http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 03:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UFC on Fox 1: Velasquez v. Dos Santos  (Read 325 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »

So the UFC has its first free show on Fox on the 12 featuring the heavyweight title fight.

Personally, I think both these fighters are overrated. Yes, I know Cain has the belt but he beat an overrated Brock Lesner to get it.  People are already putting him in all time great categories which is premature.

Dos Santos is a great boxer but he's also already getting all time comparisons which...is premature.

However, I think this is going to be a spectacular fight of two VERY good fighters.  I feel like Dos Santos' boxing is going to win the day, but for some reason I'm going with Cain to absorb the punishment and secure a few takedowns ultimately taking the majority decision.  Dos Santos couldn't knock out Carwin and I don't think his gloves will find Velasquez's face as often.  I also don't think Cain will be able to keep Dos Santos down once he gets him there. Should be great.

Also Benson Henderson v. Clay Guida should be epic.  BH is a ridiculously talented fighter who I think wins this one, but The Carpenter is always awesome to watch and will definitely make it interesting.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »

So it turns out that they're only showing the one fight on FOX. Not sure that that makes any sense, but the rest is being streamed for free on Facebook.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »

A friend of mine got me into watching ultimate fighting a couple months back, so I don't know any of the fighters by name at all. There's so freakin many of them. It's a lot of fun to watch. I'm looking forward to the fight. Anytime there's freebie fights on, you can count me in.

Are you sure they are just showing the one fight on Fox? That'd be interesting to know - I poked around and saw the undercard was on fox sports and on the web, but usually they put the final handful of fights on in one broadcast. Seems silly to do a big production for just one fight. Either way, I'll be watching and forgetting everyone's name, as usual.

The last couple of UFC cards I've seen have been really really good (including the one last week overseas). Lots of real tough fighters and strong sportsmanship. Hopefully this weekend will be every bit as exciting to watch.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 10, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

So it turns out that they're only showing the one fight on FOX. Not sure that that makes any sense, but the rest is being streamed for free on Facebook.

Boo!  I was hoping for a quick stoppage and then being able to see the Guida vs Henderson fight.  That fight is more interesting to me than the title fight.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »

Quote from: Owain on November 10, 2011, 06:34:59 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 10, 2011, 05:32:49 PM

Boo!  I was hoping for a quick stoppage and then being able to see the Guida vs Henderson fight.  That fight is more interesting to me than the title fight.

Guida is so fun to watch.  icon_biggrin
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »

Well that was quick.

Was hoping for a longer fight.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:51:51 PM »

Im guessing the long time between fights hurt Velasquez.   I don't remember him looking that soft around the middle against Lesnar but I could be wrong.  What's more impressive is Dos Santos had a knee injury 11 days before the fight and was trying to rehab it right up until fight time. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »

I can't imagine that quick of a fight was good for the UFC on their first prime time outing. I wonder why DW only went with one fight on the card, instead of at least throwing in a one fight undercard?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »

I didn't get the one fight thing either.  They had a full undercard that was shown on facebook and foxsports.com.  I think they should have showed the Henderson/Guida fight as well.   When you have guys with one punch knockout ability, there is always a chance of a quick fight.  I'm not sure this won over any new fans.  Either way, I'm glad to get some free fights.  I don't think they will make the same mistake twice.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »

Yea....an hour long MMA show,,,,,,,,with 64 seconds of actual fighting.......not good publicity at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: