http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 02:37:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Petty & the Music Industry  (Read 1458 times)
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:04:59 PM »

This is an old article from Rolling Stones (2002). Never really listened to Tom but his views mirrors mine.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5933643?rnd=1099328511330&has-player=true

Now off I go to double post in OO  smile
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 10:34:20 PM »

Nice article - I agree with a lot of it, but I noticed this old chestnut yet again:

"3. It's ridiculous to make people pay twenty dollars for a CD"

Honestly, who pays $20 for a CD?  I know of a couple of stores that sell them for that much, but I don't shop there!  I go one of the dozen other shops in the area (or go online) that has CDs at a much more reasonable price.  I can't remember the last time I paid more than $13 for a CD (with the exception of imports).

Other than that, Mr. Petty is spot-on.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 11:52:30 PM »

It certainly depends on where you live. If there a decent amount of compitition then the prices will be lower in some stores. Around here though you would be lucky to break the 17 dollar price point.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 12:11:48 AM »

I have most of his albums.I started being a fan of his back in the 80s.

Ye Olde Farte
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 02:36:33 AM »

Its funny recently we had a discussion about music and Tom Petty came out to be one of the most under-rated artists we could think of...  He is so talented, and Inever hear his name mentioned for anything...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 02:37:35 AM »

Prices I think have gone down but in the late 90s, $23+ for a single cd was the norm.

wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 03:10:03 PM »

The last time I was looking at CDs most were priced around $13.99 to $14.99 at Best Buy or Circuit City. Borders and B&N sell the same CDs for around $15.99 to $16.99 or so.

How does this work again?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 04:09:58 PM »

As I don't buy very many new relaeases I don't feel the pinch as much as some. I guess that's one good thing about being old and not caring a whole lot for today's music artists. Anyway,I can go to Amazon and pick up the "favorite" albums of my younger years for less than $10.
I'm just now(in the last year or so) buying cd's to replace my cassettes and vynil records.

Ye Olde Farte
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 07:16:27 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
As I don't buy very many new relaeases I don't feel the pinch as much as some.

Best Buy in particular is really good about low new release prices - it's not unusual to get first week releases for $9.99.  I know I bought both U2 and Velvet Revolver's new discs the first week for that much.
Prices I think have gone down but in the late 90s, $23+ for a single cd was the norm.

Where do you live (edit: MD, duh)?  I can say with certainty that I've never seen a domestic single-disc release for $23 in my neck of the woods.  Granted, I don't purchase as many discs these days as I used to, but throughout most of the 90s, I was at the wreka stow *every* week buying something, and never saw prices anywhere near that high, even at the expensive shops.  $18/19 was the absolute max, and even then it was the exception, not the rule.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 09:46:51 PM »

I happen to think he is fantastically talented.

BUT THIS GUY DOESNT PLAY BALL.

Tom Waits is INSANELY Talented (AND INSANE)

But he gets no recognition either.

BECAUSE HE DOESNT PLAY BALL

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 11:20:32 PM »

Tom Waits is, quite literally, a music god.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 03:59:23 AM »

Tom Petty kicks ass musically, but who here can swear that he wasn't the model for "Twelve Toes" for the School House Rock cartoon?

I thank Tom Petty every time I have to think in base 16 (hexadecimal) for "computar" reasons.   And the 70's cartoons of course.  That was some F*ed up advanced shit for an audience of 2nd graders!  Who has 6 fingers and toes?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 dec el 10.

You know what I'm talking about.

:p
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 07:35:46 AM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"
The last time I was looking at CDs most were priced around $13.99 to $14.99 at Best Buy or Circuit City. Borders and B&N sell the same CDs for around $15.99 to $16.99 or so.

Or you can pick them up at deepdiscountcd.com for about $10 shipped free.  biggrin

If you go to places like Disc Jockey or Sam Goody, you can expect to pay the $16-$18 for a cd.  I honestly don't see how they stay in business.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 01:46:19 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
Quote from: "wankerjr"

Or you can pick them up at deepdiscountcd.com for about $10 shipped free.  biggrin

If you go to places like Disc Jockey or Sam Goody, you can expect to pay the $16-$18 for a cd.  I honestly don't see how they stay in business.

They weren't, Bestbuy was closing Sam goodies left and right, but they're having business strategy changes all the time. Essentially now, SG and Suncoast are Best Buy's margin stores. They rely on the mall traffic and the convience factor of being in a mall and charge a little more, but they make a little more too because BB is using it's purchasing power to make it happen.

Also, FYE is pretty much out of business and they were one of those mall stores, in fact a lot of Sam Goodies turned into FYEs and now they're getting closed left and right.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: