http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 05:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UFC 100: GSP vs Alves, Lesnar vs Mir  (Read 3192 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »

At long last the two heavyweight titles in UFC will be unified as Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir head into the ring once again.

I think Lesnar is an absolute beast, but I'm really hoping Mir wins the title and I think he will. He absolutely destroyed an aging Minatauro (though apparently he had a staph infection) and hopefully his striking will be as precise as it was in that fight. I don't know that Lesnar will stand up with Mir though and that could be bad for him too as Mir may get the submission like he did in their first fight.  I can easily see either fighter winning, but I think if Mir survives the first onslaught, he'll take the fight.  I'm going to say submission in the 2nd round as Lesnar tires.

The other mega fight is Georges St. Pierre vs Thiago Alves. As a relative n00b to mma, I'm not really familiar with either fighter. The only GSP fights I've seen are where he lost to Serra and where he overwhelmed Serra in the rematch. I know he's very highly rated in the P4P rankings.  Beyond that not much. I know even less about Thiago Alves. I can't pick a winner in this fight, but from what little I know it should be a clinic of MMA skill on display.

The rest of the card is pretty solid from what I can tell too. There's a couple of recognizable names to me, but many of them are new faces AFAIC.

Can't wait to see how it goes....in any event, this is all prologue to the Emelianenko/Barnett fight in early August.  icon_cool thumbsup
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:14:27 PM »

There are definitely some good fights on that card.  I like Mir over Lesnar, but Lesnar is tough and it could go either way.  I'm still unhappy they gave Lesnar a title shot when he was 2-1.  I know they wanted to hype their new guy, but it really made a joke of their title when a 2-1 gets to fight for the belt.

GSP is an incredible fighter.  He lost to Matt Hughes when Hughes was at the top of his game.  Since then he's looked great with the exception of the Serra fight.  He just looked off in that fight.  I don't know if he didn't take it seriously or if there was something wrong with him (other than Serra punching him in the face   icon_biggrin).  I see GSP winning this one.

I haven't seen Dan Henderson fight in awhile, but I hope he has enough left to beat Bisping.  I liked Bisping when he was a competitor on The Ultimate Fighter, but he's really become an arrogant ass.  Hopefully Henderson takes it to him.

I've always liked Mark Coleman.  He was one of the guys that showed that a well-rounded game is required to fight at this level.  I see him beating the crap out of Stephan Bonner. 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »

Lettuce, how can UFC 100, which is possibly the biggest MMA event EVER, be a prologue to anything else?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 07, 2009, 02:44:43 PM

Lettuce, how can UFC 100, which is possibly the biggest MMA event EVER, be a prologue to anything else?

Because Emelianenko is the concensus number one heavyweight in the world as well as the concensus number one P4P MMA fighter in the world...many hail him as the greatest of all time- as except for a questionable tko loss for a cut, he's undefeated and he's handily knocked off many of the biggest names in MMA, UFC or otherwise.

He's facing the concensus #2 heavyweight in the world.   It's gonna be something.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »

Gotta love GSP. Fellow canuck. All round nice guy........till he hits the ring. One thing you know for sure is that you're going to get 100% from GSP every fight.
Incredible training ethic and he carries that into the ring.
He's in tough though with this guy. Should be a classic.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 07, 2009, 04:58:32 PM

Because Emelianenko is the concensus number one heavyweight in the world as well as the concensus number one P4P MMA fighter in the world...many hail him as the greatest of all time- as except for a questionable tko loss for a cut, he's undefeated and he's handily knocked off many of the biggest names in MMA, UFC or otherwise.

He's facing the concensus #2 heavyweight in the world.   It's gonna be something.

You're still trying to say that the entire biggest MMA show, EVER, is a prologue to a SINGLE FIGHT.  Do you realize how silly that is?

retard

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:12:29 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 07, 2009, 05:47:46 PM

You're still trying to say that the entire biggest MMA show, EVER, is a prologue to a SINGLE FIGHT.  Do you realize how silly that is?

retard

Not at all actually. As the biggest fight of the year is bigger than the 'biggest event' comprised of lesser fights.  Lesnar and Mir aren't even in the same category is Fedor (although Mir would be closer). And arguably the fight between Evans and Machida was significantly bigger than GSP vs Alves.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 07, 2009, 06:12:29 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on July 07, 2009, 05:47:46 PM

retard

Not at all actually. As the biggest fight of the year is bigger than the 'biggest event' comprised of lesser fights.  Lesnar and Mir aren't even in the same category is Fedor (although Mir would be closer). And arguably the fight between Evans and Machida was significantly bigger than GSP vs Alves.

You can keep thinking that all you want.  Your opinion is still incorrect.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50:30 AM »

1) It's consensus.
2) Barnett is the consensus #2?  I'm now not sure you know what consensus means, which explains your inability to spell it.  He's arguably top 5.  Mir would destroy him, Nogueira's already beaten him, and I'm reasonably certain Lesnar would fuck him up too.
3) It's heavyweights - no one cares anyway cause there are exactly four worth a crap in the world.
4) GSP OR Alves fighting a tree would be more entertaining than Mir/Lesnar OR Fedor/Barnett.
5) People Fedor has not beaten: 1) Frank Mir, 2) Brock Lesnar, 3) Randy Couture - meaning he hasn't beaten anyone worth a crap since Nogueira or CroCop since 2005.  People Fedor has beaten recently: Tim 'I'm gigantically fat' Sylvia and Andrei 'Glass Josef' Arlovski.

gellar
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 03:07:35 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 08, 2009, 01:50:30 AM

2) Barnett is the consensus #2?  I'm now not sure you know what consensus means, which explains your inability to spell it.  He's arguably top 5. 
gellar

ORLY?

http://zewkey.com/rankingstest.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/rankings.htm

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-18004

http://www.mmaringreport.com/mma-rankings/mma-heavyweight-rankings/mma-heavyweight-rankings-march-2009.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/josh_gross/06/23/rankings/index.html

http://mmarankings.lesnar-brock.com/

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/heavyweight-265-lbs/   5th

http://www.mmanews.com/page.php?page=rankings

http://www.examiner.com/x-902-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Examiner~y2009m6d20-Examinercoms-official-MMA-rankings-debut

http://www.zimbio.com/Ultimate+Fighting+Championship/articles/0SdgWMsD2Vi/Inaugural+Independent+World+MMA+Rankings+Released

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/topten.asp?articleid=16&zoneid=15

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:59 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 08, 2009, 03:07:35 AM

Wow.

A weight class in which an old man who got stomped by his last opponent (Nog), a 3-1 fighter, and a fighter who to my recollection has not fought in over 2 years (The Natural) are still in the top FIVE proves my point:  the heavyweight division is total suck.  Hell, those lists have Brett Rogers and Arlovski in them.  I can't imagine how anyone can get hyped for those fights.  They are generally terrible.

gellar
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 08, 2009, 03:34:59 AM

A weight class in which an old man who got stomped by his last opponent (Nog), a 3-1 fighter, and a fighter who to my recollection has not fought in over 2 years (The Natural) are still in the top FIVE proves my point:  the heavyweight division is total suck.  gellar

I won't disagree that it's not as deep as some of the other classes (especially light heavy and welterweight). 

Just FYI:  Couture fought lesner about 6 months ago and lost his title to him. He's fighting Minotauro at UFC 101(? or some other event in the near future).
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »

What about the rest of gellar's points?

heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »

2) Barnett is the consensus #2?  I'm now not sure you know what consensus means, which explains your inability to spell it.  He's arguably top 5.  Mir would destroy him, Nogueira's already beaten him, and I'm reasonably certain Lesnar would fuck him up too.

Josh Barnett is bigger, stronger, and about as talented a grappler as there is in MMA. I'm not exactly sure how one could arrive at the conclusion that Frank Mir would "destroy" him. I don't even think he would beat him. Maybe in a Jiu Jitsu tournament...

3) It's heavyweights - no one cares anyway cause there are exactly four worth a crap in the world.

And what four are those?

There are a number of up and comers that should interest you. Guys like Cain Valasquez, Junior Dos Santos, and Shane Carwin, for example. Gonzaga is still young but he's well rounded and a real threat to any opponent.

The competition level for GSP, Penn, and Anderson Silva really is not greater than the competition level for the heavyweights (the UFC heavyweights, I mean). I think any of the four heavyweights I mentioned above have at least as good a chance at winning the belt than any lightweight, welterweight, or middleweight with the exception of Alves.

Penn owns the LW division; I would be very surprised if Kenny Florian or Diego Sanchez beat him. Nobody else is even close. Who's going to compete with Georges St. Pierre? Alves is the last real challenge. And who at 185 is going to beat Anderson Silva? Hendo or no one. If Vitor comes back I'd love to see the fight, though.

4) GSP OR Alves fighting a tree would be more entertaining than Mir/Lesnar OR Fedor/Barnett.

No, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

5) People Fedor has not beaten: 1) Frank Mir, 2) Brock Lesnar, 3) Randy Couture - meaning he hasn't beaten anyone worth a crap since Nogueira or CroCop since 2005.  People Fedor has beaten recently: Tim 'I'm gigantically fat' Sylvia and Andrei 'Glass Josef' Arlovski.

People Frank Mir hasn't beaten: Everybody but Brock Lesnar, Nogueira, and Tim Sylvia years ago.
People Brock Lesnar hasn't beaten: Everybody but Gatekeeper Herring and Old Man Couture.
People Randy Couture hasn't beaten: Everybody but Tim Sylvia, Gabriel Gonzaga, and Pedro Rizzo a decade ago.

Don't try to compare Fedor's record to any of the three mentioned above. There is no comparison; he's beaten more legitimate heavyweights than all three of them combined. He destroyed two of the most successful UFC heavyweights back to back and you're talking down about him because of it. What? Did you want him to like, beat both of them at the same time?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:13:41 PM by heloder » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 11:55:44 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 08, 2009, 09:16:53 PM

What about the rest of gellar's points?

See heloder's post.  You know, especially since, as you may recall, I'm admittedly new to MMA.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:58:39 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 02:08:42 AM »

Quote from: heloder on July 08, 2009, 11:11:31 PM

2) Barnett is the consensus #2?  I'm now not sure you know what consensus means, which explains your inability to spell it.  He's arguably top 5.  Mir would destroy him, Nogueira's already beaten him, and I'm reasonably certain Lesnar would fuck him up too.

Josh Barnett is bigger, stronger, and about as talented a grappler as there is in MMA. I'm not exactly sure how one could arrive at the conclusion that Frank Mir would "destroy" him. I don't even think he would beat him. Maybe in a Jiu Jitsu tournament...

Pretty sure they said that same thing about Big Nog (hell, I said the same thing about Big Nog) and Mir did spectacular work on him.

And what four are those?

As of right now?  Fedor, Mir, Lesnar, Barnett.  Big Nog and Couture are pretty much out of the picture.

There are a number of up and comers that should interest you. Guys like Cain Valasquez, Junior Dos Santos, and Shane Carwin, for example. Gonzaga is still young but he's well rounded and a real threat to any opponent.

Agreed - I really rather like most of those guys, particularly Valasquez.  I think the future of the division is quite bright, but right now the 'top' is a bit lacking.

The competition level for GSP, Penn, and Anderson Silva really is not greater than the competition level for the heavyweights (the UFC heavyweights, I mean). I think any of the four heavyweights I mentioned above have at least as good a chance at winning the belt than any lightweight, welterweight, or middleweight with the exception of Alves.

Penn owns the LW division; I would be very surprised if Kenny Florian or Diego Sanchez beat him. Nobody else is even close. Who's going to compete with Georges St. Pierre? Alves is the last real challenge. And who at 185 is going to beat Anderson Silva? Hendo or no one. If Vitor comes back I'd love to see the fight, though.

This is where I disagree a bit.  I think Diego or KenFlo have a decent shot against BJP.  GSP has Alves to deal with, as mentioned, but I'd also love to see the guy fight Shields or Koschek.  Silva dominates his weight class, no doubt.  Regardless, that's not really my point.  I'm saying that dollar for dollar, I'd love to see most fights in ANY other division over a any fight in the heavyweight division.  The fighting there is just not particularly good or entertaining unless you have a strange penchant for really large dudes doing not a lot.

5) People Fedor has not beaten: 1) Frank Mir, 2) Brock Lesnar, 3) Randy Couture - meaning he hasn't beaten anyone worth a crap since Nogueira or CroCop since 2005.  People Fedor has beaten recently: Tim 'I'm gigantically fat' Sylvia and Andrei 'Glass Josef' Arlovski.

People Frank Mir hasn't beaten: Everybody but Brock Lesnar, Nogueira, and Tim Sylvia years ago.
People Brock Lesnar hasn't beaten: Everybody but Gatekeeper Herring and Old Man Couture.
People Randy Couture hasn't beaten: Everybody but Tim Sylvia, Gabriel Gonzaga, and Pedro Rizzo a decade ago.

Don't try to compare Fedor's record to any of the three mentioned above. There is no comparison; he's beaten more legitimate heavyweights than all three of them combined. He destroyed two of the most successful UFC heavyweights back to back and you're talking down about him because of it. What? Did you want him to like, beat both of them at the same time?
[/quote]

Again - not really my point.  Fedor is clearly levels above these guys (as he is Barnett).  That doesn't mean the fight's going to be interesting or entertaining.  My point is that until the new kids start being headlined (and I LOVE Valasquez), that division is just basically dead as far as interesting fights go.  When the best two fights you can put together are Mir/Lesnar and Fedor/Barnett, I just can't get up for that.  For this weekend's fights, I'm far more interested in even the Hendo/Bisping fight than I am Mir/Lesnar.  For Fedor/Barnett, unless that's on free TV, I can't even figure I'll watch that until after the fact.

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 04:47:12 AM »

Lesnar is one bad motherfucker.

Damn.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 04:49:05 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 12, 2009, 04:47:12 AM

Damn.

Yeah you can't deny he's effective, but fuck that's boring to watch.

However Hendo nearly killing Bisping made the entire night totally worth it.

gellar
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 05:11:15 AM »

I can't see Fedor just laying there while the blows rained down or even being in a position to get punched unchanllenged like that. I still think Fedor would take Lesnar...despite his propensity to get cut.  But man. Did Mir get smacked.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:13:16 AM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 05:27:25 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 12, 2009, 04:49:05 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on July 12, 2009, 04:47:12 AM

Damn.

Yeah you can't deny he's effective, but fuck that's boring to watch.

However Hendo nearly killing Bisping made the entire night totally worth it.

gellar

I think it's obvious from Lesnar/Mir II that Lesnar learned his lesson from the first fight.  And, really, Lesnar doesn't give a shit about whether we find the fight boring or otherwise; he's there to win.

Hendo obliterated Bisping.  I'm not sure what was worse: the first punch that knocked Bisping out cold, or the second one delivered while Bisping was out on the mat.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 12, 2009, 05:11:15 AM

I can't see Fedor just laying there while the blows rained down or even being in a position to get punched unchanllenged like that. I still think Fedor would take Lesnar...despite his propensity to get cut.  But man. Did Mir get smacked.

Problem would be the strength Lesner has in his arms. I'm not sure Fedor could manipulate those pistons like he has with others. And if you can't manipulate arms while you're being pounded by two pistons relentlessly, while on your back or stomach,  I'm not sure how long he could hold out. Just my slant.

And yes!!! GSP proved agian why he's the best pound for pound fighter on the planet.

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

I don't know what was more brutal the Bisping knock out or Lesnar pounding Mir's face.  I thought it was a pretty good card. I did think the Belcher  decision was pretty questionable.  I thought he had did enough to win that one. Kind of makes you wonder if the UFC didn't want Akiyama to win that one.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 12, 2009, 05:27:25 AM

Hendo obliterated Bisping.  I'm not sure what was worse: the first punch that knocked Bisping out cold, or the second one delivered while Bisping was out on the mat.

While I'm not much of a fight fan, whether it be boxing, MMA, etc, after reading about Henderson's victory I had to check out the replay on Youtube.

icon_eek

I also watched the Lesnar/Mir finish and Lesnar just unloaded on Mir's face.  No wonder Mir was a bit "unhappy" when he regained his feet.  At first I questioned whether Lesnar could succeed in MMA and thought he was making a bad decision, but so far I'd say he looks like the real-deal.  While his style may not have a lot of "flair", he certainly is effective.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 12, 2009, 12:25:08 PM

Problem would be the strength Lesner has in his arms. I'm not sure Fedor could manipulate those pistons like he has with others. And if you can't manipulate arms while you're being pounded by two pistons relentlessly, while on your back or stomach,  I'm not sure how long he could hold out. Just my slant.

I'm pretty sure that Fedor would have been far more active in trying to get submissions than Mir was. He's also consumately comfortable on his back. I just can't see Lesnar withstanding Fedor's whole bag of tricks.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 01:43:19 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 13, 2009, 01:35:04 AM

Quote from: Arclight on July 12, 2009, 12:25:08 PM

I'm pretty sure that Fedor would have been far more active in trying to get submissions than Mir was. He's also consumately comfortable on his back. I just can't see Lesnar withstanding Fedor's whole bag of tricks.

Did you see the insane wrist control Lesnar had the entire first round?  Mir was fighting with one arm that entire round.  I think Fedor's gotta keep that fight standing (and I think he will - if it happens).

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 02:09:07 AM »

It will take a miracle for Lesnar vs. Fedor to ever happen.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:48 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 13, 2009, 02:09:07 AM

You're absolutely right.  crybaby
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 04:12:29 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 13, 2009, 03:44:48 AM

You're absolutely right.  crybaby

My hope is all sides get together and realize how much money there would be in making it happen.  Fedor's on the last fight of his current contract, so there's at least a chance.

gellar
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 04:41:30 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 13, 2009, 04:12:29 AM

My hope is all sides get together and realize how much money there would be in making it happen.  Fedor's on the last fight of his current contract, so there's at least a chance.

gellar

Dana White will throw whatever money is needed his way to make it happen, so it will all come down to if Fedor wants to make less money and stay where he is.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on July 13, 2009, 04:41:30 AM

Quote from: gellar on July 13, 2009, 04:12:29 AM

gellar

Dana White will throw whatever money is needed his way to make it happen, so it will all come down to if Fedor wants to make less money and stay where he is.

True, but I believe his management has said he's not interested in signing multi-fight deals with the UFC. Maybe that's just a public bargaining ploy though.  Also, he's not getting any younger and he's got a lot of mileage on him so maybe he'd jump at a huge payday and a march on the UFC title to close out his career.

Also from some of the stuff I've read, the concern would be that Fedor would come in and knock apart all of White's vaunted heavyweights. But if he was under contract, I don't know how that would be a bad thing- look at GSP and Anderson Silva....also many are expecting Machida to dominate LH for a while...(though I think Rampage would have taken him). 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »

Just read this at si:

"Eventually Fedor is going to be here," said White. "I want Fedor. I want Fedor to come to the UFC. We'll get the deal done and we'll get Brock vs. Fedor and it will be a huge fight.""

If that happens imagine how big of a fight this would be. Nice guy and best fighter in the world Fedor vs 'heel' and schmuck beast Lesnar.  Biggest draw in MMA history without question.   drool drool drool

Assuming Fedor gets passed Barnett.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »

I just heard what an ass Lesnar was after the fight. White calls him out on the carpet then Lesnar apoligizes. I hope that will be the end of that kind of crap.

As far as a Fedor-Lesnar fight. I think it could look alot like the Mir-Lesnar fight. Fedor should keep it standing. Mir is a better ju-jitsu man than Fedor so we could see more ground and pound if it goes to the mat.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 12:58:59 AM »

Quote from: mori on July 13, 2009, 09:22:48 PM

I just heard what an ass Lesnar was after the fight. White calls him out on the carpet then Lesnar apoligizes. I hope that will be the end of that kind of crap.

As far as a Fedor-Lesnar fight. I think it could look alot like the Mir-Lesnar fight. Fedor should keep it standing. Mir is a better ju-jitsu man than Fedor so we could see more ground and pound if it goes to the mat.

I don't know that Mir's submission games is as good as Fedor's.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 01:12:24 AM »

GSP FTW and GPS FNGL (For Not Getting Lost)!  icon_twisted
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 02:17:53 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 14, 2009, 12:58:59 AM

I don't know that Mir's submission games is as good as Fedor's.

They are probably pretty close to equal.  Fedor's standup is CONSIDERABLY better though.  He should keep it standing.

gellar
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure Dana's problem was with Lesnar's comments towards UFC's biggest sponsor Bud Light and that he could care less about anything else he said.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »

I never got into UFC but with the hype surrounding UFC 100 I thought it would be a good time to dive in and see what the fuss is about. So I bring up the ordering menu through my cable box and....WTF??? $50 for a 3 hour event? That has to be a mistake, right? I was expecting $15-$20 at the most. So I said 'eff that and rented a movie for $4.28 instead.

Given that I have no intention of dropping $50 on a TV show and don't have any friends remotely interested in UFC to split the cost with, it looks like I'll never get the chance to find out if I like it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:20:52 PM by JayDee » Logged
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »

Quote from: Owain on July 14, 2009, 01:16:43 PM

I'm pretty sure Dana's problem was with Lesnar's comments towards UFC's biggest sponsor Bud Light and that he could care less about anything else he said.
Yeah and who really knows? That in and of itself could have been staged. We all know Dana has an ego as big as lesner's forearms. So to be able to "tame" the beast would make him look good and add some side-show publicity to the UFC. I'm such a cynic when it comes to things like this.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 03:03:26 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on July 14, 2009, 01:19:15 PM

Given that I have no intention of dropping $50 on a TV show and don't have any friends remotely interested in UFC to split the cost with, it looks like I'll never get the chance to find out if I like it.

Hey JayDee- If you have any passing interest in some of the bigger fights, they're almost all available online somewhere. I've been watching them over time and the sport is really growing on me.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 14, 2009, 03:03:26 PM

Quote from: JayDee on July 14, 2009, 01:19:15 PM

Hey JayDee- If you have any passing interest in some of the bigger fights, they're almost all available online somewhere. I've been watching them over time and the sport is really growing on me.

Hm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: