http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:14:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took in a stray/abandoned/runaway dog  (Read 1227 times)
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2006, 10:01:39 AM »

My son, dad and I were out shooting rifles in the middle of nowhere yesterday when this beautiful cocker spaniel pup jumps into the backseat of my truck.
All he has is a choker collar, nothing else. He seems well fed but is covered in ticks. Payful and friendly as all hell and so freakin' cute.

Again, we were in the middle of absolutely nowhere, no houses or farmsteads in sight.
I couldn't just leave him out there, so, against my dads advice, I took him home with me to the extreme delight of my son.

Needless to say, a half hour after he was home his name was Bandit and my 7 year old girl was ga-ga over him.
We took him to a dog groomer we know and she said that he is a very rare color, unfixed male purebred Cocker. Worth some cash, for sure.

We'll put the "found" ad in the paper but I don't expect results and maybe don't want results. My kids will be heartbroken.

We never wanted a dog, never even considered it. But fate plays funny tricks. I couldn't just leave him out there.....
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"
My son, dad and I were out shooting rifles in the middle of nowhere yesterday when this beautiful cocker spaniel pup jumps into the backseat of my truck.
All he has is a choker collar, nothing else. He seems well fed but is covered in ticks. Payful and friendly as all hell and so freakin' cute.

Again, we were in the middle of absolutely nowhere, no houses or farmsteads in sight.
I couldn't just leave him out there, so, against my dads advice, I took him home with me to the extreme delight of my son.

Needless to say, a half hour after he was home his name was Bandit and my 7 year old girl was ga-ga over him.
We took him to a dog groomer we know and she said that he is a very rare color, unfixed male purebred Cocker. Worth some cash, for sure.

We'll put the "found" ad in the paper but I don't expect results and maybe don't want results. My kids will be heartbroken.

We never wanted a dog, never even considered it. But fate plays funny tricks. I couldn't just leave him out there.....

Similar to what happened to me with Ferrets.  Never in my life did I expect to have a Ferret.  At 11:00pm at night I'm letting the dogs out when this Ferret runs into the house.  We catch him in a box and take care of him as we try to find his owner.  A month goes buy and it was determined that this Fear Rat shall have his own condo and a little albino friend to play with as well.  Just funny how things work that way, yea?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »

We had a kitten just show up in our back yard two summers ago.  We didn't intend to adopt him but our 2 other cats and our dog apparently wanted to.  He's been with us ever since.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 11:54:27 AM »

I hope you've already taken him to a vet for rabies shots and other vacs by now. Also, it's a good idea to let the vet know you found it and post a found ad at some of the vets just in case. Most people contact veterinarian hospitals when they lose their animals. Oh yeah, get him snipped too, don't need more stray dogs running around smile

And one last thing, give him all the love in the world, and literally treat him like one of your kids, I've rescued dogs for years and I love helping animals, like the one you found, out.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:16:41 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I hope you've already taken him to a vet for rabies shots and other vacs by now. Also, it's a good idea to let the vet know you found it and post a found ad at some of the vets just in case. Most people contact veterinarian hospitals when they lose their animals. Oh yeah, get him snipped too, don't need more stray dogs running around smile

And one last thing, give him all the love in the world, and literally treat him like one of your kids, I've rescued dogs for years and I love helping animals, like the one you found, out.

Well, maybe wait until the "Found" ad has been out a while before getting him snipped. Otherwise, yeah smile.

Similar to what happened to me with Ferrets. Never in my life did I expect to have a Ferret. At 11:00pm at night I'm letting the dogs out when this Ferret runs into the house.

I'm sorry, I just can't help but chuckle at this. It reads like a comedy sketch. "And then, this FERRET runs into the house!!" slywink  :lol:
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 03:48:05 PM »

I would put up an ad that the dog was found... but be sure to describe the puppy poorly and emphasize the ticks, so that no one comes to claim him. smile

When you took him to the vet, or when you do, be sure to do a check for an RFID. Hopefully there won't be one.

Dogs are good.

unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 04:57:37 PM »

My brother has a cocker spaniel.  I love those dogs, they are so funny.

I wanted to get a dog after I moved, but my current place doesn't allow pets  frown
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 07:10:33 PM »

3-4 years ago my wife went into Wal Mart. When she came out there was an 8 week old puppy in her car.
She had seen them trying to give them away when she went in. She still won't lock her car doors.
Friskie is in good health and has had a pretty good home here ever since.

Ye Olde Farte
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:13:51 PM »

That's awesome.  My dog Gumdrop is a black cocker and she's absolutely the best dog one could ever "grow up" with.  She's now old . . . can't see . . . can't hear . . . but she's truckin' along.

Cocker spaniels are fantastic dogs.  A bit "leechy" but they give plenty of love.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 08:57:30 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
3-4 years ago my wife went into Wal Mart. When she came out there was an 8 week old puppy in her car.
She had seen them trying to give them away when she went in. She still won't lock her car doors.
Friskie is in good health and has had a pretty good home here ever since.

/hides man card

Man that almost brought a tear to my eye, 8 week old puppy found in front seat, with me for the rest of his/her life

/uncovers man card

ahem, that was very nice and responsible of your wife, I commend her and approve.

Oh, and I want a story of you leaving a baby goat in someone's front seat at wal mart.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:18:53 PM »

An old cat showed up in our yard a few years back.  No collar, really ragged, look thin and weak.  It was obviously domesticated, but probably abandoned or lost since it was a really friendly cat.

I fed it a bit, but couldn't let it into the house since at the time my mother was really strict about animals.

My sister found it dead near the side of the house and I had to bury it the same day.

Since then, I've promised to adopt a shelter cat, an older one.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 11:04:45 PM »

I took in a stragly looking runt of a cat.  The thing was all covered in fleas and in poor health.  I didn't like cats but I couldn't watch the thing starve to death in my parking lot.  Got her back to health and somewhat less feral.  I loved that cat more than I thought I could.  She passed away about a year after I got her and it really broke my heart.  The next day I went to the shelter and got a new stray.

My mom adopted a black lab from the shelter.  Sad looking thing which had just had a litter of puppies.  Milk sacks down to the ground and just standing there looking at the ground.  Damn, it makes me tear up just thinking about it.  But she is a great dog.  I don't know if my mom has done more for that dog or vice-versa, but it is a beautiful thing.

Kudos to you for opening your heart and home to this new family member.  You are very lucky!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 03:22:37 AM »

I've rescued several dogs over the years, and have never regretted it.  I have 3 "rescues" currently, and they are great companions.  They are so devoted.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 04:03:02 AM »

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 04:36:32 AM »

I originally only intended to have one cat, whom I adopted from a family seeking a home for some kittens their cat had.  Named him Oliver, he's an adorable little guy. smile

Anyway, so at his first vet appointment, I saw a picture on the counter for a beautiful white longhair who had been left on the vet office's doorstep.  Thought about adopting him, but really had my hands full with Oliver already so I didn't mention anything.

A month later Oliver had his follow-up appointment, and I noticed that they still had the picture on the desk.  I asked if they were still looking for a home for the cat, and they were.  I figured it must be fate or something, so I asked if I could see him.  He turned out to be quite skittish but otherwise very friendly.

I asked if I could take him home for two weeks to see if he and Oliver would get along; I explained that the only reason I wouldn't keep him is if they fought all the time, as that wouldn't be a good home for either of them in that case.  They agreed (they could tell how well I was caring for Oliver), and Frank (that was the name he came with; I don't feel right renaming him!) wound up joining the family.  smile  I think his previous family must have hit him or thrown stuff at him a lot, as he was really, really skittish at first, and is still fairly jumpy though he's gotten to feel pretty comfortable with me.

They warned me he might take a while to warm up to me, and would probably hide a lot at first, but much to my surprise he's loved to sleep in my lap ever since the first day I took him home.  I've never had an animal warm up to me that quickly (especially when they said he took a while to warm up to them).

I love animals.  smile  If I ever get a place with a big enough yard (and a safe yard, at that) I hope to get a dog, too!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »

Speaking of our dog Friskie........she's been in season the last few days and our little male Yorkie keeps trying to breed her. He's way too small and inexperienced.It's rather humerous.
Anyway I went to fix lunch a a little while ago and there was this deer in the back yard eating grass and Friskie just laying on the porch looking at him. I say him because he's starting to grow his antlers. He was out there for about twenty minutes right next to the porch. I was wondering if he had smelled our dog in heat and came to investigate,saw it was the wrong type of deer and decided to eat lunch while he was here. It's unusual to see deer in the middle of the day.
Dogs act really weird when they are in season. And evidently so do deer. :?

Ye Olde Farte
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 04:37:19 PM »

One year we were visiting my grandma in rural eastern TN (and I do me rural cause they did not have an indoor toilet) a baby screech owl fell out of its nest at the top of grandma's chimney. The way the house was built, there was no way to put the owl back in the nest. So, we took Fuzzy home and raised him till he could fly well enough, then released him.

Another year me and my brother were out playing in the countryside and found a baby racoon on the ground by a tree with no parents in sight. We took it home and my dad put it in with our poodle who had recently had two pups. She adopted it and even let it nurse. It was not around too long though (I think my dad mercy-killed it).
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 05:46:55 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
It was not around too long though (I think my dad mercy-killed it).
I'm sorry, it's sick, but I found this really funny. Racoons are pretty big pests anyway.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: