http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 08:07:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkey day prep....anyone else in my boat?  (Read 491 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:46:23 PM »

I bet im not alone in this but this is the first year that ill be making Thanksgiving dinner. Family has always made it for me before. But all my family is dead and gone. My father-n-law died this Jan. So now its up to me. Take pity on not only me but those who must eat what I prepare lol.

Ive read up on everything on the web....many times hehe. I think Im ready. I think the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and mac and cheese will be a snap...its the giblet gravy that worries me. I dont have any of the fancy ingreadiants Ive seen online so Im going to have to wing it with flour, chicken broth, and the giblets.

Tonight I prep everything I think Ill need. Im going to wash all the pots and silverware and set them out to be ready. I want to have enough pots and stuff so im not washing and rewashing during the cooking. My plan is to start the turkey then an hour or so before its done I start the giblet gravy, next comes the easy and fast stuff,...potatoes followed by the mac and then the stuffing.

If I make something bad then thats ok..it is my first time after all. I just hope I dont make anyone sick with bacteria thats my worst fear. Im being very careful but ya never know.

Wish me and those who eat here luck hehe.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:28:15 AM »

My Thanksgiving meal is already prepared as the wife and I went to one of those Pass Your Plate places where you put together whole meals, take them home, freeze them and then pull em out and heat em up when ready.  Got the whole spread ready a week ago and now just have to heat it up. 

Couldn't be easier.  Highly recommend those places by the way.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »

I cooked a small thanksgiving dinner a few days ago for my direct family, it was easy.  Tomorrow we are going to my wifes parents for the full kit, I won't be cooking anything except for my famous corn bread, and I will do that in the morning.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 01:31:01 AM »

get rid of that damned mac and cheese and replace it with something good like green beans and fatback, or green bean casserole or Sweet Potato Casserole or just about any vegetable and fat back. You can eat mac and cheese any day of the year, but it's freaking Thanksgiving, go for broke and make something crazy.

here's my family's basic Thanksgiving. Who knows what else will show up on the table because Anyone is libel to bring extra:

Big Old Bird-Cara, probably rubbed with something yummy and good

2 fried Turkey Boobs-Ed & Irene

Gravy-Cara

Stuffing-Irene

Wedding Soup-Cara

Real Mashed Potatoes-Cara

Sweet Potato Casserole-Marie

Corn Bread Casserole-Marie

Peas and/or Asparagas-Jeanne.. and possibly and appetizer.. like nut free Chex Mix.. (hint hint)

Rolls -Diana

Green Bean Casserole-Diana

Sweet Potato corn bread-Paul & Carrie

No-bake Cookies-Paul & Carrie

Cranberry Relish and Canberry Sauce-Andrew

Pies: Pumpkin, Apple & Pecan ( if that is okay)-Linda

Pound Cake-Irene

Beverages: People are welcome to bring Wine, BYOB etc.. I will have Water , Coffee and small juice boxes for the kiddos ...

Normally if my Dad's side of the family shows up, we end up with a table full of Anti-past, with pigs feet, herring, anchovies, lots of dried italian meats and cheeses etc. It's great fun, but I prefer to save the anti-past for Christmas and New Years and make Thanksgiving a little more traditional and old fashioned, which means ixnay the mac and cheese!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:46:59 AM »

My family is having homemade lasagna for Thanksgiving.

Down with turkey!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 03:49:00 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 23, 2006, 01:31:01 AM

get rid of that damned mac and cheese and replace it with something good like green beans and fatback

Now you are talkin'.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 04:32:42 AM »

For the first time, I'm going to try to deep fry my turkey.  Pray for me  :icon_confused:

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: