http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:27:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TiVo Series 3 = $800.00  (Read 2142 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2006, 04:55:30 AM »

Wonder if it comes with cables?  icon_twisted

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:38:56 AM »

Yes. Yes it does come with cables, including an HDMI cable (take that you cheap Sony bastards).

How would I know? I work for Tivo.  icon_biggrin
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 08:23:13 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 06, 2006, 07:38:56 AM

Yes. Yes it does come with cables, including an HDMI cable (take that you cheap Sony bastards).

How would I know? I work for Tivo.  icon_biggrin

Do ya now?  You, sir, have made TV worth watching again.  I thank you for that.  smile 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:05:23 PM »

I'll be honest; I'd love one of these so that I could record in HD.  But since I bought a series two a couple years ago, and I bought the lifetime subscription because I loathe monthly fees (and if I understand properly, that's the only way to go with TiVo now?), it'll be a long long time before I pick one of these babies up.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »

Eager to see reviews of the Series 3.  Looking forward to recording HD content that is not just OTA.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 03:41:45 PM »

I've had the DirecTV HD Tivo (which is pretty close in capabilities to the Series 3) and I've been enormously satisfied with it.  Series 3 has been a long time coming (probably too long) but it looks to be worth it. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 04:36:38 PM »

I'm all over this.  I've had my Series 2 since 2003 and it has served me well.  I can't wait for this thing.

* gellar will get the lifetime subscription this time.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »

Uhh, guys I hate to be the one to tell you, but the lifetime subscription option was discontinued quite some time ago. The subscription structure is now more like a cell phone provider where you can pay for service contracts of varying length (monthly, one, two or three years). The longer the contract the bigger the discount on the per month rate. I don't know what the plan is for the subscription structure for Series 3 at this point.

Without revealing too much that would get me in trouble, the Series 3 is an important milestone in Tivo's history. I was, and still am a part of the engineering group that designed and tested the Series 3 over the past year. It was a very complex project, and while we did draw on some of the past experience with the DirecTV HD Tivo box, a lot of the work was uncharted territory, like CableCard functionality for one.

I hope the average consumer understands what Series 3 is and is not. For folks who get one I think they will be very satisfied with it. Watching TV shows in glorious widescreen HD is awesome. Sports programming in HD is spectacular. Once you go HD, you never go back, I say. A lot of blood, sweat, and late nights went into the Series 3 and I know I am very proud to have been involved in my small way in this project.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 06, 2006, 05:21:38 PM

a lot of the work was uncharted territory, like CableCard functionality for one.

...and if my cable provider would only upgrade from A/B cable I'd even buy one... *sigh* instead I get a broke-ass ,single tuner, ~10 hours of HD, cable PVR.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 06, 2006, 05:21:38 PM

Uhh, guys I hate to be the one to tell you, but the lifetime subscription option was discontinued quite some time ago.

Sonofabitch!

* gellar will pay anyway.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 05:52:56 PM »

I was a Tivo user for five years and loved it, but what does this offer over the Comcast HD DVR (Motorola DCT-6412/2005) I currently have? (besides the superior Tivo interface, of course)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:54:33 PM by Laner » Logged
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 06:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 06, 2006, 05:52:56 PM

I was a Tivo user for five years and loved it, but what does this offer over the Comcast HD DVR (Motorola DCT-6412/2005) I currently have? (besides the superior Tivo interface, of course)

Uh, the superior Tivo interface. icon_biggrin

I'm not familiar with the HD DVRs that the cable companies give out so I can't truly give a decent comparison, but the Series 3 would essentially replace their box with dual asymetric tuners, Dolby digital 5.1 output, broadband content, and up to 35 hours of HD content storage.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 06:11:22 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 06, 2006, 06:07:23 PM

That's enough for me.  The Comcast HD DVR is so bad that I don't even use the thing.  The Series 3 makes my pants tight.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »

$800!!!!  Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My wife loves Tivo, but I have no shot at that price.  Guess I'm waiting.  $800 seems a bit high, especially when there is a monthly fee.

How will the dual tuners work?  I need a cable box card or such?  Not sure how that would integrate with my current Comcast box. 

I also thought Tivo was working with some large cable companies, like Comcast, but I haven't ever heard about that again.

Love Tivo, but at $800, I don't love it that much yet!  I simply don't understand how people watch tv without Tivo though.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »

$800!!!!  Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My wife loves Tivo, but I have no shot at that price.  Guess I'm waiting.  $800 seems a bit high, especially when there is a monthly fee.

I wouldn't sweat it- the $1000 HD DirecTivos dropped in price very quickly so I don't think you will have a long wait until it reaches whatever your threshold is on affordability. 
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 06:44:56 PM »

If this holds to be true it looks like those that Lifetimers with current units (Series 1 or 2) can grandfather it over to the Series 3 for $200 - and their old units will have lifetime for another 12 months to boot.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4341434&&#post4341434

If it holds to be true...I haven't seen this recoridng myself. Great news if thats the case.  thumbsup
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 06:48:08 PM »

Series 3 is aimed at the higher end home theater consumer which is why it will be priced the way it is. I've seen talk at other Tivo messageboards where I think some people don't quite realize this.

The Series 3 will basically replace the cable box the cable company gives you. No need to jerry rig IR blasters or any of that nonsense. You buy a Series 3 and then turn in the old box back to the cable company. Dual tuners allow you to record two programs simultaneously or watch a program while recording another at the same time. Think of it as having two TV signals at the same time that you can swap back and forth. The other important aspect of dual tuners is that one tuner can be tuned to an HD signal while the other is on an analog signal. Also, if you have an HD over the air antenna (like the old "rabbit ears" back in the stone age of TV), you can connect that and receive the free HD signal that broadcasts across your geographic area-- again fully functional over the dual tuner configuration. The unique thing about the box is that it is a CableCard device. You need to get one or two CableCards from the cable company. To enable dual tuners, you need TWO CableCards. Inserting one will only enable a single tuner.

Tivo and Comcast did sign an agreement to develop the Tivo software and interface for Comcast DVR boxes. That is still being worked on. Different group and different building. A similar deal was recently signed with Cox Cable as well.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 06:49:27 PM »

I wouldn't sweat it- the $1000 HD DirecTivos dropped in price very quickly so I don't think you will have a long wait until it reaches whatever your threshold is on affordability.  
But I've been waiting for HD Tivo for soo long, it'll be so, so hard to wait.  Painful in fact smile.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 06:52:36 PM »

To enable dual tuners, you need TWO CableCards. Inserting one will only enable a single tuner.
I've read, at least in the past, that there were lots of problems with cable cards in general.  In some cases, maybe limited access to the cable companies extended channels, or pay per view, etc.  I'm assuming in this case, we'll have to make sure the companies support the unit?

Also, two cable cards, means an extra fee most likely from the cable companies I'm assuming. 

I've almost switched a few times to Comcast's DVD just for the dual tuner support, since I haven't wanted to go to Directv and pay its extra monthly fees.  Having dual tuners on a Tivo would be great, but adding a lot of extra just may be tough to justify.

Still, looks like an awesome product.

---
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 07:08:16 PM »

I need to stop reading this thread; especially after seeing the grandfathered lifetime option.  My one complaint about my TiVo is that I do still have to watch sports live for the clarity.  Although it's doubtful I'd wait until 1:30 to start watching a 1:00 game, it'd be great for the days where I'm not home and miss the game altogether.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 07:18:34 PM »

From my own personal experience, sports programming in HD is awesome,especially football. But I guess you didn't need to hear that.  icon_lol
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »

I'd forgotten how great HD was until a friend was over a few weeks back.  I put the Red Sox game on, and his jaw dropped (him being used to a 25 inch standard TV).  I still would argue that if someone isn't a sports buff or huge into widescreen movies, HD isn't 'necessary'.  For me it is though.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 07:35:29 PM »

There is still plenty of HD programming that is worth watching. A ton of TV series are broadcast in HD by the networks. CSI, 24, Prison Break, Leno, Letterman. A lot of stuff. Also, I've been watching a ton of Discovery HD. Travel shows. Documentaries. Nature shows. I guess no one truly 'has' to have HD, but it sure is purty!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:17 PM »

I'm not familiar with the HD DVRs that the cable companies give out so I can't truly give a decent comparison, but the Series 3 would essentially replace their box with dual asymetric tuners, Dolby digital 5.1 output, broadband content, and up to 35 hours of HD content storage.
Hm... my comcast DVR already all of that - except "broadband content" (and the storage space is probably less - I've never hit the limit myself) - what kind of broadband content are we talking about?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely interested in what the $800 gets me that I don't already have for $10/month through Comcast.

I also thought Tivo was working with some large cable companies, like Comcast, but I haven't ever heard about that again.

Supposedly they're going to start rolling out the new Tivo/Comcast software by the end of the year.  Haven't heard much about it lately either though.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:51:55 PM by Laner » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 08:06:20 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 06, 2006, 06:48:08 PM

The unique thing about the box is that it is a CableCard device. You need to get one or two CableCards from the cable company. To enable dual tuners, you need TWO CableCards. Inserting one will only enable a single tuner.

Shit.  I'm not sure if that's available in my area.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 08:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 06, 2006, 07:45:17 PM

Hm... my comcast DVR already all of that - except "broadband content" (and the storage space is probably less - I've never hit the limit myself) - what kind of broadband content are we talking about?
I know my Comcast DVR runs out of space at about 10 hours of HD. ~30 hours for SD. 10 hours is not enough, I find myself recording stuff my wife wants on the SD channels and save space for my stuff in HD, 35 hours would be plenty for both of us to have all our stuff in HD.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 12:47:49 AM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 06, 2006, 07:45:17 PM

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely interested in what the $800 gets me that I don't already have for $10/month through Comcast.

Supposedly they're going to start rolling out the new Tivo/Comcast software by the end of the year.  Haven't heard much about it lately either though.

Yeah, my box from Time Warner does this too.  I'm not sure how much it holds as far as HD content goes as we only record a few HD shows and the rest is kid stuff.  The interface isn't great but easy enough to figure out.  (I've never tried a Tivo fwiw)  We pay $5.95 iirc for the DVR feature and the HDDVR box isn't any more than a regular ol' digital cable box.  Plus when they upgrade, I just call them and switch it out, rather then pay $800.00 every 2-4 years.  And of course if it breaks, I call TW and have them bring me a new one.  It's not perfect but I don't see myself switching any time soon.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 08:40:23 PM »

I dunno... I can't live without the TiVo interface.  Unless Comcast has improved it in the year or so since I moved from LA, it was leaps and bounds behind the TiVo interface.  I'm willing to pay a one time premium to get it.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 08:51:19 PM »

I'm not sure how much HD programming it corresponds to, but the Time-Warner HD DVR has a 160 gig hard-drive - it's enough that I haven't worried about running out of space since I got it (about a year ago). And it records in 5.1 as well.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 09:53:28 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 06, 2006, 08:40:23 PM

I dunno... I can't live without the TiVo interface.  Unless Comcast has improved it in the year or so since I moved from LA, it was leaps and bounds behind the TiVo interface.  I'm willing to pay a one time premium to get it.

Agreed, the Scientific Atlantic box that Cox uses is a complete pain in the ass.  It also is going to force me to pull the season premier of House from the net as the son of a bitch didn't record it (even though it said it was).  I NEVER had that happen with my TiVo boxes.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 11:47:37 PM »

$800 is 4 times more than I paid for my TV..   I will pass.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 12:03:18 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 06, 2006, 11:47:37 PM

How small is that TV?!  My TV was *ahem* more expensive than the TiVo. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 12:36:42 AM »

My Comcast DVR is pretty good.  I don't watch much regular TV so I mainly use it for one-off recordings or to pause something when I get busy.  That said, I had an original DirecTivo when they first came out and I think that is probably the best piece of technology I've ever owned.  It worked flawlessly and did everything I asked of it.  What more could I ask for in a device.

A friend of mine had a cable card for his new TV and it was pretty much a nightmare.  If, when this Tivo hits the market, I hear glowing reviews of both it and the cable cards Comcast uses I'd be very interested.

Jimmy the Fish, what kind of outputs does this new Tivo have?  Due to my strange setup I need both component AND composite (or s-video) outputs.  Basically I have my Comcast DVR box output via component to my TV in HD if I am watching the television or I output via composite to my PC to watch in a little box when I am working at home.  Sounds complicated but it's not something I am willing to give up at the moment.  You should see the maze of cables I have back there, and I admit that it's amazing it works (since it basically outputs via s-video to the TV which displays it on the TV and then outputs it via composite to my PC All-in-Wonder card). icon_cool  Geek on!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 01:09:06 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 07, 2006, 12:03:18 AM

I have a 35" I picked up at Costco for $299, and a 32" I picked up at Costco for $250.00 (Both great looking Toshiba CRT's) when I returned my Samsung DLP last year and went back to non-HD signals because I was fed up with HD programming. Saved me $1200, and $60 extra month anyway.  nod  I rarely watch TV, but I do rent movies from Blockbluster Online, as long as the picture is pretty, I am happy - not picky at all.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 01:39:43 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 07, 2006, 01:09:06 AM

I have a 35" I picked up at Costco for $299, and a 32" I picked up at Costco for $250.00 (Both great looking Toshiba CRT's) when I returned my Samsung DLP last year and went back to non-HD signals because I was fed up with HD programming. Saved me $1200, and $60 extra month anyway.  nod  I rarely watch TV, but I do rent movies from Blockbluster Online, as long as the picture is pretty, I am happy - not picky at all.

So... not quite 4 times.

* gellar is asian and is thus better at math than you are.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 01:40:52 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 07, 2006, 01:09:06 AM

Combine the two TVs and you have the bliss that I enjoy.  Nothing better than gaming on that TV.  I'm REALLY looking forward to shows like House, Battlestar Galactica, and the like on it.  biggrin   Worth every penny.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 01:57:39 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on September 07, 2006, 12:36:42 AM

A friend of mine had a cable card for his new TV and it was pretty much a nightmare.  If, when this Tivo hits the market, I hear glowing reviews of both it and the cable cards Comcast uses I'd be very interested.

Jimmy the Fish, what kind of outputs does this new Tivo have?  Due to my strange setup I need both component AND composite (or s-video) outputs.  Basically I have my Comcast DVR box output via component to my TV in HD if I am watching the television or I output via composite to my PC to watch in a little box when I am working at home.  Sounds complicated but it's not something I am willing to give up at the moment.  You should see the maze of cables I have back there, and I admit that it's amazing it works (since it basically outputs via s-video to the TV which displays it on the TV and then outputs it via composite to my PC All-in-Wonder card). icon_cool  Geek on!

I think our implementation of CableCard is easy. Installation should be pretty simple. I don't know what kind out nightmare could be possible from simply inserting a card into a slot. I'd be curious to hear about your friend's experience.

The outputs on the back of the Series 3 include one HDMI, one set of component (RGB), one S-video and two sets of composite. If I understand your Frankenstein setup icon_smile correctly, you have component and composite outputting from the Comcast DVR box simultaneously. If that is the case, the Series 3 can do the exact same thing. When the Series 3 box is running, video output is sent to all the connector types at the same time. No connectors are disabled if one specific one is active. So, like at work I have a Series 3 running HDMI and composite at the same time to two different TVs.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 02:00:58 AM »

I am just not stimulated by HD, or huge TV's, seriously. (but I understand some people are)  We have a gamecube, that looks fine on any TV.  We have basic cable, which looks better on CRTs anyway, and we rent a few movies a month from BBOnline.  For those purposes, what we have now is even overkill.  We have no plans in the near OR distant future to upgrade to HD, it would just add extra costs for little benefit to us. (and we're both cheap in a big way)

My wife reads 2-3 books a week(and countless magazines), I play on the computer, or tinker around the house on projects.  I think combined, we watch less than 5 hours of TV a week, the kids watch cartoons 20-30 minutes a night.   I took the $1200 I got back from the refund after buying the two CRTs, and tossed it into a 5 year 5.94% CD, it will be about $1700 by then.  Which means the interest nearly paid for both of my CRT's.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 02:33:06 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 07, 2006, 01:40:52 AM

Combine the two TVs and you have the bliss that I enjoy.  Nothing better than gaming on that TV.  I'm REALLY looking forward to shows like House, Battlestar Galactica, and the like on it.  biggrin   Worth every penny.

Ugh, unless you are waiting to watch Battlestar Galactica on UHD several months later or just on DVD, it looks pretty awful since Sci-Fi doesn't have an HD channel yet. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 03:31:12 AM »

This sounds completely awesome, but I still think until a price drop that its absolutely absurd. Still Jimmy, congrats man and great work.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: