http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 07:12:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Chick disses GT!  (Read 12345 times)
Dirt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »

Quote from: Zero on August 18, 2006, 08:26:33 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on August 18, 2006, 08:24:58 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 18, 2006, 07:42:50 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 18, 2006, 05:10:53 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 18, 2006, 04:20:38 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 18, 2006, 04:19:16 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 18, 2006, 04:11:36 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 18, 2006, 04:09:30 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 18, 2006, 04:00:57 PM

Quote from: warning on August 18, 2006, 03:24:32 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 18, 2006, 03:03:25 PM

Quote from: warning on August 17, 2006, 04:45:21 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 17, 2006, 04:29:00 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 17, 2006, 04:13:44 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 17, 2006, 04:12:17 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 17, 2006, 01:37:19 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 17, 2006, 04:34:28 AM

Quote from: Calvin on August 17, 2006, 01:28:53 AM

Quote from: Dirt on August 16, 2006, 11:54:34 PM

Tom has a wry and ironic sense of humour.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised that he read the thread about U2K and decided to give a friendly pinch back.

Dude, you've been trying WAAAY too hard to kiss ass in the Tom Chick threads lately..you get kicked out of there recently?
Dude, you trying to pick a fight with me?

At every opportunity. And pointing out the crap you do is not necessarily picking a fight, its just easy these days. Made yourself a bit of a huge target.
Back off, bud.  I don't want to impugn on Knightshade Dragon's good will.
Meh
Dude, I don't even know you.
Is there any reason why this silly conversation isn't happening via email or PM?  Somewhere else please.
finger
  icon_wink
Bite me cartoon-boy!  ninja2

(BTW nested quotes = fun!)
Is there any reason why this silly conversation isn't happening via email or PM?
Somewhere else please.
I'm thinking forum feedback would be a good place to move this. Especially considering the point now is to see how many quotes it takes to break SMF.  drool

Arkon did it already, and far more spectacularly.  Leave it to the expert, folks.
Link?

It was on the beta boards, I easily had over 150 nested quotes I believe.

Now that's just showing off. I respect that.
Bah.  You're all silly!
Actually Arkon had closer to 200...and he had pictures in his...and it didn't break ninja
Pictures are for cheaters.
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2006, 09:18:01 PM »

Quote from: Dirt on August 18, 2006, 09:05:37 PM

Quote from: Zero on August 18, 2006, 08:26:33 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on August 18, 2006, 08:24:58 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 18, 2006, 07:42:50 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 18, 2006, 05:10:53 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 18, 2006, 04:20:38 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 18, 2006, 04:19:16 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 18, 2006, 04:11:36 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 18, 2006, 04:09:30 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 18, 2006, 04:00:57 PM

Quote from: warning on August 18, 2006, 03:24:32 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 18, 2006, 03:03:25 PM

Quote from: warning on August 17, 2006, 04:45:21 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 17, 2006, 04:29:00 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 17, 2006, 04:13:44 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 17, 2006, 04:12:17 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 17, 2006, 01:37:19 PM

Quote from: Dirt on August 17, 2006, 04:34:28 AM

Quote from: Calvin on August 17, 2006, 01:28:53 AM

Quote from: Dirt on August 16, 2006, 11:54:34 PM

Tom has a wry and ironic sense of humour.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised that he read the thread about U2K and decided to give a friendly pinch back.

Dude, you've been trying WAAAY too hard to kiss ass in the Tom Chick threads lately..you get kicked out of there recently?
Dude, you trying to pick a fight with me?

At every opportunity. And pointing out the crap you do is not necessarily picking a fight, its just easy these days. Made yourself a bit of a huge target.
Back off, bud.  I don't want to impugn on Knightshade Dragon's good will.
Meh
Dude, I don't even know you.
Is there any reason why this silly conversation isn't happening via email or PM?  Somewhere else please.
finger
  icon_wink
Bite me cartoon-boy!  ninja2

(BTW nested quotes = fun!)
Is there any reason why this silly conversation isn't happening via email or PM?
Somewhere else please.
I'm thinking forum feedback would be a good place to move this. Especially considering the point now is to see how many quotes it takes to break SMF.  drool

Arkon did it already, and far more spectacularly.  Leave it to the expert, folks.
Link?

It was on the beta boards, I easily had over 150 nested quotes I believe.

Now that's just showing off. I respect that.
Bah.  You're all silly!
Actually Arkon had closer to 200...and he had pictures in his...and it didn't break ninja
Pictures are for cheaters.
It's like one of those transition screens in the old 8088 PC games....
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2006, 09:23:07 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on August 17, 2006, 12:00:31 AM

He is a freelance game reviewer, most prominently featured in Computer Games Magazine. I actually kind of like Tom Chick's reviews. He is articulate and backs up his opinions on games. Sometimes though I get the feeling he goes against popular though just for the sake of saying "Look at me! I'm a rebel! I'm COOL!". Just from reading the boards on QT3, it's apparent to me that he is a legend in his own mind.

Yep, he really does seem to enjoy "rallying against the mainstream", especially on big releases that generate lots of hype.  I like his writing, mainly for Shoot Club and Tom vs. Bruce, but I don't read any of his game reviews.  When he proposed "leaving fun out of the equation", that pretty much killed any interest I might have had for his opinion on which games are "good".

glyc
TomChick
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2006, 12:10:55 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish
Sometimes though I get the feeling he goes against popular though just for the sake of saying "Look at me! I'm a rebel! I'm COOL!". Just from reading the boards on QT3, it's apparent to me that he is a legend in his own mind.

Ouch.  Not sure how to respond to that last part, other than to assure you I have just as much self-doubt and loathing as the next guy.  Legend in my own mind?  Hardly.  My mother tends to think pretty highly of me, though.

As for going against "popular thought", I rarely even keep up with "popular thought".  I don't read reviews before I've written my own, and as I so clumsily demonstrated by calling Gaming Trend 'fifth-rate', I don't even keep up with the gaming press. 

So I can assure you that I'm just like the rest of you guys: if I like or don't like something, it's for no reason other than liking or not liking it.

Quote from: glycerine
When he proposed "leaving fun out of the equation", that pretty much killed any interest I might have had for his opinion on which games are "good".

When did I propose "leaving fun out of the equation"?  How silly would that be?

I have, however, whinged about reviewers who use the word "fun" as a descriptor.  Like "good" -- which you rightly shut between quotes, glycerine -- it's one of those highly subjective words that means different things to different people.  If you're talking to your buddies, or shooting the bull on a forum or something, then, yeah, talk about 'fun' all you want. 

But if you're trying to communicate something meaningful about a game for a wider audience, "fun" is almost always the hallmark of a lazy or inarticulate writer.  Telling me 'Game X is fun' or 'Feature Y is fun' doesn't mean anything to me other than that you liked it.  I'd rather have you explain why you like it.

-Tom, who is actually pro-fun
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 12:18:25 AM by TomChick » Logged
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2006, 12:24:38 AM »

Quote from: TomChick on August 19, 2006, 12:10:55 AM

But if you're trying to communicate something meaningful about a game for a wider audience, "fun" is almost always the hallmark of a lazy or inarticulate writer.  Telling me 'Game X is fun' or 'Feature Y is fun' doesn't mean anything to me other than that you liked it.  I'd rather have you explain why you like it.

What if they just said "the gameplay is good."   icon_biggrin

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2006, 01:02:18 AM »

Sometimes though I get the feeling he goes against popular though just for the sake of saying "Look at me! I'm a rebel! I'm COOL!". Just from reading the boards on QT3, it's apparent to me that he is a legend in his own mind.

Ouch.  Not sure how to respond to that last part, other than to assure you I have just as much self-doubt and loathing as the next guy.  Legend in my own mind?  Hardly.  My mother tends to think pretty highly of me, though.

As for going against "popular thought", I rarely even keep up with "popular thought".  I don't read reviews before I've written my own, and as I so clumsily demonstrated by calling Gaming Trend 'fifth-rate', I don't even keep up with the gaming press.

So I can assure you that I'm just like the rest of you guys: if I like or don't like something, it's for no reason other than liking or not liking it.

Wow, do I ever feel like a tool now. Well, whether I agree or disagree with your reviews, at least they are well written and more compelling than what most other reviewers write. I will give you credit for that. I think maybe I am turned off by your persona on the QT3 boards more so than how you come across in your publication articles. I do find it interesting that occasionally, you will write a review of game that is completely opposite in opinion compared to what most other reviewers say. If anything, Tom, at least you are an interesting character in the large community of game reviewers.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2006, 01:31:41 AM »

Ye Olde Farte
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2006, 01:46:45 AM »

Quote from: TomChick on August 19, 2006, 12:10:55 AM

Ouch.  Not sure how to respond to that last part, othr than to assure you I have just as much self-doubt and loathing as the next guy.  Legend in my own mind?  Hardly.  My mother tends to think pretty highly of me, though.

Quote from: glycerine
When he proposed "leaving fun out of the equation", that pretty much killed any interest I might have had for his opinion on which games are "good".

When did I propose "leaving fun out of the equation"?  How silly would that be?

I have, however, whinged about reviewers who use the word "fun" as a descriptor.  Like "good" -- which you rightly shut between quotes, glycerine -- it's one of those highly subjective words that means different things to different people.  If you're talking to your buddies, or shooting the bull on a forum or something, then, yeah, talk about 'fun' all you want. 

Couldn't agree more.  Quantification is something that is severely lacking in modern media reviews.  If it is the "best game evar!!1!" then tell me why.   I try not to resort to "fun" unless there is a mystic quality that just defys all logic about the game.  (e.g. the game is mindless and, on the surface, dull looking, but damn it is fun to play)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2006, 01:47:06 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on August 19, 2006, 01:31:41 AM

You mind if I add that smiley to our list dbt?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2006, 02:25:12 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 19, 2006, 01:47:06 AM

thumbsup

Ye Olde Farte
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2006, 03:38:08 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on August 19, 2006, 02:25:12 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 19, 2006, 01:47:06 AM

thumbsup

And done.   Bring your own!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2006, 03:50:39 AM »

Quote from: Tom Chick
Let's hunt some orc!

It's entered my lexicon.  To the dismay of practically everyone I know...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TomChick
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2006, 06:03:41 AM »

Quote from: Ron Burke, except using some sort of funky psuedonym so you wouldn't know it's him unless you read the tag at the bottom of his post, which is kind of like those bylines he admits he doesn't read <insert smiley here>
I try not to resort to "fun" unless there is a mystic quality that just defys all logic about the game.  (e.g. the game is mindless and, on the surface, dull looking, but damn it is fun to play)

I get what you're saying, Ron, but I think that's a classic example of what I'm talking about.  If there's something about a game that eludes your ability to articulate why you like it, I think you just need to try harder.  And I'm not saying that to be judgmental.  Because lord knows, I've been in the same place.

LocoRoco, for example, isn't that great for a number of reasons.  But it sure is fun.  The challenge is to explain why it's fun, which is what I hope I've done when I write about it.  To just write it off as something mystical that defies all logic doesn't really help the average reader, who doesn't know me from Adam and wouldn't know what the heck it's supposed to mean when I think something is fun.

Take Killer 7, for instance.  It was one of my favorite games from the last, I dunno, five/ten years, but it was really hard to articulate why.  But I fully understand why folks wouldn't like it.  My job is to break that down. 

Or flight sims.  Hard core flight sims.  I used to love that stuff.  For me, figuring out avionics was fun.  But I can't very well put that in a review, because when someone who doesn't like figuring out hardcore avionics picks up this flight sim and can't make heads nor tails of it, I've completely lost him.  The same way that someone who raves about the New Super Mario Brothers being fun loses me, because I pick that up and -- old fogey that I am -- think, 'Man, I thought platformers had gone beyond this kind of SNES stuff...'

Anyway, I'm not trying to bag on you.  But your example is exactly what I'm talking about.  And it's why you won't find the word 'fun' in any of my reviews.  Not because I hate fun.  On the contrary, I love it, and think it's far too vital to leave to a little three-letter word that means different things to different people.

-Tom
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2006, 06:10:55 AM »

I get what you're saying, Ron, but I think that's a classic example of what I'm talking about.  If there's something about a game that eludes your ability to articulate why you like it, I think you just need to try harder.  And I'm not saying that to be judgmental.  Because lord knows, I've been in the same place.
  I have the perfect example for you Tom.  Here is my review for Chromehounds.  http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=628

The game is absolutely broken in many ways, but you can bet that it soaked 70+ hours (and counting) from many of us.  While I didn't shy away from using the word 'fun', I did quantify it quite a bit. I would never simply say that a game is fun and leave it at that.  You are right, that would be lazy.  I don't let the staff do it either.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bag on you.  But your example is exactly what I'm talking about.  And it's why you won't find the word 'fun' in any of my reviews.  Not because I hate fun.  On the contrary, I love it, and think it's far too vital to leave to a little three-letter word that means different things to different people.

-Tom
No problem.  When you (if you?) read my reviews you'll see that I take great pains to make sure that I've pored over as much detail as I can to explain why you should or shouldn't buy a game, as well as what makes it 'fun', or not..  No lumping me in with the rest of the press. slywink 

(and by the way, neat trick on the quote.  SMF is new to me..didn't know you could do that. hehe)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2006, 12:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon who apparently didn't realize you could do this on our old boards as well <insert another smiley here> on August 19, 2006, 06:10:55 AM

(and by the way, neat trick on the quote.  SMF is new to me..didn't know you could do that. hehe)

Zing!

By the way Tom, it's very classy of you to both apologize as well as spend a bit of time here posting your thoughts.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2006, 04:19:54 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 19, 2006, 01:46:45 AM

I try not to resort to "fun" unless there is a mystic quality that just defys all logic about the game.  (e.g. the game is mindless and, on the surface, dull looking, but damn it is fun to play)

I gotta agree with Ron on this one.  Some games just DEFY explanation about why you play them, and "Fun" seems to fit perfectly to some very specific games.  Why does a game, with little substance, and really isn't very good, suck 50-100 hours of your time?  There are several examples of this on the DS, games that by all accounts, should be STUPID, but you find yourself playing them endlessly.  Fun seems to be a good descriptor of such animals.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2006, 07:40:45 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 19, 2006, 04:19:54 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 19, 2006, 01:46:45 AM

I gotta agree with Ron on this one.  Some games just DEFY explanation about why you play them, and "Fun" seems to fit perfectly to some very specific games.  Why does a game, with little substance, and really isn't very good, suck 50-100 hours of your time?  There are several examples of this on the DS, games that by all accounts, should be STUPID, but you find yourself playing them endlessly.  Fun seems to be a good descriptor of such animals.

I think the main point Tom is making, though, is to challenge yourself to think of an explanation, or to even think of what defines that fun. It's more or less an ideology, something to strive for, to come up with something more articulate.

Regardless, I can see both points, and it's kind of why I don't try to review any games anymore. I have too much trouble trying to articulate beyond fun.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »

Tom Chick, restored to awesome in my eyes.  Takes a lot of fortitude after saying that to come into the house you spoke ill of and make amends, and then contribute to a thread of substance.   I agree completely with his take that dissecting "fun" is the difference between a professional review and a post to an impressions thread.  Getting it right (or even properly wrong) on a regular basis is what divides posters from writers.  If it were easy, anyone could do it.   So I can have my cake and eat it, too, I certainly understand Ron's somewhat diverging opinion as well.

On a side note, you have to be approved to post over there?  I seem to remember just joining.  How I got past anyone's criteria I will never know.  retard  I guess when you just soak up content and make single-digit posts a year, its hard to leave a paper trail to be remembered, much less piss anyone off.  If I just stuck to one forum, perhaps I could make a mark.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:39:49 PM by Rhinohelix » Logged

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
TomChick
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2006, 01:00:31 AM »

Hey Rhino,

Yeah, the forum rules and the automated email clearly explain that you have to email me directly to get a Quarter To Three account activated.  Yet fewer than 1 in 10 new accounts email me, either because it's probably too much trouble or because folks don't read the rules or email.

And even then, the only prerequisite is that you introduce yourself without being cagey or inane or overly juvenile.  I'm very clear that anything I'm told will be kept confidential and that anonymity is guaranteed to anyone who wants it.  We even had a situation in which I was threatened with lawyers when someone violated an NDA and the developer wanted to find out who it was.

Someone like Untouchable2K wouldn't get turned on -- his account was activated, along with a bunch of others, when the software was updated -- based on his general demeanor.  ATB wasn't turned on based on him not really being willing to tell me who he was.

So I'm pretty open for the most part, but with a few simple rules to try to keep the signal/noise ratio up.

-Tom
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2006, 01:13:20 AM »

ATB wasn't turned on based on him not really being willing to tell me who he was.

I beg to differ.  The link to Bovine Conspriacy clearly shows that I answered your questions repeatedly and had my responses ignored.

It's water under the bridge Tom. I'm still a fan.  No worries.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2006, 02:53:09 AM »

Quote from: ATB on August 20, 2006, 01:13:20 AM

ATB wasn't turned on based on him not really being willing to tell me who he was.

I beg to differ.  The link to Bovine Conspriacy clearly shows that I answered your questions repeatedly and had my responses ignored.

It's water under the bridge Tom. I'm still a fan.  No worries.

Oddly enough, ATB, in that email exchange, I don't think you one gave him your Actual Name, you know, truly introduced yourself. I really think it's something more simple, like my real name is Horatio, I live in Bumpass Virginia, and I sell paint for a living, I was referred by some internet buddies to QT3 and I look forward to contributing intelligent conversation. Bam, you're introduced and he now knows who you really are.

Sure you told him a lot about you and things you think and feel, but you never once gave him your name and where you're from. So I hope I don't sound like a total wanker, but I don't even think you answered any of his questions completely or at all.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:57:52 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »

Funny all of this - I get my Computer Gaming World today and what is inside?  A picture of Tom Chick and the latest episode of Tom and Bruce (which I'll admit I never read until now).  Funny how this world spins. 

Tom, your boiling down of Sun Tsu made me laugh.  I'm not an executive, but I do keep a pocket copy of it on my desk.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TomChick
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker
I really think it's something more simple, like my real name is Horatio, I live in Bumpass Virginia, and I sell paint for a living, I was referred by some internet buddies to QT3 and I look forward to contributing intelligent conversation. Bam, you're introduced and he now knows who you really are.

Exactly, Tebunker.  It's a simple matter of being willing to be open about your identity.  I'm open about mine, and I expect the same regard from anyone who wants to join my forum.  Once you're in, you're of course welcome to be anonymous to everyone else.  This is, after all, the internet.

It's partly a matter of mutual respect.  But it's also because I think it means a lot, if things are getting out of hand, to be able to PM someone and say 'Hey, John, can you do me a favor and tone it down?'  There's nothing like the veil of anonymity to unleash a person's inner a-hole; similarly, there's nothing like the personal connection of a real name to appeal to someone's decency.

Of course, folks can just make up a name if they want and I'd have no way of knowing.  So it's more the general approach that I look for.  Of course, ATB doesn't win any points by going and posting a private email exchange.  I understand his frustration, but frankly, I think that's pretty low. frown

-Tom
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2006, 12:25:28 PM »

Wow,other people can't sleep at night either.  :icon_confused:

Ye Olde Farte
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »

I was never directly asked my name. I was asked about me.  I've only regularly posted on 1/2 a dozen Internet forums (even less than that if you group GG, CG, GT, BC, and OO as one <no offense, KD>) but I've signed up for many. Never before has anyone asked me anything so personal or direct. What makes Qt3 so special that I should I divulge who I actually am? Only people I get to know and trust (or meet in person) get the scoop- or those who visit sites over time where I regularly post and read what I write. 

That said, next time you're in Raleigh,  Tom, let's meet and we can have a sit down and I'll share with you...my soul.

I'm not going to post on this anymore. I harbor no ill will and sincerely apologize if posting the exchange has done you wrong. Regardless, I appreciate your perspectives and the fact that you 'manned up' and posted at GT.  Good luck to you and Qt3.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:06:26 PM by ATB » Logged
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »

Sorry,but you don't get into heaven by good deeds alone.

You also need a resume.  icon_wink

Ye Olde Farte
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2006, 03:14:08 PM »

Bloody tals  Roll Eyes
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2006, 05:30:33 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 20, 2006, 01:01:16 PM

I was never directly asked my name. I was asked about me.  I've only regularly posted on 1/2 a dozen Internet forums (even less than that if you group GG, CG, GT, BC, and OO as one <no offense, KD>) but I've signed up for many. Never before has anyone asked me anything so personal or direct. What makes Qt3 so special that I should I divulge who I actually am? Only people I get to know and trust (or meet in person) get the scoop- or those who visit sites over time where I regularly post and read what I write. 

This is the crux of the matter really.  I've been doing this junk since the 70's, BBS's, FidoNet, you name it.  I have never REQUIRED anyone to divuldge their personal information to me, nor would I expect to be required to do it to anyone else.  In this day of creeps, wackos, stalkers, and govt. privacy violations, maintaining SOME Level of anonymity control has merit.

Tin Hat people like me, use fake information everywhere.  I won't go into explicit details, but will just say I use an Alias IRL for anything internet related, including paypal, address labels, Ebay, you name it, and the address I use is a rental property.  I enjoy having 1-4 layers between my actual identity, and the one most people know about.  You won't find me on open databases, online investigation services, or on any phone lookup.

I guess I just don't trust people in general and can fully understand others who don't like to dilvuldge information.

TomChick
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2006, 07:48:55 PM »

Quote from: ATB
What makes Qt3 so special that I should I divulge who I actually am?

Nothing whatsoever.  We're just another website, albeit a really minor one with a small and fairly close community.  If you don't want to introduce yourself to me, you don't have to join in, but you can read the forum all you want.  You can even PM other members if you want to contact them.

It's worth noting, ATB, that you signed up with a gmail account under the game 'gggametrader', which looks to me like someone trying to advertise a game trading site.  We get a lot of that.  You had some stuff in your email name about "Proclaiming Christ", which points to a very definite agenda.  We get a lot of that, too, from people who saw something in the Politics and Religion forum and just want to jump all a single thread rather than participate in the forum as a whole.  Furthermore, I think advertising your religion is a little tacky and overpersonal coming from someone who refuses to disclose even a first name and instead goes by a set of initials. 

Nothing in our email exhange allayed my suspicion about your motives, and therefore I decided you weren't the kind of guy I wanted on the site.  The fact that you've publically disclosed a private email exchange makes me think I was right.  However, seeing the quality of your participation here on GT makes me think I was wrong.  In the end, it's always a judgment call that's never going to be 100% correct.

-Tom
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2006, 08:39:13 PM »

Tom, you want him at Qt3, he's a great read in religious threads or when something immoral like homosexuality comes up.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2006, 10:05:28 PM »

This is one of the reasons I think Tom is arrogant.  Pre-Judging people based on an email address and the content of a signature on his email?  You became judge, jury, and executioner on a poor guy that just wanted to join a forum to chat, and as a result lost a guy valued as a good member on many forums..  For a guy that wants people to "Trust" him with their personal data, you seem pretty goddamn untrusting and prejudgemental there pal.

So let me get this right...  According to Chick:

Jesus is great.  -signed ATB    is tacky and overpersonal.

Jesus is great. -signed Biff Biffton   is OK because he used a name.

My opinion of Tom Chick has further been reinforced based on this thread.  retard

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2006, 10:19:58 PM »

I thought he explained his reasons pretty well Kobra. They made perfect sense to me. 99% of the people get into Qt3 fine is seems, there were just a couple of flags that TC thought were odd and so he didn't let him in. It's his forum, and a very good one, so he is obviously doing something right.

ATB would be a good addition to Qt3, but the posting of a private email would pretty much close the book on the subject if it was me.

Then again, I really don't care enough either way.

Edit: When you first heard the name of Tom Chick on OO Korbra, you made some comment that he must be an idiot because of his name. So your opinion of people already doesn't mean a damn thing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 10:22:51 PM by Lee » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2006, 11:03:22 PM »

I think we should close this thread.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2006, 11:05:15 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 20, 2006, 10:19:58 PM

Edit: When you first heard the name of Tom Chick on OO Korbra, you made some comment that he must be an idiot because of his name. So your opinion of people already doesn't mean a damn thing.

Its "Kobra" to you, only my sex slaves can call me "Korbra".  Get over OO, I  have and moved on, stop dragging it infront of my face on this forum, you people seem to just not let shit rest.

I vote for a lock on this thread.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2006, 11:09:12 PM »

Only Batman can save this thread now!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2006, 11:15:50 PM »

Jiminy jillickers ... to change the subject to something more pleasant: 5/5 for Dead Rising, Tom?   icon_wink  I understand you use the rating to convey "the reviewer's enthusiasm for a game", but shouldn't that enthusiasm be tempered with the pitfalls that are also present in a game?  Considering you are writing your reviews for gamers, doesn't the fact that many people have serious problems with certain aspects of the game (saves, dumb AI, enless escorts, controls, timed, forced restarts, etc) lead you to think that perhaps you were a bit over enthusiastic?  If not, can you explain why?  (that's not an attack, I would honestly like to know your feelings on the subject)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2006, 12:14:23 AM »

As one of GT's reviewers, when you're dealing with a /5 or /10 system (or letter grades), I can see loving a game -so much- during the review process that it's worth a top score from you.  This is honestly one of the best things about Game Rankings.  Think someone's giving a game a soft review?  Compare it.  Honestly, it's what I do after writing my reviews and sending them to be editted, so that I have an idea of where I stand.  Sometimes I'm higher, sometimes I'm lower, quite often I'm close to the average.

Although the game I'm writing the review for now...may not be.  I'm enjoying it too damn much, even with its issues. biggrin

And the next one...oh my god...

Anyway, welcome to the site, Tom.  I've always loved your columns in CGW, especially Tom vs. Bruce. 

-Jason
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »

I don't care much for Metacritic or GameRankings, as they don't factor the "Curve" most sites have.  I like idea this guy has for his new upcoming meta-system.

http://www.metafuture.com/2006/08/04/format-change/

You can further examine the ludicrous scales that some sites are using;

http://www.metafuture.com/2006/08/05/an-analysis-of-gamespot-review-scores/

http://www.metafuture.com/2006/08/06/an-analysis-of-ign-review-scores/

About time someone started tracking this, because the "Average" rating for many sites isn't a 5, it is 8.0-8.2..  I think a lot of gamers see an 8 and go "OMGZORZ, it must be good!", not realising that the scale these guys have is borked, and that it is merely average.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2006, 12:26:46 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 21, 2006, 12:20:37 AM

About time someone started tracking this, because the "Average" rating for many sites isn't a 5, it is 8.0-8.2..  I think a lot of gamers see an 8 and go "OMGZORZ, it must be good!", not realising that the scale these guys have is borked, and that it is merely average.

I would agree, that's why if its a game I really am interested in, I read the review before I buy. Glad I do, I would have bought Dead Rising, but the time limit stuff really puts me off of a game and I don't think I would have enjoyed it.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2006, 12:35:20 AM »

Quote from: TomChick on August 20, 2006, 07:48:55 PM

It's worth noting, ATB, that you signed up with a gmail account under the game 'gggametrader', which looks to me like someone trying to advertise a game trading site.  We get a lot of that.  You had some stuff in your email name about "Proclaiming Christ", which points to a very definite agenda.  We get a lot of that, too, from people who saw something in the Politics and Religion forum and just want to jump all a single thread rather than participate in the forum as a whole. 

What if he was trying to advertise games, about Jesus?!

Sells pain indeed ninja
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: