http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 09:22:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today I weep...  (Read 477 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »

This morning I found out that Amazon will be opening a Fulfillment Center in SE Baltimore at the old GM Plant creating 1000 jobs which is a good thing for my city, but I still weep.  Why do I weep you may ask cause jobs are a good thing.  I weep cause I will soon have to pay taxes on my purchases from Amazon... that's 6% sales tax on my shit  crybaby  crybaby  crybaby  crybaby  crybaby
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:18:19 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »

*Pays 22% tax, plus import tolls and fees as well as shipping when buying from Amazon AND has to wait longer for stuff to arrive*

You lucky bastard! Tongue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:08:20 AM »

Yes I doubt that most of the rest of the world feels very sorry for you. smile
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »

Honestly, I know and the loophole in the tax code is about to be  closed if Congress could ever agree on anything.   sheesh, Tilt 22% to start with... wow
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:29:19 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »

That's funny you mention that. Every time I visit Amazon now I remind myself that soon I will be paying taxes myself since I am moving to WA. I hate it when people say this, but: First world problems...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »

you never know, the tax could go away if it goes to MD's high courts.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 23, 2013, 11:10:32 AM

Honestly, I know and the loophole in the tax is about to closed if Congress could ever agree on anything.   sheesh, Tilt 22% to start with... wow

Norway is built around this kind of thing though. Our salaries are higher to compensate, and we have free healthcare, freeing up that part of our budget. These things only appear expensive if you're a foreigner trying to purchase something in Norway.

For example, when I buy a PS4 next month it'll cost me $600. However, these $600 are roughly equivalent to a $350 price tag in the US, a number that should look familiar. That $600 purchase won't set me back economically any more than an American at my income level would be set back by paying $350 for the same item.

Still, I have very little to gain from buying stuff at Amazon. Even at American price levels, the taxes, tolls and shipping costs add up to a point where I might as well buy locally (which also gives me dramatically improved consumer rights. If my PS4 breaks down from regular usage within the first 5 years after buying it, the place where I bought it, assuming it's Norwegian, must either repair it or provide me a new one, free of charge. Seriously.). And that's the whole point of the taxes to begin with.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:31:57 AM by TiLT » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »

of course, if small businesses got the Amazon tax to pass here I'd still shop at Amazon, perhaps even more, just out of spite icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 23, 2013, 11:21:52 AM

That's funny you mention that. Every time I visit Amazon now I remind myself that soon I will be paying taxes myself since I am moving to WA. I hate it when people say this, but: First world problems...

On the plus side we have pot.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »

Yeah, we're getting hit with 9.25% sales tax on Amazon purchases starting Jan 1.  First NewEgg, now Amazon - pah.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 23, 2013, 04:48:15 PM

Yeah, we're getting hit with 9.25% sales tax on Amazon purchases starting Jan 1.  First NewEgg, now Amazon - pah.

at least we still get tax free on newegg here.  always had amazon tax though. (WA resident)

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »

Amazon started charging in VA this summer. Of course my wife is an honest accountant and makes us pay it anyways  crybaby
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 02:50:02 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 23, 2013, 09:01:07 PM

Amazon started charging in VA this summer. Of course my wife is an honest accountant and makes us pay it anyways  crybaby

I was really excited to see the two distribution centers opened in Central Va area. The areas needed a jobs influx. I also wanted to see if I could figure out what exactly I could order and get faster than normal. At least VA sales tax is fairly low.

I moved to Cleveland last summer, fortunately I don't pay tax on purchases in OH, because it is 8% which isn't horribad, but I am glad I can save where I can.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 07:40:25 AM »

This is bordering on P&R but doesn't that help with your country's financial troubles?

A new one
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 24, 2013, 07:40:25 AM

This is bordering on P&R but doesn't that help with your country's financial troubles?

I think the country financial issues are over exaggerated depending on your source, but I don't want to turn this into R&P but there was a good thread on OO about this.  Saying that jobs that will be created from this warehouse is a great thing.  The city has been pushing to get someone to take over that plot of land since GM left.

NiM$
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 23, 2013, 05:12:59 PM

Quote from: Laner on October 23, 2013, 04:48:15 PM

at least we still get tax free on newegg here.  always had amazon tax though. (WA resident)

Living in SoCal means I've always paid taxes on newegg, but the benefit is I live close enough to pick up my stuff from their will call counter. No shipping fees and if I order before 10am I can pick it up same day.

Every time I go I want to run through the door running back to the warehouse. 'puter stuffs!! icon_eek
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »

The taxes are state taxes.  There is no federal sales tax.  So locally, it might help but nationally (which is the debt you probably hear about) it won't.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »

Quote from: stessier on October 25, 2013, 06:55:30 PM

The taxes are state taxes.  There is no federal sales tax.  So locally, it might help but nationally (which is the debt you probably hear about) it won't.

Aha! Thanks - I did not know there was a difference, since in Denmark its all one Tax :-)

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: