http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:29:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UFC 61 - Bitter Dissapointment  (Read 1066 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2006, 11:48:20 PM »

Had a big party last night for UFC 61, my birthday, and my graduation.  The party was great, but the fights were dissapointing.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shamrock got his ass handed to him in less than 2 minutes, yet still managed to look surprised.  We'll see a rematch...

and then

Spoiler for Hiden:
Arlovsky couldn't get his lucky shot in on Silvia, so they bloodied eachother up for 5 not-so-excitement-packed rounds.  Who knows if we'll see a rematch there.

I do think that the first fight of night was the most carnal fight I've seen in a long time.  Nobody lost an ear, but man there was a lot of blood...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:06:34 AM »

I saw the Shamrock/Ortiz fight and had a nice little laugh over how terrible it was.  From what I have heard the only good news to come out of this PPV was the announcement of Wanderlei Silva vs Chuck Liddell.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:25:55 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I saw the Shamrock/Ortiz fight and had a nice little laugh over how terrible it was.  From what I have heard the only good news to come out of this PPV was the announcement of Wanderlei Silva vs Chuck Liddell.

Pretty much.  Even Dana said "Hey, I know you guys are pretty pissed off right now..." after the Tito/Shammy debacle.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:56:14 AM »

Yep, Ortiz/Shamrock when pretty much how I expected it to go.  I figured 1:30 or so.  I knew Ortiz would come out firing shots.  Even though the crowd was pissed, it was a good stopage.  I just wonder how much excitement a third fight would generate since the first 2 were totally 1 sided.  

The heavyweight title fight was a snoozer.   Andrei I thought had a good idea kicking at the leg of Silvia in the first round, but then he abandoned it.   Not sure why the change in strategy there..

-dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 07:15:11 AM »

I was really choked that I missed the fights at the time (something to do with a drink or two, if I remember correctly), but hearing about the fights this morning from a buddy, I'm not so sad I missed them now. He said that the Ortiz/Shamrock stoppage was questionable though. Any thoughts?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:21:20 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I was really choked that I missed the fights at the time (something to do with a drink or two, if I remember correctly), but hearing about the fights this morning from a buddy, I'm not so sad I missed them now. He said that the Ortiz/Shamrock stoppage was questionable though. Any thoughts?

Well, Tito did hit him in the face five times with an elbow and he didn't have his hands up to defend.  I think Big John Macarthy would have let them go a little longer, but I think it was at least a 'valid' stoppage.  Personally?  I'd have let them pummel eachother for a good while.  They need to get their aggression out or get a room.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 01:37:59 PM »

Don't see why anybody would really be surpised at the fight. Tito is a really good fighter when he takes things seriously, and Shamrock is just flat out too old to compete against the top guys and has been that way for awhile. After the Franklin fight it was obvious. Maybe Shamrock wasn't totally out of it at the time of the stoppage but I don't see if Dean had allowed it to keep going how it wouldn't of been Tito just doing more of the same.

For me the dissapointment was the other fight.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
For me the dissapointment was the other fight.

Pretty much.

Shamrock was going to get stopped anyway... he was completely out of it and was not defending himself at all.  I would have liked to see Tito pound him some more, but oh well.

The "main event" itself was a total waste and bore.  I used to enjoy Andrei... not so much anymore.

I did find it amusing, however, that all of the highlights of the night (Knockout, Submission) were during fights that WERE NOT TELEVISED.

Lovely.

gellar
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 05:38:39 PM »

Vids on youtube. Yeah, I know nothing about UFC, but it looked premature. Shamrock wasn't limp or anything he just hadn't gotten his arm back yet...you can tell by how quickly he got up that he wasn't out of it... Oh well.

I'd equate it to the old WWF days where two huge stars were gonna fight only to have someone run out frmo the dressring room to result in a DQ.. frown
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 05:39:17 PM »

Silva vs Liddell is a horrible matchup for silva

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 05:50:33 PM »

Just saw the You Tube clip of the Tito/Shamrock fight ... still a little uneasy with the stoppage. Those were mean elbows, though, and I think they would have kept going and going and going. The first one was a real stunner, and Tito just went to town afterwards. Tito only got five in because McCarthy had to put an end to them, so I guess I can agree with the call. Yeah, Tito was probably unstoppable by that point. I just wish it had been a little more decisive, because it could have gone just a touch further still without doing any major damage to Shamrock.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 06:26:04 PM »

Just watched the first Ortiz/Shamrock fight on youtube. Shamrock got killed.  Probably would have been the same result had this fight progressed.

Who were the combatants in that grueling fight KD was talking about? I wanna see if it's up.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 07:04:59 PM »

I watched the clip over again, and it's actually a really good call, in my opinion. Shamrock was toast, and Ortiz was just warming up. The first and the second elbows were devestating - Shamrock was just in the line of fire at that point.

I want to see the first fight too. My buddy said it was bloodier than the Bonner/Griffin Season One Finale.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »

I just watched it as well, rather disapointing if not expected outcome. I tried to watch the Silva fight and I couldn't sit through 5 rounds of that. So were there any good fights?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: