http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:09:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toy Story 3 in the works (sans Pixar)  (Read 1833 times)
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2004, 09:20:06 PM »

link

The growing animosity of Disney and Pixar has been well documented in the press, but I still think Disney is going to f*** up this series without the magic touch of Pixar.  Even the Shrek films, which are a lot fun, don't meet the timelessness of the Pixar films.  And will they be able to get the voice cast back for TS3?
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:31:43 PM »

THANK YOU AGAIN MR. EISNER FOR SCREWING THE POOCH ONE LAST TIME BEFORE THE DOOR HITS YOU IN YOUR FAT HEADED ASS. GO SCREW SOME OTHER COMPANY UP.

I feel better.

Yes I do think this is criminal.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 10:10:55 PM »

Given Disney's lackadaisical approach to their recent 2-D cartoons, I really don't want to see Toy Story 3 go the same route as Lady & the Tramp 2 or Cinderella 2. And I can't imagine them getting Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (or even Patrick Warburton) to sign on to do a low-quality cartoon that's all about profit.

Disney owes so much of its success to timeless, classic 2-D cartoons. I'll never understand why the company suddenly stopped caring about animation.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 11:01:28 PM »

Man, fuck Disney.  Fuck them in the goat ass.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 01:12:47 AM »

Quote from: "Grievous Angel"
Given Disney's lackadaisical approach to their recent 2-D cartoons, I really don't want to see Toy Story 3 go the same route as Lady & the Tramp 2 or Cinderella 2. And I can't imagine them getting Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (or even Patrick Warburton) to sign on to do a low-quality cartoon that's all about profit.

Disney owes so much of its success to timeless, classic 2-D cartoons. I'll never understand why the company suddenly stopped caring about animation.

I believe Tim Allen has said that he would be interested in reprising his role in a Toy Story 3.
  And with regard to your second paragraph, it's all about money.  Because 2-D cartoons have been doing poorly, Disney thinks only the 3-D films can make a buck.  Nevermind the fact that Disney's recent 2-D animated films have been mediocre at best.  Perhaps if they took a page from Pixar and focused on quality stories, they might realize this.  *shrug*  When Pixar makes their 2-D movie in a few years and it makes big bucks maybe Disney will realize it then.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 01:55:42 AM »

I can't wait to see a montage of Woody snowboarding to a Phil Collins tune.

:roll:
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 06:54:32 AM »

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Fuck!

:cry:

[sneaks off to cancel my Disney Visa]

LiveTAG: happydog
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 07:14:37 AM »

Yea, this will suck.  If I were Pixar I dump Disney too.  They are not the company they used to be.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:25:17 AM »

For a while now, Disney has been about the media, not the content of.

The last really innovative film they had was Lilo and Stitch.

Of course, from what my animation history professor says, this is nothing new.  Even Walt had his bouts where he would rehash stuff.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 07:51:50 AM »

We won't let our niece watch Disney channel.  It's all about clothes, money, and cliques.  Disney stuff never used to be that way.  They sold their soul for quick cash in the teenage prep market.  Walt may have rehashed stuff sometimes, but at least he pimp the Disney to wannabe rich white girls.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 03:34:08 PM »

Quote from: "Hamlet3145"
I can't wait to see a montage of Woody snowboarding to a Phil Collins tune.

:roll:

:lol:

That's one of the first things I noticed about Pixar films.  They don't put crappy, trendy songs in them that tie them to a particular era.  And that's the biggest problem I have with the Shrek films.  They have that no talent ass-clown band Smashmouth in them among others.  Pixar films also aren't musicals with fabulous productions.  The music in them is used to enhance scenes and is not the centerpiece.  Jessie's montage in Toy Story 2 is a perfect example.  Or heck, the beginning of Toy Story 1 for that matter.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 04:25:38 PM »

Let's see.  Disney's going to make it without Pixar.   My predictions:

Andy's mother gets killed in the opening moments.
"Buzz" and "Woody" turn out to be gay.
And yes, it'll have the obligatory Phil Collins songs.
Don't forget the merchandizing.
Toy Story 4 will skip the theaters and be available "only on DVD".
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 05:33:55 PM »

Quote from: "Tony"

I believe Tim Allen has said that he would be interested in reprising his role in a Toy Story 3.
  And with regard to your second paragraph, it's all about money.  Because 2-D cartoons have been doing poorly, Disney thinks only the 3-D films can make a buck.  Nevermind the fact that Disney's recent 2-D animated films have been mediocre at best.  Perhaps if they took a page from Pixar and focused on quality stories, they might realize this.  *shrug*  When Pixar makes their 2-D movie in a few years and it makes big bucks maybe Disney will realize it then.

I agree, and I'm curious as to what came first. Did 2-D cartoons do poorly at the box office, and then Disney stopped caring, or did Disney stop caring and the cartoons do poorly as a result.

When I was a kid, Disney put out one great animated movie a year (starting with the Little Mermaid). For about 5 or 6 years, I could count on a great cartoon every summer. But for the last couple years, they started tossing out a couple every year, and the quality dropped. I liked Lilo and Stitch and Treasure Planet well enough, but I didn't even bother seeing Brother Bear or Home on the Range after watching the trailers. Four animated movies in two years is a little overkill to me. That's not even counting all the direct to video sequels that pissed all over their legacy.

Like you said, if Disney cared enough to make one classic 2-D animated cartoon a year instead of a half-dozen mediocre ones, they could count on a $100 million blockbuster every time. But instead of making that effort, they're jumping on the computer animation bandwagon. There's a new Mickey Mouse Christmas video out and it's all 3-D animation. That's enough to make me weep.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 08:07:37 PM »

I think it all started with the straight to video Aladdin sequels.   Then they started putting all of their stuff into mediocre TV shows and video releases and it was all downhill.

Aliasbuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 05:03:56 PM »

The day they laid off all the animators in Florida was a sad day.  This coupled with the news they were looking for an animation studio pad in India and Eisner making statements about how they could make animated movies using cheaper methods and nobody would notice.

Suuuure Mike - Cinderalla 2 (which was atrociously bad in all aspects) is the same quality of stuff as Lion King - yeah, and you have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell me, right?

One of the animation moguls at Disney claiming people couldn't tell that the general in Mulan was done differently than the rest of the film

Oh yeah? I said to my wife the second he was on screen - that's CG - an her reply was gee, and water's wet, what's next mr. obvious?

::sigh:: Folks may knock Disney, but man, did they make some great animated films.  Hopefully the new guy is John Lasseter and he turns the company back to what it should be focused on - its people and the quality of their work.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 05:48:48 PM »

Quote from: "Aliasbuck"

::sigh:: Folks may knock Disney, but man, did they make some great animated films.  Hopefully the new guy is John Lasseter and he turns the company back to what it should be focused on - its people and the quality of their work.

Considering Lasseter is still working at Pixar and the Disney/Pixar relationship has all but dissolved I don't see that ever happening.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 02:35:16 PM »

I agree, and I'm curious as to what came first. Did 2-D cartoons do poorly at the box office, and then Disney stopped caring, or did Disney stop caring and the cartoons do poorly as a result.

The answer to all your questions lies in Jeffrey Katzenberg.  He's the one that revitalized Disney's animation department, producing that string of hits in the early 90s.  While there was some formula behind each hit, Katzenberg understood the need to nurture the creative process and let stories and films evolve as their own being.  He let the promotional tie-ins come second.  If I recall correctly, Eisner and Katzenberg got into a dick swinging match due to Katzenberg's success.  Eisner then fired him.  Disney animation began being produced by committee and/or the almighty dollar, and the quality of Disney's product immediately suffered.  With the exception of a couple flashes of hope (The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Emperor's New Groove), it hasn't recovered.

Pixar came along with their new-fangled 3D animation and single-handedly revitalized animated film.  What Disney stubbornly refuses to realize is that what drives Pixar's box-office is not the 3D animation, but their focus on telling an entertaining and compelling story.  Lasseter and Co. have continually stated that if the story isn't there, the film doesn't happen.  They don't rush the scripting/storyboarding phase AT ALL, and it shows in their end product.

What Disney needs is an animation head that'll nurture the creators and their stories, and steer them towards success.  A CEO that nurtures the department head and doesn't get threatened by an underling's success would help as well...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: