http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Show Torrents  (Read 2735 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2004, 04:48:18 AM »

So, my dad was supposed to record Smallville tonight but doesn't quiet know how to work their new VCR and he missed it.  I searched for a torrent of tonights episode and found this site:

http://www.freewareweb.com/smvtorrents.shtml

I also got an apprentice episode from there before and it works like a charm.  Just thought you all would be interested.

If this isn't appropriate, let me know and I'll get ride of it smile

Wake up.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 04:53:30 AM »

Thnx Ill try it out. I dload Enterprise off Kazaa because my local cable dropped UPN after the first season.

After looking closer at that site...is there a way to search for shows other than Smallville?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:03:42 AM »

Is this legal?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 05:42:39 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Thnx Ill try it out. I dload Enterprise off Kazaa because my local cable dropped UPN after the first season.

After looking closer at that site...is there a way to search for shows other than Smallville?

I have no idea.

Here is the link to apprentice episodes in case you're interested:

http://www.freewareweb.com/apprenticetorrents.shtml

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 05:44:15 AM »

And here is The OC.

http://www.freewareweb.com/octorrents.shtml

&

http://www.freewareweb.com/24torrents.shtml

*Tip, to search, just do a google search for the "Name of Show Episode Download", and look for a freewareweb link.

Wake up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 06:51:48 AM »

Quote from: "Falator"
Is this legal?

From what I know (as I'm no lawyer), TV shows are in the gray area right now. It's basically like recording a VHS tape of the show and giving it to a friend.

However, if the show in question isn't on the air anymore, and if the show is available for purchase otherwise, the legality of the whole thing is highly questionable.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 01:03:18 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Falator"
Is this legal?

From what I know (as I'm no lawyer), TV shows are in the gray area right now. It's basically like recording a VHS tape of the show and giving it to a friend.

However, if the show in question isn't on the air anymore, and if the show is available for purchase otherwise, the legality of the whole thing is highly questionable.

Something like that.
Downloading a tv show that you can watch anyway seems to be legal. So: say you have HBO, you can download the Sopranos, because you could have watched it anyway. If you don't get HBO, you're not allowed to download the Sopranos: you didn't pay for it.

Problem with bittorrents however is that you're ALWAYS sharing. And that's what's illegal, I think.

So, downloading through kazaa with sharing disabled is allowed, downloading through bittorrent seems to be illegal. That being said, I do it as well, because I actually enjoy watching stuff on my pc MUCH more than on the commercial-ridden actual tv smile

HELLO!
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 01:39:22 PM »

What's a torrent?  I keep seeing reference to bittorents as well.  I guess in my old age of 30 I can't keep up with all the fancy new stuff.

Pig
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 02:09:37 PM »

Quote from: "Bulletpig"
What's a torrent?  I keep seeing reference to bittorents as well.  I guess in my old age of 30 I can't keep up with all the fancy new stuff.

Pig

Well, at my old age I can't figure if you're being serious here or not..but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt :wink:

A torrent is a small piece of a file that lets you connect with others who have the other pieces of that whole file.

It makes for fast downloading, because the more people sharing thier files means more "highway" room.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
howie549
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 03:15:33 PM »

i think, speaking for some of us here, do not even know where to begin to obtain and share torrents.  if someone here could point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.  

do they make a "bittorrent for dummies?"  :roll:
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 04:05:29 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"

Pig

Well, at my old age I can't figure if you're being serious here or not..but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt :wink:

A torrent is a small piece of a file that lets you connect with others who have the other pieces of that whole file.

It makes for fast downloading, because the more people sharing thier files means more "highway" room.

I was being serious.  I just kept seeing mentions of this lately and instead of just wondering decided to ask.  Thanks for the explaination.

Pig
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 04:26:58 PM »

You can go here for all the answers to any of your P2P (peer to peer) questions.

www.zeropaid.com/

Let me know if you have any questions that aren't answered there.

Wake up.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 04:57:32 PM »

Pig

I don't think that's true. The torrent file (.torrent) is a file that basically points you in the correct location to get the actual file you want to download. Torrent files are usually really small (anywhere from 2 kb to the largest one I've seen: 600 kb, but that was for a full season worth of Scrubs).

I'd like to recommend ABC as a bittorrent client. It's really good.

HELLO!
howie549
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 05:25:46 PM »

do you have a link?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 05:29:44 PM »

Quote from: "howie549"
i think, speaking for some of us here, do not even know where to begin to obtain and share torrents.  if someone here could point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.  

The whole unfortunate reason as to why you won't see any links is that the majority of people use BitTorrent to distribue things that are far from legal. Thus, any site that lists Torrents tends to violate our policy of piracy and posting links to it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 05:40:36 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

The whole unfortunate reason as to why you won't see any links is that the majority of people use BitTorrent to distribue things that are far from legal. Thus, any site that lists Torrents tends to violate our policy of piracy and posting links to it.

Blizzard seems to have used a modified bt client to host their wow dl. 3dgamers (one of my favorite demo/patch dl sites) also has some bt dls for for all of their dls.

BT is cool stuff. A way to get fast dls without having to provide all of the power yourself. I think in the future we will see a lot more people using it.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 06:55:12 PM »

Napolean,
wouldn't it point you in the direction of everyone who might have the file?

And then you grab different pieces of it, whether theirs is complete or not.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 07:11:06 PM »

Napolean,

It directs the client to users who are sharing the file (seeding), and allows you to pull from each of them at once.  The torrent file isn't a small part of the file you're trying to download though.

Wake up.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 09:50:15 PM »

I thought seeders didn't have the complete file?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 11:59:28 PM »

Seeders are the only ones who DO have the complete file.  Leeches do not have the whole thing ... yet.

My favorite tv torrents are at http://www.tvtorrents.net
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 01:21:18 AM »

do you have a link?

Here ya go...
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 02:32:44 AM »

Does anybody have a Linsys router?  I have tried doing all the port-forwarding stuff but it never works out for me.  Thus I have to run my box in a DMZ, which isn't something I'm too thrilled with.

I have the most common model, the BEFSR11.

I am by no means a computer n00b, but I am baffled as to why it doesn't seem to work correctly when I try to enable the proper port forwarding.

I am trying to ensure my connection is green rather than yellow, which I can currently only do by setting up a DMZ.  I know you can do this by forwarding specified ports but I haven't had any luck.  Any help would be appreciated!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 04:17:45 AM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Napolean,

It directs the client to users who are sharing the file (seeding), and allows you to pull from each of them at once.  The torrent file isn't a small part of the file you're trying to download though.

Exactly, that's what I meant.

That was just a technical remark btw, practically it doesn't matter much.
I, btw, think the bittorrent protocol is incredibly cool.

HELLO!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 02:42:59 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Does anybody have a Linsys router?  I have tried doing all the port-forwarding stuff but it never works out for me.  Thus I have to run my box in a DMZ, which isn't something I'm too thrilled with.

I have one.  I just followed the directions on forwarding the ports and it worked like a charm.  Not sure what could b ewrong with yours.

Wake up.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 02:49:27 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I am trying to ensure my connection is green rather than yellow, which I can currently only do by setting up a DMZ.  I know you can do this by forwarding specified ports but I haven't had any luck.  Any help would be appreciated!

I advise running in dmz, because you forfeit the little protection provided by the router.  Unless you also have software firewalls running on all the connecting client computers, this is a Very Bad Thing (tm).

If having the connection come up yellow doesnt effect your download speed, you shouldnt worry about it.  You could also see if there is a newer version of firmware for the router, and/or if it takes p2p programs into consideration in the firewall config.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 03:49:07 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I advise running in dmz, because you forfeit the little protection provided by the router.  Unless you also have software firewalls running on all the connecting client computers, this is a Very Bad Thing (tm).

You don't advise him to run in dmz correct?  Just want to clarify.  The hardware protection provided by a router is much better than a software solution.

Wake up.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 11:23:37 PM »

About port forwarding:  For me, with Netgear, I log into my router setup page and check for 'attached devices'.  I note the number that's given to me for my local address, usually something like 192.168.0.2

This is important, because when forwarding ports, you have to list that number correctly. Sometimes I notice my router switches numbers on me and instead of 0.2 I might be 0.3 this time.  In the port forwarding section, I always check(when I'm stuck in yellow) that the correct local address is the one being forwarded.  

Also, for bitTornado at least, I just forward a range of ports, not one at a time.  For instance, if your client uses 5881-5889, use one entry of 5881-5889, not 5881 then another for 5882 and another for 5883 and so on.

Hope that helps.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2004, 04:14:13 AM »

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I'm going to find a good client (upgraded my machine so I don't have one installed) and give it a go.

As for the DMZ: I know the DMZ is a VBT, which is why I am trying to get the port-forwarding worked out correctly.  I don't have a software firewall running ATM, so I want to avoid it.  biggrin

I'm now browsing the reccomendations here for a good client.  I had good luck with ABC in the past, but will look at the others.

Thanks again!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2004, 04:46:56 AM »

You bastards.

I'm now a torrent whore.  I haven't slept...must keep downloading.

Pig
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2004, 02:13:53 PM »

You will be always looking for your next fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: