http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip to Seattle in the fall - what's the best time?  (Read 485 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »

From what I recall, there are a few GT'ers who either live in Seattle or in that general region. Frogs Honey and I are planning a trip up yonder this fall for a long weekend and were wondering whether September or October would be better. Yes, we're packing our rain slickers so we'll look like the Gorton's Fisherman times two. Also, thoughts on general attractions, restaurants, and things to see would be welcome. Thank you!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »

PAX is right at the end of August (26th-28th).  That's when I'm going. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »

September generally will still be summer-ish. Once October hits, we'll be in the iron fist of weather misery until May 1st, 2012. frown

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »

September is usually better as you may get the tail end of Seattle summer. And summer here is gorgeous.

In any case, our standard set of tourist attractions:

Pike Place Market: A century old multilevel sprawling maze of quirky little shops. This is where the fish market is where they throw the salmon around. If you're around here in the evening you should check out Theater Sports; live improv comedy.

The Waterfront: Just down the hill from Pike Place; home to Ivar's, the Seattle Aquarium and a bunch of quirky stores including Ye Olde Curiositie Shoppe. You can also go on one of the harbor tour boats-particularly recommended if the weather is nice. Pro tip: Don't get harbor tour tickets at the tour place. Get them from the little kiosk outside the front of Pike Place.

The Underground Tour in Pioneer Square: A guided tour through the remnants of old Seattle with a funny look at Seattle's very very strange history. Strange enough that Terry Pratchett lifted it for the history of Ankh-Morpork. Pioneer Square also has a big totem pole and is where Utilikilts is located.

Seattle Center: Ride the monorail from Westlake Center to get there and visit the Experience Music Project and the Sci-Fi museum.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »

September for sure - it often the best month here in the gorgeous Pacific North-West.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:19:36 PM »

+1 for September.  the earlier the better.  as for attractions, what are you major interests?  there are some excellent locations you can visit for a day trip. 

for natural beauty you have a lot of options.  Mt. Ranier is always a great place to visit and easily seen in a day. 
it's also the best time to go east to wenatchee as the harvest is starting and you can get the best fresh fruit of the year and you have the "german" town of leavenworth, lake chelan for camping and water activities.  i guess that also begs the question, car rental or not? 

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »

The Museum of Flight, located south of Seattle, is worth visiting if you have an interest in aerospace history.   Definately worth the relatively low cost of entry.  The Experience Music Project, located near the Space Needle is also something you might be interested since it covers music and scifi.  A more expensive proposition, though.  And depending on when you come, a lot of people like Bumbershoot, which is a music festival that run on Labor Day weekend.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:52:05 AM »

I fly out tomorrow afternoon. I have Monday during the day to myself... then it's off to press event, and fly back.

Anything that's quick and easy? (Don't say CeeKay - NOTHING is easy about ... it.)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 03:27:09 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 09, 2011, 07:57:27 PM

The Museum of Flight, located south of Seattle, is worth visiting if you have an interest in aerospace history.   Definately worth the relatively low cost of entry.  The Experience Music Project, located near the Space Needle is also something you might be interested since it covers music and scifi.  A more expensive proposition, though.  And depending on when you come, a lot of people like Bumbershoot, which is a music festival that run on Labor Day weekend.

Speaking of the MoF, we were there today. Love that place.

99/365 by gwonchang, on Flickr

Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »

Mt St Helens is not that far away.  Check conditions before going though.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 04:34:39 AM »

Quote from: Montag on April 10, 2011, 06:38:12 PM

Mt St Helens is not that far away.  Check conditions before going though.

Yeah, avoid if erupting.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:15:08 AM »

get here in early September (first half of the month for sure).

See:

- if you can get here for a day of Bumbershoot, do so

- the downtown Central Library (check out the architecture from the top floor inside)

- Discovery Park in Magnolia - be sure to head to the beach

- Archie McPhee in Wallingford (near where i live... website explains all: http://www.mcphee.com/ )

- the giant stone troll under the Aurora Bridge in Fremont (there's also a huge statue of Vladimir Lenin in downtown Fremont)

- Thai Tom in University District - if you like Thai food, you must go here. the place is a hole in the wall, but there's a reason there's always a line in front of it when there are about a dozen other Thai restaurants within a few blocks....

(there are at least 200 Thai restaurants in Seattle ... and around 100 Teriyaki shops. see the NYT article about it)

- Samurai Noodle in the International District for prettttty good ramen

- Gasworks Park in... what's that neighborhood called... uh, North Lake Union?  go to the top of the tallest hill there.

- Pink Gorilla in International and University Districts for rare/import video games

- Easy Street Records in Queen Anne (great record store)

- Big Bowl Pho in Ballard... because the portions are huuuge (and good)

- if you must eat by the waterfront, check out The Pink Door

- drive out for a hike to Mount Sai or Pilchuk

- take the ferry to Bremerton
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »

I went to the market on Pike Place and first (I was staying at the W). I also checked out the aquarium and the first Starbucks.

Made a good cup of joe.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: