http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To anyone using a unlocked/modified iPhone:  (Read 1007 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone here has unlocked their iPhone or modified the software in some way, but if you did you might want to hold off on updating it.  It looks like the new update will 'most likely' render hacked iPhones permanently inoperable.

I wonder if this is just a scare tactic or not.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »

Yeah I'm holding off.  This is dumb.  I'm now able to use my iPhone to its fullest - I have an RSS reader, a chat application, GPS, book reader, an expanded dashboard, cool game apps (tap tap revolution, blackjack, etc.).  Also all of my custom icons, themes, backgrounds, carrier images... nevermind all of the productivity apps like mobile excel, picture viewer, word, etc.  Previously, Apple said they didn't care about third party apps.

Sucky.  I'll hold off and see what the reports are when the update hits.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »

The general consensus around Mac sites is that this means folks who've hacked their SIM card to be able to connect to T-Mobile or another non-AT&T network. It doesn't appear that just installing software will be enough to brick the phone, but that if you changed the firmware to make T-Mobile possible, Apple's not makin' any promises.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 04:55:12 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 25, 2007, 04:53:56 PM

The general consensus around Mac sites is that this means folks who've hacked their SIM card to be able to connect to T-Mobile or another non-AT&T network. It doesn't appear that just installing software will be enough to brick the phone, but that if you changed the firmware to make T-Mobile possible, Apple's not makin' any promises.

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. Still, at the very least, if you've done any modification to your iPhone, I wouldn't exactly be one of the first to rush out and patch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 04:55:59 PM »

There is a story going around that Apple breaking people's iPhones may be illegal.  So I'm guessing they will hold off until the legalities are worked out... I'm sure Steve Jobs doesn't want to be facing even more jail time at this point.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 25, 2007, 04:55:59 PM

There is a story going around that Apple breaking people's iPhones may be illegal.  So I'm guessing they will hold off until the legalities are worked out... I'm sure Steve Jobs doesn't want to be facing even more jail time at this point.

Uh, this is absurd. If they want to modify the firmware of the phone to ensure that it only works with the network specifically specified by Apple in the service agreement, they can. Sony releases firmware update that frequently bricks funky PSPs. This not a new concept.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 07:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 25, 2007, 06:47:03 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on September 25, 2007, 04:55:59 PM

There is a story going around that Apple breaking people's iPhones may be illegal.  So I'm guessing they will hold off until the legalities are worked out... I'm sure Steve Jobs doesn't want to be facing even more jail time at this point.

Uh, this is absurd. If they want to modify the firmware of the phone to ensure that it only works with the network specifically specified by Apple in the service agreement, they can. Sony releases firmware update that frequently bricks funky PSPs. This not a new concept.

The issue is with devices which use SIM cards, which the PSP does not.  Is it absurd?  Beats me, nobody requested my opinion when they wrote the law (which seems to happen more and more these days.  It's infuriating).  Read all about it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 07:04:21 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 07:49:19 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 25, 2007, 07:02:28 PM

The issue is with devices which use SIM cards, which the PSP does not.  Is it absurd?  Beats me, nobody requested my opinion when they wrote the law (which seems to happen more and more these days.  It's infuriating).  Read all about it.

That's actually an interesting read into the entire 'legality' issue with patching and the iPhone. I highly recommend looking over it. Nice find.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:41:17 PM »

Interesting, it appears that this defense is based on the Magnuson-Moss act, which is the same thing that applies when you modify part of your car but still want warranty service for the rest of it.  If they deny warranty coverage, the warrantor is supposed to prove that your change caused the failing.  This is tricky when, for example, you chip your car for additional HP, but they deny your warranty claim on the drivetrain because they discover the mod.  Did the one affect the other?  Hard to say in many cases.  Unfortunately, if they deny your claim, your recourse is filing a lawsuit, which is basically a non-starter for individual cases like this because of the cost.

This, I guess, is more general so perhaps could be addressed with a single class-action suit?  Calvin's the lawyer, so he should find a paralegal to do all the research and then respond with a reasoned opinion. slywink
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 06:02:07 PM »

Calvin, I hope my post didn't come across as snarky, it wasn't meant to be.  I actually should have included the link in my earlier post as well, but I was in between doing things at the time.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »

apparently the update is out now.  gizmodo has it but i haven't gone through the comments to see if it bricks or not. 

after an initial gleaming, it looks like at&t service + 3rd party apps are fine after update, but you need to restore to default first. 

with and unlocked sim, there's some reports of bricking, some saying update is fine, but it relocks to at&t service. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:37:13 PM by Caine » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »

Now does anything force you to update?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 09:53:45 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 27, 2007, 08:35:07 PM

As long as you never connect your phone to your PC again (while having a connection to the 'net), and/or never update iTunes again, no.

At least I think this is how it works.

unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »

I've gotten addicted to the Fake Steve Jobs blog (The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs).

Here is from his "To All iPhone customers" post:

Second, to those people who played by the rules and didn't do anything harmful to their iPhone and still experienced some minor problems like having their iPhone turned into a brick by our software update, let me say this: being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before all the problems were worked out of the hardware or the operating system or whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the vendor to actually get everything working right, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something that isn't quite right. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of frustration and anger, plus the envy and admiration of all your friends.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 10:53:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 27, 2007, 09:53:45 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on September 27, 2007, 08:35:07 PM

As long as you never connect your phone to your PC again (while having a connection to the 'net), and/or never update iTunes again, no.

At least I think this is how it works.
That's entirely incorrect.  You can update iTunes, sync your iPhone to iTunes, having a connection to your computer while synching, etc.  All you have to do is check a small little box in iTunes (check for updates automatically).  Even if you don't, all you have to do is check the prompt to not update.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: