are not nice pictures

but i still wanna say good luck with how it goes thumbsup...like i said at the top,its good that you are at least trying

Spoiler for Hiden:

Small cell carcinoma (oat cell) of the lung in a smoker.

arteries i think with advance lung cancer(i maybe wrong about that,but it is from an anti smoking advertisement)

Amy Winehouse.....nuff said

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »

I have found that the most important influence on the pursuit of any goal is personal willpower.  The key is wanting to achieve said goal, making the definitive mental decision to do so, and then carrying out the directive.  Something as simple as waking up early for work, going to the gym three days a week, putting the toilet seat up, completing college, losing weight, etc, can all be achieved by first determining that you want to complete such a goal, and then simply doing it.  My wife occasionally gets frustrated with my willpower and ability to accomplish whatever I set my mind to, such as losing 10 pounds.  Once I make the decision it's like a switch, and immediately I start making the necessary changes to achieve my goal.  The very next day I'll be up at 4am to hit the gym, I'll hit the grocery on my way home to gather the supplies I will need in order to eat healthier, I'll cut back on beer and snacks, and off I go on my qwest.  When coworkers head out for a burger and fries and ask if I'd like to join them I simply say, "No."  If I glance in the fridge and see that we have both water and soda, I'll consciously choose water intead of soda.  I may want the soda, but I choose water.  My willpower is what helps me to say "no" to that extra beer, or going out to lunch, or sleeping in instead of going to the gym.  My wife, on the other hand, struggles with willpower as it's always easier to blame an inability to wake up early to go to the gym on "not being a morning person", or eating an extra snack because she'll "work it off at the gym."  But that's hard to do if you sleep in and figure you'll hit the gym tomorrow.  Or the next day.  Or "next week I'll eat healthier."  Next week turns into next month turns into never.  

Decide.  And then stick to your decision.  While it may not be easy to say "no" to a cigarette, a simple change in mind is all that is necessary to actually do so.  But you first have to make that decision that you want to quit, and then make decisions that allow you to do so.  It obviously takes a conscious effort, but the mind is a rather powerful tool once it's on your side.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »

I've never been a smoker.  Done it enough socially, but luckily never got hooked.

All I have to say is, if you could see some of the people that come through my emerg with lung cancer and shit.. you'd never smoke again.

Good luck bud.. we're rooting for you.

"Goonies never say die"
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 07:35:11 PM »

Quit and stay quit you fucking pussy, someone's gotta be around to teach Otto how to rock.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »

It's sure as hell not gonna be you! smile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »

Good luck! I broke my cigarette addiction over six years ago now, after having smoked for 30 years. Nicorette was the crutch that got me through. First you break the habit, and then you break the addiction. I quit the gum after three or four months.

On most Tuesday nights I get together with some friends at a bar, and I bum 2-3 cigarettes. I look forward to those, but I can easily do without if my smoker friend doesn't show up or if I blow off my bar night that week. I also smoke a few cigars each week. I can easily go days at a time without one, although I prefer not to. For me, it's all about control (willpower, as PeteRock says). I can enjoy tobacco without becoming addicted. But it took me literally years to master that.

One thing that helps: Don't dwell on never having another cigarette in your life. Concentrate on not smoking one now, on beating your cravings one at a time.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »

Yeah, I was quit from the spring of 1999 until the fall of 2003.  I've been kicking myself for getting started again ever since... it was just so gradual. One here and there until suddenly I was a smoker again.

I quit for almost two months about a year go.  Again, the gradual relapse got me.  I'm planning on making sure the gradual relapse is avoided this time.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »

Kratz!
Kratz!
He's our man!
If he can't do it...
Several other forumers have?  icon_wink

In all seriousness, congrats on the 46 hours and may the number only grow. Your kiddo will thank you for it.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »

It's been more than 46 hours now....bravo sir!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »

Make a promise to yourself that if you start smoking again you'll get a tattoo of a penis on your arm.

Tongue
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 26, 2008, 09:25:47 PM

Make a promise to yourself that if you start smoking again you'll get a tattoo of a penis on your arm.

Tongue

I think I get it. Redundant, right? slywink

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »

55!

Oddly, I can feel all of the toxic shit seeping out of my mouth... I need lots of gum.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 26, 2008, 10:06:33 PM

55!

Oddly, I can feel all of the toxic shit seeping out of my mouth... I need lots of gum.

I went through a shit ton of gum.  Handy for keeping your mind off smoking.  I still say the patch helps, too!
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 11:49:04 PM »

It's been 4.5 years since my last cigarette.  It took me many tries, but I finally did it.  The patch helped, dark chocolate helped, my fiance (now wife) helped, but ultimately the thing that did it was that it was finally time. 

Factors which helped - I avoided situations in which I used to smoke for awhile - I didn't drink alcohol or coffee for a couple of weeks.  A few months after I quit, I went to vegas on a bachelor party, and that was really tough, but I had planned out many responses beforehand and brought lots of good dark chocolate.  The chocolate was my wife's idea, but some of the receptors in the brain that chocolate activates probably helped ease the cravings... or at least that's my theory.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

Keep it up.

I also would recommend talking to hepcat, he stopped I think a year ago, and maybe he can give you some ideas to resist the crave.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 03:28:19 AM »

I quit smoking two years ago.  It sucked.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 04:35:42 AM »

Keep on it Kratz! Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done and I still crave them even after 3+years but the craving go away fast now. Nicotine is a hell of a drug.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »

I quit using all tobacco products about 11 years ago after my son was born. I wanted to be around to see him grow up. I used tons of gum.  Stick with it Kratz.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 03:36:52 PM »

Successfully made it through a night out.

Go me.

70 hours.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 03:41:55 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 27, 2008, 03:36:52 PM

Successfully made it through a night out.

Go me.

70 hours.

Nice work man.  Quitting is a bitch, but it'll absolutely be worth it in the end.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 03:54:54 PM »

Go man go!!  You can do it.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »

Way to go, Kratz! Like Metal says, just starting the quitting process is super, don't waste it again - srsly, plz?  icon_neutral

I smoked for about two weeks (oh, this is gonna make me sound ancient) about 42 years ago.  Then I started a summer job working in tobacco fields...

Several things were in my favor for quitting:  I hadn't really started, and the cigarettes just made me dizzy;  I had convinced my father to quit about 5 years earlier, and felt rather guilty; and I saw what became of my hands while working with tobacco.  The latter cinched it, because at the end of every day, I had to, first, scrape the black, crust-like layer of residue from my hands, then use Lava soap to get the green slime under that to stop being slimy - and then, before going out anywhere, including back to school, I actually had to soak my hands in a strong bleach solution, because they were a noticeable shade of green/brown.

As an adult, later, I could add another reason - the misery and death of one of my best friends - from emphysema first, then lung cancer after that.  Yeah, he finally quit smoking when he got to the oxygen tank stage (with nicotine gum, btw) but I doubt it bought him even a few extra days, which I know he wouldn't have wanted in that condition anyway. They'd already scraped out his lungs - I forget the name of that procedure - a couple of times, he'd been hospitalized a bunch, and was pretty well wasted away.  It was horrid.  icon_frown

Stick with it, Kratz, or we will stay after you until you cave and quit again!  May as well get it over with now.   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »

Keep it up.

My wife quit 6 years ago after trying several times before. This time she gave herself an incentive. Every year on her quiting anniversary she buys herself a new pair of nice shoes, usually John Fluevogs. It seems to be working smile

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: