http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 12:50:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Um, Firefox. Wow.  (Read 2750 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2004, 03:55:34 AM »

I posted this over on GG too, but am feeling the need to spout how superior this browser is to IE everywhere I go.

The tabs, and making the interface up top so much smaller.. the whole thing just adds up to a great package.

That and it's 10 times faster than IE.

I wish I'd switched sooner.

Tell me.. why did I hate opera so much when I tried it a year ago?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 04:04:11 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Tell me.. why did I hate opera so much when I tried it a year ago?

Because you couldn't stand using a browser named after some well-known person on TV. That and it wasn't free, unlike Firefox.

Now, go download Adblock and Mouse Gestures, and the internet will be your oyster. Or something. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 04:16:50 AM »

I have mouse gestures, and I hardly ever use it.  I guess I just got used to Firefox before installing it, so it never became a requisite physical memory.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 04:34:20 AM »

I can't see myself using mouse gestures.

I'll think it's a cool idea, but a novelty, and then I'll never use it after the initial day I install it.

And.. what exactly does adblock do for me that the built-in pop-up blocker doesn't already do?

*Scratch that. Read it myself. Downloading now.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 05:14:11 AM »

Ok, so.. holy crap.

I thought adblock would just sort of remove the ads and leave empty space where they were.. I didn't realize it would make it look like they were never even there to begin with.

I can finally read an IGN article without wanting to pull my hair out trying to read around ads.

Excellent plugin. Thanks for the advice biggrin

Ok, I'll stop whoring myself out for firefox now. I'm just really enjoying it already.

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 07:03:30 AM »

http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ I can't live without this baby.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 01:56:40 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
The tabs, and making the interface up top so much smaller.. the whole thing just adds up to a great package.

I've been using Firefox for a few months now and love it, but I've never gotten the "interface up top is smaller" argument.  You do know you can set IE to use small icons up top, right?  My upper browser space is actually bigger in IE, partly because of the Dev Toolbar, but mostly because the Firefox of the Googlebar *doesn't* have a small icon option (and the thing is huge otherwise).  Start using tabs and you're down another 10px or so.

I got a kick out of the 10 reasons to switch from IE to Firefox site that's out there.  Some of the things they bring up are *total* stretches, but then what do you expect from Fanbois? smile

As for the speed issue, Firefox and IE have similar performance in my exprience.  To be honest, I feel like Firefox is timing out more frequently on sites as well (something it doesn't handle as well as IE).

I'm still not switching back though. smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 03:18:18 PM »

Point taken as far as the IE small icons thing.

One of those things I never bothered to look at I guess.

Anyway.. as far as performance, pages are definitely loading faster in firefox than they ever did for me in IE.

To each his own I guess.

Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 04:50:38 PM »

I was using mozilla for the last year or so,.. so it wasnt a big change to go to firefox....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 05:13:58 AM »

I've had some odd problems with IE since my last patching. In some sites, when I tried to close the browser, it wouldn't do so immediately, and instead stopped responding.

Unfortunately, if I had any other IE windows open, they would also stop responding as a result. Eventually, I'd either have to wait a few minutes for the problem to disappear, or force them close (thereby closing each of them, whether I wanted to, or not).

I finally had enough today, and after reading both this thread, and the one in GG about Firefox, I figured it was a high time to make the switch.

I'm still in the honeymoon period, but color me impressed over how quickly I took a liking towards Firefox. There've been a couple of pages, where it has crashed, but about 97% of the time, it's been smooth sailing. And all these nifty little additions, like the tabs, the customizations, quickness, adblock (bless you, adblock!), etc. - they amount to one excellent package. I figure I won't be looking back from this.

Now, if I could just bring myself to stop using Netscape Communicator's e-mail program as the standard for all my e-mailing needs, and I'd be set. Anyone have any ideas for a good (and maybe free or cheap) e-mail proggie, that I'd be able to import all my e-mails from Netscape to said program without much hassle?

Er, not Outlook Express, though.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 07:45:06 AM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Now, if I could just bring myself to stop using Netscape Communicator's e-mail program as the standard for all my e-mailing needs, and I'd be set. Anyone have any ideas for a good (and maybe free or cheap) e-mail proggie, that I'd be able to import all my e-mails from Netscape to said program without much hassle?

How about Thunderbird?  It's like Firefox, but for e-mail.  Free and open-source!  It's a sister product of Firefox, also from the Mozilla folks.  It should allow you to import all your old messages from Communicator.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 01:43:11 PM »

I second that emotion.  Works like a charm.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 04:47:19 PM »

I tried using firefox for the first time but when I go to import my IE favorites and other settings, it crashes on me.  Repeatedly

It says the following...

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

abnormal program termination

I've installed it 2 times now

I have Firefox version 0.9
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 12:28:39 AM »

I second that emotion. Works like a charm.

I third it.

I tried using firefox for the first time but when I go to import my IE favorites and other settings, it crashes on me. Repeatedly

It says the following...

Runtime Error!

Have youtried  exporting the IE favorites to an HTML file? In IE: File > Import & Export.

Do that, then in Firefox goto Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks, from there goto File > Import, and in that dialog open the exported IE favorites HTML file.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 05:57:53 AM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
I second that emotion. Works like a charm.

I third it.

I tried using firefox for the first time but when I go to import my IE favorites and other settings, it crashes on me. Repeatedly

It says the following...

Runtime Error!

Have youtried  exporting the IE favorites to an HTML file? In IE: File > Import & Export.

Do that, then in Firefox goto Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks, from there goto File > Import, and in that dialog open the exported IE favorites HTML file.

You the man!

Thanks
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 06:09:25 AM »

Glad I could help =)
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 01:46:29 AM »

doh I forgot I have firefox and been using IE since I got home biggrin
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 02:34:56 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
How about Thunderbird?  It's like Firefox, but for e-mail.  Free and open-source!  It's a sister product of Firefox, also from the Mozilla folks.  It should allow you to import all your old messages from Communicator.

Looks like a spitting image of the Communicator, and since it's in the same Mozilla family, I'll most likely make the transition. Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

I am having some minor difficulties getting my e-mail from Communicator imported, though. The program, for whatever reason, doesn't actually go through with the process, even though I click the ever elusive "next" button. Why, I've no idea.

It does create files that are the exact same sizes, though. Hmh. I wonder, if I could directly copy over said files...

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 03:06:52 AM »

Maybe try exporting from communicator before importing into T-bird?

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 04:08:32 AM »

Whelps, directly copying Inbox, Sent, etc... files from my netscape profile into my Thunderbird profile did the trick. Can't believe after 8 years, I'll finally be able to put Netscape as my standard e-mail program to rest. Makes me giddy all over. smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 02:51:07 AM »

You know, it's funny - I have the latest and greatest FireFox, yet I still use the outrageously outdated Mozilla 1.2.1 for my mail client.

Talk about getting one's mail from back in the stone age, eh?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 05:21:47 AM »

Preaching to the choir. I don't know why I used Communicator for so long. I've a tendency to stick with what works, and only upgrade when it's necessary, so I suppose it's because I'm partly a creature of habit.

It did feel kind of stupid to download Netscape every time I went through a format JUST to use its e-mail counterpart, though. And it'll no doubt take a bit of time to get used to Thunderbird, even though it looks almost exactly the same as Communicator's e-mail proggie.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: