http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultraviolet = Bad?  (Read 2067 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:03:05 PM »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10004504-ultraviolet/

Scoring a whopping 5% at the time of this post.  Ouch!  Anyone going to see it?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 01:20:25 PM »

I'm seeing it for the action, not for story or deep character development.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 02:12:24 PM »

I really liked it.  It's a pure comic book action movie.  Opinions seem to differ, but I'm going to see it again soon.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:24:37 PM »

OK, I never saw how it could be anything but bad, even as an action movie.  The commercials alone made it clear to me it's the same kind of stupid glossy 'hyper-stylized' crap that Jovovich has been involved in for years it seems.  I honestly thought it was the next Resident Evil movie the first time a commercial ran.

I still blame the Matrix for the death of good action movies.  Everything from now on will be these stupid wire-fu acts, with pumping soundtrack, pointless camera cuts, and idiotic 'isn't that kewl!!' wardrobes moments.
(The smartass in me is saying, I will now go watch Time & Tide.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:26:15 PM »

TML and I are planning on seeing it.  Perhaps we'll write some TWINSIES IMPRESSIES when we do.  Though, hearing what other GTers beforehand think about it would be cool   smile

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 04:04:38 PM »

I didn't like it.  Before seeing it, I did see how it could be anything but bad since it was directed by Kurt Wimmer, of Equilibrium pseudo-fame.  But it did not live up to that fine movie.

It was very much a comic book movie, I'll give it that, but it wasn't a very good movie movie.

I did not pay for it, however, it was a "team building exercise".  I also saw Doom under the same pretense.  And I will say that this was a better movie than Doom.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 04:43:07 PM »

I don't like Mila Jovovich, and I don't like the look of the movie. It just looks, I dunno, ugly, or stupid. Stugly. Like a weird future/retro hybrid that seems assy to me. I can see this being one of those movies, like Underworld, where I could buy it, where I could enjoy it - nothing against the B stylings - if it didn't constantly pull me out of the viewing experience because of annoyances. He he, I guess B movie concepts are fine by me - it's B movie execution that pisses me off.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 06:57:38 PM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
it was directed by Kurt Wimmer, of Equilibrium

I didn't realize that, but it explains why it "looks" like Equilibrium, which I liked. We are going to see it this weekend probably.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 07:25:53 PM »

Crap, it's out?  I was thinking it didn't come out til mid march.  I'll have to go see this next weekend.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 08:01:15 PM »

If you want to see something very different, then check out Night Watch quite possibly playing at an art house near you. It's the first part of a trilogy so the entire movie is basically setup, but supposedly it is a very, very cool take on vampire action.

Plus, it's in Russian with subtitles which adds to the cool factor in my book.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 08:40:16 PM »

wow, even Aeon Flux got a higher rating (12%) than this, and I thought that was bad.  I guess the extra 7% was for seeing charlize in that so called bead night-gown thing  :lol:
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 12:07:22 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
If you want to see something very different, then check out Night Watch quite possibly playing at an art house near you. It's the first part of a trilogy so the entire movie is basically setup, but supposedly it is a very, very cool take on vampire action.

Oooh, I'd heard that the subtitles were very unique, no joke. That they were a very creative way of handling the language barrier. Any thoughts?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 12:25:06 AM »

Oh.  Wow.  Rotten Tomatoes gave a movie a bad rating.  

How
surprising.  
I
am
truly
amazed.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 12:57:05 AM »

It would seem that I'm the only person in the known universe that liked this movie.

unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 02:31:53 AM »

I'll see it, just maybe not in the theatre.  I don't currently have a 'movie buddy' anyway, and don't feel like going to the theatre solo.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 04:34:13 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Oooh, I'd heard that the subtitles were very unique, no joke. That they were a very creative way of handling the language barrier. Any thoughts?

Here's the best explanation I'd found of them. Do not read below if you even remotely want to be surprised:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You see, for 80-85% of the film it is subtitled in the standard, by the book way. They’re clear, never distracting and perfectly paced. But the other 15-20% - well, those subtitles are done like a comic book. Seriously. Exactly like a comic book. Subtitles appear from behind characters moving across the screen. Subtitled whispers fade in and out. Vampiric calls to their victims appear blood red before dissipating and blowing away with the wind. This artistic flair is never overdone – but rather done just enough to make you feel like you’re watching a live action comic book – something pulled right out of the Vertigo universe. And when a subtitle might conflict with something on screen, they carefully place it somewhere else – either simply offsetting it a bit or placing it in a perfect void in the action onscreen. It is hands down the single most inventive, creative and perfectly executed attempt to translate a foreign film to American audiences I have ever seen.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 06:16:16 AM »

You can't tell me a movie with Mila looking this smoking hot is bad...Ill never believe you.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 09:00:03 AM »

*Yak*  She has always been just plain old fugly to me.  And the picture proves me right.  FUGLY!

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »

I'm going to re-post what I wrote on another forum:

I saw it along with a couple of my other friends.

Oh my god.

This is a contender for the worst movie ever. It's like a bad music video that never ends where the "artist" actually makes an attempt at acting and fails miserably. So, so awful.

The dialogue, the neverending techno-whatever soundtrack that plays for 95% of the film, the weak special effects, the overuse of soft-lighting (much like in games from last year), and so many other simply incomprehensible moments..

Wholly and truly terrible in almost every way possible.

Kurt Wimmer has written and directed a good movie. That movie was called Equilibrium. It was good despite having a couple of fairly big flaws. It was enjoyable. It managed to avoid many of the pitfalls that Ultraviolet seems to leap into haphazardly every three seconds.

So... the plot is nonsense. The special effects are cheap, ineffective, and overused. The dialogue is horrid, the costumes are generally crap (If you didn't laugh the first time you saw William Fichtner wearing those idiotic sunglasses you're not human), and even actors who I normally like give performances that I can only assume were ruined by the director himself.

I'm usually pretty forgiving of Milla Jovovich and her somewhat strange taste in movie roles. She's managed to make entertaining movies several times despite fairly weak source material. This one.. no actor or actress could ever have saved this movie.

And poor, poor William Fichtner. I doubt many of you even know who that is, but he's been in tons of movies over the past several years. He's been in other bad ones (Armageddon anyone?) but in general he's a great character actor and turns some minor parts into truly good roles. I thought he was particularly good as a Delta Operator in Blackhawk Down. He's completely wasted here.

The only thing that could have saved this would have been a new writer/director.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 05:45:22 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
This one.. no actor or actress could ever have saved this movie.

Jessica Alba saves all.

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »

And poor, poor William Fichtner. I doubt many of you even know who that is, but he's been in tons of movies over the past several years.

Not to mention a great role on the TV series Invasion.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 09:00:17 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
*Yak*  She has always been just plain old fugly to me.  And the picture proves me right.  FUGLY!

In that picture, yes.  In the proceeding picture, no.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 11:40:34 PM »

Lies.  If she were sitting next to you in a restaurant, you would hit it.  And you know you would.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 12:44:06 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Lies.  If she were sitting next to you in a restaurant, you would hit it.  And you know you would.

...from behind while eating a bowl of spaghetti balanced on her ass.  You're damned right.  I might even toss you a breadstick while you watch. drool

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 12:56:40 AM »

Oh sweet JESUS don't go see this movie!  I'm gonna have damned nightmares about how horrible this movie was.  Fantastic special effects mixed with HORRIBLE (like, "Hell: A Cyberpunk Adventure" horrible, or really any other "CD ROM ENABLED Adventure!" title) special effects.  The plot...well, there isn't really one.  The dude with the glasses in his nose?  Awful.  The acting in general?  Horrific.  I would like to say that the kid from Star Wars did some of the best acting in his career though in the first half of the movie...then he started talking and it was all over.  

The only saving grace in this movie is watching Milla.  Anime fans might like this movie, but I just kept looking for the option to turn off the damned bloom lighting.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 01:53:10 AM »

So if we forced terrorists to watch this movie, would the liberals complain that we were torturing them?   :lol:

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 07:06:56 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"

Jessica Alba saves all.

gellar

Wait, so an actress who has managed to badly deliver every single line in her entire acting career would somehow salvage dialogue worse than any other she has ever been given before?

I beg to differ slywink

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 07:49:07 AM »

Jessica Alba saves all.

gellar

Wait, so an actress who has managed to badly deliver every single line in her entire acting career would somehow salvage dialogue worse than any other she has ever been given before?

I beg to differ slywink

I don't think I've ever actually seen her act except in Dark Angel, and the problems with that show went far, far beyond anyone's acting ability.  So until I see one of her other works, I'm still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.  I'll give it to her over and over and over if need be.  Oh yeah.

Wait, what were we talking about?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 08:39:56 PM »

I'm glad I had no desire to see this after all the negative reviews-but seriously, who saw the preview and thought this would not suck?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 09:52:26 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
And poor, poor William Fichtner. I doubt many of you even know who that is, but he's been in tons of movies over the past several years.

Not to mention a great role on the TV series Invasion.

Oh crap, I didn't make the connection that he's the same actor from Invasion, Sheriff Underlay.  He was superb in Blackhawk Down.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 09:58:08 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I'm glad I had no desire to see this after all the negative reviews-but seriously, who saw the preview and thought this would not suck?

Yea, but the trailer didn't tell me it would suck THAT BAD.  *shudder*

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 05:45:04 AM »

Jessica Alba saves all.

gellar

I beg to differ slywink

You clearly haven't seen the cinematic masterpiece that is Honey.

gellar
warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2006, 12:08:54 PM »

Jessica Alba saves all.

gellar

I beg to differ slywink

You clearly haven't seen the cinematic masterpiece that is Honey.

gellar

Every movie could be improved by adding Jessica.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 12:04:16 AM »

I'm currently reminded of a bit I believe Paula Poundstone did when her career was still alive: she was ripping on DArryl Hannah's abilities as an actress when a male from the crowd said he liked her.  Immediate reply from Paula - 'OH , hey, she looks great.  I think it's the talking part that she doesn't do so well with. Maybe we can just put her picture in the film and have the actors work around it.'

Jessica Alba: Hey, she looks great... :lol:

(And I have not actually seen one thing with Alba in it, I just had to comment her talent appears to be inspiring onlookers with the thoughts of gettin it on.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: