http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 05:14:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh oh, I might be getting a puppy (update: he's home!)  (Read 1182 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:55:59 AM »

My wife and I have been talking for a while about getting a second dog, and doing so before our Golden is too old to appreciate it (she's currently a deceptively young 12).

Last weekend I tossed the idea out given we've been in our new house almost a year and the dog isn't getting any younger. I should have known better - my wife was immediately off on a mission.

A week later we pretty much have a deposit in on a boy Golden puppy. This weekend we'll go up to the breeder and check out the operation, papers etc., but everything we've seen so far looks great.

The whole puppy training and dealing with two dogs has me pretty nervous, but I'm also really excited to take the plunge.

(and just to head off anyone wondering why we didn't adopt - I've never had a puppy before and really wanted to experience it once. I am hoping in the future we can take advantage of the Golden Retriever rescue we have nearby).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:28:33 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »

Having gone through a similar experience with yellow labs, you may be rather surprised with how quickly your new puppy picks up obedience cues from their elder.  With our second puppy housetraining took a day or two (no, I'm not exaggerating - once Nala was disciplined for peeing in the house and saw that both she and Simba were praised for going outside, she more or less gave me that look that said, "Oh, well why didn't you say that was where you wanted me to go?").  Simba also immediately took Nala under his wing, sleeping right next to her crate at night, curling up next to her when she'd pass out from exhaustion in the middle of the floor, and he lets her get away with anything when they play together.  As they both must wait for the "okay" command to eat whenever we place their food on the floor, it took one meal to teach Nala the program.  She literally watched what Simba did and then imitated him, watching him the entire time, and after the "okay" she only started eating after he did. 

The initial sleepless nights, multiple visits home to provide restroom relief (unless you go the piddle pads route), and constant supervision for the first few weeks is not easy by any stretch, but you will find that your new puppy will pick up so much from your more mature dog and you'll also see that they will often entertain themselves whenever you need a short break.

While it may sound ridiculous, having two dogs really isn't any harder than having one, outside of having to buy twice as much food, twice as many toys, and clean up twice as much waste.

Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have.   thumbsup

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »

Yep,  what Pete said....  Having an older dog as a mentor makes raising a pup a much smoother process.  It also tends to be beneficial for the older dog as well.  Add in the fact that Goldens are just plain awesome and this should go quite well.
 Oh if you are in any way against getting this pup, dont look the puppy in the eyes or youre doomed!  Golden puppies are the cutest things on the planet and have the power to control you!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »

Well it's good thing their eyes are closed!

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

Ah that's great. You will have endless hours of fun, and friendship.
All the best with your new friend.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »

Damn!  Even with their eyes closed, I want one.  Their power is even more pervasive than I thought!

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »

Update! Here is our boy. His name is Benzie and we get to bring him home in two weeks!

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

Cute dog!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

Yep,  Golden puppies are the cutest critters on the planet.   Great looking dog there, Teggy. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:29:11 PM »

Here's our Benzie! He came home yesterday.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »

Enjoy the pup, Teggy.  Goldens are awesome dogs.

Heres a few shots of my bud, Chewie just to show that they are great looking dogs at any age 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »

Yes, well he has a big sister too smile

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 03:00:35 AM »

Yeah. Cute dogs! Long story short, how the hell do I post a pic from my iPhone here? I am THE noob!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:08:04 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 03:10:35 AM »

You'll have to upload it somewhere else first - I use photobucket, which has an iPhone app.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 03:25:24 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 30, 2012, 08:45:20 PM

Yes, well he has a big sister too smile

It's funny, when I brought Nala home at 6 weeks of age, Simba did the exact same thing.  He never left her side, slept by her side at every moment, and whenever she went into her crate for the night he slept up against the front gate.  To this day they'll nap together and he'll rest his head on her side while they both sleep soundly.   thumbsup

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 03:53:20 AM »

Damn you! Teggy.   Now I want a puppy buddy for Chewie.   

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »

It is a slippery slope Tongue. We got a buddy for Nanook and while it worked, it create new "challenges". I certainly wouldn't undo it, just really. Twice the dogs, twice the work/ heartache and money. Still, I freakin love them!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »

Well, that picture is a little deceptive smile Echo has been pretty much a loner for a long time, and while Benzie wants to play with her so badly, she's not really having any of it. He's been snapped at quite a few times, but he keeps coming back for more. Hopefully she'll warm up to him. If he's gentle, she will let him snuggle up like that, though.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 01, 2012, 03:00:35 AM

Yeah. Cute dogs! Long story short, how the hell do I post a pic from my iPhone here? I am THE noob!
You can host pics with Tapatalk. At least, you can with the Android app. I don't know about the iPhone.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »

We have three dogs at the moment. One is getting up there in age, diabetic, and blind. The other two are in their middle years. One of the girls was a rescue, and while I love her to death, she pees in the house sometimes. Long story short, I don't think we'll ever be able to add another dog to the mix while we have her because I think they'll be so difficult to train to go outside.

Anyway, our smallest is about 55 pounds, but we have given some thought to downsizing a bit when the time comes. We aren't generally crazy about smaller dogs, but could see us with a Corgi, perhaps.

Great looking puppy you got there! Honestly I think having two is often easier than one, provided they like to play together. We've found that adding a puppy to the mix can really put some zip into an older dog, but 12yo is up there.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »

Great thread. I posted a couple of months ago about the very sad passing of my 12 year old Airedale Terrier. I wasn't sure how long it would take till I was ready for another "best friend". Strider left a huge set of boots to fill.
Long story short..The wife phoned the breeder of our old buddy and she had a litter on the ground. a couple of weeks ago we picked up our 8 week old Airedale pup. Teddy is a very cool pup, and although he'll never take the place of Strider, he will give us his unique loving for many years to come. I'm amazed at how Teddy is easing the missing of my old buddy. I thought all I'd do is remember him every time I looked at Teddy. Same breed so it would be hard "not" to see him in the pup.

Anyway, I have no regrets in getting the "Tedster"...My walks are starting to be fun again.  icon_lol

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »

Great to hear that Arc. To be perfectly honest one of the reasons we got the second pup was that while our girl is in great shape for a 12-year old, statistically she is beating the average lifespan for a Golden. While we hope she still has several more years with us, having the boy around will ease the pain a little when the time comes.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 01, 2012, 09:55:48 PM

Great thread. I posted a couple of months ago about the very sad passing of my 12 year old Airedale Terrier. I wasn't sure how long it would take till I was ready for another "best friend". Strider left a huge set of boots to fill.
Long story short..The wife phoned the breeder of our old buddy and she had a litter on the ground. a couple of weeks ago we picked up our 8 week old Airedale pup. Teddy is a very cool pup, and although he'll never take the place of Strider, he will give us his unique loving for many years to come. I'm amazed at how Teddy is easing the missing of my old buddy. I thought all I'd do is remember him every time I looked at Teddy. Same breed so it would be hard "not" to see him in the pup.

Anyway, I have no regrets in getting the "Tedster"...My walks are starting to be fun again.  icon_lol

We seem to always have a Shepard mix so yeah it's a nice way to still "see" our buddies that aren't around anymore through them.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »

... aaaaaand now i want another, even though my new guy isnt yet a year old - thanks Teg!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »

That's not a lot of snow for 9 years.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 01:57:46 AM »

Congrats on the successful cloning!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 02:08:24 AM »

how are they finding Nemo?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: