http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:59:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming smartphone releases  (Read 936 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:10:18 AM »

I'm on sprint and probably will be for at least another 2 year term.  I'm looking for my next phone this summer.  Right now I'm making do with a Pre minus.

I could stick with Webos for the Pre 3.  I do love the OS, but I don't have the optimism the die hards do about a resurgence.  The limited app catalog is quite painful.

I could go to Android.  There's the EVO 3D, the Within (Galaxy S2), or the Photon (by motorola).  I believe all will support Wimax 4G.  I'm not sold on a 3D phone based on what I've seen with the 3DS, but the other specs are nice on the EVO.  The overseas reviews of the Galaxy S2 are estatic.  The motorola seems to match up well with other two and is a world phone. 

There are the endless rumors of a Sprint iphone along with companion rumors of a higher data fee for the iphone.

What does the group mind recommend?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:43:50 AM »

I'm also looking to switch to a new smart phone this summer as well, preferably something Android. I'm also looking to make this my all in one device, so it needs to double as an MP3 player well (have a headphone jack, and support the ones with an inline remote).
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »

Hrthgar,
I definitely think you should say adios to Webos and embrace Android.

I own the HTC Evo and can wholeheartedly recommend HTC.  The Evo 3d has fantastic specs, with or without the 3d aspect.  HTC phones are very easy to root and will continue to be easy (HTC CEO spoke out and retracted a policy of having locked bootloaders, which Motorola has).  My wife has the Samsung Epic and really likes it, but I'm not fond of Samsung's os upgrade track record, or their custom gui.   HTC Sense is the GUI for HTC phones, and it's one of the best custom GUI's out there (though I don't use it now).

I say go with the Evo 3D.

Turtle, what service do you have?  Most smartphones worth their salt have a headphone jack with inline remote capabilities. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »

I'm very happy with my Windows Phone 7, just to throw that in the mix.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »

another +1 for the evo.  had it for a few months and while i haven't rooted it, i am very satisfied with the default os vs the iphone i dumped before it. 

i am looking to root though as the recent minor update they put out isn't playing very well with the phone.  i've noticed some apps that used to run low on resource usage now spiking for no obvious reason.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »

Yet another +1 on the Evo. I'm debating on upgrading to the Evo 3D whenever my contract rolls around simply due to the spec increase, but otherwise the 3D is pretty worthless IMHO. I don't see anything supporting it in the Android Market anytime soon.

But I've loved my Evo. Bought it at launch and it's been a great day to day phone.

On the flip side - I don't expect to see a Sprint iPhone anytime soon.

EDIT: Huh. Count me surprised.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:04:29 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2011, 05:45:21 PM

don't they need at least 2 more years of rumors before it actually happens though?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »

Its looking like the next Pre is going to be a great phone, and everyone seems to agree that it is hands down the best OS, but its never going to catch up on Apps, so I say make the Android switch. I'm using an unrooted Incredible 2 on Verizon's network and am very pleased. I was a very happy owner of the original Incredible before that. They're great phones and the options are endless (which is either a great think or a horrible thing, depending on the user). HTC makes great phones.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »

I don't need it to catch up in apps.  I just need webos not to be ignored for major apps.  I don't see any signs that's going to happen any time soon.  I'd love for the Pre 3 to thrive, but I just have the feeling I'd be kicking myself for the next two years if I grabbed one.

Bull, my wife has the HTC Arrive.  It's pretty nice and will look even better once mango drops.  However I'd probably be better off waiting for the v2 specs and the nokias.  I'm not sure I'm that patient.

I do see a lot of HTC love.  The build quality of the Arrive is nice.  Maybe I'll see what kind of deals show up for the EVO 3D when it launches.  I think it's the 24th.

Anything I should know about android devices?

Cheers,
Hrothgar

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »

Personally I have a Samsung Google Nexus S and I like it quite a bit.  I have it on T-Mobile, but it looks like it is available on Sprint as well.  One nice thing is that it is a native Google phone, so you get updates before anyone else and don't have to wait for a 3rd party to update their custom GUI.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »

Why I like the phones that can be easily rooted (most any Android phone that isn't Samsung based) - thanks to the community, you can get upgrades and new versions faster than Google themselves sometimes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 03:16:15 AM »

It looks like Samsung might be thinking about changing its ways.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:46:42 AM »

I'm still waiting for the next iPhone.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »

I plan on getting the EVO 3D simply because of the specs.  It's basically the EVO part 2 with the gimmick of the 3D screen that can be turned off.  Otherwise you get the faster dual cpu, double the ram, 4X the rom, 1080p recording and a bigger battery.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 13, 2011, 03:16:15 AM

It looks like Samsung might be thinking about changing its ways.

Grrrr. They can give them away but won't put them up for sale in the US?!
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 02:30:58 AM »

I'm currently on att w/ featurephone (samsung flight) and want a new phone so bad. Been thinking of jumping to verizon for the incredible 2 (lately on newegg for $2 and before that $20 and its a global phone). With my etf would only be ~100 and att wont deal in store to keep me and I dont really want what they currently have anyway and want unlimited data (currently dont have it). I do like what I've read of the galaxy s2 but not sure how long I can wait (And wondering the cost + etf). Thought about nexus s too but dont like that it has no sd slot, but it is pure google. Probably waiting until midJuly due to vacation at end of this month but ready for a real phone. I do want a world phone though so if s2 on verizon isnt would either go dinc2 for the unlim data or wait until oct to get s2 on att. Slightly tempted to wait next iphone but really want a more open phone though I do like my wife's 3gs and we could then share apps.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »

But Verizon's killing unlimited data plans.

You might want to look at the Sprint Photon mentioned above. 

Personally, I may be looking more closely at the EVO 3D since my pre is starting to get a bit erratic.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »

I don't know about you, but even though my contract ends this month (iPhone 3GS), I'm waiting until September to see what Apple's got up their sleeves with the iPhone 5 or 4S or whatever it is.

I'm heavily leaning towards switching to the Pre 3 - I see the people above agree with me that it's hands down the best phone OS - and looks to be one hell of a tablet OS, too.

Yes, the app selection is painful, but looking at my iPhone, the only apps I really use are Twitter, eBay, Dropbox, a few banking apps and a few games. That's it, really. My iPad has taken over the majority of my time in regards to apps, so I don't think I'll be losing much if I switch to webOS.

I might be wrong, though. I just don't like Android in general, and while Microsoft has a nice OS, it's off to a rocky start lately. And hell, Apple might pull out an iPhone 4S with killer specs. Who knows.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »

EVO 3D review.   It sounds like there are battery life problems, but I'm still interested.  Based on what I've seen, it seems sense is less obtrusive than blur.

There are rumors of HP announcing Pre 3 pricing and availability in the next few days.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »

How long do you plan on keeping your phone?  Is Sprint 4G available in your area right now?  I do tend to think that Sprint will eventually abandon their WiMax 4G and go all LTE, so I wouldn't necessarily get one of the current Sprint 4G phones if I could avoid the $10 Sprint fee for them and I was in an area that doesn't support it now.  If you are on a SERO plan, there are options for upconverting that now.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2011, 10:52:42 PM

Why I like the phones that can be easily rooted (most any Android phone that isn't Samsung based) - thanks to the community, you can get upgrades and new versions faster than Google themselves sometimes.

I think you mean Motorola.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »

I am currently in a Sprint 4G area.  Given that they haven't lit up a single LTE tower (even if they claim the transition is only on the software side), I don't expect the death of Wimax soon.  Besides I think their plan is to kill off IDEN and use that spectrum for LTE.   So Wimax and LTE could coexist for a while.  Based on some of the weaknesses of the current Wimax spectrum, I'd probably prefer to go LTE eventually.  I'm sure I'll be ready for a new phone by then.

Unfortunately, you can't avoid the $10 fee any more.  Any new smart phone activation invokes the fee whether it supports 4G or not.   I guess they realized they didn't want to give people reasons not to switch to 4G.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »

More EVO 3D reviews from the net.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »

Any good phones for T-Mobile coming up? That's the service I'm with. I'm considering a switch to Verizon though.

Speaking of which, anyone have any extra phones for t-mobile or unlocked for sale?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:21:35 AM by Turtle » Logged
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »

Turtle, I saw this list.  The dates aren't perfect, but it does give a snapshot of the rest of the year on Tmo.  It looks like the Hercules is the heavy hitter.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 16, 2011, 05:07:15 PM

EVO 3D review.   It sounds like there are battery life problems, but I'm still interested.  Based on what I've seen, it seems sense is less obtrusive than blur.

There are rumors of HP announcing Pre 3 pricing and availability in the next few days.

Not at all a fan of Engadget's review. Their 'battery life problems' consisted of them running with all the radios on (GPS, Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G), short of bluetooth. And 4G drains the battery like no other.

The other review sites are saying that the battery lasts longer than the Evo did, which makes sense, because not only is it a bigger battery, but it's a dual core processor, which should use less battery power because both are going to be clocked lower unless needed.

Thanks to Sprint's generous policies (which are changing shortly, annoyingly), I'm getting the Evo 3D at launch for $50. $199 purchase price (thanks to the old policy, I could get a new phone every year, which expires at the end of the month), minus a $150 trade in (at this moment anyhow) for the Evo 4G. I doubt I'll use the 3D part at all, but the phone itself is a nice upgrade otherwise.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 11:11:47 PM »

Passed by a Cricket store today and thought about this thread.     My wife's contract is up and i was wondering what the opinion is on Crickets service and phones.   They had a sign out front that says they are offering a free Android phone when you switch services.    I tried researching a bit and didn't find much about Cricket.   Anyone know about the service and phones?    My wife currently has a real old school phone and she is wanting to update to something more modern.   

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 04:54:30 AM »

Sorry I don't know anything about Cricket.  With smaller carriers coverage areas, roaming affiliation and roaming fees are pretty important.  This article might help with phones.

I'm not a huge fan of Engadget's editorial stance.  They're a great aggregator for mobile information without being too far in any one camp (iOS, android, meego, symbian, webos).  They just like the shiny new hotness.  They were better before all their editors left a few months ago.

I did look at Sprint's trade in for my pre.  It was $5.  I think I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an EVO 3D.  I'm sure I'll miss WebOS and a keyboard, but I can drown my sorrows in a ton of apps.  Last call for any photon or Nexus S fans to change my mind.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 06:16:42 AM »

Nexus S is pure google but I would prefer a dual core now. With motorolas stance on unlocked bootloaders now you get the kickstand and Tegra 2 with Nvidias game center type deal.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »

Anyone seen any really good father's day sales?

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 08:45:20 PM »

It's hard to say without knowing what you're looking for.  There are some good sales every week.   It's good to check out Amazon Wireless, Wirefly and Best Buy Mobile to see what's on sale.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 04:42:21 AM »

Here I had made up my mind to get the EVO 3D.  Then I stopped by the one sprint store in my area with knowledgeable employees.  One of the guys I respect was working so I asked him if it was worth waiting for the Photon or if I should go with Evo 3D.  He advised me to wait for the Photon.  He's actually had hands on time with both phones.  I guess I'll be patient and wait for the photon.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 02:34:13 AM »

I've read on lots of sites that Verizon has finally dated the end of unlimited data is 7/6. On 7/7 supposed to start 2gb for $30 and up. If you sign up before you get the unlim data. Not sure how long that lasts (until contract over? upgrade phone?). I get back home on 7/3 and so tempted to drop ATT for it but have decided to wait a few months until more phones to drop. Still the temptation of unlim data pulls me though I doubt I would use more than 2gb (Really just want a phone with wifi so I can surf faster at home than my featurephone)

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:02 AM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on June 22, 2011, 02:34:13 AM

I've read on lots of sites that Verizon has finally dated the end of unlimited data is 7/6. On 7/7 supposed to start 2gb for $30 and up. If you sign up before you get the unlim data. Not sure how long that lasts (until contract over? upgrade phone?). I get back home on 7/3 and so tempted to drop ATT for it but have decided to wait a few months until more phones to drop. Still the temptation of unlim data pulls me though I doubt I would use more than 2gb (Really just want a phone with wifi so I can surf faster at home than my featurephone)

Generally those deals last until 1) You either have to change your plan because it's no longer compatible with your new phone, or 2) You change phones period.

Also keep in mind that Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data to begin with. Their 'unlimited' is 5GB, just like every other carrier. Sprint out of the 4 providers are the ones that care the least if you go over (as long as you don't go nuts), although they do offer truly unlimited data on their 4G network (if you can find it).

That said - I don't know what Verizon does when you go over, although with their new plans, they'll no doubt start charging you if you go over just like AT&T does.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »

So Nokia has released details on their first (and probably last meego phone).  It's the N9.  With their Windows Phone 7 deal, they're basically dropping symbian and meego for smartphones.

It looks pretty slick (and like WebOS).  I guess I don't know what makes a good smartphone OS, since the ones I like are losing badly.  Oh well, maybe I'll become a true believer once I convert to android.  Regardless, I'm sure the best features will be incorporated into WP7 and Android eventually.  I'm sure Apple will continue to go their own way.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: