http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:58:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Car Chases Poll  (Read 828 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2005, 05:03:42 AM »

Acccording to this poll by Hagerty Insurance on which car chases were the best, Bullitt was ranked at the top of the list. Not surprising considering people think of it as the "gold standard" of car chases. But having just watched the movie last week, I did some thinking about it and I would argue it being the best. Here's my list for the best car chases I've seen:

1. The French Connection
2. The Blues Brothers
3. Short Time
4. Bullitt
5. Bad Boys II (the freeway one - as stupid and improbable as it is, I still find it vastly entertaining)
6. True Lies (the bridge sequence)
7. Terminator 2 (from the helicopter on)
8. Ronin (good, but overrated - yes it is, stop arguing with me)
9. Smokey & The Bandit (alright, the whole movie is one long chase)
10. The Road Warrior

EDIT - Thanks for the reminder Big Jake

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 06:13:32 AM »

I don't know which Bourne movie it was, but that car chase had me laughing aloud.  It just would...not...end!

The Ronin car chase is a classic and I'd probably put it third.  The one in Bad Boys II was indeed entertaining and now I can't believe I just complimented that movie...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 06:29:41 AM »

Vanishing Point (the original) gets my vote if we are allowing movies which are  basically one long car chase, the original Gone in Sixty Seconds being second, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry being third.

Of those scenes?  I gotta go with French Connection.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 12:04:14 PM »

They should have disqualified The Matrix for too much CGI.  I would add the chase in To Live and Die in LA.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 03:17:02 PM »

Yes, the chase in To Live and Die in LA *must* be on the list.  

I'd put Ronin way up there.  Not overrated at all in my opinion.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 03:53:14 AM »

I loved the chase scene in The Way of the Gun. Kicked ass.

Oh, and I seem to remember some awesome chase scene in Sleepy Hollow, although it's been a while since I saw it. Yea, not CAR, CART.

Ronin was great; it's MUCH better on the silver screen than on a set though.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 04:11:41 AM »

I've looked at tons of these lists before, and I totally don't understand their neverending nods to The French Connection.

Not only did the movie itself put me to sleep, but the chase scene was so boring I wanted to turn the movie off. Ugh.

I would put Ronin in my top 5, but not above Bullitt. I would have to try really hard for a long time to actually put my top 5 or ten chases in actual numerical order, but I'll list the ones I thought of first.

1. Bullitt
2. Ronin
3. Bourne Supremacy
4. Bourne Identity (Extra nod for using an old Mini!)

The Bourne movie chases are a little stuck in my brain lately as I watched both movies again in the last few days.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 03:07:27 PM »

The Ronin car chase is SO bad.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 03:23:56 PM »

Having saw Bullitt when it first came out and having been so impressed with it I've always thought it was the best. However I'll grant you that could just be nostalgia.There's some pretty good other ones on the list too.

Ye Olde Farte
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 04:25:12 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Having saw Bullitt when it first came out and having been so impressed with it I've always thought it was the best. However I'll grant you that could just be nostalgia.There's some pretty good other ones on the list too.

There's actually a trick with the Bullitt car chase that makes it so impressive: Watch the speeds they go, and the twists and turns they make, then notice how destructive they are. Oh wait, you mean they only hit like one car despite all the stunts they're performing? And that it's mostly Steve McQueen and the other actor behind the wheels? Interesting... slywink

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 05:46:54 PM »

How can anything with CGI be included in a car chase scene mention?  Sorry, but you've already discredited yourself.  

Also,ATB, what's wrong with Ronin?

And my favorite car chase scene of all time is the last 30 minutes of The Road Warrior.  There are cars.  There is a chase.  Cool

"and the Road Warrior... He Lives now, only in my memories. "

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 05:57:27 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
How can anything with CGI be included in a car chase scene mention?  Sorry, but you've already discredited yourself.

D'oh! Good point. Totally forgot about the Road Warrior as its been close to 10 years since I've seen it. List has been revised accordingly. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: