http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:55:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tivo rolls out movie and TV show downloads! (woot?)  (Read 1254 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »

Now this is what I am excited about!  Downloads on the PC are fine, but I want them on the TV.  $1.99 a rental?  Sign me up!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-020607amazontivo,0,6108661.story?coll=la-home-headlines

TiVo, Amazon offer movie downloads that can be viewed on TV sets

Most online download services, however, leave content essentially trapped on the customer's computer. TiVo and Amazon.com's major advantage is their ability to deliver movies and TV shows directly to the TiVo box, observers said.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:29:37 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:10:44 PM »

Interesting - this combats the previous problem people had with Unbox:  I don't want to watch a feature-length movie on my PC in most circumstances.

The 360's download service has apparently been more successful than originally anticipated - a clear differentiation between the two is that you're "buying" the movies with Unbox/Tivo, whereas you're renting them on the Xbox.  I might be in the minority, but for movies I own, I actually prefer having physical media.  I have no qualms about downloading/renting something that I think won't be a keeper (like, ahem, Nacho Libre.  Oops.)  The nice thing about ownership though is that you can re-download it whenever as long as the backend service stays in business.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:24:39 PM »

Good news though I'm sure it won't work with my being phased-out HD DirecTivo. 

But getting the content to the television is the essential link to the puzzle that I think almost everybody is missing.  Even something like Apple TV isn't perfect because you are still limited to what iTunes offers for DRM'd content and they have limited codec support for non-DRM'd stuff.  360 is even more limited since I don't think people will buy a $400 console just for movies and TV shows so that will ultimately limit the market. 

This deal is another nice step but Tivo's subscriber base is way too small to really have much of an impact either. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 07, 2007, 06:24:39 PM

But getting the content to the television is the essential link to the puzzle that I think almost everybody is missing.  Even something like Apple TV isn't perfect because you are still limited to what iTunes offers for DRM'd content and they have limited codec support for non-DRM'd stuff. 

Slight thread derailment, but I'm confused about Apple.  AppleTV seems totally DOA - as far as I can tell, the user experience is:

1.  Decide, while sitting idly on my couch, that I want to watch a movie.
2.  Make my way upstairs to my PC to browse itunes for one.
3.  Select my movie, purchase it, and begin the download.
4.  Go back downstairs and wait for the download to finish on the PC.
5.  Download finishes - and now the AppleTV box starts synchronizing it across my 802.11g network for an arbitrarily long period of time.
6.  My wife starts the microwave and the transfer's interrupted.
7.  Eventually watch my movie when it finishes syncing.

I will, of course, grant that step 6 is perhaps atypical.  Also, I'm not sure if the AppleTV box needs for the download to finish before it begins syncing to the STB.

This deal is another nice step but Tivo's subscriber base is way too small to really have much of an impact either. 

So is Unbox's.  But think of the combined numbers! slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 07, 2007, 06:40:02 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 07, 2007, 06:24:39 PM

But getting the content to the television is the essential link to the puzzle that I think almost everybody is missing.  Even something like Apple TV isn't perfect because you are still limited to what iTunes offers for DRM'd content and they have limited codec support for non-DRM'd stuff.

Slight thread derailment, but I'm confused about Apple.  AppleTV seems totally DOA - as far as I can tell, the user experience is:

1.  Decide, while sitting idly on my couch, that I want to watch a movie.
2.  Make my way upstairs to my PC to browse itunes for one.
3.  Select my movie, purchase it, and begin the download.
4.  Go back downstairs and wait for the download to finish on the PC.
5.  Download finishes - and now the AppleTV box starts synchronizing it across my 802.11g network for an arbitrarily long period of time.
6.  My wife starts the microwave and the transfer's interrupted.
7.  Eventually watch my movie when it finishes syncing.

I will, of course, grant that step 6 is perhaps atypical.  Also, I'm not sure if the AppleTV box needs for the download to finish before it begins syncing to the STB.

So is Unbox's.  But think of the combined numbers! slywink

I don't know enough about Apple TV to know if it's possible to interface with the iTunes store remotely or if the full thing needs to be downloaded before synching but I would be surprised by the latter.  Regular iTunes downloads let you start before the full stream is downloaded.  And even if it isn't their file sizes aren't that large.  I downloaded an episode of Heroes last night and it only took a few minutes to get the entire approximately 500 MB file. 

I do think, however, that Apple probably has the best shot at succeeding thanks to iTunes penetration.  It seems like they have most of the pay content that's out there (talking specifically about TV, movies are a different story).  But it still isn't perfect because there are always going to be exclusives on a different format/player. 
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:48:15 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on February 07, 2007, 05:25:45 PM

Now this is what I am excited about!  Downloads on the PC are fine, but I want them on the TV.  $1.99 a rental?  Sign me up!

Sign me down! (or something clever)

I pay $10 a month for Netflix and I can get two a week if I time my shipping correctly, so it doesn't save me any money *and* they are using my bandwidth which I pay for to get the movies to me!  At least Netflix pays the shipping.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 07:00:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 07, 2007, 06:47:45 PM

I don't know enough about Apple TV to know if it's possible to interface with the iTunes store remotely or if the full thing needs to be downloaded before synching but I would be surprised by the latter.  Regular iTunes downloads let you start before the full stream is downloaded.  And even if it isn't their file sizes aren't that large.  I downloaded an episode of Heroes last night and it only took a few minutes to get the entire approximately 500 MB file. 

I do think, however, that Apple probably has the best shot at succeeding thanks to iTunes penetration.  It seems like they have most of the pay content that's out there (talking specifically about TV, movies are a different story).  But it still isn't perfect because there are always going to be exclusives on a different format/player. 

You have to initiate the purchase a computer running iTunes.  I believe that after that the STB discovers and syncs the media.

Hmm - wait.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html

I'm not sure how to interpret this:

Apple TV streams as well as it syncs, so you can pair up to five additional computers and let friends and family stream their iTunes libraries to your TV. Apple TV stores up to 50 hours of video, ready to watch when you are. And if iTunes is still syncing what you want to see ó or if you donít want to sync at all ó you can watch a stream from your computer right away.

My other concern is whether or not the video quality will be sufficient on my TV - I don't mind it on an ipod screen, certainly, but I'd want to see it in person on a television.
(Apologies to Kobra for thread-jacking)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 07, 2007, 07:00:22 PM

My other concern is whether or not the video quality will be sufficient on my TV - I don't mind it on an ipod screen, certainly, but I'd want to see it in person on a television.
(Apologies to Kobra for thread-jacking)

Definitely sounds like all purchases have to be made from the PC.  Too bad.

Quality concerns are why I bought Heroes the other night.  During the initial roll out, quality was unacceptable on a television.  But they've since upped the resolution, to 480p I believe.  My extended VGA cable should be arriving today and I plan on trying to see if it looks as good as other 480p material on my HDTV. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 07, 2007, 06:48:15 PM

Quote from: Kobra on February 07, 2007, 05:25:45 PM

Sign me down! (or something clever)

I pay $10 a month for Netflix and I can get two a week if I time my shipping correctly, so it doesn't save me any money *and* they are using my bandwidth which I pay for to get the movies to me!  At least Netflix pays the shipping.

I will be the first to cancel Blockbuster Online once they roll this out.  I figure we watch 8 movies a month these days.  Currently I am paying $10 a month with BB.  Most people pay $20ish, I am not sure how long they'll let me continue with this deal I got (probably not long)

BB: 20/8 = $2.50 a movie
Tivo: $1.99 x 8 = $15.62

$5 savings a month without fucking with mail times and queues, and not having to drive up to the local BB store?

Sold.  Bring it on Tivo!

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »

This is an idea which is a long time coming. THANK GOD someone is jumping in.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »

More on this;

Amazon is pushing it hard;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/tivo/

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.24.asp

This can't come soon enough!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 02:00:27 PM by Kobra » Logged

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 04:45:36 PM »

To mess with the beta at Amazon for the Tivo thing;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/help/install-beta-client.html

To make sure you are on the initial beta rollout, apply to be on the Tivo beta list here;

http://www.tivo.com/4.7.asp

hypnotoad
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on February 07, 2007, 07:30:30 PM

I will be the first to cancel Blockbuster Online once they roll this out.  I figure we watch 8 movies a month these days.  Currently I am paying $10 a month with BB.  Most people pay $20ish, I am not sure how long they'll let me continue with this deal I got (probably not long)

$5 savings a month without fucking with mail times and queues, and not having to drive up to the local BB store?

Sold.  Bring it on Tivo!

If you look closer, you'll see that most rentals cost $2.99 to $3.99, with most of the newer stuff being the full $3.99.  Almost all of the $1.99 rentals are junk.

Add in the fact that Unbox only has a tiny fraction of the movies available that Blockbuster or Netflix has (it doesn't even have any Disney-owned studio support) and you'll see it's not a replacement for BB or Netflix yet.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 05:17:32 PM »

Quote from: hypnotoad on February 08, 2007, 04:55:34 PM

Quote from: Kobra on February 07, 2007, 07:30:30 PM

Sold.  Bring it on Tivo!

If you look closer, you'll see that most rentals cost $2.99 to $3.99, with most of the newer stuff being the full $3.99.  Almost all of the $1.99 rentals are junk.

Add in the fact that Unbox only has a tiny fraction of the movies available that Blockbuster or Netflix has (it doesn't even have any Disney-owned studio support) and you'll see it's not a replacement for BB or Netflix yet.

Welcome to the site hypnotoad! 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 06:02:46 PM »

I've been reading up on this on their forums.  Apparently the $1.99 rental agreement will be for Tivo owners specifically, and all movies will be $1.99 per their agreement with Tivo.  Also, Disney is being signed up already - it is in the negotiation phase right now.

Granted, there isn't 70,000 movies, but I am not interested in 70,000 movies with 90% of them being obscure or old movies. I am interested in first run, or more recent movies.  So for me, it will be a replacement for BB/Netflix, and will only get better as they add more studios.  thumbsup

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »

What would make unbox with Tivo perfect would be a subscription plan.  Basically having netflix where I could get a new movie immediately after finishing one would be amazing.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 06:56:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 08, 2007, 06:30:39 PM

What would make unbox with Tivo perfect would be a subscription plan.  Basically having netflix where I could get a new movie immediately after finishing one would be amazing.

This would be the sweetspot..  Pay something like $20 a month, and have Tivo + Downloads in one swipe. If they hold to $1.99 on all rentals, it will be nice.  Anything more and it wouldn't be that great for me as I will be much less inclined to pay $4 to download and view anything since the cost would quite rapidly eclipse Blockbuster Online.

$9.99 - First run, theater release movies the day they launch at the theater. (viewable within 24 hours of purchase)
$5.99 - Purchase price for DVD movies (re-downloadable anytime)
$1.99 - Rent any movie you want

I can't see paying $10-15 to own downloadable movies.  They seem to be locking themselves into the logic that people will pay the same price for download content as they will retail packaged product. Which seems reckless to me, there has to be a cost savings for no tangible and resellable product or it won't fly with a lot of people.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.  For people like my sister that pays $3-4 to rent from local video stores, downloading for the same price will seem like a great deal. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:00:02 PM by Kobra » Logged

hypnotoad
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 07:21:30 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on February 08, 2007, 06:02:46 PM

I've been reading up on this on their forums.  Apparently the $1.99 rental agreement will be for Tivo owners specifically, and all movies will be $1.99 per their agreement with Tivo.  Also, Disney is being signed up already - it is in the negotiation phase right now.

Granted, there isn't 70,000 movies, but I am not interested in 70,000 movies with 90% of them being obscure or old movies. I am interested in first run, or more recent movies.  So for me, it will be a replacement for BB/Netflix, and will only get better as they add more studios.  thumbsup

Where are you seeing the $1.99 for TiVo owners?  The official announcement only says that rentals will start at $1.99.  Single tv show episodes are $1.99 to buy, but that's all I see.

Out of curiosity, I went through my current queue and looked up the same titles on Amazon.  Of the next 15 movies in my queue, all major studio releases from the last two years, only two were available for rental on Unbox.  It's got a long way to go before it's even close to BB or Netflix.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 07:38:18 PM »

Does anyone know if Tivo is going to push down movies in HD (or at least DVD quality) with 5.1 DD or DTS sound?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 09:00:15 PM »

Quote from: hypnotoad on February 08, 2007, 07:21:30 PM

Quote from: Kobra on February 08, 2007, 06:02:46 PM

Where are you seeing the $1.99 for TiVo owners?  The official announcement only says that rentals will start at $1.99.  Single tv show episodes are $1.99 to buy, but that's all I see.

Out of curiosity, I went through my current queue and looked up the same titles on Amazon.  Of the next 15 movies in my queue, all major studio releases from the last two years, only two were available for rental on Unbox.  It's got a long way to go before it's even close to BB or Netflix.

This is a huge issue for me-1.99 for each individual TV episode is absurdly high. A single disc of a season (with 4 or more episodes) should be no more than 1.99.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 09:08:03 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 08, 2007, 09:00:15 PM

This is a huge issue for me-1.99 for each individual TV episode is absurdly high. A single disc of a season (with 4 or more episodes) should be no more than 1.99.

$1.99 is reasonable to me.  A full season of 22 episodes would be $44.00 which is about what most DVD sets cost.  And for some basic cable stuff where a full season is only 13 episodes and still retail over $40.00, then $1.99 is an even better deal. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: