http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:47:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transparent Aluminum?  (Read 554 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2005, 04:46:46 PM »

From ArsTechnica:

A long time ago in a galaxy not very far away, Fred (zAmboni) mentioned transparent aluminum which is actually alumina (aluminum oxide). Now there's another transparent aluminum offering being tested by the Air Force: aluminum oxynitride. It's being tested as a replacement for the multi-layered glass windows that are being used now. The substance is more durable than glass, and it weighs less. In fact, its performance is nothing short of impressive:

In a June 2004 demonstration, an ALONtm test pieces held up to both a .30 caliber Russian M-44 sniper rifle and a .50 caliber Browning Sniper Rifle with armor piercing bullets. While the bullets pierced the glass samples, the armor withstood the impact with no penetration.

In extensive testing, ALONtm has performed well against multiple hits of .30 caliber armor piercing rounds -- typical of anti-aircraft fire, Lieutenant La Monica said. Tests focusing on multiple hits from .50 caliber rounds and improvised explosive devices are in the works.

And before you ask the question I know all of you Star Trek fans have on your mind, I'll give you the answer: 6 inches (at least according to posts on that site). biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 04:56:25 PM »

I saw that -- pretty cool!  Imagine cruising down the street in your transparent car...

xbox live: nude rick james
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 05:43:08 PM »

"Hello computer!"

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 07:33:28 PM »

That.is.awesome.

Somewhere Jimmy Doohan is smiling.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 07:50:23 PM »

Funny timing, I've had Star Trek IV at the top of my Netflix queue for the past few weeks.  It's been "very long wait" this whole time, and now I know it's because the Air Force has been using it for research.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: