http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 01:04:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tropic Thunder  (Read 5933 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 07:32:18 PM »

I went and saw it last night.

It was really good, not great mind you, but definitely really good.

The song "Low" will never be the same for me though
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »

I thought it was one of Stiller's best.  Downey just stole the film. 

I'm rapidly reaching my maximum jack black capacity but he toned it down enough in this one to actually show he can do more than just mug for the camera constantly.

danny mcbride is rapidly becoming one of my favorite character comics. 

the only thing i disliked was the little kid.  that just annoyed me.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »

Saw it yesterday. Loved it. It falls just shy of greatness, but it's still a really good time. The only thing I regret is that I had seen so many trailers, TV spots, interviews, previews, etc. that a lot of the jokes and surprises I had already spoiled for myself. I still laughed my ass off all the way through, however.

And seriously, could Robert Downey Jr's stock get any higher right now? He was amazing.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 04:19:42 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 18, 2008, 03:55:17 PM

Saw it yesterday. Loved it. It falls just shy of greatness, but it's still a really good time. The only thing I regret is that I had seen so many trailers, TV spots, interviews, previews, etc. that a lot of the jokes and surprises I had already spoiled for myself. I still laughed my ass off all the way through, however.

And seriously, could Robert Downey Jr's stock get any higher right now? He was amazing.

Agreed.

I have to say that the scene where they're all sitting around the campfire, and Jack Black is tied up to the tree, was one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a very long time.

"Did you just say Lance?"
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on August 19, 2008, 04:19:42 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on August 18, 2008, 03:55:17 PM

Agreed.

I have to say that the scene where they're all sitting around the campfire, and Jack Black is tied up to the tree, was one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a very long time.

"Did you just say Lance?"

Yeah, the timing of Jack Black's line after the Lance exchange is fuckin' perfect.  I was dyin'.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »

Best scene of the movie was when they were discussing 'going full on retarded.'  Gold.

gellar
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »

One of the things I laughed at the hardest was just the look that RDJ gave Alpa at one point... I wish I could remember the dialog... something about knowing who he was...
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

One of the things I laughed at the hardest was just the look that RDJ gave Alpa at one point... I wish I could remember the dialog... something about knowing who he was...

I know exactly what you're talking about. He had this crazy out of place smile on his face while he was talking. It made the dialogue 10X funnier. Just another example of what Downey Jr. brought to the role.

What's really funny is that I read an interview with him in Rolling Stone and he comes across sounding *exactly* like one of those insane method actors he portrayed in the movie. All that intellectual mumbo jumbo about acting he talks about in the film could seriously have been his own words.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2008, 07:18:03 PM »

The "lead farmer" line from RDJ was insanity...the clips of him on the rain of madness site are equally nuts...check ou tthe ones with him in the room  with the family...ridiculous...

http://rainofmadness.com
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »

Saw it, absolutely loved it!  I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's type of humor though, and I think it will end up being fairly polarized as to how people react.

I can definitely see watching this again and again just for some scenes.  I thought RDJ was absolutely awesome, and ironically (or not) I seriously felt it was an Oscar worthy performance.

My personal favorite line:  "I don't read the script - the script reads me." 
Fellstrike
Gaming Trend Reader

Pimp Walking Amongst Mere Hoes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:59 AM »

ahh sry.
anyways, i still need to see it, heard from everyone it was great!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:21:55 PM by Fellstrike » Logged

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »

Quote from: Fellstrike on August 26, 2008, 05:48:59 AM

if only this still worked ... it was up the other day but didn't have time to watch it *sigh*

wait..did you just post a pirate warez video site link?   icon_eek

who wants to take up a collection for KD's legal fund?   icon_lol

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:10:56 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2008, 07:13:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 26, 2008, 07:05:27 PM

Quote from: Fellstrike on August 26, 2008, 05:48:59 AM

if only this still worked ... it was up the other day but didn't have time to watch it *sigh*

wait..did you just post a pirate warez video site link?   icon_eek

who wants to take up a collection for KD's legal fund?   icon_lol

Yeah...WTF?   RTFM!

Piracy/Warez
Do not post links to piracy or warez websites or mention where or how people can do such things.  Even cleverly or creatively letting people know where to go is not permitted. We depend on our relationships with developers and publishers to make our website successful.  Do not post something that might jeopardize this.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »

Saw the movie and was surprised that I liked it alot - there are individual scenes and performances (esp. by that dude playing another dude playing a dude) that were outstanding. I'll get the DVD when it's available just for those moments.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 04:34:15 AM »

holy hell...they released the full mockumentary for "Rain of Madness" today on itunes...i thought the clips were funny on the site, but i wasnt sure they made an actual documentary out of it...

this is just an extra bonus after seeing a killer movie...almost makes me want to see it again now..
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 10:20:02 PM »

After consistently finding the "what do you mean 'you people'" exchange funny each and every time we see it, especially RDJ's gruff "HUH?" at the end, my wife turned to me and practically pleaded with me to visit the theater this weekend to see Tropic Thunder.  Based on all of the positive comments in this thread, even though I normally don't find Ben Stiller very funny, it will be worth it just to see RDJ's performance.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2008, 02:19:58 AM »

Did anyone check out the rain of madness full length...i ended up watching it again today because my girlfriend wanted to see it...just as funny as the first time...laughed at some stuff i didnt notice the first time...
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

Man.  I must have seen a different movie from everyone else.  I went to a matinee of this last week, and couldn't wait for it to be over.  I even viewed the call from work that took me out of the theater for five minutes a welcome interruption.  I laughed like a half dozen times, maybe.

(And the only reason I was in the movie was because the movie theater dropped an early screening of the movie that I wanted to see, and this was the next thing showing...)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on September 15, 2008, 03:03:05 PM

Man.  I must have seen a different movie from everyone else.  I went to a matinee of this last week, and couldn't wait for it to be over.  I even viewed the call from work that took me out of the theater for five minutes a welcome interruption.  I laughed like a half dozen times, maybe.

(And the only reason I was in the movie was because the movie theater dropped an early screening of the movie that I wanted to see, and this was the next thing showing...)

Please remember that you berated me for hating Clerks II.  Now you will be ridiculed as you ridiculed me.  Grab the edges of the table and get ready....

icon_twisted

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 10:24:49 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on September 15, 2008, 03:03:05 PM

Agreed, the writing was pretty lame for the most part. I have to guiltily admit I did most of my laughing during the Simple Jack scenes...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 15, 2008, 10:24:49 PM

Agreed, the writing was pretty lame for the most part. I have to guiltily admit I did most of my laughing during the Simple Jack scenes...

methinks therein lies the answer to your dislike for the writing in the rest of the film.   Tongue

it wasn't a great comedy, but i still thought it had its moments.  i don't regret the cost of seeing it in a theater.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 05:48:47 PM »

I thought it had its moments, but overall I'd agree that the writing wasn't very good.  There were a few scenes that had me clutching my side, but the filler in between seemed lacking.  We had two free matinee passes, so it was at least worth our price of admission (we saw a free pre-screening of Hancock and that wasn't at all worth the cost of admission).  But my wife enjoyed it, and she rarely finds current films to be very funny.  I found the Simple Jack parts to be dull and not very funny, but Les Grossman was a fucking riot.  Overall I'd say it was worth seeing for the really humorous parts but overall the film certainly had its problems and slow points.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34:49 AM »

I have never ever laughed so hard at a movie.

There's one scene in particular where RDJ is cleaning his gun and he says a line about a kid...OMG. I laughed until it hurt. I rewatched. Laughed again till it hurt.  I had to pause the movie....and just let myself go. I probably laughed solid for 5 minutes. Actual physical pain.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »

Everybody knows you never go full retard.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: