http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Ten Geekiest hobbies  (Read 3923 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2004, 08:29:36 PM »

This was pretty funny:

http://www.thewavemag.com/printarticle.php?articleid=24184

Snippet:

1. Live Action Role Playing
Public Humiliation: 100%
Live action role playing, or LARP, is a nerd’s parent’s worst fears come true: Dungeons and Dragons has finally made their child go crazy. These people dress up like fantasy characters and go on adventures where other nerds play the parts of enemy monsters, which would be fine if the participants were in the second grade. When adults do it, it’s like a renaissance faire and backyard wrestling met, had demonic babies, and gave them weapons.

Damage to Sex Life: 100%
If you and your team of paladins are thinking about leaving your mom’s basement to move your fantasy quests into society, you might as well leave your genitals behind.

Distinguishing Characteristics: Aside from the barbarian clothes and giant monster heads, it’s impossible to know who might be LARPing. The only way to be sure is when they throw make-believe fireballs at you from their very fingertips, but by then... it’s already too late.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 08:43:24 PM »

LIGHTNING BOLT!!!
http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/9271/

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 08:55:04 PM »

Although funny, I really don't like the fact that it perpetuates the stereotype, although more often than not, people help maintain the stereotype by fitting right in.

Case in point, I went to a local card shop to sell off my magic cards because I no longer played, and god damn did it stink of BO in there. A bunch of fat middle aged men mixed in with kids were stuffed in a small side room playing counterstrike on a LAN while eatting chips and drinking coke, whilesurrounded by empty bags of bottles of the same product. I mean, seriously, god damn.

My friend and I want to open a comic and hobby shop that is well lit, spacious, and where the employees wear nice clothes and have recently showered so the wives and girlfriends of customers are not afraid to enter.

I wish we could get a little Japanese in our blood here in the US so we can pull out a comic and read it in public, or pull out a gameboy and play without being shit apon visually by people walking by. It's not that I care what people think of me when they walk by, I just don't see any reason to harbor ill feelings towards a perfectly fine hobby*.

* The definition of "perfectly fine hobby" does not apply to furries. They are fucked in the head and need help.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 09:01:58 PM »

Quote from: "scubabbl"
Although funny, I really don't like the fact that it perpetuates the stereotype, although more often than not, people help maintain the stereotype by fitting right in.

Case in point, I went to a local card shop to sell off my magic cards because I no longer played, and god damn did it stink of BO in there. A bunch of fat middle aged men mixed in with kids were stuffed in a small side room playing counterstrike on a LAN while eatting chips and drinking coke, whilesurrounded by empty bags of bottles of the same product. I mean, seriously, god damn.

My friend and I want to open a comic and hobby shop that is well lit, spacious, and where the employees wear nice clothes and have recently showered so the wives and girlfriends of customers are not afraid to enter.

I wish we could get a little Japanese in our blood here in the US so we can pull out a comic and read it in public, or pull out a gameboy and play without being shit apon visually by people walking by. It's not that I care what people think of me when they walk by, I just don't see any reason to harbor ill feelings towards a perfectly fine hobby*.

* The definition of "perfectly fine hobby" does not apply to furries. They are fucked in the head and need help.

Man you're not kidding.  A freind of mine and I had the same idea, but we're just dead terrified if we open in the wrong location we are going to get that crowd in the store.

Maybe I should require a tie.  And pants.  Pants are good.  Where's my pen? I need to write this down. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 09:11:50 PM »

My favorite place to whip out my gameboy advance sp is in the doctor's office. I play while Im waiting on my wife. Im always afraid im going to spas and yell out expletatives while playing like that guy on the tv commercial does.."get off me!!!" hahaha

scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 09:15:36 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Man you're not kidding.  A freind of mine and I had the same idea, but we're just dead terrified if we open in the wrong location we are going to get that crowd in the store.

Maybe I should require a tie.  And pants.  Pants are good.  Where's my pen? I need to write this down. Tongue

s

Exactly, a freaking Tie and pants, is that to much to ask in the service industry? I would even give a god damn clothing allowance to my employees just so they wear nice clothes. I mean, seriously, why is it so hard to look professional? Or, a nice company polo and nice pants. I remember when I was in Seattle, I went to one of those game workshops store and damn, the employees were neatly groomed and dressed nice.

As for LARPers, as silly as it looks to an outsider, I bet they are having fun. I bet it's good exercise too. At least they are getting outside and having fun. Their interests may be a little funny to people, but I would rather have then focusing their attention on that than something more self destructive*.

*i.e. being a furry. No, you are not a wolf, and no you don't have a four foot donkey dong.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 09:15:39 PM »

My favorite place to whip out my

LOL I almost stopped reading after this. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 09:24:09 PM »

That's why i love my PDA. Games, Fantasy books, Movies all in one professional piece of business looking hardware  :wink:
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 09:29:02 PM »

Quote from: "Jag"
That's why i love my PDA. Games, Fantasy books, Movies all in one professional piece of business looking hardware  :wink:

What kind of PDA do you have? I have a IPaq pocket pc. Any good game recommendations and where do you get books?

I use mine for streaming internet radio a lot at work. It's pretty nice. If you have a pocket PC, today player is a sweet investment. Expecially because it's a free investment.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 10:11:53 PM »

I have the Dell Axim X5. For e-books, i use ubook for PPC. It's free and skinnable. I use mostly .txt files on it. You can get books and videos from places like project gutenberg or 'ahem' usenet and file sharing services. There is also a program that converts your DVD's to ppc format as well.

The best video player is beta player, another freeware app that's awesome.

One of my favorite games is Legacy from Redshift. I also like Warring Nations.

URLS:

http://www.warringnations.com/

http://www.redshift.hu/legacyppc.htm

http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

Article on must have games for the PPC (2 parts) http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,32353

URL says its all
http://www.freewareppc.com/
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 10:15:52 PM »

Oh and here is my screen, skinned with the amazing Wisbar Advance 2.0:

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 11:09:01 PM »

In the early 90s, they did have comic stores that were well lit classy places. They all went out of business.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 11:14:05 PM »

The entire Seanbaby archive there provides hours of quality reading.

http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=seanbaby

He does mention the Lightening Bolt video in his "Internet Fads" article:

Sometimes Dungeons and Dragons players take it too far and put on magician costumes to do imaginary (but just barely imaginary) battle. This is called “dorky beyond reason,” but the technical term is “live action role playing.” Someone managed to capture some of this on video, and they deserve our thanks for then mailing it around the internet. The video is the crescendo of what must have been an epic battle, where several magicians – who you should note are grown men – are finishing off evil papier maché monsters. While the camera operator is miraculously not laughing, the nerds command the monsters, “Sleep!” and “Death!” which seem to have no effect, so one of them decides to take them out the way our forefathers intended: “Lightning Bolt!” He throws things at the monsters, shouting “LIGHTNING BOLT!” each time, and only once did he accidentally kill one of his non-monster friends with a misplaced LIGHTNING BOLT! The best part of the video comes at the end when a nearby maiden is holding her head in disbelief of their magic awesomeness and breaks into lonely applause. Lightning bolt!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 11:21:13 PM »

7. Star Wars

Distinguishing Characteristics: Overweight, casually strolling into the center of the room, and then when you least expect it, bursting into a blinding Jedi combat storm with a golf ball retriever.

Ghyslain Raza, where are you in our time of need?
karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 12:18:13 AM »

Missed a few hobbies by my count.

Apologies if anyone here falls into one of these, BUT they are all pretty geeky :

1.) The whole Renfair "movement" - These aren't the best of times, BUT what makes someone so enamored with the diseased ridden, violent, and otherwise backward middle ages? Ever see those booths at the mall or on the boardwalk with the "old timey pictures"? Imagine having to live in those costumes for a solid week while living in a cow pasture. Eww....that IS dedication to a hobby.

2.) Ham radio/shortwave radio - I always thought it strange that some would spend thousands of dollars on equipment and countless hours to get a license so that they could talk to someone half way around the world. Especially if you could talk to someone in the next room.  Ultimate techno geek hobby (makes PCs look quite girly).

3.) Competitive eating people - You should see the fat Bastards in the Philly who compete for Super Bowl tickets every year in a Buffalo Wing eating contest. All I can think of is the smell of sweat, feces, vomit, and hot sauce. Yuck!

4.) Model train people - I kind of see the thrill of collecting the trains, building and kitting up your layout, and running it. But why in the hell would you want to sit and watch the same damn train go around the same damn track all day? Sounds like an excuse to get away all weekend from the wife and hide in the basement. And another thing...I would sure be tempted to go "Godzilla" on the layout and smash it to hell.

5.) Real board game people - Anyone who plays them competitively for money is pretty strange. Especially if you spend all your free time memorizing dictionaries re: Scrabble. Impressive, but a little bit out there. Read Word Freak (as linked below) if you'd like to see what I'm talking about

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0142002267/qid=1098749465/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-6749994-4895166?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 01:22:53 AM »

Quote from: "karapcik"
Missed a few hobbies by my count.

2.) Ham radio/shortwave radio

3.) Competitive eating people - You should see the fat Bastards in the Philly who compete for Super Bowl tickets every year in a Buffalo Wing eating contest.

4.) Model train people

Ham radio should be dead with the internet here.  I just don't get it.  The only reason I would want something like this is when I just can't get enough COPS and want to listen to police radio.

Competitive eating!  Don't they know the fat people never win?  It's always the rail-thin Japanese guy or the little 98-pound woman (last weekends sweet potato caserole winner I saw on SportsCenter).

Model train people, I think, are more like real-life Sim City people.  More kinetic than doing it on the PC.  Either that or they just like collecting something.  People collect all kinds of odd things, why not little choo choos?

Good list, though.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 02:08:32 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Ham radio should be dead with the internet here.  I just don't get it.  The only reason I would want something like this is when I just can't get enough COPS and want to listen to police radio.

Ouch!  Ham radio is way up there on the geekometer, but "should be dead"? Who do you think provides the communications when the cell towers go down and the power goes out?  As penance you are hereby required to read http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/WTC.pdf: '9/11/01: "This is Not a test"'

Obligatory personal stories:

Several years ago I used to live out in far western Minnesota, out where there was no cell phone coverage.  Driving anywhere took a minimum of 20-90 minutes.  A ham radio in my car gave me the chance to use some of that time to visit with friends in the area.  

One winter night my car got stuck several miles from home and from anyone else's.  I called for help with my 2-meter radio and reached a friend 60 miles away.  He called my neighbor, who came to give me a ride home.  Life-saving?  Maybe not, but it was sure a lot better than walking 3 miles across the fields in wind and snow.

A few weeks later a blizzard kept me snowed in the house alone for 11 days straight.  After a few days the phone went out too.  With my 2-meter and HF radios I was able to make occasional contact with other humans.  Sanity-saving?  Definitely.

Last winter I was listening to the radio during a blizzardy day and heard a call from a guy on the highway.  He was wondering why traffic was backed up.  I got on the internet and found out that a 60-car pileup had closed the highway ahead of him.  I was able to pass along the information and he was able to bypass the traffic jam.

Ham radio is far from dead.  Geeky?  You bet, but still valuable and valued.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 02:23:20 AM »

I used to do Lionel trains. I had hundreds of engines and cars.I had a spare bedroom that I'd put up the layout in. I had tons of accessories so there was always something moving or going on. Having said that tho, the main thing I enjoyed about the hobby was building the layout. After it was done I'd only run it when somebody came over and wanted to see it. As a matter of fact I used to have people from different states come and see my layouts. I say layouts because I'd tear them down abour every two years and build a new one.
Then I got a combination of lazy and hurting for money so I sold it all off.Some guy flew in from Florida bought everything I had.His plane wasn't big enough so he had to rent a Ryder truck to come back and get the rest.

Ye Olde Farte
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2004, 02:33:39 AM »

Dressing Well In The Service Industry. Hell Yes,  Nice Pants paired with either a Polo or a Shirt and Tie makes  the world of difference. Personal Hygeine goes without saying..

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 02:35:02 AM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
My favorite place to whip out my

LOL I almost stopped reading after this. Tongue

s

What's truly hilarious is that if you skim the sentence and skip the right words it starts out with that quote, and ends with "is the doctor's office".

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 10:36:42 AM »

Tongue  :oops:

karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 11:04:45 AM »

I'll not apologize for the Ham radio comment...not as much a value judgement as a comment on Geek factor alone.

Certainly a more useful hobby than any I've mentioned, but an extremely geeky one none the less.  When you spend more than 25,000 on equipment, mount huge anntenna on your house that would make most AM radio director weep with envy, get a personalized license plate with your call sign on it, argue with complete strangers over the propogation qualities of different anntenna, and have an antenna on the roof of you car longer than the car itself, well then you've passed to the geek darkside.  

Not that I don't have a little envy here...but I don't think I'll ever get beyond my little short wave radio.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 11:26:26 AM »

Actually, re: Model Train thing, a friend of mine is a HUGE model train freak (he has a huge corner of his living room filled with a model train setup). The entire enjoyment for him comes from the collecting and building the "world" in which his trains drive around. So, he actually doesn't sit there for three hours looking at his train going round the track. He does however, let the train go round the track while he's working on modelling a mountain, for example.

HELLO!
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 11:49:45 AM »

blinding Jedi combat storm

This has me laughing. Very good phrase.  :lol:
Hansey
Gaming Trend Reader

Random Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 04:25:21 PM »

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that the two guys with their eyes blacked out in the picture at the top of that article look like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck? slywink

Edited to add an anecdote:

When I was in college, I worked part time at a hobby shop at the local mall.  My older brother worked there too, as well as a few friends.  I remember there was this other guy who worked there, who was really into LARP.  He was also so full of himself, it was mind boggling.  He regularly used to say things like "I'm the only person working here who is going to make something of myself." Implying that the rest of us were total losers.  Yet long after we had all moved on - my brother became a chemical engineer, I became a bank officer, another became IT manager at a good company...

... yep, you guessed it - he was still working at the mall.  Only at the Deli place now.  Yep, he sure moved up in the world!
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2004, 04:49:14 PM »

Quote from: "Hansey"
... yep, you guessed it - he was still working at the mall.  Only at the Deli place now.  Yep, he sure moved up in the world!

But he is a 38th level Dungeon Lord

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2004, 01:07:32 AM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
Ouch!  Ham radio is way up there on the geekometer, but "should be dead"? Who do you think provides the communications when the cell towers go down and the power goes out?

Okay, point taken. :oops:

I need to make friends with a ham radio operator...with a bomb shelter. :wink:

Seriously, when all my technology fails I am going to be in bad shape...

Or maybe I'm just jealous because I realize it just doesn't look quite right mounting an 8-foot radio antenna on a Japanese truck. :lol:

And glad to see I was on the right track with the model train thing.  It sounds cool, but I don't know which I have less of -- money or patience.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2004, 01:16:00 AM »

Hey, if you guys want to see some geeky antennas, cruise through the parking lot where they're having a hamfest.  Even I can't bring myself to attach to my car a 12-foot whip with huge copper coils at the bottom.

Well, ok, my wife won't let me.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2004, 01:18:47 AM »

Should I feel good that the only thing on that list that applies to me is comic book geek, but that I stopped reading them over 8 years ago?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2004, 02:16:32 AM »

That is awesome!  I've stolen the links and reposted them on my Web log.  Very cool stuff, man.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 03:43:25 AM »

Ok, someone tell me why Rocket Science didn't make the list? I think that must of been considered a very geeky job at one point.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2004, 04:34:51 AM »

Yeah I always felt that when I was reading comics, that was the only "geeky" thing people could accuse me of. I didn't care much because I loved them so much, but I did think it was wierd that I was the only person out of all the people I knew that read them. I think most people just kept that hobby hidden.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: