http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:25:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpected XMas gift from Target: Data breach  (Read 474 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:01 PM »

were you one of the people who took advantage of Target's amazing BF deals?  well then, you should probably consider getting that card reissued. 

http://lifehacker.com/target-hacked-credit-cards-and-private-data-for-40-mil-1486402421

that's 40 million cards worth of data stolen, and they got it all.  full number and CVV code (which should be in breach of contract with the various CC companies)

more disturbingly, they only found out about it on December 15th.  thankfully, they announced it today, giving all would be card stealers a small 40-day window to act on your data. 

I am so pissed at this store right now over them waiting.   finger

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »

Even if you get your CC number changed, someone in OO pointed out that you still need to keep an eye on your credit report since the security breach gave away everything someone would need to open up lines of credit in your name.

Just to be safe, I'm going to cancel all my credit cards and bank accounts, convert all my cash into goods, and return to using just a barter system for all my transactions. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 19, 2013, 06:51:59 PM

Even if you get your CC number changed, someone in OO pointed out that you still need to keep an eye on your credit report since the security breach gave away everything someone would need to open up lines of credit in your name.

Just to be safe, I'm going to cancel all my credit cards and bank accounts, convert all my cash into goods, and return to using just a barter system for all my transactions. 

it doesn't seem that way from what both LH and target have posted. Name, number, CVV, expiration.  nothing about SSN, Dob or address.  is that mentioned somewhere else?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »

I think you might be right.  On second read, I think the OO folks were just mentioning checking credit reports as a part of a necessary due diligence routine.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »

We look forward to your next post by carrier pigeon.  smile

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 19, 2013, 08:31:51 PM

We look forward to your next post by carrier pigeon.  smile

.-.. --- .-..

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »

this gets worse. 

Quote from: the [i
money shot[/i], as it were]As part of Targetís ongoing forensic investigation, it has been determined that certain guest information -- separate from the payment card data previously disclosed -- was taken during the data breach.

This theft is not a new breach, but was uncovered as part of the ongoing investigation. At this time, the investigation has determined that the stolen information includes names, mailing addresses, phone numbers or email addresses for up to 70 million individuals.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »

https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/payment-card-issue-FAQ#q5953

"Target is extending our offer of one year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection to all Target guests who shopped in our U.S. stores. We will be sharing more information about this offer next week."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:46 AM »

Jimminy jillickers... crybaby

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: